Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Khashoggi Sons Spare
5 Killers From Execution
May 22, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
Khashoggi Sons Spare 5 Killers From Execution
They say they have forgiven Saudi convicts
- The family of slain
columnist Jamal Khashoggi announced Friday they have forgiven his Saudi killers, giving legal reprieve to the five government agents convicted of his murder who’d been sentenced to execution. "We, the sons of the martyr Jamal Khashoggi, announce that we forgive those who...
20 Saudis Accused of 'Torment
Through Fiendish Instinct'
Mar 25, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
20 Saudis Accused of 'Torment Through Fiendish Instinct'
Turkish prosecutors file indictment over Khashoggi killing
- Turkish prosecutors have formally charged two former aides of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and 18 other Saudi nationals over the 2018 killing of
columnist Jamal Khashoggi, officials said Wednesday. A statement from the Istanbul chief prosecutor's office said it has completed its investigation into Khashoggi'...
in Khashoggi's Killing
Dec 23, 2019 6:05 PM CST
Answers Sentences in Khashoggi's Killing
Saudis at the top of government evaded justice, publisher says
- Prosecution of the case involving the killing of Jamal Khashoggi may have been resolved to Saudi Arabia's satisfaction, but not to the
journalist was killed last year in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. And while five people have been sentenced to death in the...
5 Sentenced to Die
for Khashoggi Murder
Dec 23, 2019 6:34 AM CST
5 Sentenced to Die for Khashoggi Murder
But the 2 most senior suspects were acquitted
- After a secretive trial that lasted almost a year, Saudi Arabia has sentenced five people to die for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the country's Istanbul consulate last year. Prosecutors say, however, that three suspects, including the two most senior officials accused of involvement in the crime,...
About Saudi Prince
Dec 13, 2019 10:57 AM CST
Military Bill Forces Statement About Saudi Prince
Intelligence chief must make determination on whether MBS ordered Khashoggi killing
- The acting director of national intelligence will have 30 days to present a formal determination on the killers of
columnist Jamal Khashoggi under the military bill passed by the House this week. Though the White House was insistent that punitive measures against the Saudi regime be stripped from...
Uber CEO Scrambles to Undo
His Khashoggi Comment
Nov 11, 2019 9:06 AM CST
Uber CEO Scrambles to Undo His Khashoggi Comment
Dara Khosrowshahi called the journalist's murder a 'mistake'
- Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi made a mistake involving the word "mistake." In an
Axios on HBO
interview, he used the word to characterize Jamal Khashoggi's murder—and also his own company's fatal self-driving-car accident . CNBC reports it started with him saying, "I think that [the...
Familiar Business Name
Has a New Startup
Nov 7, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Familiar Business Name Has a New Startup
Travis Kalanick, formerly of Uber, is betting on food delivery with CloudKitchens
- The ousted founder of Uber is back in the business spotlight with a new startup, one that is attracting big money. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Travis Kalanick has gotten $400 million from a sovereign-wealth fund in Saudi Arabia for his company, CloudKitchens. The idea behind the firm revolves...
Telling the Full Story
of Khashoggi's Murder
Oct 2, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Telling the Full Story of Khashoggi's Murder
On the first anniversary of his death
- On Oct. 2, 2018, the journalist Jamal Khashoggi was murdered in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. One year later, Insider tells the story "as we know it," based on a 100-page report by the UN special rapporteur for extrajudicial, summary, or arbitrary executions released in June, hundreds of...
A Year On,
Saudi Crown Prince
Sep 26, 2019 11:40 AM CDT
A Year On, Saudi Crown Prince Talks Khashoggi
MBS says murder 'happened under my watch' but denies knowledge of it
- Saudi Arabia's crown prince has accepted responsibility for the first time in Jamal Khashoggi's murder at the kingdom's Istanbul consulate last October—though he still claims he had no knowledge of it. "I get all the responsibility, because it happened under my watch," Mohammed bin...
Khashoggi 'Murder Transcript'
Reveals His Final Words
Sep 11, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
Khashoggi 'Murder Transcript' Reveals His Final Words
His killers tried to force him to send message to son
- Jamal Khashoggi's murderers tried to force him to send a message to his son, according to Turkey's
newspaper, which says it has obtained recordings from the day the Saudi journalist was murdered inside the kingdom's Istanbul consulate. In transcripts published by the newspaper, a forensic expert...
Trump 'Angry' on
Khashoggi, but Crown
Prince a 'Friend of Mine'
Jun 29, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
Trump 'Angry' on Khashoggi, but Crown Prince a 'Friend of Mine'
President says Mohammed bin Salman is doing a 'spectacular job'
- While most world leaders gave Saudi Arabia's Mohammed bin Salman the side-eye at the G20 summit held in Osaka, Japan, the crown prince had at least one attendee in his corner: US President Trump. The
Wall Street Journal
reports Trump's "rare endorsement" of bin Salman came during...
per UN Report:
'We Are Coming
to Get You'
Jun 19, 2019 6:44 AM CDT
Khashoggi Audio, per UN Report: 'We Are Coming to Get You'
Report from special rapporteur says Saudi crown prince should be investigated
- Eleven Saudis are on trial in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi . Now, however, a UN human rights expert says those further up the ladder, including Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, should be investigated for the "extrajudicial" killing that Saudi Arabia itself should bear responsibility for. Per the
After Khashoggi Murder, Feds
OK'd Saudi Nuclear Permits
Jun 5, 2019 5:06 AM CDT
After Khashoggi Murder, Feds OK'd Saudi Nuclear Permits
Sen. Tim Kaine slams 'eagerness to give Saudis anything they want'
- Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine cried foul Tuesday after learning that the Trump administration approved the transfer of nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia on two occasions after the murder of
columnist Jamal Khashoggi. The Department of Energy informed the Senate on Tuesday that licenses to export the sensitive technology...
to Give Trump
to the Saudis
May 18, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Author's Snark to Give Trump to the Saudis Irks Maher Viewers
Fran Lebowitz later expressed 'regret' for remarks, says 'everyone misinterpreted' things
- A guest on Bill Maher's HBO show this week has walked back remarks she made about President Trump that tied to a murdered journalist. Deadline and Fox News report 68-year-old author Fran Lebowitz sat on Maher's stage Friday and took part in a discussion about Trump's time...
Report: Khashoggi Kids Getting
'Blood Money' Payments
Apr 2, 2019 5:27 AM CDT
Report: Khashoggi Kids Getting 'Blood Money' Payments
Government has reportedly given the 4 children homes worth up to $4M
- The four children of murdered Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi have received homes worth up to $4 million apiece and monthly payments of at least $10,000 as the kingdom tries to limit fallout from the killing, sources tell the
. The sources—including Saudi officials—say the payments,...
Mar 31, 2019 1:27 PM CDT
Khashoggi Killers Were Trained in America: Report
David Ignatius reports on how the kingdom 'misused' US training
- Saudis who took part in Jamal Khashoggi's murder were likely trained in America—a fact that appears to have further damaged relations between the US and Saudi Arabia, MSN reports. In the
, columnist David Ignatius reveals more about the killing itself and reports on how some Saudi...
2 New Reports
Are Bad News
Mar 18, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
2 New Reports Are Bad News for Saudi Crown Prince
'NYT' details abuses of special team, while 'Guardian' says he may have lost some power
- Two new reports suggest more trouble for Saudi's crown prince. The
New York Times
is out with a front-page story alleging a brutal campaign authorized by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to abduct and torture dissidents that began more than a year before the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi....
Royal Rift Could Threaten
Saudi Arabia's Stability
Mar 6, 2019 7:45 PM CST
Royal Rift Could Threaten Saudi Arabia's Stability
King and crown prince reportedly clash
- Tension may be increasing between Saudi Arabia's king and its crown prince, to such an extent that King Salman replaced his security team with loyalists while on a trip to Egypt last month, sources say. The king dismissed his Egyptian security personnel as well, the
reports, after his...
Body Likely Put in Oven
Mar 5, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Report: Khashoggi's Body Likely Put in Oven
Al Jazeera Arabic alleges the process took 3 days
- The Saudi consulate general's residence in Istanbul has long been a target of investigation into the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, and rightly so, alleges a new documentary by Al Jazeera Arabic . It claims, by way of Turkish officials, that the journalist's body was likely burned in what Vice...
Make a Major Move
Feb 24, 2019 12:05 PM CST
Post-Khashoggi, Saudis Make a Major Move
The kingdom names a female envoy to the US
- You're not seeing things: The next Saudi ambassador to America is a woman. The kingdom appointed Princess Reema bint Bandar bin Sultan to the post Saturday in an apparent attempt to ease relations with Washington after the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the
New York Times
reports. The daughter...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.