Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pompeo Slams 'Faux Outrage'
Over Khashoggi Murder
Jan 24, 2023 8:38 AM CST
Pompeo Slams 'Faux Outrage' Over Khashoggi Murder
Ex-secretary of state says in new book that late 'WaPo' journo is no 'Saudi Arabian Bob Woodward'
- In 2018, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo slammed the murder of Jamal Khashoggi , saying it violated "the norms of international law." That doesn't mean he was a fan of the
columnist, however, as clearly evidenced in his new book due out Tuesday, per the
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters
Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Dec 21, 2022 10:40 AM CST
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Tournament to welcome golfers from Saudi-backed LIV league
- Families of victims and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks are planning to protest at the Masters this spring in response to Augusta National Golf Club's decision to allow golfers from the Saudi-backed LIV league to participate. Augusta National Chairman Fred Ridley announced Tuesday that qualified golfers from both...
Judge's Move Likely
Marks End of Efforts
to Hold MBS Accountable
Dec 7, 2022 12:47 AM CST
Judge's Move Likely Marks End of Efforts to Hold MBS Accountable
Judge dismisses lawsuit against Saudi crown prince in journalist's murder
- The move Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee feared has come to pass: A US district court judge on Tuesday dismissed her lawsuit against Saudi Arabia's crown prince in the murder of the
journalist. Judge John Bates said he felt "uneasiness" in the decision, but had essentially no...
Biden: I Told Prince He's
to Blame for Khashoggi's Death
Jul 15, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
Biden: I Told Prince He's to Blame for Khashoggi's Death
Saudi ruler claimed he's not personally responsible, president says
- Under pressure after agreeing to meet with the leader of Saudi Arabia, President Biden said Friday that he told Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman behind closed doors that he blames him for the slaying of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. "He basically said that he was not personally responsible" for the...
Biden Offers Prince a Fist Bump
Jul 15, 2022 2:19 PM CDT
Biden Offers Prince a Fist Bump
President meets with controversial Prince MBS, though they avoid a handshake
- President Biden settled for a fist bump when meeting Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Saudi Arabia on Friday, avoiding the possibility of being photographed in a friendly handshake with the leader of a state he had promised to ostracize. Biden had his fist formed as he walked toward the...
Biden's First Middle East Trip
Raises Some Eyebrows
Jun 14, 2022 8:43 AM CDT
Biden's First Middle East Trip Raises Some Eyebrows
President will meet with Crown Prince Mohammed in Saudi Arabia, which he once called a 'pariah'
- President Biden will make his first trip to the Middle East next month with visits to Israel, the West Bank, and Saudi Arabia, the White House announced Tuesday. The decision to pay a call on Saudi leaders during the July 13-16 trip comes after Biden as a Democratic presidential candidate...
With This Tee-Off, World
of Golf Is in Turmoil
Jun 9, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
With This Tee-Off, World of Golf Is in Turmoil
Saudi-financed LIV league threatens to cause a major split among professional golfers
- Some big names in golf teed off Thursday in a tournament just outside London, but the resulting headlines aren't focusing on who might win or lose. Instead, they're all about how the inaugural LIV Golf Invitational has sent the world of professional golf into a tizzy. Why? The...
Musk Clashes With Prince
Over Twitter Takeover
Apr 15, 2022 11:27 AM CDT
Musk Clashes With Prince Over Twitter Takeover
He fires back after Saudi shareholder Prince Alwaleed bin Talal rejects takeover bid
- In the latest twist in Elon Musk's quest to buy Twitter, the Tesla CEO is clashing with a billionaire Saudi prince. Musk fired back Thursday after Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, a major Twitter shareholder, said he rejects Musk's takeover bid, al-Jazeera reports. "I don't believe that...
Turkey Moves Khashoggi
Murder Trial to ... Saudi Arabia
Apr 7, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Turkey Moves Khashoggi Murder Trial to ... Saudi Arabia
Country is now accused of trying to cover up its findings as it seeks to restore relations
- A court in Turkey has transferred the trial over Jamal Khashoggi's murder to Saudi Arabia, which is unlikely to even hear it, wiping away hopes from some human rights advocates that justice can finally be achieved for the journalist who was killed and dismembered inside the Saudi Consulate in...
'I Do Not Care'
Mar 3, 2022 11:08 AM CST
Saudi's MBS: 'I Do Not Care' if Biden Dislikes Me
Crown prince talks to 'Atlantic,' again denies role in Khashoggi murder
is out with an interview of Saudi Arabia's Mohammad bin Salman , his first with a non-Saudi outlet in about two years. The 36-year-old crown prince has been keeping a relatively low profile since the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi , and that factored heavily in the talk. Some...
Analysis: UAE Put Pegasus on
Phone of Khashoggi’s Fiancee
Dec 21, 2021 4:04 PM CST
Analysis: UAE Put Pegasus on Phone of Khashoggi’s Fiancee
Hanan Elatr was detained and interrogated months before the journalist was killed
- Months before the slaying of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a United Arab Emirates government agency installed spyware on the cellphone of his fiancee. It happened in April 2018 while Hanan Elatr was being detained, in handcuffs and a blindfold, in Dubai, the
reports, and was uncovered in a recent...
Khashoggi Arrest Falls Apart
Dec 8, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Khashoggi Arrest Falls Apart
Man arrested in Paris isn't the right Khaled Alotaibi
Officials didn't get their guy after all. ABC News reports the man arrested Tuesday at Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport in connection with the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul was the wrong man. In what was apparently a case of...
Calls to Cancel
Saudi Arabia Gig
Dec 6, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Bieber Rejects Calls to Cancel Saudi Arabia Gig
Singer played to packed crowd in Jeddah
- Justin Bieber sang his hits to a crowd in Saudi Arabia Sunday night, delighting the kingdom's Beliebers but dismaying human rights groups. The Canadian, whose Jeddah concert was part of Saudi Arabian Grand Prix events, had been urged to stay away because of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi...
Khashoggi 'Kill Team'
Members Were Trained in US
Jun 23, 2021 2:05 AM CDT
Khashoggi 'Kill Team' Members Were Trained in US
'New York Times' notes there is no evidence US was aware of Saudi crackdown at the time
- According to a
New York Times
exclusive report, four Saudi Arabian operatives who were on the "kill team" in journalist Jamal Khashoggi's 2018 assassination had received paramilitary training in the US the year before. The
spoke to sources familiar with the arrangement and viewed documents. The State...
Feb 26, 2021 1:35 PM CST
US Releases Damning Report on Saudi Prince
US intelligence blames Mohammed bin Salman for murder of Jamal Khashoggi
- The US released an intelligence report on Friday that directly implicates Saudi Arabia's crown prince in the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi . The central conclusion of the report was widely expected given that intelligence officials were said to have reached it soon after the brutal killing of Khashoggi,...
US to Share Report Blaming
MBS for Khashoggi Killing
Feb 25, 2021 7:52 AM CST
US to Share Report Blaming MBS for Khashoggi Killing
UN expert says it must be released 'for the sake of American democracy'
- Though Donald Trump played nice with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, it does not appear that President Biden will keep that up . The Biden administration plans to release on Thursday a declassified version of a 2018 intelligence report that concluded the crown prince approved and likely ordered the killing...
Saudi Crown Prince Sued
in US Court Over 2018 Murder
Oct 20, 2020 12:46 PM CDT
Saudi Crown Prince Sued in US Court Over 2018 Murder
Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee says he saw the journalist as an 'existential threat'
- Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee has sued Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in US federal court over the death of the Saudi journalist. Hatice Cengiz, along with the human rights organization founded by Khashoggi, allege in the suit that Khashoggi's torture, death, and dismemberment came at the "directive of...
'Parody of Justice' Slammed
After Khashoggi Verdicts
Sep 7, 2020 4:46 PM CDT
'Parody of Justice' Slammed After Khashoggi Verdicts
Saudis hand down 8 prison sentences
- A Saudi court issued final verdicts on Monday in the case of slain
columnist and Saudi critic Jamal Khashoggi after his son, who still resides in the kingdom, announced pardons that spared five of the convicted individuals from execution. While the trial draws to its conclusion in Saudi...
This Khashoggi Murder
Trial Won't Be Secret
Jul 3, 2020 10:33 AM CDT
This Khashoggi Murder Trial Won't Be Secret
20 Saudi nationals go on trial in absentia in Turkey
- Twenty Saudi nationals are on trial in absentia in Turkey for the 2018 murder of Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, including two former aides of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. Ahmed al-Asiri, the former deputy head of Saudi Arabia's general intelligence, and Saud al-Qahtani, an...
Khashoggi's Fiancee Rejects
Sons' Decision on Killers
May 22, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Khashoggi's Fiancee Rejects Sons' Decision on Killers
'No one has the right to pardon his killers,' says Hatice Cengiz
- Jamal Khashoggi's former fiancee is no fan of his sons' decision to forgive the five Saudi agents convicted of the journalist's 2018 murder in Istanbul. "His ambush and heinous murder does not have a statue of limitations and no one has the right to pardon his killers,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.