Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
77 Years After
US Soldiers Stole
Her Cake, a New One
Apr 29, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
77 Years After US Soldiers Stole Her Cake, a New One
US Army tries to make up for its shameless 1945 swipe from Italy's Meri Mion, now 90
- What should have been an exciting entry into teenhood for Meri Mion was marred by the fact that someone stole the birthday cake her mom had baked for her. Now, 77 years later, an act of contrition from the perp—none other than the US Army, reports the BBC . The...
Army Booted Her for Being
Transgender. Now She's Dead
Mar 4, 2021 8:14 AM CST
Army Booted Her for Being Transgender. Now She's Dead
South Korea's Byun Hui-su had been fighting to get reinstated
- She was declared unfit to serve in her country's army after having sex reassignment surgery, the first active-duty soldier to have such a procedure. Now, Byun Hui-su is dead, her body found Wednesday at her residence in Cheongju, South Korea, per the Yonhap News Agency . Emergency responders found the...
3 US Soldiers Killed at
Fort Stewart in Georgia
Oct 20, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
3 US Soldiers Killed at Fort Stewart in Georgia
3 others also injured when armored vehicle gets in an accident
- US Army officials say three soldiers were killed and three others were injured when the armored vehicle they were riding in was involved in an accident during training at Fort Stewart in Georgia, the AP reports. Officials with the Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield's 3rd Infantry Division said in a...
Macron Calls for
Nov 7, 2018 9:44 AM CST
Macron Calls for 'European Army' to Counter US, Russia
'Peace in Europe is precarious,' French president says, warning against rising nationalism
- Emmanuel Macron is calling for the formation of a "real European army," and while two of that potential force's foes, per the French president, are usual suspects, it's the third that's raising eyebrows. During a tour of WWI memorials in Verdun on Tuesday, Macron encouraged...
Haiti Has Gone 20 Years
Without an Army. No Longer
Jul 12, 2017 10:17 AM CDT
Haiti Has Gone 20 Years Without an Army. No Longer
Critics are wary about soldiers, meant to respond to natural disasters, being politicized
- After more than 20 years without an army, Haiti is recruiting for a new one. Disbanded in 1995 following a violent period of military rule, the army was afterward replaced by United Nations security forces. Those forces, however, are now preparing to leave Haiti in October. To fill the gap,...
Shacked Up in
for 11 Years
in case you missed it
Dec 5, 2015 4:20 PM CST
Army Deserter Shacked Up in Russian Forest for 11 Years
30-year-old's own family thought he was dead, buried another man by mistake
- For more than a decade, a Russian army deserter was believed dead and buried—until he turned up recently hiding out in the woods in a remote eastern part of the country, the
reports. A police spokeswoman said Monday that cops on the Kamchatka peninsula hauled in a 30-year-old...
Swoops In on Nazi
'Gold Train' Site
Sep 29, 2015 12:19 PM CDT
Polish Army Swoops In on Nazi 'Gold Train' Site
Explosives, radiation experts assessing site to rule out possible dangers
- The world has been hearing about the Nazi gold train for weeks, and we may finally be getting closer to a confirmation or denial. The Polish army has converged upon the southwestern Poland site where the train could be located, with explosives, chemical, and radiation experts making sure there's...
That 'War' Thing? So Passé
Dec 18, 2011 4:53 PM CST
That 'War' Thing? So Passé
Battle between world powers no longer profitable
- Not to jinx anything, but massive wars between world powers are really going out of style. "These prototypical wars have become increasingly rare, and the world hasn’t seen one since the three-week invasion of Iraq in 2003," argue Joshua S. Goldstein and Steven Pinker in the
Test Body Armor
Aug 17, 2011 10:43 AM CDT
Pentagon: Army Didn't Properly Test Body Armor
Army rushed through plates, can't prove they meet standards
- The Army didn’t properly test much of the body armor deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan and can’t prove that it meets military standards, the Pentagon’s inspector general declared in a scathing new report. Because of the demands of the conflict, the army rushed some bullet-blocking plates into...
More Than NASA
Jun 27, 2011 4:03 PM CDT
Troops' A/C Costs $20.2B— More Than NASA
Military spends $20B to cool tents in the Mideast
- Which would you rather have: a space program or cool army tents in the Mideast? The US military spends $20.2 billion annually on air conditioning for tents in Iraq and Afghanistan—an amount that NPR notes tops NASA's entire budget, all damages BP has paid for the Gulf...
Poll: Air Force Losing
Ground With Public
Jun 21, 2011 1:41 PM CDT
Poll: Air Force Losing Ground With Public
Army, Marines now ranked as more important
- The public now considers the Army and Marines significantly more important than the Air Force, according to a new Gallup poll. That might not sound that earth-shattering, but it represents a major shift in public thinking, Politico observes. In May 2001, the Air Force was overwhelmingly the public’s favorite,...
Mom: My Son Dieted to Death
...Thanks to the Army
Mar 27, 2011 4:26 PM CDT
Mom: My Son Dieted to Death ...Thanks to the Army
Glenni Wilsey lost 85 pounds in less than 4 months
- Glenni Wilsey, about six feet tall, weighed roughly 270 pounds in high school. When he died this month at age 20, he weighed just 197 pounds. He had shed 85 pounds in only 3 and a half months—because, his mother says, Army recruiters encourgaged him to do so. Wilsey...
Army Fires Rockets
at Yemen Protest:
Mar 4, 2011 9:59 AM CST
Army Fires Rockets at Yemen Protest: Rebels
2 killed, 7 wounded in attack, say demonstrators
- Yemen’s military fired rockets at rebel protesters in the northern city of Harf Sufyan today, killing two, and wounding 13, the demonstrators said in a statement. The AP reports that witnesses say soldiers in an army post opened fire with heavy machine guns, believing the protesters were trying to...
Feb 26, 2011 6:37 AM CST
Gates to Army: No More Wars Like Iraq
US must dial down 'controversial large-scale military intervention'
- Will the US ever undertake another war like the ones in Iraq and Afghanistan? Not if Defense Secretary Robert Gates has his way. “In my opinion, any future defense secretary who advises the president to again send a big American land army into Asia or into the Middle East...
After 50 Years,
a New Army Rifle
Feb 2, 2011 9:21 AM CST
After 50 Years, a New Army Rifle
M16, M4 may be replaced
- For nearly 50 years, US Army troops have relied on M4 and M16 rifles, but that could soon change. While Army leaders have long been loyal to the "combat proven" rifles, questions and complaints have arisen about their design and reliability. So the Army this week advertised its interest...
Egyptian Police Stand Down,
Army Joins Protest
Jan 29, 2011 1:59 PM CST
Egyptian Police Stand Down, Army Joins Protest
Chaos reigns in streets of Cairo
- Protesters in Cairo once again defied curfew today, but this time the police largely stood by and let them do it, the
reports. The military meanwhile seems to have switched sides; as protesters swarmed over Cairo’s central square, the officers stationed there threw off their helmets...
Jan 19, 2011 1:21 AM CST
Congo Commander Accused in Mass Rapes
Assaults on 51 women linked to death of soldier
- An army commander of the Democratic Republic of Congo has been accused by a victim and local officials of leading a mass rape of some 50 women. It's the largest single rape attack linked to the Congo army, reports the BBC . "Those who raped me were members of the...
Vowing to Punish Enemy,
S. Korea Launches Vast Drills
Dec 22, 2010 7:58 AM CST
Vowing to Punish Enemy, S. Korea Launches Vast Drills
Will 'punish the enemy if it provokes us again'
- South Korea is continuing to thumb its nose at the North, today launching three days military drills close to the DMZ, as hundreds of troops, tanks, jets, and helicopters gather, the AP reports. It’s the 48th such training this year—only 47 had been planned—and the largest joint...
Remains of 8 Soldiers Found in Same Grave at Arlington
Dec 3, 2010 9:18 AM CST
Remains of 8 Soldiers Found in Same Grave at Arlington
Screw up sparks criminal probe
- The Army has launched yet another criminal probe into Arlington National Cemetery, after eight urns marked “unknown” were found in a single grave. Bodies are misplaced or mixed up disturbingly often at Arlington, but this is the first time that it’s sparked a criminal probe. “When there’...
Oct 11, 2010 10:25 AM CDT
$100M Fraud Uncovered at California National Guard
Superiors apparently ignored missing, fabricated documents
- In an exclusive investigative report, the
exposes massive fraud at the California Army National Guard to the tune of $100 million in improper bonuses and recruiting incentives. From 1986 to 2009, Master Sgt. Toni Jaffe was in charge of approving the student loan repayments and bonuses the Guard...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.