Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
'Brazen' Suspect Has Been
Blowing Up ATMs in Florida
Jan 14, 2020 5:19 AM CST
'Brazen' Suspect Has Been Blowing Up ATMs in Florida
Latest Tampa Bay explosion yielded cash, police say
- Police in the Tampa Bay area aren't sure who has been blowing up ATMs—but they strongly suspect it is the same suspect who was seen spray-painting the lenses of surveillance cameras shortly before the explosions. There have been three ATM explosions in the area over the last few...
at Bank: Police
Jan 4, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Robber Sexually Assaults Hostage at Bank: Police
Nicholas August, 39, is arrested in Illinois
- A man armed with a pellet gun who took a woman hostage inside an Illinois bank sexually assaulted her before surrendering to authorities following a six-hour standoff, police said Saturday, the AP reports. Nicholas August, 39, of Rockford, was being held Saturday at the Winnebago County Jail on $2 million...
This Is How You Rob
a Bank at Christmas
Dec 25, 2019 7:42 AM CST
This Is How You Rob a Bank at Christmas
You could start tossing wads of cash in the air and screaming 'Merry Christmas!'
- If you're going to rob a bank around Christmas, you might as well resemble Santa, flee your targeted bank tossing wads of cash in the air while screaming "Merry Christmas!," then quietly head to a nearby Starbucks to await the proper authorities. Gentle reader, KKTV brings you...
Wells Fargo: Ex-Worker
Took $88K From Vault
Dec 14, 2019 2:00 PM CST
Wells Fargo: Ex-Worker Took $88K From Vault
Suspect Arlando M. Henderson allegedly posted on social media about his newfound riches
- Federal authorities are accusing a former Wells Fargo employee of stealing more than $88,000 in cash from the vault of a bank in North Carolina, the AP reports. An indictment unsealed this week alleges 29-year-old Arlando M. Henderson took the cash from customer deposits on at least 18 occasions...
Cops: Bank Robber Told Teller
He Had Given Him Too Much
Nov 22, 2019 3:42 AM CST
Cops: Bank Robber Told Teller He Had Given Him Too Much
Florida man said he only wanted $1.1K
- Sandy Hawkins is an unusual bank robbery suspect in several ways: He is 73 years old, he said he wanted to be caught—and he told the teller he had given him too much money, police say. The Florida man is accused of robbing a Boca Raton branch of Wells...
Day Before Wedding, Woman
Tells Fiance to Turn Himself In
Oct 7, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
Day Before Wedding, Woman Tells Fiance to Turn Himself In
She saw an online post apparently showing him robbing a bank to pay for ring, venue
- Coming up with the cash to pay for a wedding can be a stressful endeavor, and in a case out of Texas, it turned out to be a criminal endeavor for a groom-to-be. ABC News reports that Heath Edward Bumpous was arrested and charged with aggravated robbery after a Friday...
FBI Seeks 'Mummy Marauder'
Sep 18, 2019 2:34 AM CDT
FBI Seeks 'Mummy Marauder'
Man wrapped in gauze robbed Texas bank
- The FBI's Houston office is trying to catch a bank robber dubbed the "Mummy Marauder" before the city's news outlets can use the headline "The Mummy Returns." The FBI says the robber had white gauze wrapped around his face and arms when he robbed the...
FBI Captures 'Pink Lady Bandit'
Jul 29, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
FBI Captures 'Pink Lady Bandit'
The woman allegedly robbed 4 banks across the East Coast in one week
- In less than a week, a woman the FBI dubbed the "Pink Lady Bandit" robbed four East Coast banks, but on Sunday, she was caught. The FBI says the suspect carried a "distinctive pink handbag" during at least two of the robberies—hence the nickname. Her modus operandi...
He Was a Boeing Engineer.
Then Came the Oxy Prescription
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 30, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
He Was a Boeing Engineer. Then Came the Oxy Prescription
Anthony Hathaway ended up robbing banks to support his drug addiction
- For a while, Anthony Hathaway looked like a success story: As a 20-year-old with only a high school diploma, he went to work as a technical designer for Boeing in Everett, Washington. By 30, he was an engineer in the galley systems group pulling in more than $100,000 a...
Cops: Dying Bank Robber
Robbed Banks 9 Days
May 15, 2019 7:18 AM CDT
Cops: Dying Bank Robber Robbed Banks 9 Days After Release
He told judge he wanted to spend time with family
- At an April 29 sentencing hearing, convicted bank robber Jamie Frierson pleaded for leniency, saying he was dying of colon cancer and wanted to spend the little time he has left with his family. He was released after being sentenced to time served—and he robbed a bank nine days...
A Bank Manager Stole $4.3M.
He Almost Got Away With It
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 5, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
A Bank Manager Stole $4.3M. He Almost Got Away With It
Gerardo Adan Cazarez Valenzuela was done in by a random checkpoint in Mexico
- Gerardo Adan Cazarez Valenzuela knew the KeyBank branch in Anchorage, Alaska, well. He worked there as the bank's cash vault services manager and was aware of the security setup—which didn't include armed guards. And so a plan was born: In July 2011, he enabled the ability for...
Cops: Ex-Chief Wounded
After Second Bank Robbery
Apr 1, 2019 4:23 AM CDT
Cops: Ex-Chief Wounded After Second Bank Robbery
2 SC deputies shot at suspect after car chase
- A former South Carolina police chief on probation for robbing a bank in 2017 is accused of robbing another bank and leading authorities on a car chase that ended when he was shot at and wounded, the AP reports. Former Williamston police chief Richard Edward Inman was charged last week...
Cops: Bank Robbers Were
Girls, Ages 14 and 15
Feb 22, 2019 4:45 PM CST
Cops: Bank Robbers Were Girls, Ages 14 and 15
14-year-old demanded money or she'd 'blow everything up,' police say
- Two Massachusetts girls, ages 14 and 15, are being held in the armed robbery of a bank, police say. Bay Coast Bank in Fall River was robbed Wednesday when, police say, the 14-year-old walked into Bay Coast Bank and gave a teller a note demanding cash or she “would...
Uber Driver Reports
Would-Be Bank Robbers
Feb 8, 2019 12:01 AM CST
Uber Driver Reports Would-Be Bank Robbers
They also called an Uber for a getaway
- Things did not work out well for three Oklahoma City teenagers who allegedly planned to rob a bank—using Uber as transportation. Police say the Uber driver who took the teens to the bank Tuesday afternoon called authorities after hearing one of them say he had a gun and was...
Just Had Its
Dec 22, 2018 8:30 AM CST
Northernmost Inhabited Area Just Had Its First Bank Robbery
Congratulations (?), Svalbard
- There's a first time for everything, and this week in a remote Norwegian archipelago, that first was a bank robbery. The
reports an armed man pulled off the feat in Svalbard, located in the Arctic Ocean just a tad over 600 miles from the North Pole and said...
Shootout With Brazil Bank
Robbers Leaves 12 Dead
Dec 7, 2018 2:39 PM CST
Shootout With Brazil Bank Robbers Leaves 12 Dead
Victims include 2 children
- At least 12 people, including two children, were killed Friday when police engaged in a shootout with bank robbers, according to authorities in northeastern Brazil, per the AP . The two attempted heists in the state of Ceara began around 2:30am in the downtown area of the city of Milagres....
He Hit a $19M Jackpot.
Then Everything Went Wrong
in case you missed it
Oct 6, 2018 1:15 PM CDT
He Hit a $19M Jackpot. Then Everything Went Wrong
Jim Hayes eventually went bankrupt and turned to robbing banks
- You know those stories about people who strike it rich in the lottery, only to see their lives spiral out of control? Meet Exhibit A, Jim Hayes. At the Daily Beast , Natalie O'Neill recounts the crazy rags-to-riches-to-rags tale. In 1998, the 35-year-old Californian was working as a security guard...
Would-Be Bank Robber Balks,
Asks to Open Account Instead
Aug 1, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Would-Be Bank Robber Balks, Asks to Open Account Instead
Unfortunately, he was lacking the proper ID to do so
- A would-be bank robber turned into a would-be bank customer Friday afternoon, police say. The suspect walked into a Bayonne, NJ, bank and handed a teller a note demanding "all the money." But as the teller read the note, he snatched it back and said he wanted to...
Cops Stop a Very
Strange Bank Heist Attempt
Jun 8, 2018 12:25 PM CDT
Cops Stop a Very Strange Bank Heist Attempt
Woman demanded $6K, with note promising manager a sexual favor
- "I don't think I have ever heard of an attempt to rob a bank quite like this,'' says Jefferson County Chief Deputy Randy Christian in Alabama. It's easy to see why: Police say a 24-year-old woman entered a bank in Forestdale Wednesday morning and delivered...
Did Book Reveal
Feb 13, 2018 3:12 AM CST
Did Book Reveal Mastermind of Audacious 1976 Heist?
Jacques Cassandri, 74, is on trial
- Prosecutors in France say he was the mastermind behind the "heist of the century"—though "mastermind" might not be the best word for somebody who writes a book implicating himself in an unsolved crime. Jacques Cassandri, a 74-year-old organized crime figure in Marseille, is on trial for...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.