Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman With Toy Gun Takes
Her Own Money From Bank
Sep 14, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
Woman With Toy Gun Takes Her Own Money From Bank
Sali Hafez said Beirut bank had $20K of her money, she needed to pay for sister's treatment
- A woman accompanied by activists and brandishing what she said was a toy pistol broke into a Beirut bank branch on Wednesday, taking $13,000 from her trapped savings. Sali Hafez told Al-Jadeed TV that she needed the money to fund her 23-year-old sister’s cancer treatment, reports the AP...
One NYC Bank Robbery Among
Hundreds in 1970s Stands Out
Sep 4, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
One NYC Bank Robbery Among Hundreds in 1970s Stands Out
FBI agent Jim Murphy is still living with the consequences
- In many ways, Aug. 22, 1971, was like any other day in New York City: There was a bank robbery in progress. As Daniel Edward Rosen writes in
bank heists were a daily occurrence in Gotham at the time, with 469 occurring in 1970-71. But the one at...
FBI Is Seeking the
'Empty Promise Bandit'
Aug 25, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
FBI Is Seeking the 'Empty Promise Bandit'
Suspect made 'assertions that he will never be able to follow up on' in Denver-area bank robberies
- He's been dubbed the "Empty Promise Bandit"—and if he doesn't like the nickname, the FBI would be happy to meet him in person to discuss it. The FBI Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force says the suspect has robbed at least three banks in the...
After Tunnel Collapses,
Alleged Thieves Call Cops
Aug 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
After Tunnel Collapses, Alleged Thieves Call Cops
Firefighters worked for 8 hours to free a man, later arrested, from tunnel below Rome
- A man rescued from a tunnel 20 feet beneath the streets of Rome may have suffered the consequences of his own attempted bank robbery. One of three alleged gang members who escaped the tunnel when it collapsed below the surface of a road near the Vatican on Thursday called for...
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit'
Got Out of Jail, Began
Robbing Banks Again
Aug 9, 2022 12:41 PM CDT
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit' Got Out of Jail, Began Robbing Banks Again
Steven Gregory Gass didn't learn his lesson in prison the first time around, say Maryland police
- The "Old Man Bandit" has been arrested after trying to rob a Maryland bank—one of dozens he's targeted over a criminal career spanning 45 years, according to police. Montgomery County Police say Steven Gregory Gass, 67—who served more than eight years in prison in Florida after...
2 Suspects Killed,
6 Cops Hurt in
Jun 29, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
2 Suspects Killed, 6 Cops Hurt in 'Chaotic, Violent' Bank Robbery
Dozens of shots were fired in BC incident
- Two suspects were shot dead and six police officers were injured in what police describe as a "chaotic, tragic, and violent" attempted bank robbery in British Columbia on Tuesday morning. Police say shooting began outside the Bank of Montreal branch in a largely residential area of Saanich after officers...
The LA Shootout Was Like
Something Straight Out of
May 29, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
The LA Shootout Was Like Something Straight Out of
Mel Magazine goes inside an infamous 1997 bank robbery
- When it comes to Los Angeles bank robbers, Larry Phillips and Emil Matasareanu were like no others. In a lengthy piece for
, Zaron Burnett III takes a look into the havoc wrought by the two weightlifters, friends who teamed up to start robbing banks in the mid-'90s....
FBI Warns of
'Route 91 Bandit':
'We Need to Put
a Stop to This'
Feb 14, 2022 7:00 AM CST
FBI Warns of 'Route 91 Bandit': 'We Need to Put a Stop to This'
$10K reward for perp who's hit nearly a dozen banks along New England interstate
- His disguise is no more elaborate than a coronavirus-preventing face mask (usually not worn properly, hanging underneath his nose), but the man dubbed the "Route 91 Bandit" has still managed to pull off nearly a dozen bank robberies throughout New England over the past several months. Now, the FBI...
Cops: Bank Robber Made
Deposit in ATM Outside
Dec 16, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Cops: Bank Robber Made Deposit in ATM Outside
He was a Wells Fargo robber, and also a customer
- Police in Delaware say a man who robbed a Wilmington bank on Saturday didn't keep the cash for long—after fleeing the Wells Fargo branch, he paused to make a deposit in the ATM outside. Police say McRoberts Williams, a 44-year-old California resident, handed a note to a teller...
US Marshals Say They Solved
52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Nov 14, 2021 4:29 PM CST
US Marshals Say They Solved 52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Man who died peacefully at home was the culprit, they say
- A 20-year-old bank teller in Cleveland walked out of work with $215,000 in a paper bag in 1969, then disappeared. Ted Conrad was indicted but never found. Tom Randele died of cancer in May 2021 in Massachusetts, surrounded by his loving family. The US Marshals Service says they’re...
Police: Bank Robbery Suspects
Caught While Switching Cars
Oct 17, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Police: Bank Robbery Suspects Caught While Switching Cars
Accused robbers with clever getaway scheme crashed, were caught
- It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Three men police say are suspects in a bank robbery in Charlotte, North Carolina, stopped to switch to a different getaway car. Their planning fell through, however, and the police saw the switch take place, the
Bank Robbers Place Hostages
on Roofs of Getaway Cars
Aug 30, 2021 9:48 AM CDT
Bank Robbers Place Hostages on Roofs of Getaway Cars
That was the scene in Aracatuba, Brazil, on Monday
- Brazilian bank robbers allegedly made a grim use of hostages early Monday with the BBC reporting CCTV footage posted to social media showed people strapped to the hood and roofs of getaway vehicles. One person was "seen crouching on the hood" of a vehicle, with another person seen protruding...
YouTubers' Prank Almost
Killed a Guy. Now, Guilty Pleas
Apr 1, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
YouTubers' Prank Almost Killed a Guy. Now, Guilty Pleas
Alan and Alex Stokes escape jail, get community service and probation
- Twin YouTube stars who were facing up to five years behind bars for a pair of bank robbery pranks have managed to avoid prison with guilty pleas. Against the objections of prosecutors, a California judge agreed to reduce the felony false imprisonment charge to a misdemeanor if Alan and Alex...
Court: Prosecutor Shouldn't
Have Shown Jury
Jan 21, 2021 11:44 AM CST
Court: Prosecutor Shouldn't Have Shown Jury
Photo from horror movie helped NJ prosecutors secure robbery conviction
- New Jersey man Damon Williams didn't brandish an ax, stick his face through a door, or say "Heeere's Damon" when he stole $4,600 from a bank in 2014, and his lawyers say it was unfair for prosecutors to liken him to Jack Nicholson's character in...
The 'Too Tall Bandit'
Dec 3, 2020 8:12 AM CST
The 'Too Tall Bandit' Strikes Again
FBI says tall serial bank robber hit 2 NC banks in November
- A prolific bank robber known as the "Too Tall Bandit" is reportedly back in action after a two-year hiatus, and the FBI is desperate for tips. A man believed to have robbed 16 banks in Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina since 2009 hit the United Community Bank in...
US Agencies: N. Korea Funds
Nukes With 'Bank Robbery'
Aug 27, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
US Agencies: N. Korea Funds Nukes With 'Bank Robbery'
FBI, Treasury, and other agencies say hacking scheme 'may erode confidence' in banking systems
- Hackers linked to North Korea's government are trying to rob banks around the world to fund the country's nuclear weapons programs. That's according to the FBI, the US Treasury, US Cyber Command, and Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, which warned of the behavior in...
Man Robs Bank,
Jul 17, 2020 12:00 AM CDT
Man Robs Bank, Blames COVID-19
'I didn't get a stimulus or that 10K loan'
- A man who claimed to be a business owner robbed a bank and blamed the pandemic, police in Houston say. In the July 8 robbery, the man, who was wearing a bandanna over his face, handed the teller a note saying he hadn't received a stimulus check, ABC 13...
2 Men Charged With
Blowing Up ATMs
Mar 24, 2020 4:05 AM CDT
2 Men Charged With Blowing Up ATMs
They were arrested after Georgia blast
- Two men are facing federal charges in Florida for using small explosions to rob ATMs in the Tampa Bay area, authorities said Monday. The US Attorney's Office in Tampa has charged Mawdo Malick Sallah, 33, of Clearwater, Fla., and Kirk Douglas Johnson, 34, of Anderson, SC, with conspiring to...
Their First Date Ended With
a 5-Year Prison Sentence
Feb 14, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Their First Date Ended With a 5-Year Prison Sentence
Christopher Castillo ends up behind bars; his date was let off
- It should be a happy Valentine's Day if you can avoid a date like this: A Rhode Island man was sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday in connection with a 2016 bank robbery he committed while on a first date with a woman who unwittingly acted as his...
At the Top of the World,
a Very Unusual Crime
in case you missed it
Feb 1, 2020 11:30 AM CST
At the Top of the World, a Very Unusual Crime
Revisiting the bank robbery that shook Longyearbyen, Norway
- Though rifles abound in Longyearbyen, Norway, the worst crimes that tended to occur were the theft of unattended boots—until late 2018, that is. In a piece for
, David Kushner takes readers to one of the northernmost settlements on the planet, a town of 2,200 that sits...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.