Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
These States Are Pulling
Their Weight for US Economy
Jun 5, 2023 2:49 PM CDT
These States Are Pulling Their Weight for US Economy
Washington state has the best economy, West Virginia the worst, per WalletHub ranking
- When it comes to the US economy, a variety of factors underlie its health (or lack thereof), with the economies of individual states playing a significant part. WalletHub wanted to see which ones are really pulling their weight when it comes to contributing to the national coffers, so it looked...
Video of North Carolina
Bus Shootout Released
May 29, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Video of North Carolina Bus Shootout Released
Driver, passenger were injured
- A bus driver was fired and a passenger was arrested after a shootout on a moving bus in North Carolina. The Charlotte Area Transit System has released video of the May 18 incident, which injured both the driver and the passenger, WRAL reports. The transit system says driver, David Fullard...
She Was Abducted 6 Years Ago.
A Netflix Watcher Found Her
in case you missed it
May 20, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
She Was Abducted 6 Years Ago. A Netflix Watcher Found Her
Illinois' Kayla Unbehaun, 15, turns up in North Carolina; mom is arrested
- In November, the Netflix series
featured an episode on family abductions, including the case of Kayla Unbehaun, who vanished from South Elgin, Illinois, at the age of 9 after a visit with her mom, who didn't have custody of her. Nearly six years later, Kayla, now 15,...
'Not a Single Republican' Kept
Promise on Abortion: Governor
May 20, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
'Not a Single Republican' Kept Promise on Abortion: Governor
Cooper suggests North Carolina GOP could pay at the ballot box
- After legislative Republicans overrode his veto of North Carolina's new abortion restrictions, Gov. Roy Cooper responded with fresh criticism of them on Saturday. "It's amazing how they've ignored the will of the people here," Cooper said on MSNBC, per Politico . When he vetoed the legislation...
Abortion Ban Veto
May 16, 2023 8:36 PM CDT
North Carolina Republicans Override Governor's Abortion Ban Veto
Most abortions will be banned after the 12-week mark in North Carolina
- Legislation banning most abortions after 12 weeks of pregnancy will become law in North Carolina after the state’s Republican-controlled General Assembly successfully overrode the Democratic governor’s veto late Tuesday, the AP reports. The House completed the second and final part of the override vote Tuesday night after a...
Teen Killed in Outer Banks
When Sand Dune Collapses
May 8, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Teen Killed in Outer Banks When Sand Dune Collapses
Trapped him in a hole that had been dug into the side
- A 17-year-old boy visiting North Carolina's Outer Banks from Virginia died when a hole dug into the side of a sand dune collapsed on top of him Saturday. "At approximately 2pm, seashore law enforcement rangers responded to a 911 call regarding a teenager trapped in a hole,"...
Abortion Timeline to 12 Weeks
May 4, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
Lawmakers Reduce Abortion Timeline to 12 Weeks
Governor promises veto, which may be overridden
- North Carolina lawmakers on Thursday approved and sent to the governor a ban on nearly all abortions after 12 weeks of pregnancy, down from the current 20 weeks, in response to last year's overturning of Roe v. Wade by the US Supreme Court. The ban is one of the...
In North Carolina, GOP
Scores Big Court Wins
Apr 28, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
In North Carolina, GOP Scores Big Court Wins
Rulings may give Republicans an edge in next congressional elections
- In massive victories for Republicans, the North Carolina Supreme Court on Friday threw out a previous ruling against gerrymandered voting maps and upheld a photo voter identification law that colleagues had struck down as racially biased. The rulings likely give the GOP-controlled legislature the ability to rework the state's...
Man Charged With Shooting Girl,
6, After Ball Rolled in His Yard
Apr 21, 2023 12:31 AM CDT
Man Charged With Shooting Girl, 6, After Ball Rolled in His Yard
A witness says another dad had confronted suspect before the shooting
- The man accused of shooting a 6-year-old girl and her parents after a ball rolled into his yard has been arrested. Robert Louis Singletary allegedly fled North Carolina after the Tuesday shooting, which left all three injured, and was found Thursday in Florida. Authorities say the 24-year-old turned himself in,...
Girl Shot After
Ball Rolled Into
Yard: 'No Place
Is Truly Safe'
Apr 20, 2023 6:44 AM CDT
Girl Shot After Ball Rolled Into Yard: 'No Place Is Truly Safe'
4 separate incidents in past week over apparent mistakes sheds light on violence over 'banal' errors
- The shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl last week by 84-year-old Andrew Lester—who said he was "scared to death" of the Missouri teen when he showed up at Lester's home in error to pick up his younger brothers—was followed soon after by the fatal shooting of 20-year-old...
Boy Banned From
the Hard Way
Apr 18, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Boy Banned From Amusement Park, the Hard Way
NC amusement park has to rescue 13-year-old stuck in claw machine
- The 13-year-old boy had his eyes on the prize, but the problem that amusement park officials had was that he had his body inside the claw machine in his attempt to swipe it. Officials at Carowinds park in North Carolina found the unnamed teenager trapped in a claw machine, which...
Amazon Driver Walked Right
Through a Police Standoff
Mar 28, 2023 4:44 PM CDT
Amazon Driver Walked Right Through a Police Standoff
Viral video shows driver walking right by cops to make a delivery
- One Amazon delivery driver was apparently so hellbent on doing his job that he walked through a police standoff in North Carolina, reports the
. The scene unfolded in Cary, North Carolina, when the driver showed up last month and strode past several police cars and cops to make his...
Home Collapses Into Ocean
on North Carolina's Outer Banks
Mar 15, 2023 1:39 AM CDT
Home Collapses Into Ocean on North Carolina's Outer Banks
Other homes collapsed in same area last year
- A house collapsed into the ocean Monday on the string of islands just off the coast of North Carolina, according to US National Park Service officials. Officials warned visitors to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore on the state's Outer Banks to watch out for debris from a collapsed one-story...
Girl, 13, Found
Locked in Shed
2 Weeks After
Mar 14, 2023 12:32 AM CDT
Girl, 13, Found Locked in Shed 2 Weeks After Vanishing
Jorge Ivan Santos Camacho, 34, reportedly smiled as charges against him were read
- A 13-year-old girl who went missing from Dallas, Texas, nearly two weeks ago has been found alive in North Carolina. Police say the teen met the 34-year-old suspect, Jorge Ivan Santos Camacho, on an app and he groomed her and convinced her to run away from her family, NBC DFW...
See If You Can Spot What
Doesn't Belong in This Attic
Mar 11, 2023 7:00 AM CST
See If You Can Spot What Doesn't Belong in This Attic
Home inspector stumbles on alligator holed up in NC home
- Alligators have popped up in Florida swimming pools , a Brooklyn lake , and even in a post office . North Carolina attic is a new one, in a discovery out of New Hanover County by a code compliance officer making his rounds. Per WECT , Dean Brown was inspecting a new home under...
Boy Dies After 'the Most
Exciting Moment of His Life'
Feb 1, 2023 4:00 AM CST
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
He suffered cardiac arrest during his first bull riding event
- A 14-year-old boy is dead after riding a bull for the first time at a North Carolina rodeo. The family of Denim Bradshaw says he got in the ring at the Rafter K. Rodeo Winter Series at American Legion Post 290 in the city of King on Saturday night, and...
Someone Is Hiding
Razor Blades in
Gas Pump Handles
Jan 27, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
North Carolina police warn people to be on the alert
- Authorities in North Carolina have issued a scary warning: Watch out for razor blades when you reach for the pump at a gas station. The Forest City Police Department says in a press release that razor blades were found attached to the undersides of the handles of pumps in that...
Here Are the Worst States
in America for Drivers
Jan 16, 2023 1:02 PM CST
Here Are the Worst States in America for Drivers
And the best, per WalletHub's ranking, which puts Hawaii in last place
- Whether we get behind the wheel for leisurely cruising, for our daily commutes, or to take care of errands, American drivers have long contended with traffic, potholes, fluctuating gas prices, and the other annoyances. WalletHub wanted to see which states were better to drive in than others, and it looked...
NC Parents Waited Weeks
to Report Girl's Disappearance
Dec 21, 2022 11:31 AM CST
NC Parents Waited Weeks to Report Girl's Disappearance
They failed to notify law enforcement that Madalina Cojocari was missing, cops say
- An 11-year-old girl from North Carolina has been missing for a month—though authorities say they only learned that a week ago. Police have charged the girl's mother and stepfather with failure to report the disappearance of a child to law enforcement. They say the couple only notified Madalina...
One Tree Hill
Star Talks of
'Absolute Living Nightmare'
Dec 5, 2022 2:00 PM CST
One Tree Hill
Star Talks of 'Absolute Living Nightmare'
William Friend, husband of Bevin Prince, died after being struck by lightning in July
One Tree Hill
alum Bevin Prince has spoken out for the first time since her husband's death after being struck by lightning in July, saying what started "like any other day that we’d done a million times" turned into an "absolute living nightmare." In a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.