Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman, 61, Dies in
'Tragic Incident' at
Popular Waterfall Spot
Sep 26, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Woman, 61, Dies in 'Tragic Incident' at Popular Waterfall Spot
Nancy Sampson fell 150 feet from overlook off of North Carolina's Blue Ridge Parkway
- A South Carolina woman has died after falling off a cliff on neighboring North Carolina's Blue Ridge Parkway. Per a National Park Service release , authorities received a call Saturday just after noon local time about a female who'd plunged from the Glassmine Falls Overlook, which allows viewers to...
on North Carolina
Sep 23, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ophelia Lands on North Carolina
Tropical storm made landfall Saturday, with high winds, flooding expected there, Virginia, Maryland
- Tropical Storm Ophelia made landfall on the North Carolina coast early Saturday, and it's expected to bring damaging winds and dangerous surges of water, the US National Hurricane Center said, per the AP . The storm touched down near Emerald Isle at around 6:20am ET, with maximum sustained winds...
He Drove Off Collapsed Bridge.
His Family Is Suing Google
Sep 21, 2023 4:08 AM CDT
He Drove Off Collapsed Bridge. His Family Is Suing Google
Lawsuit says company failed to update Google Maps after it was informed of collapse years earlier
- The family of a North Carolina man who died after driving his car off a collapsed bridge while following Google Maps directions is suing the technology giant for negligence, claiming it had been informed of the collapse but failed to update its navigation system. Philip Paxson, a medical device salesman...
2 Swimmers Die
Within 24 Hours
Off NC's Outer Banks
Sep 6, 2023 6:23 PM CDT
2 Swimmers Die Within 24 Hours Off NC's Outer Banks
Official say conditions are extremely dangerous for all but the strongest swimmers
- After the deaths of two tourists in the space of 24 hours, authorities are urging visitors to North Carolina's Outer Banks to avoid swimming at ocean-side beaches. Authorities say a 28-year-old woman from Washington, DC, died Monday after she was "overtaken by strong waves" at Cape Hatteras National...
NFL Player's Dad Killed
When Home Explodes
Aug 23, 2023 2:50 AM CDT
NFL Player's Dad Killed When Home Explodes
Caleb Farley of the Tennessee Titans was not in his North Carolina house at the time
- The father of Tennessee Titans cornerback Caleb Farley died in an explosion that destroyed the NFL player's North Carolina home and left another person injured, authorities said Tuesday. The football player himself was not home at the time of the blast. His father, Robert M. Farley, 61, was found...
Legislature Begins Overriding
'Political Culture Wars' Vetoes
Aug 16, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Legislature Begins Overriding 'Political Culture Wars' Vetoes
During transgender care debate, lawmaker whose grandchild could be affected asks GOP to 'just stop it'
- Both houses of North Carolina's legislature voted Wednesday to override Gov. Roy Cooper's veto of a bill restricting LGBTQ+ instruction. The new law takes effect immediately, the AP reports. The Senate vote was 27-18 for the override, with the House voting 72-47 minutes later. Also Wednesday, the Republican-controlled...
Coast Guard: We
Found 4 Missing Divers
Aug 14, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Coast Guard: We Found 4 Missing Divers
Men rescued Sunday off coast of North Carolina in the 'graveyard of the Atlantic'
- The Coast Guard has an update on four divers who went missing over the weekend off the coast of North Carolina, and it's a good one: The men have been found alive, reports CNN . An early Monday post from USCG Mid-Atlantic on X, formerly known as Twitter, noted that...
Workers Who Called Prayer
Meetings 'Cultlike' to Get $50K
Aug 7, 2023 8:48 AM CDT
Workers Who Called Prayer Meetings 'Cultlike' to Get $50K
2 ex-employees settle in religious discrimination suit against North Carolina home-repair company
- A North Carolina home-repair business fired two employees after they refused to continue participating in the company's mandatory prayer sessions—and now, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission says the firm will pay out $50,000 over the incident. Per a Wednesday EEOC release , the settlement with Aurora Pro Services...
Family of Man Who Allegedly
Hit Migrants: It Was an Accident
Aug 1, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Family of Man Who Allegedly Hit Migrants: It Was an Accident
North Carolina man suspected of driving into group has turned himself in
- The North Carolina man accused of plowing into a group of migrant workers with his SUV turned himself into police Monday, the day after the incident in front of a Walmart left six men injured. Police originally said the crash was believed to have been intentional, but family members told...
3 Marines Found Dead
in Car at Gas Station
Jul 27, 2023 12:55 AM CDT
3 Marines Found Dead in Car at Gas Station
Carbon monoxide to blame in North Carolina tragedy
- The three Marines found dead in a car at a North Carolina gas station died of carbon monoxide poisoning, the medical examiner's office has determined. The statement does not provide further details, but a sheriff's sergeant tells the AP the deaths appear to be accidental and that investigators...
Tornado Hit on Pfizer Plant
Could Cause Drug Shortages
Jul 20, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Tornado Hit on Pfizer Plant Could Cause Drug Shortages
North Carolina facility made 25% of sterile injectable medication used in US hospitals
- A tornado that did serious damage to a Pfizer plant in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, on Wednesday has probably worsened America's nationwide drug shortage, Bloomberg reports. The tornado ripped off the pharmaceutical plant's roof, and the county sheriff said 50,000 pallets of medicine were damaged. According to...
of the Year'
Shot a Horse
Jul 11, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
Cops: 'Horseman of the Year' Shot a Horse
North Carolina man is charged after fatal shooting
- Last month, 75-year-old John Russell of North Carolina was honored as "horseman of the year" for his dedication to the animals. This month, Russell faces felony charges after police say he fatally shot a horse, reports WYFF . It appears that Russell wasn't aiming at the horse, but that...
Man Records Frightening
Video of This Park Ride
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 8, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Man Records Frightening Video of This Park Ride
Clip shows now-shuttered roller coaster at North Carolina's Carowinds with crack in support beam
- A popular roller coaster at a North Carolina amusement park has been shut down indefinitely after a patron in the parking lot spotted something terrifying. Carowinds, located in Charlotte, said in a Sunday statement that its Fury 325 ride— billed on its site as the "tallest, fastest, longest giga...
SCOTUS Delivers Big
Voting Setback to GOP
Jun 27, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
SCOTUS Delivers Big Voting Setback to GOP
6-3 ruling says states don't have absolute power to set federal election rules
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday put a major check on state powers when it comes to setting federal election rules. In its 6-3 ruling, one of the most closely watched of this term, the justices rejected the controversial "independent state legislature" doctrine , reports Politico . The doctrine, advanced by conservatives,...
of NSFW Acts
Jun 20, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Wild Lawsuit Accuses NC House Speaker of NSFW Acts
Tim Moore denies 'baseless' accusations
- A lawsuit filed against the North Carolina speaker of the House has some pretty wild allegations. Tim Moore is accused of engaging in an affair with a former Apex City councilman's wife as well as engaging in group sex with people wanting to curry political favor with him, WSOC-TV...
SCOTUS on NC's Confederate
License Plate Case: Nope
Jun 12, 2023 11:44 AM CDT
SCOTUS on NC's Confederate License Plate Case: Nope
Court previously ruled that Texas was within its rights to stop issuing the plates
- The Supreme Court said Monday it won't review North Carolina's decision to stop issuing specialty license plates with the Confederate flag . As is typical, the court didn't comment in declining to hear the case, which challenged the state's decision. The dispute was one of many the...
These States Are Pulling
Their Weight for US Economy
Jun 5, 2023 2:49 PM CDT
These States Are Pulling Their Weight for US Economy
Washington state has the best economy, West Virginia the worst, per WalletHub ranking
- When it comes to the US economy, a variety of factors underlie its health (or lack thereof), with the economies of individual states playing a significant part. WalletHub wanted to see which ones are really pulling their weight when it comes to contributing to the national coffers, so it looked...
Video of North Carolina
Bus Shootout Released
May 29, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Video of North Carolina Bus Shootout Released
Driver, passenger were injured
- A bus driver was fired and a passenger was arrested after a shootout on a moving bus in North Carolina. The Charlotte Area Transit System has released video of the May 18 incident, which injured both the driver and the passenger, WRAL reports. The transit system says driver, David Fullard...
She Was Abducted 6 Years Ago.
A Netflix Watcher Found Her
in case you missed it
May 20, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
She Was Abducted 6 Years Ago. A Netflix Watcher Found Her
Illinois' Kayla Unbehaun, 15, turns up in North Carolina; mom is arrested
- In November, the Netflix series
featured an episode on family abductions, including the case of Kayla Unbehaun, who vanished from South Elgin, Illinois, at the age of 9 after a visit with her mom, who didn't have custody of her. Nearly six years later, Kayla, now 15,...
'Not a Single Republican' Kept
Promise on Abortion: Governor
May 20, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
'Not a Single Republican' Kept Promise on Abortion: Governor
Cooper suggests North Carolina GOP could pay at the ballot box
- After legislative Republicans overrode his veto of North Carolina's new abortion restrictions, Gov. Roy Cooper responded with fresh criticism of them on Saturday. "It's amazing how they've ignored the will of the people here," Cooper said on MSNBC, per Politico . When he vetoed the legislation...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.