Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Meteorologist, Pilot Killed
in News Helicopter Crash
Nov 22, 2022 6:03 PM CST
Meteorologist, Pilot Killed in News Helicopter Crash
Pilot did his best to make sure nobody else was hurt in North Carolina crash, police say
- Charlotte, North Carolina news station WTVB is mourning a meteorologist and a pilot killed in a helicopter crash. The Federal Aviation Administration says the two men died when the Robinson R44 helicopter crashed near Interstate 77, NBC reports. No one else was on board. "The WBTV family is grieving...
Sheriff Who Quit Amid Scandal
Weeks Ago Is Reelected
Nov 10, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Sheriff Who Quit Amid Scandal Weeks Ago Is Reelected
North Carolina's Jody Greene was recorded disparaging Black deputies
- One of the most controversial election results of the week is out of North Carolina's Columbus County, where former Sheriff Jody Greene was elected once again. The reason for the controversy? Greene, who is white, resigned as sheriff only two weeks ago after he was heard disparaging Black deputies...
Alligator Study Finds
'Harbingers of Dangers
to Human Health'
Oct 23, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Alligator Study Finds 'Harbingers of Dangers to Human Health'
High levels of 'forever chemicals' found in Cape Fear River gators
- Alligators in the Cape Fear River have "extremely high levels of PFAS compounds and markers of immune disease in their blood," according to a new study by researchers in North Carolina, per the
The so-called “forever chemicals” appear to have had noticeable health impacts on the...
Parents of Accused NC
Mass Shooter Break Silence
Oct 19, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Parents of Accused NC Mass Shooter Break Silence
They say they are 'overcome with grief' at what their son allegedly did
- The parents of a 15-year-old boy accused of killing five people in a North Carolina shooting rampage released a statement Tuesday saying they are “overcome with grief” and saw no warning signs before the killings, the AP reports. Alan and Elise Thompson issued the statement through a lawyer that...
Cops: Alleged Raleigh
Mass Shooter, 15,
Killed His Brother
Oct 17, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Cops: Alleged Raleigh Mass Shooter, 15, Killed His Brother
More details are coming out on the victims of last week's tragedy
- The 16-year-old victim killed in Thursday's Raleigh, North Carolina, mass shooting was the older brother of the suspected gunman, police say. The 15-year-old alleged shooter has been identified as Austin Thompson, the
Raleigh News & Observer
reports; his family lives in the Hedingham neighborhood where five people were slaughtered...
Suspect in North Carolina
Mass Shooting a Juvenile Male
Oct 14, 2022 12:55 AM CDT
Suspect in North Carolina Mass Shooting a Juvenile Male
5 people were killed, including a police officer
- Five people were killed by a shooter who opened fire along a walking trail in North Carolina’s capital city on Thursday and eluded officers for hours before he was cornered in a home and arrested, police said. An off-duty police officer was among those killed by the suspect, who...
Family: GPS Led Man to Fatal
'Bridge to Nowhere'
Oct 9, 2022 6:10 AM CDT
Family: GPS Led Man to Fatal 'Bridge to Nowhere'
Philip Paxson of North Carolina drove off abandoned span on private road
- The family of a North Carolina father of two say he died after following his GPS at night onto a bridge that partially washed away almost a decade ago. The body of Philip Paxson, 47, was found in his overturned vehicle in a creek on Oct. 1, the morning after...
17-Year-Old Is Suspect
in Killing of 2 NC Teens
Sep 21, 2022 3:24 PM CDT
17-Year-Old Is Suspect in Killing of 2 NC Teens
'We are not resting until he is in our custody in Orange County,' sheriff says
- A 17-year-old male suspect is being sought in connection with the fatal shooting of two teenagers, police in North Carolina say. The bodies of Lyric Woods, 14, and Devin Clark, 18, were found by ATV drivers Sunday. They had been reported missing by their families, who said they hadn't...
Missing Teens Found Dead
in North Carolina
Sep 20, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
Missing Teens Found Dead in North Carolina
Police say Devin Clark, Lyric Woods were shot to death
- Police in North Carolina say that while they're still awaiting confirmation from the medical examiner, they're confident that two people found shot to death Sunday are missing teenagers Lyric Woods and Devin Clark. The bodies were found near a trail in western Orange County by two men riding...
School Baptizes More Than
100 Kids Without Permission
Sep 7, 2022 2:57 PM CDT
School Baptizes More Than 100 Kids Without Permission
NC school says the 'Spirit of the Lord moved'
- A Christian school in North Carolina has apologized after it baptized more than 100 middle and high school students without their parents' knowledge. Renee McLamb, head of Northwood Temple Academy in Fayetteville, told parents that only three students were supposed to be baptized in a ceremony Thursday, but "the...
Co-Pilot in Midair Mystery
'Apologized, Then Departed'
Aug 16, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Co-Pilot in Midair Mystery 'Apologized, Then Departed'
NTSB report says Charles Crooks was upset about incident that damaged landing gear
- The co-pilot who apparently jumped to his death from a plane in North Carolina on July 29 was extremely upset about an incident that damaged the plane's landing gear, according to the National Transportation Safety Board's preliminary report. The NTSB says the pilot of the CASA 212 turboprop...
District Puts AR-15s in Schools
Aug 6, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
District Puts AR-15s in Schools
North Carolina sheriff cites Uvalde shooting delays for new policy
- A North Carolina sheriff said he's taking a lesson from the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas. "Those officers were in that building for so long , and that suspect was able to infiltrate that building and injure and kill so many kids," Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwood said....
FAA Workers' 911 Call Sheds
Light on 'Midair Mystery'
Aug 3, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
FAA Workers' 911 Call Sheds Light on 'Midair Mystery'
Employees tell dispatcher that pilot said co-pilot Charles Hew Crooks jumped out of plane
- More details are filtering in on what's been deemed a "midair mystery" involving a co-pilot who exited his turboprop plane midflight and fell to his death. The timeline has since been pieced together regarding what happened to Charles Hew Crooks in the skies over North Carolina on Friday...
Set Fire to Wrong House: Cops
Jul 28, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Revenge-Seeking Arsonist Set Fire to Wrong House: Cops
Christie Louise Jones thought she was at an ex-boyfriend's, police say
- A woman who intended to burn down her ex-lover's home failed to confirm the address and ended up setting fire to a stranger's abode, according to police in North Carolina. The result is that the alleged arsonist can't even claim the sweet taste of revenge as she...
Jul 26, 2022 1:12 AM CDT
Hope Solo Pleads Guilty
Gets 30 days, fine in DWI case
Hope Solo on Monday pleaded guilty to driving while impaired and was sentenced to 30 days, with 30 days' credit given for the time she spent in an inpatient rehab facility . She was also hit with $3,100 in fees and fines and ordered to complete all recommended substance...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
Missing Man's Boat Washes
Ashore—on Another Continent
in case you missed it
Jul 3, 2022 7:02 AM CDT
Missing Man's Boat Washes Ashore—on Another Continent
It was found 2.7K miles away from where Joseph Matthew Johnson was last seen
- The boat of a North Carolina man missing since November has washed ashore thousands of miles away in the Azores Islands off Portugal—and while there was no sign of Joseph Matthew Johnson, relatives still believe the 44-year-old will be found alive. Johnson was last seen leaving the Federal Point...
$10M Lottery Winner
Gets Life Without Parole
May 30, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
$10M Lottery Winner Gets Life Without Parole
Michael Todd Hill guilty of murdering Keonna Graham
: A North Carolina man who won a $10 million jackpot five years ago will never spend money as a free man again. Michael Todd Hill, 54, was convicted of first-degree murder Friday and sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole, the
News & Observer
Madison Cawthorn Issues
Defiant Message After Loss
May 20, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
It's time for 'Dark MAGA' to rise, says outgoing North Carolina congressman
- The youngest member of Congress—and one of the most controversial —will not be returning after losing his North Carolina primary this week. But in a social media post Thursday, 26-year-old Madison Cawthorn sounded very much like a man who isn't done with politics.
Loses Re-Election Bid
May 17, 2022 11:49 PM CDT
Madison Cawthorn Loses Re-Election Bid
Congressman concedes to state Sen. Chuck Edwards
- Scandal-plagued congressman Madison Cawthorn won't be returning to the House of Representatives for a second term. The 26-year-old on Tuesday night conceded his race for re-election in North Carolina to Chuck Edwards, a state senator supported by many of the state's establishment Republicans, NBC News reports. The...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.