Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
by Barr, Sessions
Jun 16, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Garland Tosses Asylum Opinions by Barr, Sessions
Immigration judge should drop the old rules, attorney general says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland moved Wednesday to undo a pair of immigration decisions by Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr. The opinions by Garland's predecessors put limits on who could qualify for asylum by claiming to be a persecuted member of a "particular social group," the Hill reports,...
Apple Had to Hand Over Data
on Sitting White House Counsel
Jun 13, 2021 5:53 PM CDT
Apple Had to Hand Over Data on Sitting White House Counsel
In 2018, Justice Department issued subpoena for data of Donald McGahn
- Apple recently revealed that then-President Trump’s Department of Justice had come to them with subpoenas for data on congressional Democrats. Now the company has revealed that it turned over data for Trump’s own White House counsel, too. The company told Donald McGahn and his wife that it...
Jun 11, 2021 2:21 PM CDT
Apple Reveals Unusual Move by Trump's White House
Justice Department subpoenaed data from at least 2 prominent Democrats
- "Leakers are traitors and cowards, and we will find out who they are!" So declared then-President Trump in 2018, notes Matt Stieb at
. Now, a scoop by the
New York Times
reveals the unusual lengths to which the Trump White House went to make good on...
Watchdog: Sessions Said 'We
Need to Take Away Children'
Oct 7, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Watchdog: Sessions Said 'We Need to Take Away Children'
Former AG pushed Trump's agenda of separating children from their families
- When US attorneys objected to orders to prosecute all undocumented immigrants in May 2018, then-attorney general Jeff Sessions made clear President Trump's intentions. "We need to take away children," he told the prosecutors, per the
New York Times
. A week later, then-deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein complained...
Jeff Sessions Is Out,
and Other Primary Results
Jul 15, 2020 1:03 AM CDT
Jeff Sessions Is Out, and Other Primary Results
Tommy Tuberville, endorsed by Trump, beats former AG in Alabama
- Former US Attorney General Jeff Sessions lost the Republican nomination for his old Senate seat in Alabama to former college football coach Tommy Tuberville on Tuesday, likely ending a long political career with a bitter defeat egged on by President Trump. Tuberville, 65, beat Sessions in Tuesday’s Republican runoff...
Runoff Could Be
Jul 14, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Alabama Senate Runoff Could Be Anyone's Game
Tommy Tuberville, backed by Trump, takes on ex-AG Jeff Sessions to see who'll face Doug Jones
- The Alabama runoff election for US Senate was supposed to have been at the end of March, but the pandemic pushed it off for more than three months. Now, Tuesday is the big day for former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, 73, and ex-Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville, 65, facing off...
Blocks Trump on
Jun 15, 2020 6:55 PM CDT
High Court Blocks Trump on Sanctuary Law
Justices won't take case, leaving California policy in place
- The Supreme Court has voted not to take up President Trump's attempt to void California's sanctuary law, a decisive victory for the state in its struggle with the administration over immigration law enforcement. With exceptions involving warrents or suspects in serious crimes, California law enforcement officials don't...
Jeff Sessions Pushes Back
at New Fiery Trump Tweet
May 23, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Jeff Sessions Pushes Back at New Fiery Trump Tweet
'Your personal feelings don't dictate who Alabama picks as their senator, the people of Alabama do'
- They're at it again. The longtime battle between President Trump and his former attorney general, Jeff Sessions, continues this week as the latter keeps up his run for a US Senate seat out of Alabama, while the former carries on his attack. Trump has already thrown his support behind...
Trump to Sessions:
Leave My Name
Out of This
Apr 2, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
Trump to Sessions: Leave My Name Out of This
They aren't allies, president's aide writes to candidate
- Jeff Sessions, who's trying to be elected in Alabama without President Trump's support, has been reminded of the depth of his former boss's non-endorsement. He received a stinging demand letter from the Trump campaign, Reuters reports, saying Sessions seems to be trying to make voters think that...
Trump Has One
More Insult for
Mar 11, 2020 5:33 AM CDT
Trump Has One More Insult for Jeff Sessions
President endorses Tommy Tuberville, Sessions' Alabama opponent for US Senate seat
- President Trump has said one of his biggest mistakes was appointing Jeff Sessions as his attorney general, but the latter seemed determined to get back into the commander in chief's good graces, recently declaring himself Trump's "strongest advocate" as he gets ready to make a new run...
Head to Runoff
in Alabama Race
Mar 3, 2020 11:04 PM CST
Sessions, Tuberville Head to Runoff in Alabama Race
Roy Moore was a distant 4th in GOP primary
- Former US Attorney General Jeff Sessions will face ex-college football coach Tommy Tuberville in a Republican runoff March 31 as the former Alabama senator seeks to regain the longtime seat he held. Sessions and Tuberville won the most votes in the primary Tuesday to advance from a crowded primary field...
Jeff Sessions Confirms
Senate Run, Praises Trump
Nov 8, 2019 1:23 AM CST
Jeff Sessions Confirms Senate Run, Praises Trump
He says he's still president's 'strongest advocate'
- Jeff Sessions confirmed Thursday that he is running to reclaim the Senate seat he held for 20 years—and while President Trump has called naming Sessions as attorney general the "biggest mistake" of his presidency, Sessions wants to let bygones be bygones. The Alabama Republican described himself as Trump'...
Report: Trump Warned Sessions
Against Senate Comeback Bid
Nov 7, 2019 1:21 AM CST
Report: Trump Warned Sessions Against Senate Comeback Bid
But Alabaman still plans to announce run
- Jeff Sessions is going to take a shot at resuming the Senate career he abandoned for an ill-fated stint in the Trump administration, insiders say. Sources tell the
New York Times
and NPR that the Republican, who served in the Senate for 20 years before becoming President Trump's attorney...
Report: Jeff Sessions
Wants His Senate Seat Back
Oct 29, 2019 5:06 AM CDT
Report: Jeff Sessions Wants His Senate Seat Back
Sources say he's exploring 2020 run
- Jeff Sessions is seriously considering a run for the Senate seat he held for 20 years before briefly becoming President Trump's attorney general, sources tell the
and Politico . The sources say the 72-year-old Republican has been plotting a 2020 campaign strategy for the Alabama seat currently held...
House Panel OKs Subpoenas
for Big Names in Trump Probe
Jul 11, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
House Panel OKs Subpoenas for Big Names in Trump Probe
Including Jared Kushner, Jeff Sessions
- The House Judiciary Committee voted Thursday to authorize subpoenas for 12 people mentioned in special counsel Robert Mueller's report, including President Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the AP reports. The panel also voted to authorize subpoenas for documents and testimony related to Trump'...
Big Last-Minute Move
Nov 9, 2018 10:14 AM CST
Sessions Makes Big Last-Minute Move
Guidelines appear to curtail Justice Department's oversight of police departments
- A memo dated Nov. 7 out of the Office of the Attorney General appears to be Jeff Sessions' last hurrah, but civil rights advocates aren't applauding. The
New York Times
reports that, before he left his post at President Trump's request, Sessions signed off on strict new guidelines...
Sessions' Next Job:
Maybe His Old One?
Nov 8, 2018 2:11 PM CST
Sessions' Next Job: Maybe His Old One?
Newly fired attorney general might run for former Senate seat in Alabama
- Jeff Sessions may be out of a job as attorney general , but this week's resignation means that he could run again for his former Senate seat in Alabama. Politico quotes two sources saying that Sessions is considering a run against incumbent Democrat Doug Jones in 2020, and CNN's...
Our Next AG:
Nov 8, 2018 11:10 AM CST
Our Next AG: Chris Christie?
He's being considered, sources say
- With Jeff Sessions out as attorney general, the talk has commenced on who President Trump will nominate to replace him. Two sources tell CBS News Chris Christie is being considered, but a decision isn't expected soon. Others who are reportedly being considered: Rudy Giuliani, outgoing Florida Attorney General Pam...
With Sessions Out,
Dems Fear for Future
of Mueller Probe
Nov 8, 2018 6:48 AM CST
With Sessions Out, Dems Fear for Future of Mueller Probe
New acting AG Matthew Whitaker has been a leading critic of the investigation
- President Trump's forcing out of Jeff Sessions has cast doubt on the future of Robert Mueller's investigation—especially since Sessions' replacement, Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker, has long been a critic of the probe. Whitaker, who served as Sessions' chief of staff, has repeatedly accused the Mueller investigation...
Submits His Resignation
Nov 7, 2018 3:54 PM CST
Jeff Sessions Submits His Resignation
He's out as attorney general at White House's request
- Jeff Sessions is out as attorney general, report CNN and the AP . White House chief of staff John Kelly reportedly asked him to resign Wednesday, and Sessions' resignation letter was subsequently delivered to the White House. The speed of the move, coming so soon after polls closed, "suggested how...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.