Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Sessions Allies: We
Hope It'll Be a Kind Cut
Oct 28, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Sessions Allies: We Hope It'll Be a Kind Cut
So they don't think the attorney general will last
- Sensing that Jeff Sessions' days at the Justice Department may be numbered, some of his supporters want the White House to allow for a graceful exit for an attorney general they believe has dutifully carried out the administration's agenda even while enduring the president's fury, the AP reports....
Calif. Just OK'd
in the US
Oct 1, 2018 7:01 AM CDT
Calif. Just OK'd Strongest Net Neutrality Law in the US
Trump administration immediately sued
- California Gov. Jerry Brown approved the nation's strongest net neutrality law Sunday, prompting a lawsuit by the Trump administration and opening the next phase in the battle over internet regulation. Net neutrality advocates hope the law—which Brown signed to stop internet providers from favoring certain content or sites,...
Trump on Sessions:
'I Don't Have an
Sep 19, 2018 8:42 AM CDT
Trump on Sessions: 'I Don't Have an Attorney General'
That's not his only scathing quote
- President Trump has ripped into Attorney General Jeff Sessions plenty of times on Twitter; now he's doing it in the Oval Office. The Hill reports on its Tuesday sitdown with the president for Hill.TV, for an interview it describes as "one of his most ferocious broadsides to...
6 Big Lines
Sep 7, 2018 1:39 PM CDT
Obama Goes After Trump: 6 Big Lines
How hard it is to say that Nazis are bad, wonders the former president
- Barack Obama has largely refrained from criticizing his successor, but that changed Friday in a speech at the University of Illinois. Some of the big lines from the speech, which is expected to be a theme of Obama's on the campaign trail before the midterms, as cited in the...
Sep 7, 2018 1:07 PM CDT
Trump Wants Justice Department to Unmask Op-Ed Writer
President sees it as a matter of national security if author is a high-ranking official
- President Trump has demanded that the
New York Times
reveal the name of the person who penned a scathing anonymous op-ed against him this week, and a
report noted that "startled" White House aides are even scrutinizing the opinion piece's language patterns to see if they...
Trump Asserts Sessions Has
Put GOP in Midterm Jeopardy
Sep 3, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Trump Asserts Sessions Has Put GOP in Midterm Jeopardy
The president assailed the attorney general on Twitter again Monday
- President Trump escalated his attacks on Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday, suggesting the Department of Justice put Republicans in midterm jeopardy with recent indictments of two GOP congressmen. Per the AP , Trump tweeted that "Obama era investigations, of two very popular Republican Congressmen were brought to a well...
'First Domino' in Mueller Probe
Pleads for No Jail Time
Sep 1, 2018 7:45 AM CDT
'First Domino' in Mueller Probe Pleads for No Jail Time
George Papadopoulos also says Trump, Sessions seemed on board with his Putin idea
- Lawyers for George Papadopoulos describe their client as the "first domino" to fall in the Robert Mueller investigation, but they say their client doesn't deserve to go to jail next week when he's sentenced for lying to the FBI about his Russian contacts. The filing submitted by...
Trump: 'Come on Jeff,
You Can Do It'
Aug 24, 2018 8:51 AM CDT
Trump: 'Come on Jeff, You Can Do It'
President keeps up the public debate with Attorney General Sessions
- President Trump is not letting Jeff Sessions have the final word in a new public back-and-forth. The president tweeted twice on Friday about his attorney general, though his comments were far more tempered than those he made in a Thursday interview with Fox News . One sample from that interview: "...
Just Got Even Worse
Aug 23, 2018 1:34 PM CDT
Trump-Sessions Relations Just Got Even Worse
After new criticism, AG says he won't be 'improperly influenced by political considerations'
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions hasn't been on good terms with President Trump pretty much from the start of the administration. On Thursday, however, things to seem to have reached a new low between them, with the president taking fresh potshots, the attorney general responding, and two top Republicans suggesting...
High-Profile Diner Brings
Trouble for Texas Restaurant
Aug 13, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
High-Profile Diner Brings Trouble for Texas Restaurant
Owner of El Tiempo Cantina in Houston apologizes after posting photo of Jeff Sessions
- A longtime Tex-Mex restaurant in Houston has been caught up in the volatile politics of the day, with some calling for a boycott of El Tiempo Cantina. And it's all because Jeff Sessions came to dinner, explains CultureMap . After the attorney general ate there Friday, the owner posted a...
Judge Halts Deportation,
Warns Jeff Sessions
Aug 10, 2018 4:26 AM CDT
Judge Halts Deportation, Warns Jeff Sessions
He says AG could be held in contempt
- On learning that the mother and daughter at the center of a lawsuit before him were being deported, a federal judge called the move "outrageous" and ordered its reversal. US District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan warned Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Homeland Security officials that they could be held...
Trump Team Plays Up Use
of Word 'Should' in Tweet
Aug 1, 2018 1:32 PM CDT
Trump Team Plays Up Use of Word 'Should' in Tweet
Giuliani says Trump didn't tweet that Sessions 'must' stop Mueller probe
- President Trump has had plenty to say on Twitter about Attorney General Jeff Sessions; on Wednesday, he had something to say to him. "..This is a terrible situation and Attorney General Jeff Sessions should stop this Rigged Witch Hunt right now, before it continues to stain our country any...
Justice Department Creates
'Religious Liberty Task Force'
Jul 30, 2018 12:04 PM CDT
Justice Department Creates 'Religious Liberty Task Force'
Jeff Sessions announced the move Monday
- Last year, President Trump signed an executive order on religious freedom , and now the Department of Justice is creating a "religious liberty task force" to implement the guidance that was issued as a result of that order. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the task force Monday during the DoJ'...
Jeff Sessions Raises Eyebrows
With 'Lock Her Up' Line
Jul 24, 2018 12:07 PM CDT
Jeff Sessions Raises Eyebrows With 'Lock Her Up' Line
He laughs along as high school students begin the chant about Clinton
- The attorney general gave a speech to young conservatives Tuesday in which he mocked the way colleges are "coddling" students as part of a liberal movement. But attracting far more attention is that Jeff Sessions laughed along as the high school students in the audience began chanting, "Lock...
It Used to Be a Walmart. Now
It's Holding Immigrant Teens
Jun 15, 2018 3:36 PM CDT
It Used to Be a Walmart. Now It's Holding Immigrant Teens
Reporters tour Texas facility as immigration debate stays in spotlight
- Lawmakers from both parties have been criticizing the Justice Department's tough new policy that requires immigrant children to be separated from their parents at the border. On Friday, President Trump joined the critics, with a familiar caveat. "I hate it," he said. "I hate to see...
Announcement Could Affect
Thousands of Asylum Seekers
Jun 11, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Announcement Could Affect Thousands of Asylum Seekers
Jeff Sessions said Monday that domestic violence is not grounds for asylum
- Immigration judges generally cannot consider domestic and gang violence as grounds for asylum, US Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday in a ruling that could affect large numbers of Central Americans who have increasingly turned to the United States for protection. "Generally, claims by aliens pertaining to domestic...
Trump's Marijuana Comments
Put Him at Odds With Sessions
Jun 8, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Trump's Marijuana Comments Put Him at Odds With Sessions
President suggests he'll back legalization
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions wants to move the nation further away from the legalization of marijuana. His boss? Not so much, apparently. President Trump on Friday suggested he will back legislation currently in the works to end, or at least ease, the federal ban on marijuana, reports NPR . "I...
For 3rd Straight Month,
Border Arrests Exceed 50K
Jun 7, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
For 3rd Straight Month, Border Arrests Exceed 50K
It's highest level since Trump took office
- More than 50,000 people were arrested trying to cross the US border in May, the third consecutive month that figure has been reached. The high volume suggests that tough new rules put in place by the Trump administration—including the separation of migrant children from their parents—are not...
for 'So Many
Jun 5, 2018 8:47 AM CDT
Trump Blames Sessions' Recusal for 'So Many Lives Ruined'
President also demanded 'transparency' on DOJ report on probe into Clinton's email server
- The president's impatience with Robert Mueller's Russia probe once more reared its head on Twitter Tuesday, with Jeff Sessions getting special mention. "The Russian Witch Hunt Hoax continues, all because Jeff Sessions didn't tell me he was going to recuse himself," Trump tweeted , per the...
Trump Tweets About What
He 'Wished' He Had Done
May 30, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
Trump Tweets About What He 'Wished' He Had Done
His beef with Jeff Sessions is Twitter fodder once again
- President Trump on Wednesday took to Twitter to once again air his displeasure with Attorney General Jeff Sessions. In a trio of tweets, Trump mainly quoted from a
CBS This Morning
interview with House Oversight Chair Trey Gowdy, writing in part that Gowdy said, "If I were the President...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.