Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
'Today Begins a New Chapter'
in Puerto Rico's History
Jan 18, 2022 7:24 PM CST
'Today Begins a New Chapter' in Puerto Rico's History
Long bankruptcy battle finally resolved
- Puerto Rico’s nearly five-year bankruptcy battle was resolved Tuesday after a federal judge signed a plan that slashes the US territory’s public debt load as part of a restructuring and allows the government to start repaying creditors. The plan marks the largest municipal debt restructuring in US history...
Man Allegedly Chokes,
Kicks Flight Attendant,
Asks to Be Shot
Sep 24, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Man Allegedly Chokes, Kicks Flight Attendant, Asks to Be Shot
Khalil El Dahr was reportedly angered after an in-flight call didn't go through
- A passenger tried to rush the cockpit of a JetBlue flight on Wednesday before kicking and choking a flight attendant, according to an FBI affidavit . The man identified as Khalil El Dahr had become angry after trying unsuccessfully to make a phone call about an hour before the flight from...
May 3, 2021 1:37 AM CDT
Puerto Rican Boxer Allegedly Killed Pregnant Girlfriend
Félix Verdejo turns himself in
- Puerto Rican boxer Félix Verdejo turned himself in to federal agents to face federal charges Sunday night just hours after authorities identified the body of a dead woman as his 27-year-old pregnant lover, officials said. The US Attorney's Office said late Sunday that Verdejo was being charged with...
Puerto Rico Statehood
Is Back on the Table
Mar 3, 2021 2:30 AM CST
Puerto Rico Statehood Is Back on the Table
Democratic lawmakers introduce a new proposal
- Two Democratic lawmakers on Tuesday announced they will be introducing legislation to make Puerto Rico a state. Sen. Martin Heinrich of New Mexico and Rep. Darren Soto of Florida say the bill has around 50 co-sponsors, CBS News reports. It would set up a process for the US territory to...
Iconic Telescope Has Collapsed
Dec 1, 2020 9:02 AM CST
Iconic Telescope Has Collapsed
Officials: Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico has met its end after auxiliary cable broke in August
- The scientific community and stargazers at large had been trying to save an iconic radio telescope , but those efforts have now come to an end after Puerto Rico officials announced the telescope has collapsed. Per CBS News , the huge Arecibo Observatory fell to its ruin Tuesday, less than two weeks...
They Know the Risks.
They Want to Save
Nov 27, 2020 7:51 AM CST
They Know the Risks. They Want to Save Telescope Anyway
Petition, letter to Congress part of efforts to keep Arecibo landmark from being demolished
- News last week that an iconic radio telescope that has gazed upon the cosmos for nearly six decades would be decommissioned and demolished has hit the scientific community hard, and now it's fighting to keep the astronomy landmark alive. The telescope at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico sustained...
Can't Be Saved
Nov 20, 2020 1:00 AM CST
Famed Telescope Can't Be Saved
Cables are failing at astronomy landmark in Puerto Rico
- The iconic radio telescope at the Arecibo Observatory is being taken out of commission. Cables hold up a 900-ton equipment platform over the telescope's huge reflector dish, and those cables have begun to fail. One broke this month, after an auxiliary cable had slipped out of its socket in...
Puerto Rico Finds
Nov 11, 2020 3:04 PM CST
Puerto Rico Finds Thousands of Uncounted Votes
'Misplaced. Poorly organized. We have to admit that'
- In a development that will have no effect whatsoever on the presidential race, thousands of uncounted ballots from American citizens have been found a week after Election Day. The election commission in Puerto Rico says more than 100 briefcases holding uncounted votes have been found since Nov. 3, which could...
Nov 3, 2020 12:09 PM CST
51st State? Puerto Rico Again Votes on Status
It's Election Day in the US territory, too
- Voters across Puerto Rico on Tuesday are choosing new leaders they hope can help heal a US territory wracked by corruption, hurricanes, earthquakes, and the coronavirus pandemic, per the AP . Also on the ballot is the island's sixth referendum on whether to change its current territorial status. Voters will...
Report: FEMA Took Weeks to
Get Food, Water to Puerto Rico
Oct 1, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Report: FEMA Took Weeks to Get Food, Water to Puerto Rico
Provisions delivered to island included candy and cookies
- A US government report published Thursday found that the Federal Emergency Management Agency mismanaged the distribution of goods in Puerto Rico after hurricanes Irma and Maria, leading to delays in the delivery of food and water. The Office of the Inspector General said that it took more than two months...
$13B Aid to
Is for Votes
Sep 19, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Dems: Trump's $13B Aid to Puerto Rico Is for Votes
3 years after hurricanes, some say surprise relief package is 'too little and too late'
- In 2017, Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria ravaged Puerto Rico. It took nearly a year to restore power to the entire island, with a final death toll said to be around 3,000, though Trump has pushed back on that number. Now, three years after the storms, the president is...
Marco Is a Hurricane,
and It's Not Alone
Aug 23, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Marco Is a Hurricane, and It's Not Alone
Tropical Storm Laura is also headed for the US coast
- Marco became a hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico Sunday on a path toward the Louisiana coast. Tropical Storm Laura battered the Dominican Republic and Haiti and headed to the same part of the US coast, also as a potential hurricane, the AP reports. It would be the first time...
Wanted to Swap
'Dirty' Puerto Rico
Aug 19, 2020 5:45 PM CDT
Ex-Official: Trump Wanted to Swap 'Dirty' Puerto Rico for Greenland
Taylor says he doesn't believe the president was joking
- A former Department of Homeland Security official says he heard President Trump propose trading Puerto Rico for Greenland—and he doesn't believe the president was joking. In an interview with MSNBC 's Hallie Jackson Wednesday, Miles Taylor, former DHS chief of staff, was asked for the "most...
Puerto Rico's Botched Primary
Ends With Governor Losing
Aug 17, 2020 2:24 AM CDT
Puerto Rico's Botched Primary Ends With Governor Losing
Second round of voting goes more smoothly
- Puerto Rican Gov. Wanda Vázquez on Sunday acknowledged losing the primary of her pro-statehood party to Pedro Pierluisi, who briefly served as the US territory's governor last year amid political turmoil. With more than 78% of electoral colleges reporting late Sunday, Pierluisi received more than 57% of the...
Puerto Ricans Try
Again to Vote
Aug 16, 2020 12:40 PM CDT
Puerto Ricans Try Again to Vote
Some polling places for primary never opened a week ago
- Thousands of Puerto Ricans on Sunday got a second chance to vote for the first time, a week after delayed and missing ballots marred the original primaries in a blow to the US territory's democracy. More than 60 of the island's 110 precincts opened following a US Supreme...
While Trying to Vote,
Puerto Rico Gets
Utterly Shafted Again
Aug 10, 2020 5:23 AM CDT
While Trying to Vote, Puerto Rico Gets Utterly Shafted Again
Primary was a total mess; voting halted at some centers, and will need to be rescheduled
- Puerto Ricans demanded answers Monday after botched primaries forced officials to reschedule voting at centers lacking ballots, an unprecedented decision being called a blow to the US territory's democracy. The island’s elections commission remained silent as anger and embarrassment spread across Puerto Rico one day after hundreds of...
Shakes Puerto Rico
Jul 3, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Another Quake Shakes Puerto Rico
Aftershock renews fear, town's mayor says
- A 4.9-magnitude earthquake struck just southwest of Puerto Rico on Friday. There were no reported casualties. The quake was felt across the US territory and is the latest in a series of tremors that began in late December and have damaged or destroyed hundreds of homes, the AP reports....
Vandalized in Boston
May 25, 2020 10:36 AM CDT
Veterans Memorial Vandalized in Boston
'It’s a terrible insult to the Puerto Rican community'
- Police in Boston have promised to find the culprits behind the "cowardly" vandalism of the first monument in the mainland US to Puerto Rican veterans. Police say one stone pillar at the entrance to the Puerto Rican Veterans Memorial was knocked to the ground and the other was dislodged,...
First a Quake,
Then the Virus,
May 2, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
First a Quake, Then the Virus, Now Another Quake
5.5 magnitude temblor hits Puerto Rico, four months after another destroyed hundreds of home
- A 5.5 magnitude earthquake hit near southern Puerto Rico on Saturday, jolting many from their beds on an island where some people still remain in shelters from previous quakes earlier this year. There were no immediate reports of casualties. The US Geological Survey says the quake hit just off...
Disney Gives the World
Good Coronavirus News
Mar 14, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Disney Gives the World Good Coronavirus News
But sadly the world has its youngest coronavirus case: a newborn
- Amid all the negative COVID-19 stories, a good one from Disney:
will be available for streaming three months earlier than expected, CNN reports. New Disney CEO Bob Chapek says the movie's "powerful themes of perseverance and the importance of family" are "incredibly relevant during this...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.