Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Miss Argentina Marries
Miss Puerto Rico
Nov 3, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Miss Argentina Marries Miss Puerto Rico
Beauty queens Mariana Varela, Fabiola Valentin dated secretly before tying the knot Friday
- Mariana Varela and Fabiola Valentin were rivals at the 2020 Miss Grand International competition, as representatives of Argentina and Puerto Rico, respectively. But the beauty queens remained close after finishing in the top 10. Very, very close . As the pair revealed Thursday, they've not only been secretly dating but...
Puerto Rico Will Be Rebuilt,
Biden Promises on Visit
Oct 3, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Puerto Rico Will Be Rebuilt, Biden Promises on Visit
FEMA chief acknowledges issues 'in the previous administration'
- President Biden promised to "rebuild it all" while visiting Puerto Rico on Monday, as tens of thousands of people remain without power two weeks after Hurricane Fiona struck and residents worry that Washington's dedication to their recovery could prove fleeting. "I'm committed to this island,"...
Biden Takes Another
Emergency Step for Puerto Rico
Sep 22, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Biden Takes Another Emergency Step for Puerto Rico
Major disaster declaration unlocks federal funding to be administered through FEMA
- Days after approving an emergency declaration as Hurricane Fiona whomped Puerto Rico , President Biden has now issued a major disaster declaration to help the island recover. Gov. Pedro Pierluisi thanked the president and the Federal Emergency Management Agency for the expedited declaration Wednesday, saying it ensures Puero Rico "will...
5 Years After Maria, Puerto Rico
Faces Another Power Crisis
Sep 19, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
5 Years After Maria, Puerto Rico Faces Another Power Crisis
It's not clear when electricity will be restored after Hurricane Fiona, though government says not long
- The damage to Puerto Rico after it was slammed over the weekend by Hurricane Fiona is said to be "catastrophic," with landslides, severe flooding, and power getting knocked out for all of the island's residents. The storm is set to continue to dump rain on the US...
Damage in Puerto Rico,
Hurricane Fiona Isn't Done
Sep 19, 2022 12:21 AM CDT
After 'Catastrophic' Damage in Puerto Rico, Hurricane Fiona Isn't Done
'This is not over,' meteorologist warns
- Hurricane Fiona bore down on the Dominican Republic on Monday after knocking out the power grid and unleashing floods and landslides in Puerto Rico, where the governor said the damage was “catastrophic." No deaths have been reported, but authorities in the US territory said it was too early...
All of Puerto Rico Loses Power
Sep 18, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
All of Puerto Rico Loses Power
Hurricane Fiona has made landfall
- The tropical storm became a hurricane Sunday, as winds and rain intensified and electricity was knocked out to all of Puerto Rico. Hurricane Fiona caused the power grid to fail, officials said, imposing a blackout on all 1.4 million customers. At the same time, the National Hurricane Center advised...
Puerto Rico Prepares
for Landslides, Flooding
Sep 17, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Puerto Rico Prepares for Landslides, Flooding
Forecasters expect tropical storm to become a hurricane
- Tropical Storm Fiona was expected to become a hurricane as it neared Puerto Rico on Saturday, threatening to dump up to 20 inches of rain as people braced for potential landslides, severe flooding, and power outages. The storm previously battered various eastern Caribbean islands, with one death reported in the...
Book: Trump Wanted to Trade
Puerto Rico for Greenland
Sep 15, 2022 2:42 PM CDT
Book: Trump Wanted to Trade Puerto Rico for Greenland
Idea to purchase Danish territory wasn't actually his, according to reporters
- In an interview for a new book, Donald Trump insisted the idea to buy Greenland from Denmark was all his. Looking at a map, the president wondered, "Why don't we have that?" Trump told husband-and-wife journalists Peter Baker of the
New York Times
and Susan Glasser of the...
Jul 21, 2022 1:21 PM CDT
Nephew Withdraws Claim Against Ricky Martin
Case in Puerto Rico is dismissed in victory for the entertainer
A disturbing court case against Ricky Martin has been dismissed, reports
. The singer's nephew, who had accused Martin of sexual abuse, requested that his case be dismissed, and a judge in Puerto Rico agreed to the request. As a result, a restraining order issued against Martin also...
11 Dead, 31 Rescued After
Helicopter Spots Capsized Boat
May 13, 2022 12:10 AM CDT
11 Dead, 31 Rescued After Helicopter Spots Capsized Boat
Boat loaded with suspected migrants overturned near Puerto Rico
- A boat loaded with suspected migrants capsized north of an uninhabited island near Puerto Rico and 11 people had been confirmed dead while 20 men and 11 women were rescued Thursday, authorities said. It wasn't immediately clear how many people were aboard the boat when it turned over, said...
Supreme Court Shuts
Puerto Ricans Out of Benefits
Apr 21, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Supreme Court Shuts Puerto Ricans Out of Benefits
Majority notes federal income tax doesn't apply to the territory, either
- The Supreme Court has upheld the differential treatment of residents of Puerto Rico, ruling that Congress was within its power to exclude them from a benefits program that's available in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The court held by an 8-1 vote Thursday that making Puerto...
Puerto Rico's 'Fragile' Grid
Sees Major Blackout After Fire
Apr 7, 2022 10:52 AM CDT
Puerto Rico's 'Fragile' Grid Sees Major Blackout After Fire
More than 1 million customers are without power across the island
- More than a million customers in Puerto Rico remained without electricity on Thursday after a fire at a main power plant caused the biggest blackout so far this year across the US territory, forcing it to cancel classes and shutter government offices. The blackout also left some 160,000 customers...
'Today Begins a New Chapter'
in Puerto Rico's History
Jan 18, 2022 7:24 PM CST
'Today Begins a New Chapter' in Puerto Rico's History
Long bankruptcy battle finally resolved
- Puerto Rico’s nearly five-year bankruptcy battle was resolved Tuesday after a federal judge signed a plan that slashes the US territory’s public debt load as part of a restructuring and allows the government to start repaying creditors. The plan marks the largest municipal debt restructuring in US history...
Man Allegedly Chokes,
Kicks Flight Attendant,
Asks to Be Shot
Sep 24, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Man Allegedly Chokes, Kicks Flight Attendant, Asks to Be Shot
Khalil El Dahr was reportedly angered after an in-flight call didn't go through
- A passenger tried to rush the cockpit of a JetBlue flight on Wednesday before kicking and choking a flight attendant, according to an FBI affidavit . The man identified as Khalil El Dahr had become angry after trying unsuccessfully to make a phone call about an hour before the flight from...
May 3, 2021 1:37 AM CDT
Puerto Rican Boxer Allegedly Killed Pregnant Girlfriend
Félix Verdejo turns himself in
- Puerto Rican boxer Félix Verdejo turned himself in to federal agents to face federal charges Sunday night just hours after authorities identified the body of a dead woman as his 27-year-old pregnant lover, officials said. The US Attorney's Office said late Sunday that Verdejo was being charged with...
Puerto Rico Statehood
Is Back on the Table
Mar 3, 2021 2:30 AM CST
Puerto Rico Statehood Is Back on the Table
Democratic lawmakers introduce a new proposal
- Two Democratic lawmakers on Tuesday announced they will be introducing legislation to make Puerto Rico a state. Sen. Martin Heinrich of New Mexico and Rep. Darren Soto of Florida say the bill has around 50 co-sponsors, CBS News reports. It would set up a process for the US territory to...
Iconic Telescope Has Collapsed
Dec 1, 2020 9:02 AM CST
Iconic Telescope Has Collapsed
Officials: Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico has met its end after auxiliary cable broke in August
- The scientific community and stargazers at large had been trying to save an iconic radio telescope , but those efforts have now come to an end after Puerto Rico officials announced the telescope has collapsed. Per CBS News , the huge Arecibo Observatory fell to its ruin Tuesday, less than two weeks...
They Know the Risks.
They Want to Save
Nov 27, 2020 7:51 AM CST
They Know the Risks. They Want to Save Telescope Anyway
Petition, letter to Congress part of efforts to keep Arecibo landmark from being demolished
- News last week that an iconic radio telescope that has gazed upon the cosmos for nearly six decades would be decommissioned and demolished has hit the scientific community hard, and now it's fighting to keep the astronomy landmark alive. The telescope at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico sustained...
Can't Be Saved
Nov 20, 2020 1:00 AM CST
Famed Telescope Can't Be Saved
Cables are failing at astronomy landmark in Puerto Rico
- The iconic radio telescope at the Arecibo Observatory is being taken out of commission. Cables hold up a 900-ton equipment platform over the telescope's huge reflector dish, and those cables have begun to fail. One broke this month, after an auxiliary cable had slipped out of its socket in...
Puerto Rico Finds
Nov 11, 2020 3:04 PM CST
Puerto Rico Finds Thousands of Uncounted Votes
'Misplaced. Poorly organized. We have to admit that'
- In a development that will have no effect whatsoever on the presidential race, thousands of uncounted ballots from American citizens have been found a week after Election Day. The election commission in Puerto Rico says more than 100 briefcases holding uncounted votes have been found since Nov. 3, which could...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.