Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
to Bottom of
in a Unique Way
Aug 4, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
Amazon Delivers to Bottom of Grand Canyon, in a Unique Way
Company can't use its vans to reach workers at Phantom Ranch, but mules do the trick
- You may be accustomed to seeing those ubiquitous dark-blue vans with the Amazon logo puttering around your town, especially around the holidays when package deliveries are at a peak. In the northwest corner of Arizona, however, a different mode of transport is employed: mules, saddled up with sealed boxes as...
Grand Canyon Tour Bus Crash
Kills One, Injures Dozens
Aug 2, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Tour Bus Crash Kills One, Injures Dozens
8 seriously injured, many others wounded when bus collides with car
- One person was killed in a tour bus rollover involving 57 people Tuesday in northern Arizona near the Grand Canyon West Skywalk, reports the AP . The bus rolled over just before 10am Tuesday at Grand Canyon West on the Hualapai Indian Reservation, according to the tribal police department. Eight people...
Phoenix Ends Its
Aug 1, 2023 5:51 AM CDT
Phoenix Ends Its Blistering Streak
Briefly, very briefly
- After a remarkable 31 days in a row with temperatures of at least 110 degrees, Phoenix is finally getting a break. Temperatures peaked at 108 degrees at the city's airport on Monday, ending the record-breaking heat streak . The previous record for consecutive days of 110 degrees or higher was...
Mom Fatally Strikes
Her Daughter, 6,
With Boat Propeller
Jul 31, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Mom Fatally Strikes Her Daughter, 6, With Boat Propeller
Mom was about to pull dad on wakeboard, didn't realize their daughter was in the water
- A day out on the lake turned unimaginably horrific in Arizona on Friday when a little girl's mother accidentally hit the child with a boat propeller, killing her. Police say two families, making up a group of 12 people total, went out around 7am on a boat on Lake...
Girl Who Vanished 4 Years Ago
Walks Into Police Station
in case you missed it
Jul 30, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Girl Who Vanished 4 Years Ago Walks Into Police Station
Alicia Navarro disappeared from her Arizona home, turned up in Montana
- Alicia Navarro disappeared from her home in Glendale, Arizona, in 2019, when she was 14. The now-18-year-old recently showed up at a Montana police station and said she is the teen who's been missing nearly four years and that she'd like to be removed from the missing juveniles...
Falling Down in Arizona
Can Cause Severe Burns
Jul 25, 2023 7:21 PM CDT
Falling Down in Arizona Can Cause Severe Burns
Doctors are seeing a spike in injuries during heat wave
- As Arizona continues to swelter under a record-breaking heat wave, doctors are seeing a surge in patients who have been burned just by coming into contact with the ground. Dr. Kevin Foster at the Arizona Burn Center at the Valleywise Health hospital in Phoenix tells CNN that the number of...
Dems Slam GOP Congressman
for Using 'Offensive' Term
Jul 14, 2023 10:18 AM CDT
Dems Slam GOP Congressman for Using 'Offensive' Term
Arizona Rep. Eli Crane earned House rebuke for calling Black Americans 'colored people' in debate
- A freshman Republican congressman received an official rebuke on Thursday for the way he referenced Black Americans during a floor debate. The incident happened Thursday as GOP Rep. Eli Crane of Arizona tried to promote an amendment he'd proposed to the National Defense Authorization Act, one in which the...
Weather Is Coming
Jul 11, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
More Dangerous Weather Is Coming
Flash floods could continue in northeast, while South, West brace for extreme heat
- A storm that brought deadly flooding to parts of New York state on Sunday devastated Vermont on Monday, washing out roads and forcing people from their homes. More than 50 people were rescued from flood waters after some locations saw more than six inches of rain, or more than the...
Arizona GOPer on Lake Suit:
She Must Be 'Held Accountable'
Jun 23, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
Arizona GOPer on Lake Suit: She Must Be 'Held Accountable'
Maricopa County recorder Stephen Richer says ex-governor candidate's lies hurt him, many others
- Like an Energizer Bunny custom-built for election denialism, Kari Lake continues to press on with her repeatedly debunked claim that Arizona's governor seat was stolen from her last November. Now she's being sued for her false remarks, by a fellow Arizona Republican who says he's had enough...
He Spent 28 Years Behind Bars
for Murder He Didn't Commit
Jun 19, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
He Spent 28 Years Behind Bars for Murder He Didn't Commit
Barry Lee Jones is now free in Arizona
- An Arizona man who spent 28 years behind bars insisting he was innocent has finally been freed after authorities agreed with him. Barry Lee Jones, 64, was released from prison Thursday after a judge threw out his 1994 murder conviction in the death of his then-girlfriend's 4-year-old daughter, the...
Man Fatally Plunges From
Grand Canyon's Skywalk
Jun 19, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Man Fatally Plunges From Grand Canyon's Skywalk
33-year-old's body was recovered
- A 33-year-old man fell to his death from the Grand Canyon's Skywalk earlier this month, authorities say. The unidentified man went over the edge at the Grand Canyon West Skywalk around 9am on June 5, AZCentral reports. The U-shaped glass bridge, which does have glass fences that are more...
Rare Attack by Black Bear
Kills Man in Arizona
Jun 18, 2023 10:31 AM CDT
Rare Attack by Black Bear Kills Man in Arizona
66-year-old Steven Jackson was having coffee at site where he was building a home
- When fatal bear attacks make the news, it's usually a grizzly that's involved. However, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office in Arizona says a black bear fatally mauled a 66-year-old man on Friday morning, reports NBC News . Even more unusual, it appears that the bear was unprovoked. “...
These States Are Pulling
Their Weight for US Economy
Jun 5, 2023 2:49 PM CDT
These States Are Pulling Their Weight for US Economy
Washington state has the best economy, West Virginia the worst, per WalletHub ranking
- When it comes to the US economy, a variety of factors underlie its health (or lack thereof), with the economies of individual states playing a significant part. WalletHub wanted to see which ones are really pulling their weight when it comes to contributing to the national coffers, so it looked...
Jun 2, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
Kari Lake's New Song Just Dropped
GOPer releases '81 Million Votes, My A--,' announces appeal of Arizona gubernatorial loss
- Kari Lake's protracted challenge to last year's gubernatorial race in Arizona, which the GOP candidate lost to Democrat Katie Hobbs, seemed to finally be over last month, after Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Peter Thompson dismissed her only remaining legal challenge on the matter. But the former news...
Phoenix, Short on Water,
Limits New Construction
Jun 1, 2023 7:30 PM CDT
Phoenix, Short on Water, Limits New Construction
Officials in Arizona are worried about long-range problems with groundwater
- Phoenix got a glimpse of its future on Thursday, and it does not appear to include the sort of multiplying development that has made it the nation's fastest-growing metropolitan region. Arizona officials announced that their analysis shows there is not enough groundwater to support all the housing construction proposed...
Suspect Arrested in Arizona
Shooting Spree That Killed 4
May 29, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Suspect Arrested in Arizona Shooting Spree That Killed 4
Police say man was motivated by hatred of drugs, homelessness
- Four people were killed and a fifth injured in separate shootings Friday and Saturday in Mesa and Phoenix, Arizona, and on Sunday police took a suspect into custody. Police say Iren Byers, 20, was motivated by a hatred of drugs and homelessness, AZFamily reports. He faces four counts of first-degree...
Kari Lake's Final
May 23, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Judge Dismisses Kari Lake's Final Election Claim
Long-running election challenge to Arizona's gubernatorial race is over
- A judge on Monday dismissed the only remaining legal claim in Republican Kari Lake's challenge of her loss in last year's race for Arizona governor, reports the AP , affirming the election of Democrat Katie Hobbs. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Peter A. Thompson said Lake failed to prove...
States Reach Historic Deal
to Save Colorado River
May 22, 2023 8:40 AM CDT
States Reach Historic Deal to Save Colorado River
California, Arizona, and Nevada will cut back on water to keep it from running dry
- States along the Colorado River have finally struck a deal to keep the vital waterway from running dry in the West, reports the
New York Times
. The shorthand version of the complicated arrangement is that California, Arizona, and Nevada will reduce by 13% the amount of water they pull from...
Kari Lake's Last
Legal Hail Mary
May 17, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Kari Lake's Last Legal Hail Mary Gets Underway
Arizona Supreme Court takes up signature verification on early ballots in Maricopa County
- Kari Lake lost the race for the Arizona governor's mansion to Democrat Katie Hobbs by more than 17,000 votes in November. Six months later, her final legal challenge to the results gets underway Wednesday in the form of a three-day trial. As the AP reports, courts have dismissed...
No, I Won't
May 8, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Kyrsten Sinema: No, I Won't Join GOP
Senator, newly independent, says she's done with 2-party system
- Kyrsten Sinema has no more interest in becoming a Republican than she had in remaining a Democrat, apparently. Asked on
Face the Nation
Sunday whether, now that the former Democrat is an independent , there's any chance she'll someday join the GOP, the senator said no, Politico reports. "...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.