Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Body Stuffed in Sack Left in
Desert ID'd 52 Years Later
Jan 26, 2023 1:59 PM CST
Body Stuffed in Sack Left in Desert ID'd 52 Years Later
Colleen Audrey Rice, found dead in Arizona in 1971, hailed from Ohio
- An unidentified woman whose body was found stuffed in a sack in the Arizona desert in 1971 is nameless no more. Fifty-two years to the day after her body was found, Mohave County's oldest unidentified murder victim was identified Tuesday as Colleen Audrey Rice, a native of Portsmouth, Ohio,...
Jan 23, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Democrats Now Face Tough Choice in Arizona
Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego will challenge newly independent Sen. Kyrsten Sinema
- About a month after Kyrsten Sinema surprised Washington by leaving the Democratic party to become an independent, a big consequence: Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego said Monday that he planned to run for her Senate seat in Arizona in 2024, reports the Hill . His move sets up a likely three-way race...
Report: Prison Forces Pregnant
Inmates Into Early Labor
Jan 5, 2023 9:15 AM CST
Report: Prison Forces Pregnant Inmates Into Early Labor
3 prisoners at Arizona's Perryville facility claim that forced inductions are prison policy
- Three female inmates have lobbed an eyebrow-raising accusation against the Arizona prison where they're incarcerated. The three women say that when they were pregnant at the Perryville facility outside of Phoenix, they had labor induced against their will, and medical records seen by the
confirm that all...
Recount Shows Democrat Beat
Trump-Backed Election Denier
Dec 29, 2022 7:15 PM CST
Recount Shows Democrat Beat Trump-Backed Election Denier
Kris Mayes wins Arizona attorney general's race by 280 votes
- A recount of votes has confirmed Democrat Kris Mayes narrowly defeated Republican Abraham Hamadeh in the Arizona attorney general’s race, one of the closest elections in state history. The highly anticipated results announced Thursday in Maricopa County Superior Court are among the last in the country to come out...
Chilly Outdoor Getaway
Proves Fatal for 3 Parents
Dec 29, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Chilly Outdoor Getaway Proves Fatal for 3 Parents
The 3 fell through the ice while on a frozen lake in Arizona
- Three families living in a Phoenix suburb drove north the day after Christmas to spend time outdoors; it proved fatal for three of the parents. CBS News reports that while in Forest Lakes, Arizona, three of the parents—a married couple and a dad—decided to venture onto the frozen...
Judge Makes a Decision
on Kari Lake Sanctions
Dec 28, 2022 6:37 AM CST
Judge Makes a Decision on Kari Lake Sanctions
He doesn't sanction her, but does order her to pay Katie Hobbs $33K
- An Arizona judge declined to sanction Kari Lake, but he did order her to pay Katie Hobbs $33,040.50 in compensation for expert witness fees. The judge also reaffirmed Hobbs' election as the next governor of the state; Hobbs had asked for Lake to be sanctioned over her filing...
After Kari Lake's Court Loss,
Opponent Wants Her to Pay Up
Dec 27, 2022 1:44 AM CST
After Kari Lake's Court Loss, Opponent Wants Her to Pay Up
Katie Hobbs is asking a court to sanction Lake $550K
- Katie Hobbs wants Kari Lake and her lawyers to pay for what Hobbs, the governor-elect of Arizona, calls a "frivolous" (and ultimately unsuccessful ) lawsuit challenging the results of November's gubernatorial election. Hobbs, along with Maricopa County, on Monday asked a judge to sanction Lake and her legal...
Judge Rejects Challenge
to Kari Lake's Election Loss
Dec 24, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Judge Rejects Challenge to Kari Lake's Election Loss
Ruling says Arizona court heard no clear evidence, only speculation
- An Arizona judge on Saturday threw out Republican Kari Lake's lawsuit challenging her loss in the state's election for governor. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Peter Thompson said in his ruling that the witnesses Lake presented had no firsthand knowledge of intentional misconduct by election officials, which Lake...
Arizona Will Take Down
Shipping Container Border Wall
Dec 23, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Arizona Will Take Down Shipping Container Border Wall
White House, Republican governor came to an agreement
- Arizona will take down a makeshift wall made of shipping containers at the Mexico border, settling a lawsuit and political tussle with the US government over trespassing on federal lands, the AP reports. The Biden administration and the Republican governor entered into an agreement that Arizona will cease installing the...
US Sues Arizona Over
Makeshift Border Wall
Dec 16, 2022 11:46 AM CST
US Sues Arizona Over Makeshift Border Wall
Justice Department demands removal of shipping containers, compensation for damages
- The federal government is suing the state of Arizona over the governor's decision to erect a border wall made of shipping containers. The Justice Department complaint accuses Republican Gov. Doug Ducey and state officials of trespassing on federal lands and asks a court to order the removal of the...
Kari Lake Sues
to Overturn Election Loss
Dec 10, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Kari Lake Sues to Overturn Election Loss
Trump ally makes good on promise to challenge Katie Hobbs' win as Arizona's next governor
- Kari Lake promised last month that her fight for the Arizona governorship wasn't over, and on Friday she made good on that promise. The Trump ally filed a civil complaint Friday in Maricopa County that, per ABC News , seeks "unprecedented and likely unlawful relief of fully overturning the...
Arizona Certifies 2022 Election
Dec 5, 2022 2:47 PM CST
Arizona Certifies 2022 Election
Lawsuits, recounts expected
- Arizona's top officials certified the midterm election results Monday, formalizing victories for Democrats over Republicans who falsely claimed the 2020 election was rigged. The certification opens a five-day window for formal election challenges. Republican Kari Lake, who lost the race for governor, is expected to file a lawsuit after...
Arizona County's Pushback
on Certifying Election Ends
Dec 2, 2022 11:46 AM CST
Arizona County's Pushback on Certifying Election Ends
GOP-controlled Cochise County ordered by judge to do so
- Cochise County has certified its 2022 elections. The move came after Judge Casey McGinley ruled Thursday that the rural Arizona county's Board of Supervisors had an hour and a half to call a meeting and approve the results by the end of the day, despite pushback from two GOP...
Ariz. Professor Dies
on Family Trip to Mexico
Nov 29, 2022 2:20 AM CST
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
Her husband remains missing
- A family kayaking trip turned unimaginably tragic last week, as confirmed Sunday when the body of an Arizona wife and mother was found. Her husband remains missing. Northern Arizona University professor Yeon-Su Kim had gone with her husband Corey Allen and their teenage daughter to Mexico for the Thanksgiving holiday...
Ducey Launches Transition,
Though Lake Hasn't Conceded
Nov 23, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Ducey Launches Transition, Though Lake Hasn't Conceded
'The people of Arizona have spoken,' GOP governor says
- Outgoing Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey said Wednesday his Republican administration will ensure an orderly transition to Democrat Katie Hobbs, his first public statement on her victory. Ducey met with Hobbs in his office more than a week after her victory became clear and days after the last ballots were counted,...
'Long Overdue' Name Change
Coming to Grand Canyon
Nov 22, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Long Overdue' Name Change Coming to Grand Canyon
Popular Indian Garden campground to become Havasupai Gardens in honor of tribe
- A popular camping spot at Grand Canyon National Park is shedding its "offensive" name. Indian Garden, a camping and rest area reached from the South Rim via the Bright Angel Trail, is to be renamed Havasupai Gardens in honor of the Native American tribe that was forcibly removed from...
Arizona Man Executed After
SCOTUS Rejects Appeal
Nov 16, 2022 1:53 PM CST
Arizona Man Executed After SCOTUS Rejects Appeal
'It’s all been said. Let it be done,' Murray Hooper told execution team
- An Arizona man convicted of murdering two people in 1980 was put to death Wednesday in the state’s third execution since officials started carrying out the death penalty in May after a nearly eight-year hiatus. Murray Hooper, 76, died by lethal injection at the state prison in Florence for...
Liz Cheney Gets
the Last Word
in Kari Lake Loss
Nov 15, 2022 6:44 AM CST
Liz Cheney Gets the Last Word in Kari Lake Loss
Or at least the latest word, with a 'you're welcome' tweet
- When Liz Cheney crossed parties and campaigned against Republican Kari Lake in the Arizona governor's race, Lake reveled in it. At the time, the Trump-backed candidate issued a public letter thanking Cheney for coming out against her. “In fact, my team telIs me your commercial should add another...
Katie Hobbs Defeats Kari Lake
in Arizona Governor Race
Nov 14, 2022 9:04 PM CST
Katie Hobbs Defeats Kari Lake in Arizona Governor Race
Republican Kari Lake is an election denier and Trump ally
- Democrat Katie Hobbs was elected Arizona governor on Monday, defeating an ally of former President Trump who falsely claimed the 2020 election was rigged and refused to say she would accept the results of her race this year, the AP reports. Hobbs, who is Arizona’s secretary of state, rose...
Kari Lake's Team Wrestles With
How to React If She Loses
Nov 14, 2022 7:35 PM CST
Kari Lake's Team Wrestles With How to React If She Loses
Advisers urge Trump ally not to claim the election was stolen
- With a Republican victory looking more unlikely in the Arizona governor's race, advisers are urging Kari Lake not to claim the election was stolen if she loses to Democrat Katie Hobbs. The GOP nominee's aides spent the weekend in a "war room" at a resort in Scottsdale,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.