Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Only 3 Non-Tech Brands
Make 'Most Valuable' Top 10
Sep 25, 2017 10:25 AM CDT
Only 3 Non-Tech Brands Make 'Most Valuable' Top 10
Apple is No. 1, followed by Google and Microsoft
- If you wanted to create a brand from scratch and make it a valued household name, the tech sector is probably a good place to start. Per
, Interbrand looked at some of the world's biggest brands, then ranked their value—and seven that made it into the...
Billionaire Samsung Heir
Sentenced to 5 Years In Prison
Aug 25, 2017 2:45 AM CDT
Billionaire Samsung Heir Sentenced to 5 Years In Prison
Lee Jae-yong guilty of bribing former president
- A South Korean court has sentenced the billionaire Samsung heir to five years in prison for bribery and other crimes that fed public anger leading to the ouster of Park Geun-hye as South Korea's president. The Seoul Central District Court said Friday that Lee Jae-yong , 49, was guilty of...
Most Loved and Hated
Telecom Companies in US
May 23, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
Most Loved and Hated Telecom Companies in US
- Believe it or not, Comcast is not the most hated telecommunications company in the country. The American Customer Satisfaction Index, out Tuesday, ranks America's most loved and hated companies offering pay-TV, phone, and internet service, and though Comcast finds itself among the least loved companies, it's not the...
'Trial of the
in S. Korea
Mar 9, 2017 9:54 AM CST
'Trial of the Century' Begins in S. Korea
It'll be fierce, if first hearing is any indication
- The "trial of the century" has begun in South Korea, where a vice chairman at Samsung Electronics faces bribery and embezzlement charges after allegedly giving $36 million to President Park Geun-hye and her close friend Choi Soon-sil in order to win government support for a 2015 merger. Lee Jae-Yong,...
After Shock Arrest of
Samsung Heir, the Indictment
Feb 28, 2017 9:49 AM CST
After Shock Arrest of Samsung Heir, the Indictment
Lee Jae-yong faces bribery, embezzlement charges
- Following a three-month investigation, South Korean special prosecutors indicted Samsung's de facto chief Tuesday on bribery, embezzlement, and other charges linked to a political scandal that has toppled President Park Geun-hye . The indictment of Lee Jae-yong, a vice chairman at Samsung Electronics and the only son of the ailing...
S. Korea Stunned by Arrest
of Samsung Leader
Feb 17, 2017 4:15 AM CST
S. Korea Stunned by Arrest of Samsung Leader
Lee accused of bribing government
- South Korea was taken by surprise Friday with the arrest of the scion of the country's richest family and de facto leader at Samsung over his alleged involvement in a massive corruption scandal that engulfed the president and riveted the nation. Prosecutors believe Lee Jae-yong, 48, a vice chairman...
Supplier Hit by ... Yes, Fire
Feb 9, 2017 11:01 AM CST
Samsung Battery Supplier Hit by ... Yes, Fire
Facility in China reportedly burned because of waste, which included batteries
- Samsung recently offered an explainer on why its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones have been exploding (it was reportedly the batteries). Now the company is going to have to get into a cruel coincidence at one of its supplier's factories. Per Bloomberg , Samsung SDI Co., one of two manufacturers that...
Samsung: Here's Why
Phones Caught Fire
Jan 23, 2017 4:24 AM CST
Samsung: Here's Why Phones Caught Fire
Batteries were to blame, company says
- One of the worst fiascos in smartphone history was caused not by faulty hardware or software, but by faulty batteries from two different manufacturers, Samsung says. In a Monday press conference in Seoul, the company said early Galaxy Note 7 fires were caused by ill-fitting battery components, the BBC reports....
Arrest Warrant Issued
for Samsung Boss
Jan 16, 2017 4:12 AM CST
Arrest Warrant Issued for Samsung Boss
Lee Jae-yong accused of embezzlement, bribery
- In a departure from the leniency typically given South Korean big businesses, prosecutors on Monday requested the arrest of the de facto head of Samsung Electronics, the country's most valuable company, in an influence-peddling scandal that has toppled the country's president , the AP reports. Lee Jae-yong, the 48-year-old...
Samsung Issuing Update to Kill
Every Note 7 Left in the Wild
Dec 10, 2016 3:08 PM CST
Samsung Issuing Update to Kill Every Note 7 Left in the Wild
But some US carriers are fighting back
- Samsung is preparing to release a software update that will turn every Galaxy Note 7—excellent fire starter, less good smartphone—into a very expensive paperweight, Gizmodo reports. Samsung issued a full recall of its once-heralded new smartphone two months ago because they wouldn't stop exploding, but some people...
In Apple v. Samsung, SCOTUS
Makes $399M Decision
Dec 6, 2016 12:03 PM CST
In Apple v. Samsung, SCOTUS Makes $399M Decision
And it goes with Samsung in design patent case
- Apple tried to hold onto the full $548 million in damages it recouped from Samsung in a lawsuit over smartphone design patents, but it looks like it may now have to settle for much less, based on a Tuesday Supreme Court decision, the
reports. The ruling noted that even...
Samsung Just Dropped $8B
to Take You for a Drive
Nov 14, 2016 3:51 PM CST
Samsung Just Dropped $8B to Take You for a Drive
Eye on smart cars, electronics behemoth made biggest buy ever with Harman
- Samsung is making an unlikely and uncharacteristic acquisition, and apparently it figured it had better go big or go home: The South Korean electronics giant on Monday dropped $8 billion on Harman International, a Connecticut-based audio pioneer known for car stereos that has, as the
Wall Street Journal
Samsung Apologizes for Note 7
in Full-Page Newspaper Ads
Nov 8, 2016 5:39 PM CST
Samsung Apologizes for Note 7 in Full-Page Newspaper Ads
Guess it figured people couldn't read the apology on their exploded phones
- Samsung wants Americans—or at least the handful of them that still ready daily newspapers—to know that it's "truly sorry" its new phones keep exploding. Gizmodo reports the company took out full-page ads in the
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
to address the...
Washing Machines Vibrating
So Hard They're Injuring Folks
Nov 4, 2016 7:10 PM CDT
Washing Machines Vibrating So Hard They're Injuring Folks
Samsung has recalled 3M washing machines
- In another black eye for one of the world's leading consumer brands, US authorities announced a recall Friday of nearly 3 million Samsung washing machines following several reports of injuries—including a broken jaw—due to "excessive vibration," the AP reports. The recall comes a month after...
Gov't Bans Samsung Galaxy
Note 7 Phones From Planes
Oct 14, 2016 4:54 PM CDT
Gov't Bans Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Phones From Planes
Passengers who try to sneak the phones on board may be fined
- Passengers and flight crews will be banned from bringing Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones on airline flights under an emergency order issued Friday by the Department of Transportation, the AP reports. The order, which goes into effect on Saturday, says the phones may not be carried on board or packed...
Note 7 Recall Will Cost
Samsung More Than $5B
Oct 14, 2016 1:18 AM CDT
Note 7 Recall Will Cost Samsung More Than $5B
Company aims to expand sales of less fiery phones
- Samsung says the discontinuation of the Galaxy Note 7 will cost the company about $3 billion during the current and next quarters, bringing the total cost of the recall to at least $5.3 billion. The Note 7 discontinuation will cost more than $2 billion during the October-December period and...
Helped Me Decide
to Keep My Galaxy Note 7
Oct 12, 2016 12:56 PM CDT
Helped Me Decide to Keep My Galaxy Note 7
Mashable's Josh Dickey uses formula from movie to decide to keep Samsung phone
- Samsung hasn't only recalled its Galaxy Note 7—it has stopped production entirely on the smartphone after replacement phones ended up catching fire, too. But for Josh Dickey, writing at Mashable , you'll have to wrest his Galaxy Note 7 "from my cold, possibly scorched hands" in a...
Last Time SCOTUS Heard
a Case Like This, It Was 1885
Oct 12, 2016 3:45 AM CDT
Last Time SCOTUS Heard a Case Like This, It Was 1885
Apple, Samsung battle has lasted years
- The last time the Supreme Court heard a design patent case, it involved carpets—and there were only 38 states in the USA. The long-running Apple vs. Samsung battle over the latter company's alleged copying of iPhone design elements made it to the country's top court Tuesday, and...
Samsung: Stop Using
'Improved' Galaxy Note 7
Oct 11, 2016 6:33 AM CDT
Samsung: Stop Using 'Improved' Galaxy Note 7
Replacement phones also caught fire
- Samsung says it's halting sales of the ill-starred Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after a spate of fires involving new devices that were supposed to be safe replacements for recalled models. The company ordered the suspension of sales Tuesday on the recommendation of South Korean safety officials, who say they...
While on Cell Phone
Oct 10, 2016 1:10 PM CDT
Man Electrocuted While on Cell Phone
The 27-year-old victim was listening to music while his phone charged
- A man in India was electrocuted while listening to music on his charging cell phone, the
reports. Police in the central state of Madhya Pradesh identified the victim as Sunil Yuvne. They said the 27-year-old suffered shocks on Saturday morning likely from an earphone attached to his mobile...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.