Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Samsung Issues Recall
of 664K Washing Machines
Dec 23, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Samsung Issues Recall of 664K Washing Machines
Software update can eliminate fire hazard, manufacturer says
- Saying it has received 51 reports from consumers of "smoking, melting, overheating or fire" involving several models of top-loading washers, Samsung has announced a recall of almost 664,000 of the machines. Owners of the 14 recalled models should stop using them immediately, according to the notice by the...
Samsung Chief Is Needed
at Work, Will Be Pardoned
Aug 12, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Samsung Chief Is Needed at Work, Will Be Pardoned
Lee Jae-yong's pardon is partially symbolic since he was released on parole a year ago
- The heir and de-facto leader of Samsung, twice imprisoned for bribing a former president of South Korea, has just received a presidential pardon. Lee Jae-yong's pardon is partially symbolic since he was released on parole a year ago after serving 18 months of a prison term that would have...
Critics Call New
Samsung Ad 'Tone Deaf'
Apr 28, 2022 5:18 PM CDT
Critics Call New Samsung Ad 'Tone Deaf'
Company apologizes over campaign that features a woman jogging alone at night
- A new Samsung ad is under fire as "tone deaf" in regard to women's safety, and the company has apologized to its critics, reports the BBC . The spot called "Night Owls" features a woman going for a run in the middle of the night alone, the point...
I Used Drug
Oct 13, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Samsung Chief: I Used Drug That Killed Michael Jackson
Lee Jae-yong admits in court he partook in propofol many times over 5-year period, says he's 'regretful'
- More troubles have emerged for Samsung chief Lee Jae-yong, who admitted in court this week he's used a controlled substance illegally—and quite a bit of it. Reuters reports that in Seoul Central District Court on Tuesday, Lee copped to partaking in the sedative propofol more than three dozen...
His Case Helped
Oust a President.
Now He's Free
Aug 13, 2021 7:13 AM CDT
His Case Helped Oust a President. Now He's Free on Parole
Samsung's Lee Jae-yong out of prison after 18 months of 30-month sentence
- Samsung leader Lee Jae-yong walked out of prison Friday a year early, in a parole decision showing the conglomerate's outsize influence in South Korea. Lee left the prison near Seoul to a barrage of camera flashes and bowed in apology over the anger ignited by his case, related to...
Samsung Heirs to Pay Truly
Staggering Inheritance Tax
in case you missed it
May 2, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Samsung Heirs to Pay Truly Staggering Inheritance Tax
That's a lot of zeroes...
- An estate tax bill with 10 zeroes in it? It's apparently possible, and being levied in South Korea, where the family of Samsung Electronics chair Lee Kun-hee is settling his estate following his October death . South Korea's inheritance tax rate of 50% is second only to Japan's...
3 Years of Freedom Are Over
Jan 18, 2021 8:17 AM CST
Samsung Billionaire's 3 Years of Freedom Are Over
Lee Jae-yong's retrial in S. Korea corruption scandal earns him 2.5 years more in prison
- Billionaire Samsung scion Lee Jae-yong was sent back to prison on Monday after a South Korean court handed him a 2.5-year sentence for his involvement in a 2016 corruption scandal that spurred massive protests and ousted South Korea's then-president. In a much-anticipated retrial, the Seoul High Court found...
Oct 25, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Founder of Electronics Dynasty Has Died
Lee Kun-hee transformed Samsung
- The man who turned Samsung into a tech powerhouse—and nearly lost it all amid white-collar crime convictions—died Sunday in Seoul, the
reports. Lee Kun-hee was 78. "Chairman Lee was a true visionary who transformed Samsung into the world-leading innovator and industrial powerhouse from a local...
Phone Costs $2K
Sep 1, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Samsung's New Phone Costs $2K
Folding phone is 'definitely a luxury device'
- Samsung has again unveiled a folding phone with a price tag of almost $2,000—and it says the $1,999 Galaxy Z Fold 2 won't suffer from the issues that plagued the original Galaxy Fold last year. Samsung says the phone, its third folding phone and one that...
Samsung Galaxy Users
Creeped Out by
Feb 20, 2020 1:11 PM CST
Samsung Galaxy Users Creeped Out by Weird Notification
But company says 'Find My Mobile 1' was just a mistake, no big deal
- Samsung Galaxy users worldwide were confused late Wednesday and early Thursday by a notification from "Find My Mobile" that read simply "1" and did nothing when clicked other than disappear. (A Twitter search reveals words and phrases like "creepy," "freaked out," and "mysterious,...
They Were About to Let the
Horses Out. Then, a Crash
Oct 28, 2019 8:21 AM CDT
They Were About to Let the Horses Out. Then, a Crash
'Oh my look what fall out of the sky'
- Samsung describes the return to Earth of its "SpaceSelfie" device as an "early soft landing in a selected rural area," though that "soft landing" turned out to be a bit startling, and even a little mysterious, for the Michigan couple that found it had crash-landed on...
Apr 22, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Breakage Postpones Samsung's Folding Phone
Reviewers reported problems with test models
- Samsung is pushing back this week's planned public launch of its highly anticipated, $2,000 folding phone after reports that reviewers' phones were breaking , the AP reports. The company had been planning to release the Galaxy Fold on Friday, but instead it will now run more tests and announce...
New Folding Phones
Are Already Breaking
Apr 18, 2019 2:08 AM CDT
New Folding Phones Are Already Breaking
Reviewer says Galaxy Fold was 'unusable' after 2 days
- Some of Samsung's new, almost $2,000 folding phones appear to be breaking after just a couple of days. Journalists who received the phones to review before the public launch say the Galaxy Fold screen started flickering and turning black before completely fizzling out, the AP reports. Two journalists...
With Hefty Price Tag
Feb 20, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Samsung Unveils Foldable Phone— With Hefty Price Tag
Galaxy Fold will cost $1,980
- Samsung unveiled a highly anticipated smartphone with a foldable screen in an attempt to break the innovation funk that has beset the smartphone market. But it's far from clear that consumers will embrace a device that retails for almost $2,000, or that it will provide the creative catalyst...
After More Than
10 Years, Samsung
Workers Get an Apology
Nov 23, 2018 11:15 AM CST
After More Than 10 Years, Samsung Workers Get an Apology
And compensation as company says sorry for employee illnesses, deaths
- Samsung Electronics apologized Friday for illnesses and deaths of some of its workers, saying it failed to create a safe working environment at its computer chip and display factories. The announcement by the South Korean tech giant came weeks after the company and a group representing ailing Samsung workers agreed...
Apple and Samsung Settle
Epic Patent Infringement Battle
Jun 27, 2018 7:39 PM CDT
Apple and Samsung Settle Epic Patent Infringement Battle
The companies filed a notice in federal court that they have agreed to drop the case
- An epic legal battle between smartphone titans is finally over. Apple and Samsung have settled their seven-year patent dispute over Apple’s allegations that Samsung copied the iPhone’s design and software, reports CNN . Terms were not available, but according to the
Wall Street Journal
, the companies filed a notice...
Jury: Samsung Owes Apple
$539M for Copying iPhone
May 25, 2018 2:48 AM CDT
Jury: Samsung Owes Apple $539M for Copying iPhone
Ruling seen as a big win for Apple
- A jury has decided Samsung must pay Apple $539 million in damages for illegally copying some of the iPhone's features to lure people into buying its competing products. The verdict reached Thursday is the latest twist in a legal battle that began in 2011, the AP reports. Apple contends...
Samsung Heir Walks Free
After Surprise Court Decision
Feb 5, 2018 8:05 AM CST
Samsung Heir Walks Free After Surprise Court Decision
Lee Jae-yong spent a year in prison
- Samsung heir Lee Jae-yong was freed Monday after a South Korean appeals court gave him a 2.5-year suspended jail sentence for corruption in connection with a scandal that toppled the country's president. The Seoul High Court softened the original ruling against Lee , rejecting most of the bribery charges...
Only 3 Non-Tech Brands
Make 'Most Valuable' Top 10
Sep 25, 2017 10:25 AM CDT
Only 3 Non-Tech Brands Make 'Most Valuable' Top 10
Apple is No. 1, followed by Google and Microsoft
- If you wanted to create a brand from scratch and make it a valued household name, the tech sector is probably a good place to start. Per
, Interbrand looked at some of the world's biggest brands, then ranked their value—and seven that made it into the...
Billionaire Samsung Heir
Sentenced to 5 Years In Prison
Aug 25, 2017 2:45 AM CDT
Billionaire Samsung Heir Sentenced to 5 Years In Prison
Lee Jae-yong guilty of bribing former president
- A South Korean court has sentenced the billionaire Samsung heir to five years in prison for bribery and other crimes that fed public anger leading to the ouster of Park Geun-hye as South Korea's president. The Seoul Central District Court said Friday that Lee Jae-yong , 49, was guilty of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.