Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
The House Elects a New Generation of Leaders
Stories 1 - 20 |
An Old John McCain
Scandal Takes a Turn
May 10, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
An Old John McCain Scandal Takes a Turn
Once-loyal ally Steve Schmidt is now at odds with the McCain family
- The name John McCain has been in the headlines a lot in the last few days, as has that of his once-loyal adviser, Steve Schmidt, along with McCain's daughter, Meghan. There's a lot to unpack in explaining why, but if you want a shorthand version, the headline at...
'There Is No
Aug 3, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
'There Is No Good Trump,' McCain Says About Mary
Co-host sits out interview but answers it on Twitter
- Meghan McCain appeared on "The View" as usual Monday, but she wasn't on set when Mary Trump was interviewed. The former president's niece took a shot at her anyway, Deadline reports. "It's a shame that your colleague didn't have the courage to come on...
Report: Cindy McCain
to Be Named US Ambassador
Apr 12, 2021 1:22 PM CDT
Report: Cindy McCain to Be Named US Ambassador
Politico says she is being vetted for World Food Programme role
- She endorsed Joe Biden for president and was censured by the Arizona GOP, but Cindy McCain is still a Republican—and sources tell Politico that she is set to become the first Republican nominated to a Senate-confirmed role in Biden's administration. The sources say McCain, the 66-year-old widow of...
Roberta McCain Dies at 108
Oct 12, 2020 3:31 PM CDT
Roberta McCain Dies at 108
Senator's feisty mother was his secret weapon on campaign trail
- Roberta Wright McCain, the mother of Sen. John McCain who used her feisty spirit to help convince voters during his 2008 presidential campaign, has died. She was 108. A spokesperson for daughter-in-law Cindy McCain says Roberta McCain died Monday. A cause of death was not immediately released. At 96, Roberta...
Cindy McCain Delivers
'Stunning Rebuke' to Trump
Sep 23, 2020 6:53 AM CDT
Cindy McCain Delivers 'Stunning Rebuke' to Trump
John McCain's widow endorses Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden
- The widow of the 2008 Republican nominee for president is endorsing the 2020 Democratic nominee. Per Axios , Cindy McCain officially announced her intentions via Twitter on Tuesday night, noting late husband John McCain's code of "country first" and adding , "We are Republicans, yes, but Americans foremost. There'...
Aug 27, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Hundreds More Republicans Endorse Biden
Former aides to Bush, McCain, and Romney back the Democratic nominee
- Hours before President Trump was to accept his party's nomination for president, several hundred more Republicans announced they're supporting Joe Biden. Included in the group are almost 300 veterans of President George W. Bush's administration or campaign, and more than 100 who were on the late John...
Cindy McCain Sees No
Voice of Reason Anymore
Aug 21, 2019 1:11 PM CDT
Cindy McCain Sees No Voice of Reason Anymore
Senator's wife laments changes since his death
- The Republican Party has changed since her husband's death a year ago, Cindy McCain says. Bipartisanship is missing. "I don't see anybody carrying that mantle at all, I don't see anyone carrying the voice—the voice of reason," she tells ABC News in a new...
Charles Had 90 Minutes to
Change Trump's Mind, Didn't
Jun 5, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Charles Had 90 Minutes to Change Trump's Mind, Didn't
President, Piers Morgan talk climate change in wide-ranging interview
- President Trump's sit-down with Prince Charles was supposed to last 15 minutes. It went for 90, but that wasn't enough to get Trump on board with Charles' climate stance. In a
Good Morning Britain
interview that aired Wednesday, the president answered a slew of questions from Piers Morgan....
Mulvaney Defends Request
to Hide USS John McCain
Jun 3, 2019 1:25 AM CDT
Mulvaney Defends Request to Hide USS John McCain
He says it was 'not an unreasonable thing'
- Asking the US Navy to conceal a ship named after three generations of American war heroes to avoid potentially irritating the president was "not an unreasonable thing," according to Mick Mulvaney. The acting White House chief of staff told NBC 's
Meet the Press
on Sunday that...
Navy Confirms Request to Hide
USS McCain From Trump
Jun 2, 2019 11:03 AM CDT
Navy Confirms Request to Hide USS McCain From Trump
Ships remained 'in their normal configuration,' admiral says
- The Navy indeed was asked to "minimize the visibility" of the USS John S. McCain when President Trump was in Japan last month. "However, all ships remained in their normal configuration during the President's visit," Rear Adm. Charlie Brown said in a statement Saturday, per Politico...
Trump Responds to Reports
of Odd McCain Directive
May 30, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
Trump Responds to Reports of Odd McCain Directive
If a White House official ordered ship obscured, he was 'well-meaning,' says president
- President Trump has made no secret of the fact that he isn't, and never was, an admirer of the late John McCain. But that story took a strange turn this week with a report that the White House ordered the Navy essentially to conceal a destroyer named for McCain'...
Report: White House Wanted
USS John McCain 'Out of Sight'
May 30, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Report: White House Wanted USS John McCain 'Out of Sight'
'Trump is a child,' tweets Meghan McCain
- The White House made a bizarre request ahead of President Trump's visit to a naval base in Japan this week, according to an email seen by the
Wall Street Journal
. In the May 15 email a US Indo-Pacific Command official told US Navy and Air Force officials that the...
May 28, 2019 6:06 AM CDT
'Be Respectful,' Meghan McCain Scolds Klobuchar
'The View' host wants late father left 'out of presidential politics'
- Meghan McCain was not a fan of Amy Klobuchar's anecdote about John McCain reciting names of dictators during President Trump's inauguration speech. "On behalf of the entire McCain family - @amyklobuchar please be respectful to all of us and leave my fathers legacy and memory out of...
Klobuchar: McCain Did an Odd
Thing at Trump's Inauguration
May 27, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Klobuchar: McCain Did an Odd Thing at Trump's Inauguration
He listed dictators 'because he knew this man'
- The late Sen. John McCain apparently predicted President Trump's cozy relationship with dictators well before the president rubbed elbows with Kim Jong Un and Rodrigo Duterte. At an event in Iowa on Saturday, Democratic presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar recounted that the Arizona senator "kept reciting to me names...
Trump Renews Criticism
of John McCain
Apr 26, 2019 9:16 AM CDT
Trump Renews Criticism of John McCain
Widow Cindy McCain disputes report she will endorse Joe Biden
- President Trump renewed his criticism of the late John McCain on Thursday, telling Sean Hannity of Fox News that McCain "did the nation a tremendous disservice" when he voted against a Republican bill to repeal ObamaCare in 2017. "John McCain, at the very last moment, late in the...
Arnold Defends McCain,
Takes Personal Jab at Trump
Mar 21, 2019 1:06 PM CDT
Arnold Defends McCain, Takes Personal Jab at Trump
The late senator's youngest daughter also made a rare public pushback
- President Trump has unleashed a series of new attacks on the late John McCain in recent days, seven months after the senator's death, and Sen. Joni Ernst on Thursday became the latest Republican to criticize him for it. "He does need to stop that," said Ernst when...
Trump: I Wasn't Thanked
for John McCain's Funeral
Mar 21, 2019 1:09 AM CDT
Trump: I Wasn't Thanked for John McCain's Funeral
Senator's daughter slams 'bizarre new low'
- President Trump continued his feud with the late John McCain Wednesday, telling an audience at a tank factory in Ohio that he "wasn't a fan" of the senator—and complaining that he was never thanked for approving his funeral seven months ago. "I gave him the kind...
Cindy McCain Shares the Hate
That Followed Trump's Criticism
Mar 20, 2019 12:34 PM CDT
Cindy McCain Shares the Hate That Followed Trump's Criticism
Senator's widow shares private message she received from a stranger
- "I'm glad he's dead," a stranger told John McCain's widow in a private social media message. Cindy McCain received the message after President Trump renewed his criticism of the longtime senator and POW, tweeting a series of attacks on McCain over the weekend, Today reports....
Romney 'Can't Understand'
Trump's Attacks on McCain
Mar 20, 2019 3:33 AM CDT
Romney 'Can't Understand' Trump's Attacks on McCain
He praises 'exemplary' senator
- The Republican Party's 2012 presidential nominee isn't happy about what the 2016 candidate is saying about the 2008 nominee. In a tweet Tuesday night, Sen. Mitt Romney wondered why President Trump had renewed his attacks on John McCain seven months after the Arizona senator's death,
Meghan Fires Back After
Trump Attacks John McCain
Mar 18, 2019 1:28 AM CDT
Meghan Fires Back After Trump Attacks John McCain
President still feuding with late senator
- President Trump is apparently still feuding with John McCain—seven months after the senator's death . After a report that a McCain associate had leaked the infamous Russia dossier, Trump quoted Ken Starr as saying it was a "very dark stain" on McCain's record and tweeted that the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.