Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Won't Be Tried
Over Capitol Trip
Jul 18, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Colbert Staffers Won't Be Tried Over Capitol Trip
Prosecutors say conviction seemed unlikely
: The nine
staff members arrested at the US Capitol complex will not face trial on unlawful entry charges, federal prosecutors have decided. A spokesman said conviction seemed unlikely because the people arrested had been invited and weren't asked to leave by their escorts, the AP reports....
by Capitol Cops
Jun 18, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Colbert Producers, Puppet Arrested by Capitol Cops
Robert Smigel, voice of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog puppet, said to be among the 7 detained
- It's been some time since Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has made headlines, but he's now back in the spotlight. The AP reports that seven staffers from Stephen Colbert's
were arrested on Capitol Hill Thursday night, and among those detained, per a list seen by...
Proud Boy Calls Out Colbert
in Court, Colbert Responds
Jun 16, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Proud Boy Calls Out Colbert in Court, Colbert Responds
Defense argued Jan. 6 trial should be moved because of coverage
- Stephen Colbert noticed that lawyers for a leader of the Proud Boys mentioned him in their attempt to have Joseph Biggs' trial moved from Washington, DC. A defense filing last week asked for a new location because of the "unquestionably spectacular 24/7" coverage of the organization in the media,...
on Gun Rules:
'This Is Now
May 26, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Kimmel on Gun Rules: 'This Is Now Our Fault'
Late-night hosts tackle the mass shooting in Texas
- Late-night hosts dug into the Texas mass shooting during their Wednesday monologues, often with emotional pleas:
He said he knew when he started his show he'd have days in which he'd have to talk about school shootings before segueing into lighter fare. He added that he
New Zealand PM Ardern
Responds to Uvalde Shooting
May 25, 2022 1:06 PM CDT
New Zealand PM Ardern Responds to Uvalde Shooting
She tells Colbert about her country's ban on military-style guns
- Reflecting on Tuesday’s school shooting, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says she does not view such events as a politician. “I see them just as a mother," she told Stephen Colbert, per the
I’m so sorry for what has happened here." The...
Late-Night Hosts Weigh in
on 'QAnon Shaman' Sentence
Nov 18, 2021 8:56 AM CST
Late-Night Hosts Weigh in on 'QAnon Shaman' Sentence
He 'could be out in time to storm the Capitol in 2024,' jokes Stephen Colbert
- With "QAnon shaman" Jacob Chansley now serving a 41-month federal sentence and probably out of the news cycle for a while, late-night hosts got a last round of jokes in on Wednesday night. Chansley, who stormed the Capitol shirtless wearing a horned, furry headdress, was described by prosecutors as...
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka
to Explain Congress
Sep 30, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka to Explain Congress
He sings about 'reconciliation' in a top hat
- Congress is nearing the end of a monumental week , one in which lawmakers are trying to avert a shutdown as they consider two huge pieces of legislation that could decide the fate of President Biden's legislative agenda. Stephen Colbert attempted to explain all this Wednesday night, in particular the...
Branson Invites Colbert to
Host Launch Livestream
Jul 9, 2021 8:02 AM CDT
Branson Invites Colbert to Host Launch Livestream
Billionaire will blast off Sunday morning
- Richard Branson is going to space on Sunday— nine days before rival billionaire Jeff Bezos—and he's now lined up a celebrity host for the livestream. Branson invited Stephen Colbert to host the Sunday morning event after the late-night host joked on Twitter about not being invited on the...
Jun 8, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
6 Late-Night Jokes About Trump's Pants
No, he didn't wear them backward, but that didn't stop the hosts
- There's a reason #Trumppants has been trending the last few days, even if it is a pretty strange one. After images surfaced online (see the aforementioned hashtag), the internet seemed convinced that Donald Trump wore his pants backward in North Carolina on Saturday, notes NPR . He did not. If...
Colbert's Show to Take
a Big Step Next Month
May 24, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Colbert's Show to Take a Big Step Next Month
Late-night host to return to live in-studio tapings with vaccinated audience starting June 14
- CBS said Monday that Stephen Colbert's late-night show will return to doing live episodes on June 14, with a vaccinated audience in New York's Ed Sullivan Theater.
The Late Show
, late night's top-rated entertainment program, produced 205 episodes without a live audience for more than a year...
Colbert: 'He'll Have
to Butt-Dial Reporters
From a Landline'
Apr 29, 2021 7:34 AM CDT
Colbert: 'He'll Have to Butt-Dial Reporters From a Landline'
Late-night hosts lapped up Giuliani raid
- Rudy Giuliani is a favorite target of late-night hosts even when he's not being raided by federal agents —and they didn't hold back on Wednesday night. Stephen Colbert, who unveiled a new Giuliani title card with a fart sound effect, per Vulture , noted that the raid "...
Late Night Takes Shots at J&J
Apr 14, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
Late Night Takes Shots at J&J
News on rare development of blood clots after vaccination catches attention of Colbert et al
- On Tuesday, the FDA and CDC recommended a "pause" of the Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine amid reports of rare blood clotting. Six women between the ages of 18 and 48 developed clots within a few weeks after receiving the J&J dose, out of nearly 7 million doses...
Mar 18, 2021 8:01 AM CDT
Late Night Got Somber on Wednesday
Hosts speak about the Georgia shootings, racism
- There wasn’t much to laugh about Wednesday as late night hosts took on the Atlanta-area shootings that left eight people dead, including six Asian women. The
's Trevor Noah noted his frustration at the shooter's claim that he wasn't motivated by racism . "Your...
Late Night Has
on Royal Hubbub
Mar 10, 2021 8:47 AM CST
Late Night Has Some Thoughts on Royal Hubbub
Colbert, Fallon, Kimmel, and Meyers tag-team against Buckingham Palace, Piers Morgan
- Buckingham Palace finally spoke up on Tuesday after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's interview with Oprah , noting the royals were "saddened" by the Sussexes' claims of racism and other challenges they'd faced. The palace also assured the public that those claims would be taken "very seriously"...
Late Night Blasts
Ted Cruz Photo Op
Feb 23, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Late Night Blasts Ted Cruz Photo Op
'Most people just drove away when he tried showing them his vacation photos'
- Late-night hosts who were on vacation during Ted Cruz's Cancun trip last week couldn't have been happier with the Texas senator's weekend photo op. Cruz had shared photos showing him meeting with first responders and putting water in people's vehicles with the hashtag #TexasStrong, which only...
by Greene's Committee Seat
Jan 29, 2021 8:04 AM CST
Democrats Dumbfounded by Greene's Committee Seat
They want Marjorie Taylor Greene ousted from Education Committee
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was "appalled" to learn Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, who once endorsed executing the speaker , was appointed to the House Education Committee. "What could they be thinking?" Pelosi said of Republican House leaders on Thursday, per Politico . "Or is thinking too generous of a...
'Anyone Else Feel Like
They Just Lost 280 Pounds?'
Jan 21, 2021 7:31 AM CST
'Anyone Else Feel Like They Just Lost 280 Pounds?'
Late night bids farewell to the Trump presidency
- "So that's what it feels like when you're not grinding your teeth." So declared an upbeat Seth Meyers on Wednesday after Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th US president. Meyers took some time stressing the phrase "former President Trump." He "concluded...
Late Night Goes to Town
on 'End of an Error'
Jan 20, 2021 7:39 AM CST
Late Night Goes to Town on 'End of an Error'
The takeaway: 'Take him away'
- Late night hosts made no attempt to hide their glee on Tuesday night, with hours left in Donald Trump's presidency. Jimmy Kimmel called it "the end of an error" and questioned whether the presidency was worth it for Trump. "Six years ago, we were all perfectly fine...
Late Night Not Wowed by
Trump's Social Media Bans
Jan 8, 2021 8:16 AM CST
Late Night Not Wowed by Trump's Social Media Bans
'Guess who doesn't want to ban TikTok anymore'
- Late night hosts had a lot to unpack Thursday, from Joe Biden's certification as the next US president to President Trump's bans from social media. "And yet, compared to yesterday , it's a slow news day," remarked Jimmy Fallon, who called out resigning White House officials...
Late Night's Take on
Wednesday Was Pretty Bleak
Jan 7, 2021 6:18 AM CST
Late Night's Take on Wednesday Was Pretty Bleak
Colbert calls it 'a horrifying day that will go down in US history, however much longer that is'
- Wednesday's events were no laughing matter for Jimmy Fallon, who on the
reviewed what unfolded at the Capitol with guest Dan Rather and had this to say: "Being here tonight and talking to you at home and reassuring you that we’re going to be OK...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Fetterman's Latest Swing at Dr. Oz: He's a 'Puppy Killer'
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.