Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Surgeon Loses License for
Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
Jan 14, 2022 9:18 AM CST
Surgeon Loses License for Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
UK's Simon Bramhall had burned his initials into livers of 2 patients in 2013
A British surgeon who burned his initials into the livers of two patients no longer has a medical license. On Monday, the UK's Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service found Simon Bramhall, 57, had broken trust with his patients through his actions during the 2013 surgeries, and that the branding...
Troubling History Emerges
About Historic Organ Recipient
Jan 13, 2022 1:04 PM CST
Troubling History Emerges About Historic Organ Recipient
'Washington Post' reports on his criminal past and the medical ethics at play
- Doctors at the University of Maryland Medical Center made big headlines this week with the first-ever transplant of a genetically modified pig heart into a human. But all that attention has brought to a light a troubling aspect of the patient's past: He once nearly killed a man by...
Surgeons Give Maryland Man
Genetically Edited Pig Heart
Jan 10, 2022 7:25 PM CST
Surgeons Give Maryland Man Genetically Edited Pig Heart
Patient is still alive three days after first-of-its-kind transplant operation
- A month ago, the outlook was extremely bleak for 57-year-old Maryland handyman David Bennett—he needed a new heart, but didn't qualify for a donor organ. At least, not from a human. Bennett, who had terminal heart disease, is now part of medical history after the first successful transplant...
Her Death With Long COVID
Illustrates a Medical Dilemma
Nov 8, 2021 3:18 PM CST
Her Death With Long COVID Illustrates a Medical Dilemma
Were Heidi Ferrer's organs safe to donate?
- When 50-year-old Heidi Ferrer died after battling COVID for more than a year, husband Nick Guthe wanted to donate her body to science. However, the hospital overruled him because Ferrer had signed up to become an organ donor. That made little sense to him, Guthe tells the
New York Times
For 54 Hours, a Pig's Kidney
Worked Normally in a Human
Oct 20, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
For 54 Hours, a Pig's Kidney Worked Normally in a Human
It's a major breakthrough, says the surgeon who performed the transplant
- More than 100,000 Americans are on an organ transplant list, and roughly 9 out of every 10 of them are waiting for a kidney—which makes this "breakthrough" such a huge one. Surgeons at NYU Langone Health say they successfully managed to transplant a kidney that was grown...
Denied Kidney Transplant
Oct 6, 2021 1:36 PM CDT
Unvaccinated Woman Denied Kidney Transplant
UCHealth says COVID poses 'extreme risk' to transplant patients
- A Colorado woman with stage 5 renal failure says she had a kidney donor lined up—but was told by the health system that the transplant wasn't going to happen unless both parties were vaccinated against COVID-19. Leilani Lutani says she hasn't been vaccinated because there are "...
Into Wrong Patient
Jul 13, 2021 4:19 PM CDT
Kidney Transplanted Into Wrong Patient
2 hospital employees are on administrative leave
- Getting the right organ into the right person is a crucial step in the organ transplant process, and an Ohio hospital system is trying to figure out how it went wrong. University Hospitals in Cleveland says a kidney intended for someone else ended up in the wrong patient in a...
The Teen Would Be
on the Transplant List
—If He Were White
Jul 10, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
The Teen Would Be on the Transplant List —If He Were White
A look into how race factors in to when patients get on the kidney transplant list
- "I was immediately taken by Jordan's story," writes Jennifer Tsai, who has been an emergency medicine physician for two years. "It's an illuminating example of how racism is alive and burrowed within medicine." And so in a lengthy piece for Slate she shares it,...
A 'New Category' of
May 2, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
A 'New Category' of Transplant Patients Is Emerging
COVID is leaving formerly healthy people with destroyed lungs
- Another gloomy sidebar to the COVID story: the fact that the illness is giving rise to what one doctor calls "a completely new category of transplant patients." NBC News charts the evolution of thought about giving new lungs or hearts to patients who have seen those organs essentially...
Transplant From Husband, Son
Saves Life of COVID Patient
Apr 9, 2021 10:07 AM CDT
Transplant From Husband, Son Saves Life of COVID Patient
Infection destroyed Japanese woman's lung function
- Surgeons in Japan say they have carried out a first-of-its-kind operation that will give hope to coronavirus patients with severe lung damage. In the world's first transplant of lung tissue from living donors to a COVID patient, a woman who had spent months on a life support machine received...
This COVID Transmission
Is First of Its Kind
in case you missed it
Feb 27, 2021 2:45 PM CST
This COVID Transmission Is First of Its Kind
Woman received a double-lung transplant, but they were unknowingly infected with coronavirus
- A woman received two new lungs in a double transplant last year, but it turns out the lungs were unknowingly infected with COVID-19, reports Kaiser Health News . The unidentified woman died last fall, two months after the operation in Michigan. It's the first confirmed case of the virus being...
Rule Change Gives New Hope
to People Waiting for an Organ
Nov 23, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Rule Change Gives New Hope to People Waiting for an Organ
Feds says 'broken' system is being improved
- The Trump administration's legacy will include a more efficient organ donation system that could save thousands of lives, under a new rule issued by the Centers for Medicaid and Medicaid services . The rule changes the way organ procurement organizations—federally funded nonprofit groups that collect organs from donors and...
Husband and Wife Save a Life,
15 Years Apart
Jun 23, 2020 11:35 AM CDT
Husband and Wife Save a Life, 15 Years Apart
Both donated organs to Florida's Jeffrey Granger
- It's an organ donor story with an unusual twist: A husband and wife ended up being donors to the same man 15 years apart, reports CBS News . The story begins in 2004, when 35-year-old Bryan Herrington died after a fall from a roof on his construction job, per CNN...
Her Lungs Were Among Worst
He'd Seen. Now, a 2nd Chance
Jun 11, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Her Lungs Were Among Worst He'd Seen. Now, a 2nd Chance
Double lung transplant saves young COVID-19 patient's life in Chicago
- A 20-something woman whose lungs were devastated by the coronavirus has undergone the first known US lung transplant related to COVID-19—a double transplant, at that. It was her one shot at survival, reports the
New York Times
. The procedure carried out at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago last week...
Helps Livers Survive,
Jan 15, 2020 10:10 AM CST
New Machine Helps Livers Survive, Regenerate Outside Body
This could be a huge breakthrough in transplant technology
- The liver is an amazing organ—the only internal one capable of regenerating itself—and researchers in Switzerland have come up with an invention almost as impressive. A machine they've been working on since 2015 keeps livers alive outside the human body for up to a week, instead of...
Identical Twin Gives
His Brother a Testicle
Dec 9, 2019 10:30 AM CST
Identical Twin Gives His Brother a Testicle
It's only the 3rd such operation, in part because of ethical issues
- Doctors in Serbia have accomplished a rare feat in the field of transplants: They removed a testicle from a donor and implanted it into his identical twin brother, reports the
New York Times
. The 36-year-olds are doing fine, and the procedure should allow the recipient not only to have more...
2 Patients, One Kidney,
a 'Rare' Mistake
Nov 27, 2019 2:04 PM CST
2 Patients, One Kidney, a 'Rare' Mistake
New Jersey hospital calls erroneous transplant an 'unprecedented event'
- A New Jersey hospital is offering a mea culpa for an "unprecedented event" and vowing to put measures into places so something similar never happens again. Per NJ Advance Media , Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden acknowledged this week that a 51-year-old patient on the transplant list...
Brain-Dead Patient Allegedly
Kept Alive to Boost Stats
Oct 4, 2019 11:43 AM CDT
Brain-Dead Patient Allegedly Kept Alive to Boost Stats
ProPublica investigation looks into case at Newark Beth Israel hospital in New Jersey
- A ProPublica investigation into practices at New Jersey's Newark Beth Israel hospital reveals a startling case: The hospital is accused of keeping a brain-dead patient alive for a year to boost survival stats on organ transplants. The story alleges that the hospital's transplant team kept the family of...
US May Be Tossing
Too Many Donated Kidneys
Aug 30, 2019 12:29 PM CDT
US May Be Tossing Too Many Donated Kidneys
US discards more than France, despite the big waiting list
- Every day, 12 Americans die while waiting for a kidney transplant. In what will be an especially hard pill to swallow for the 93,000 Americans currently on the waiting list, about 10 donated kidneys are discarded in that same period, reports
. A study published Monday in
Jun 18, 2019 5:48 PM CDT
China Forcefully Harvests Organs From Detainees, Tribunal Finds
Independent group calls practice 'unmatched wickedness'
- China is harvesting organs from detainees in prison camps to feed a $1 billion transplant business, an international tribunal has found. More than 1.5 million people are being held in the camps, and some of them are being killed for their organs, NBC reports. In London, the independent China...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.