Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'How Am I Talking to Someone
Who Has a Pig Heart?'
Sep 23, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
'How Am I Talking to Someone Who Has a Pig Heart?'
Navy vet Lawrence Faucette, 58, has transplant in Maryland, only the 2nd living patient to do so
- Surgeons have transplanted a pig's heart into a dying man in a bid to prolong his life—only the second patient to ever undergo such an experimental feat. Two days after the Wednesday procedure , the man was cracking jokes and able to sit in a chair, Maryland doctors said...
Pig Kidney Has Been Working
in a Human for 32 Days
Aug 16, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Pig Kidney Has Been Working in a Human for 32 Days
The patient in question is brain-dead
- Maurice Miller is brain-dead, but the 57-year-old is being kept alive so doctors at NYU Langone Health in New York City can study his kidney—which was transplanted from a pig. The organ has been producing urine and filtering toxins since July 14, meaning 32 days. That's far longer...
This Heart's Record Trip May Be
Game-Changer for Transplants
May 24, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
This Heart's Record Trip May Be Game-Changer for Transplants
Organ was transported 2.5K miles for transplant from Alaska to Boston, thanks to a special cooler
- When it comes to heart transplants, doctors don't want to see more than four to six hours pass from the time the organ is taken out of one body and moved into another. But one heart recently spent more than seven hours in transit, and traveled more than 2,...
A Dying Transplant Recipient
Explains the 'Gratitude Paradox'
Apr 18, 2023 4:31 PM CDT
A Dying Transplant Recipient Explains the 'Gratitude Paradox'
Amy Silverstein is grateful for her donated hearts but laments 'sorry state of transplant medicine'
- Amy Silverstein learned last month that she has incurable cancer. Now, in a
New York Times
essay, the author of
says goodbye to her heart. Which is to say, she says goodbye to the heart beating within her that she received in a transplant. It was actually her...
US Has One Organ Transplant
Overseer. That Could Change
Mar 22, 2023 4:47 PM CDT
US Has One Organ Transplant Overseer. That Could Change
The Biden administration looks to take power out of UNOS' hands
- Just one entity has been at the reins of the US transplant system for nearly 40 years, a fact the Biden administration is gunning to change. The government on Wednesday proposed breaking up the contract to oversee organ transplantation, which would take the sole responsibility for doing so out of...
State Lawmakers Propose
Cutting Sentences If
Inmates Donate Organs
Feb 6, 2023 7:25 PM CST
State Lawmakers Propose Cutting Sentences If Inmates Donate Organs
Critics call Massachusetts bill an ethical disaster
- With more than 100,000 Americans on waiting lists for transplant organs and more than 2 million inmates in American prisons, an unusual proposal in Massachusetts might be closely watched by other states. Democratic state lawmakers have introduced a bill that would give inmates time off their sentences for donating...
Police 'Santa Claus' Uses
Lamborghini to Deliver Organs
Dec 22, 2022 2:35 PM CST
Police 'Santa Claus' Uses Lamborghini to Deliver Organs
Automaker donated supercar to Italian police
- Two transplant patients in Italy received what police call a "Christmas present"—delivered not by sleigh, but by Lamborghini. State police in Bologna used an adapted Lamborghini Huracan supercar donated by the automaker to deliver kidneys to two hospitals hundreds of miles apart this week, AFP reports. The...
'Centurion Livers' May
Shift Thinking on Donors
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
'Centurion Livers' May Shift Thinking on Donors
Transplanted organ can function for decades, suggesting accepting older donors should be encouraged
- A new study into transplanted livers finds that the organs can continue functioning for a long time in a new recipient—sometimes for a combined total of more than 100 years between the donor and patient. The takeaway from the research is that hospitals shouldn't be too quick to...
Transplant Milestone Comes
Amid Fierce Criticism
Sep 10, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Transplant Milestone Comes Amid Fierce Criticism
US logs its millionth organ transplant amid calls for improvement to national system
- The US counted its millionth organ transplant on Friday, a milestone that comes at a critical time for Americans still desperately waiting for that chance at survival. It took decades from the first success—a kidney in 1954—to transplant 1 million organs, and officials can't reveal if this...
Researchers Partially Reverse
Death in Pig Organs
Aug 3, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Researchers Partially Reverse Death in Pig Organs
OrganEx technology could change the medical definition of death
- Yale University researchers have come up with an apparent cure for death, at least in pig organs. In research published in the journal
, researchers said their OrganEx system, which uses a network of pumps, filter, and tubing, restored circulation and repaired damaged cells in pigs that had been dead...
Man Who Got Pig Heart
Didn't Die From Rejection
Jul 8, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Man Who Got Pig Heart Didn't Die From Rejection
Doctors say procedure should be considered a success
- Maryland man David Bennett lived for only two months after he received a pig's heart —but doctors say the first-of-its-kind procedure counts as a success. Doctors at the University of Maryland School of Medicine say they determined that 57-year-old David Bennett died from heart failure but his body...
Man Set to Die in 8 Days
Wants to Donate Kidney First
Jul 5, 2022 4:26 PM CDT
Man Set to Die in 8 Days Wants to Donate Kidney First
Lawyers for Ramiro Gonzales request that his execution be delayed
- Ramiro Gonzales is scheduled to be put to death in Texas this month, but he's asking to push that date out so that he has time to first donate a kidney. The
reports the 39-year-old shot and killed 18-year-old Bridget Townsend in 2001 and has been on death...
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant
Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
May 17, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
They argue hospital vaccination requirement violates their religious beliefs
- Parents of a Michigan teen are asking a judge to overturn a hospital's requirement that their daughter be vaccinated against COVID-19 before receiving a "lifesaving" kidney transplant. The 17-year-old girl known by her initials "AC," has only one kidney, stage-three chronic kidney disease, and end-stage renal...
Pig Virus 'Hitched a Ride'
Into Man Who Got Pig's Heart
May 6, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Pig Virus 'Hitched a Ride' Into Man Who Got Pig's Heart
Doctors say virus may have caused David Bennett's death 2 months after transplant
- The first person to receive a heart transplant from a pig may have also been the first person to be killed by porcine cytomegalovirus—a virus normally only found in pigs that was detected in patient David Bennett 20 days after the transplant. The surgeon who performed the groundbreaking procedure,...
A 'Striking' COVID Finding
Related to Pregnancy
Apr 1, 2022 7:02 AM CDT
A 'Striking' COVID Finding Related to Pregnancy
Pregnant people at higher risk of breakthrough COVID than organ transplant recipients
- Pregnant people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 have a higher risk of breakthrough infection than vaccinated organ transplant recipients and those with weakened immune systems, new research suggests. It's a "striking" finding as the immunocompromised have taken precedence in the rollout of a fourth vaccine shot, reports...
Man Who Received First
Pig Heart Transplant Has Died
Mar 9, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Man Who Received First Pig Heart Transplant Has Died
David Bennett, 57, made it 2 months with the heart
- The first person to receive a heart transplant from a pig has died, two months after the groundbreaking experiment , the Maryland hospital that performed the surgery announced Wednesday. David Bennett, 57, died Tuesday at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Doctors didn't give an exact cause of death, saying...
Deceased COVID Patient
Was a Success
Feb 2, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Transplant From Deceased COVID Patient Was a Success
Kidney was taken from 30-year-old woman who died from COVID complications
- Surgeons say they have successfully transplanted an organ from a patient who died from COVID-19 complications, potentially opening the door to many more such transplants. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine researchers, writing in the
American Journal of Transplantation
, say a kidney was taken from a 30-year-old woman who died...
'Has Gone to the
Edge of Death to
Stick to His Guns'
Jan 25, 2022 9:55 AM CST
Anti-Vax Dad 'Has Gone to the Edge of Death to Stick to His Guns'
DJ Ferguson won't get COVID-19 vaccine in exchange for heart transplant
- A 31-year-old father of two with a third child on the way is in need of a heart transplant, but he won't get it because he refuses to be vaccinated against COVID-19, his father tells CBS Boston . David Ferguson tells the outlet that his son, DJ Ferguson, "has...
It's Another Big Milestone
on Organ Transplants
Jan 20, 2022 1:39 PM CST
It's Another Big Milestone on Organ Transplants
In test, doctors give kidneys from genetically altered pig to brain-dead patient
- It's the second big success story this month in regard to a potentially huge shift in the field of organ transplants. Doctors in Alabama transplanted the kidneys of a genetically altered pig to a brain-dead recipient, reports the
New York Times
. The surgeries took place in September, and the...
Surgeon Loses License for
Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
Jan 14, 2022 9:18 AM CST
Surgeon Loses License for Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
UK's Simon Bramhall had burned his initials into livers of 2 patients in 2013
A British surgeon who burned his initials into the livers of two patients no longer has a medical license. On Monday, the UK's Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service found Simon Bramhall, 57, had broken trust with his patients through his actions during the 2013 surgeries, and that the branding...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.