Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
State Lawmakers Propose
Cutting Sentences If
Inmates Donate Organs
Feb 6, 2023 7:25 PM CST
State Lawmakers Propose Cutting Sentences If Inmates Donate Organs
Critics call Massachusetts bill an ethical disaster
- With more than 100,000 Americans on waiting lists for transplant organs and more than 2 million inmates in American prisons, an unusual proposal in Massachusetts might be closely watched by other states. Democratic state lawmakers have introduced a bill that would give inmates time off their sentences for donating...
Police 'Santa Claus' Uses
Lamborghini to Deliver Organs
Dec 22, 2022 2:35 PM CST
Police 'Santa Claus' Uses Lamborghini to Deliver Organs
Automaker donated supercar to Italian police
- Two transplant patients in Italy received what police call a "Christmas present"—delivered not by sleigh, but by Lamborghini. State police in Bologna used an adapted Lamborghini Huracan supercar donated by the automaker to deliver kidneys to two hospitals hundreds of miles apart this week, AFP reports. The...
'Centurion Livers' May
Shift Thinking on Donors
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
'Centurion Livers' May Shift Thinking on Donors
Transplanted organ can function for decades, suggesting accepting older donors should be encouraged
- A new study into transplanted livers finds that the organs can continue functioning for a long time in a new recipient—sometimes for a combined total of more than 100 years between the donor and patient. The takeaway from the research is that hospitals shouldn't be too quick to...
Transplant Milestone Comes
Amid Fierce Criticism
Sep 10, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Transplant Milestone Comes Amid Fierce Criticism
US logs its millionth organ transplant amid calls for improvement to national system
- The US counted its millionth organ transplant on Friday, a milestone that comes at a critical time for Americans still desperately waiting for that chance at survival. It took decades from the first success—a kidney in 1954—to transplant 1 million organs, and officials can't reveal if this...
Researchers Partially Reverse
Death in Pig Organs
Aug 3, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Researchers Partially Reverse Death in Pig Organs
OrganEx technology could change the medical definition of death
- Yale University researchers have come up with an apparent cure for death, at least in pig organs. In research published in the journal
, researchers said their OrganEx system, which uses a network of pumps, filter, and tubing, restored circulation and repaired damaged cells in pigs that had been dead...
Man Who Got Pig Heart
Didn't Die From Rejection
Jul 8, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Man Who Got Pig Heart Didn't Die From Rejection
Doctors say procedure should be considered a success
- Maryland man David Bennett lived for only two months after he received a pig's heart —but doctors say the first-of-its-kind procedure counts as a success. Doctors at the University of Maryland School of Medicine say they determined that 57-year-old David Bennett died from heart failure but his body...
Man Set to Die in 8 Days
Wants to Donate Kidney First
Jul 5, 2022 4:26 PM CDT
Man Set to Die in 8 Days Wants to Donate Kidney First
Lawyers for Ramiro Gonzales request that his execution be delayed
- Ramiro Gonzales is scheduled to be put to death in Texas this month, but he's asking to push that date out so that he has time to first donate a kidney. The
reports the 39-year-old shot and killed 18-year-old Bridget Townsend in 2001 and has been on death...
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant
Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
May 17, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
They argue hospital vaccination requirement violates their religious beliefs
- Parents of a Michigan teen are asking a judge to overturn a hospital's requirement that their daughter be vaccinated against COVID-19 before receiving a "lifesaving" kidney transplant. The 17-year-old girl known by her initials "AC," has only one kidney, stage-three chronic kidney disease, and end-stage renal...
Pig Virus 'Hitched a Ride'
Into Man Who Got Pig's Heart
May 6, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Pig Virus 'Hitched a Ride' Into Man Who Got Pig's Heart
Doctors say virus may have caused David Bennett's death 2 months after transplant
- The first person to receive a heart transplant from a pig may have also been the first person to be killed by porcine cytomegalovirus—a virus normally only found in pigs that was detected in patient David Bennett 20 days after the transplant. The surgeon who performed the groundbreaking procedure,...
A 'Striking' COVID Finding
Related to Pregnancy
Apr 1, 2022 7:02 AM CDT
A 'Striking' COVID Finding Related to Pregnancy
Pregnant people at higher risk of breakthrough COVID than organ transplant recipients
- Pregnant people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 have a higher risk of breakthrough infection than vaccinated organ transplant recipients and those with weakened immune systems, new research suggests. It's a "striking" finding as the immunocompromised have taken precedence in the rollout of a fourth vaccine shot, reports...
Man Who Received First
Pig Heart Transplant Has Died
Mar 9, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Man Who Received First Pig Heart Transplant Has Died
David Bennett, 57, made it 2 months with the heart
- The first person to receive a heart transplant from a pig has died, two months after the groundbreaking experiment , the Maryland hospital that performed the surgery announced Wednesday. David Bennett, 57, died Tuesday at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Doctors didn't give an exact cause of death, saying...
Deceased COVID Patient
Was a Success
Feb 2, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Transplant From Deceased COVID Patient Was a Success
Kidney was taken from 30-year-old woman who died from COVID complications
- Surgeons say they have successfully transplanted an organ from a patient who died from COVID-19 complications, potentially opening the door to many more such transplants. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine researchers, writing in the
American Journal of Transplantation
, say a kidney was taken from a 30-year-old woman who died...
'Has Gone to the
Edge of Death to
Stick to His Guns'
Jan 25, 2022 9:55 AM CST
Anti-Vax Dad 'Has Gone to the Edge of Death to Stick to His Guns'
DJ Ferguson won't get COVID-19 vaccine in exchange for heart transplant
- A 31-year-old father of two with a third child on the way is in need of a heart transplant, but he won't get it because he refuses to be vaccinated against COVID-19, his father tells CBS Boston . David Ferguson tells the outlet that his son, DJ Ferguson, "has...
It's Another Big Milestone
on Organ Transplants
Jan 20, 2022 1:39 PM CST
It's Another Big Milestone on Organ Transplants
In test, doctors give kidneys from genetically altered pig to brain-dead patient
- It's the second big success story this month in regard to a potentially huge shift in the field of organ transplants. Doctors in Alabama transplanted the kidneys of a genetically altered pig to a brain-dead recipient, reports the
New York Times
. The surgeries took place in September, and the...
Surgeon Loses License for
Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
Jan 14, 2022 9:18 AM CST
Surgeon Loses License for Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
UK's Simon Bramhall had burned his initials into livers of 2 patients in 2013
A British surgeon who burned his initials into the livers of two patients no longer has a medical license. On Monday, the UK's Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service found Simon Bramhall, 57, had broken trust with his patients through his actions during the 2013 surgeries, and that the branding...
Troubling History Emerges
About Historic Organ Recipient
Jan 13, 2022 1:04 PM CST
Troubling History Emerges About Historic Organ Recipient
'Washington Post' reports on his criminal past and the medical ethics at play
- Doctors at the University of Maryland Medical Center made big headlines this week with the first-ever transplant of a genetically modified pig heart into a human. But all that attention has brought to a light a troubling aspect of the patient's past: He once nearly killed a man by...
Surgeons Give Maryland Man
Genetically Edited Pig Heart
Jan 10, 2022 7:25 PM CST
Surgeons Give Maryland Man Genetically Edited Pig Heart
Patient is still alive three days after first-of-its-kind transplant operation
- A month ago, the outlook was extremely bleak for 57-year-old Maryland handyman David Bennett—he needed a new heart, but didn't qualify for a donor organ. At least, not from a human. Bennett, who had terminal heart disease, is now part of medical history after the first successful transplant...
Her Death With Long COVID
Illustrates a Medical Dilemma
Nov 8, 2021 3:18 PM CST
Her Death With Long COVID Illustrates a Medical Dilemma
Were Heidi Ferrer's organs safe to donate?
- When 50-year-old Heidi Ferrer died after battling COVID for more than a year, husband Nick Guthe wanted to donate her body to science. However, the hospital overruled him because Ferrer had signed up to become an organ donor. That made little sense to him, Guthe tells the
New York Times
For 54 Hours, a Pig's Kidney
Worked Normally in a Human
Oct 20, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
For 54 Hours, a Pig's Kidney Worked Normally in a Human
It's a major breakthrough, says the surgeon who performed the transplant
- More than 100,000 Americans are on an organ transplant list, and roughly 9 out of every 10 of them are waiting for a kidney—which makes this "breakthrough" such a huge one. Surgeons at NYU Langone Health say they successfully managed to transplant a kidney that was grown...
Denied Kidney Transplant
Oct 6, 2021 1:36 PM CDT
Unvaccinated Woman Denied Kidney Transplant
UCHealth says COVID poses 'extreme risk' to transplant patients
- A Colorado woman with stage 5 renal failure says she had a kidney donor lined up—but was told by the health system that the transplant wasn't going to happen unless both parties were vaccinated against COVID-19. Leilani Lutani says she hasn't been vaccinated because there are "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.