Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Plane Ditches Takeoff
Over Crash Photos
May 10, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Plane Ditches Takeoff Over Crash Photos
Passengers on a jet taxiing in Israel received unsolicited images on their phones
- A flight bound from Israel to Turkey aborted takeoff after passengers received a series of unsolicited plane-crash photos on their phones. Per the BBC, the Turkish AnadoluJet carrying 160 passengers was taxiing at Ben Gurion Airport when the crew received reports of the disturbing images. Taking no chances, the plane'...
Causes Airport Panic
Apr 29, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Family's Souvenir Causes Airport Panic
US travelers in Israel had unexploded shell in their luggage
- A US family's trip to the Middle East ended in chaos when airport screeners found an unexploded shell they'd found and kept as a souvenir. Reuters reports on the Thursday incident at Israel's Ben Gurion Airport, where the family showed up for their trip back to the...
Skirmishes Have Israel,
Hamas on Brink of War
Apr 19, 2022 4:59 PM CDT
Skirmishes Have Israel, Hamas on Brink of War
Neither side appears to want one, but neither is backing down, either
- Days of violence in Jerusalem and an exchange of fire in Gaza overnight have raised the possibility that Israel and Gaza's Hamas rulers will once again go to war, as they did less than a year ago under similar circumstances, per the AP . This time around, both Israel and...
Artifact' Found at
Apr 14, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
'Really Amazing Artifact' Found at Jesus' Supposed Crucifixion Site
Medieval altar would've stood at apex of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- A medieval altar, apparently long forgotten, has been rediscovered at the supposed site of Jesus Christ's crucifixion. Recent excavations on Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the site where many Christians believe Jesus was crucified , buried, and resurrected, revealed a large stone slab, "pressed against a wall...
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
4 Israelis Die
Mar 22, 2022 5:19 PM CDT
4 Israelis Die in 'Abominable Killing Spree'
Police say Israeli Arab man stabbed people in Beersheba city center
- A knife-wielding Israeli Arab man killed four people and seriously wounded two others in the southern Israeli city of Beersheba before he was shot dead by armed residents, police said Tuesday. Police said the attacker careened his car into a cyclist and stabbed five people across a swath of the...
UN Estimates Civilian Toll
Mar 20, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
UN Estimates Civilian Toll
Agency says more than 70 children have been killed in attack on Ukraine
- The fighting in Ukraine has killed at least 900 civilians so far, the United Nations human rights agency estimated Sunday. A statement said that 1,459 were reported injured, and that those killed included 179 men, 134 women, 11 girls, and 25 boys, per CNN . Another 39 children and 514...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
Father: Israel Has Held Teen
Son a Year Without Charges
Jan 10, 2022 9:54 AM CST
Father: Israel Has Held Teen Son a Year Without Charges
17-year-old Palestinian with neuromuscular disorder is under 'administrative detention'
- Israel is considering whether to extend the detention of a 17-year-old Palestinian boy with a rare neuromuscular disorder who has been held without charge for nearly a year in what authorities refer to as administrative detention, his father said Monday. The use of administrative detention has galvanized demonstrations across the...
'Aura of Light' Fuels
a Mount Sinai Theory
in case you missed it
Jan 2, 2022 1:05 PM CST
'Aura of Light' Fuels a Mount Sinai Theory
Light on a canyon wall creates a 'burning bush' effect
- In the Book of Exodus , Moses went to Mount Sinai, and, there, "the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up." A fascinating piece from the
Man Says He's
Banned From Leaving
Israel for 8K Years
Dec 28, 2021 4:41 PM CST
Man Says He's Banned From Leaving Israel for 8K Years
He says court ordered him to pay more than $2M child support in advance
- Noam Huppert says that thanks to a quirk in Israeli divorce law, he has been banned from leaving the country for almost 8,000 years. The 44-year-old Australian citizen tells news.com.au that his former spouse moved to Israel in 2011, when one of their children was three months...
Dec 28, 2021 12:58 PM CST
Israel Suffers Its Deadliest Wildlife Disaster
At least 5K cranes dead in bird flu outbreak
- A bird flu outbreak in northern Israel has killed at least 5,200 migratory cranes and forced farmers to slaughter hundreds of thousands of chickens as authorities try to contain what they say is the deadliest wildlife disaster in the nation's history. Uri Naveh, a senior scientist at the...
Israeli Experts Back 4th Dose
Dec 23, 2021 3:35 PM CST
Israeli Experts Back 4th Dose
Advisory panel recommends the move, but other experts want to wait for data
- The evidence that it would help is not overwhelming, but Israel nevertheless is considering approving a fourth dose of COVID-19 vaccine after receiving an expert panel's recommendation. Israel has moved quickly on getting its population vaccinated and was an early adopter on third doses of vaccine. With the omicron...
Belonged to One of
the First Christians
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Shipwreck Ring Belonged to One of the First Christians
Ring inscribed with 'Good Shepherd' among Roman-era treasures found off Israel
- A gold ring belonging to one of the first Christians is among the treasures pulled from a Roman-era shipwreck off Israel, researchers say. Also discovered in the wreck off the ancient port of Caesarea is a bronze eagle figurine, bells meant to keep evil spirits at bay, various pottery, and...
Trump Fumes at Netanyahu,
Drops F-Bomb in Interview
Dec 10, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Trump Fumes at Netanyahu, Drops F-Bomb in Interview
He says former Israeli leader should not have congratulated Joe Biden after the election
- Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu had strong ties when both were leading their respective nations. Today, not so much. In an interview with Israeli journalist Barak Ravid for Ravid's new book, Trump seethes at the former prime minister for congratulating Joe Biden after the 2020 election he continues to...
Nations, Church Decry Displays
of Anti-Semitism on Holiday
Nov 13, 2021 3:50 PM CST
Nations, Church Decry Displays of Anti-Semitism on Holiday
Polish nationalists shouted 'Death to Jews' during Independence Day celebrations
- Israeli and Polish government officials on Saturday condemned an antisemitic incident involving Polish nationalists chanting "Death to Jews" on Poland's Independence Day this week. Participants at the gathering also burned a copy of a medieval document that offered Jews protection and rights in Polish lands, the AP reports....
Boy Spirited Away
After Cable Car Crash
Must Be Returned: Court
Nov 12, 2021 1:44 AM CST
Boy Spirited Away After Cable Car Crash Must Be Returned: Court
An arrest warrant was just issued for the boy's grandfather
- An Israeli appeals court has said a 6-year-old boy who survived a cable car crash in Italy must be returned to his relatives there within 15 days, upholding an earlier ruling in a bitter custody battle with family members in Israel, the AP reports. Eitan Biran’s parents and younger...
Hit Record Highs
Nov 11, 2021 10:15 AM CST
COVID Cases Hit Record Highs in Germany, Netherlands
Meanwhile, Austria plans a lockdown for the unvaccinated
- Winter is approaching in Europe—and with it, a return to tighter COVID restrictions, at least for the unvaccinated. Reuters reports that, with strained ICUs and infections at a record high, Austria is planning a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said Thursday that the country is just days...
Arrest Warrant Out for Grandpa
of Boy in Cable Car Crash
Nov 10, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Arrest Warrant Out for Grandpa of Boy in Cable Car Crash
Prosecutors say Eitan Biran was abducted in a 'premeditated strategic plan'
The maternal grandfather of a 6-year-old who survived a May cable car crash that killed his parents and younger brother is now officially in legal hot water. The BBC reports Italy has issued an international arrest warrant for Shmuel Peleg, who's accused of abducting the boy from Italy,...
Amid Lofty Goals,
a More Earthly Snub
Nov 2, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Amid Lofty Goals, a More Earthly Snub
Israeli minister was shut out of climate meetings because forum wasn't wheelchair accessible
- The world climate summit continues in Scotland, and the coverage of COP26 is wide-ranging. A sample:
The US has formally rejoined a group known as the High Ambition Coalition at the climate talks, reports the
. The group, made up of developed and developing countries, will push for nations
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.