Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Palestinian Hunger Striker
Has Refused Food for 160 Days
Aug 9, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Palestinian Hunger Striker Has Refused Food for 160 Days
Egypt is seeking release of Khalil Awawdeh as part of Gaza ceasefire deal
- A Palestinian hunger striker who his family says has refused food for the past 160 days and is wasting away in an Israeli jailhouse infirmary has suddenly been thrust into the center of efforts to firm up a Gaza ceasefire. Khalil Awawdeh is in the spotlight because the Islamic Jihad...
After Days of
Violence in Gaza
Aug 8, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Ceasefire Between Israel, Palestinians After Days of Violence in Gaza
After 3 days of the worst fighting since last year
- A ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants took effect late Sunday in a bid to end nearly three days of violence that killed dozens of Palestinians and disrupted the lives of hundreds of thousands of Israelis, the AP reports. The flare-up was the worst fighting between Israel and Gaza militant...
Israel, Militants Edge Closer
to War as Airstrikes Intensify
Aug 7, 2022 8:14 AM CDT
Israel, Militants Edge Closer to War as Airstrikes Intensify
Israeli bomb kills another Islamic Jihad commander, as militants retaliate with missiles
- Israel said Sunday that it killed a senior Islamic Jihad commander in a crowded Gaza refugee camp, the second such targeted attack since it launched its high-stakes military offensive against the militant group before the weekend. The Iran-backed militant group has fired hundreds of rockets at Israel in response, and...
Risk 'All-Out War'
Aug 5, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
Israeli Airstrikes Risk 'All-Out War'
At least 8 are killed, 40 hurt in Gaza; Israel says it was targeting Islamic Jihad
- Israel unleashed a wave of airstrikes in Gaza on Friday, killing at least eight people, including a senior militant, and wounding another 40, according to Palestinian officials. Israel said it was targeting the Islamic Jihad militant group in response to an "imminent threat" following the arrest of a senior...
Painted in West Bank,
Resurfaces in Israel
Aug 5, 2022 4:11 AM CDT
Long-Lost Banksy, Painted in West Bank, Resurfaces in Israel
Secretive artist painted it on concrete slab in West Bank
- A long-lost painting by the British graffiti artist Banksy has resurfaced in a swank art gallery in downtown Tel Aviv, an hour’s drive and a world away from the concrete wall in the occupied West Bank where it was initially sprayed.The relocation of the painting—which depicts a...
Seabed Gives Up Coin
Minted 1.8K Years Ago
Jul 27, 2022 9:01 AM CDT
Seabed Gives Up Coin Minted 1.8K Years Ago
It's been traced back to Egypt under the rule of Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius
- Israel's Antiquities Authority said Monday it has discovered a rare 1,850-year-old bronze zodiac coin during an underwater survey off the coastal city of Haifa, reports the AP . The coin bears the image of the zodiac sign Cancer behind a depiction of the moon goddess Luna. Experts say the...
Secret Service Employee
Sent Home From Biden Trip
Jul 13, 2022 4:01 PM CDT
Secret Service Employee Sent Home From Biden Trip
Woman accuses worker of assault on an Israeli street before Biden's arrival
- A Secret Service employee has been sent home after being arrested and briefly held and questioned by Israeli police. A woman had accused the employee of what an agency spokesman called a "physical encounter" Monday night, NBC News reports. The confrontation occurred on a street when agency employees were...
Biden's Last Stop in the
Middle East Is His Big One
Jul 13, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Biden's Last Stop in the Middle East Is His Big One
That would be Saudi Arabia
- President Biden landed in Israel on Wednesday for his first trip to the Middle East since taking office. It's a whirlwind four-day trip: Biden is spending two days in Jerusalem for talks with Israeli leaders before meeting Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday in the West Bank. He then...
Ben & Jerry's Sues
Parent Company to
Stop Israel Deal
Jul 6, 2022 1:31 AM CDT
Ben & Jerry's Sues Parent Company to Stop Israel Deal
Company still doesn't want its ice cream sold in Israeli-occupied territories
- Ben & Jerry's announced plans to stop selling its ice cream in the West Bank and east Jerusalem nearly a year ago, a move that did not go over well with Israel . On June 29, the ice cream maker's parent company, Unilever, announced it would sell the Ben...
Another Election Could
Give Netanyahu an Opening
Jun 20, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Another Election Could Give Netanyahu an Opening
Israeli prime minister's diverse coalition can't hold
- Israel's weakened coalition government announced Monday that it would dissolve parliament and call new elections, setting the stage for the possible return to power of former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or another period of prolonged political gridlock. The election will be Israel's fifth in three years, and it...
Biden's First Middle East Trip
Raises Some Eyebrows
Jun 14, 2022 8:43 AM CDT
Biden's First Middle East Trip Raises Some Eyebrows
President will meet with Crown Prince Mohammed in Saudi Arabia, which he once called a 'pariah'
- President Biden will make his first trip to the Middle East next month with visits to Israel, the West Bank, and Saudi Arabia, the White House announced Tuesday. The decision to pay a call on Saudi leaders during the July 13-16 trip comes after Biden as a Democratic presidential candidate...
His Startup Is About to Go
Public. He's Also a Killer
May 21, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
His Startup Is About to Go Public. He's Also a Killer
Inside the story of Harel Hershtik
- When he was 20 years old, Harel Hershtik planned and executed a murder, shooting his victim in the head and burying the body in a crime that a quarter of a century later is still widely remembered for its grisly details. Today, he is the brains behind an Israeli health-tech...
Israel Begins Investigation
of Police Actions at Funeral
May 14, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Israel Begins Investigation of Police Actions at Funeral
Officers beat mourners during procession for Al Jazeera journalist
: Israeli police announced Saturday they're investigating the actions of officers during a journalist's funeral that became violent. International criticism of the officers, who attacked pallbearers trying to reach a church in Jerusalem, has been widespread since the confrontation Friday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden is...
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash
Over Death of Reporter
May 11, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash Over Death of Reporter
Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, a US citizen, was killed during Israeli raid in West Bank
- A female journalist for Al Jazeera was shot and killed while covering an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank town of Jenin early Wednesday. The broadcaster and a reporter who was wounded in the incident blamed Israeli forces, while Israel claimed there was evidence the two were hit by...
Plane Ditches Takeoff
Over Crash Photos
May 10, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Plane Ditches Takeoff Over Crash Photos
Passengers on a jet taxiing in Israel received unsolicited images on their phones
- A flight bound from Israel to Turkey aborted takeoff after passengers received a series of unsolicited plane-crash photos on their phones. Per the BBC, the Turkish AnadoluJet carrying 160 passengers was taxiing at Ben Gurion Airport when the crew received reports of the disturbing images. Taking no chances, the plane'...
Causes Airport Panic
Apr 29, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Family's Souvenir Causes Airport Panic
US travelers in Israel had unexploded shell in their luggage
- A US family's trip to the Middle East ended in chaos when airport screeners found an unexploded shell they'd found and kept as a souvenir. Reuters reports on the Thursday incident at Israel's Ben Gurion Airport, where the family showed up for their trip back to the...
Skirmishes Have Israel,
Hamas on Brink of War
Apr 19, 2022 4:59 PM CDT
Skirmishes Have Israel, Hamas on Brink of War
Neither side appears to want one, but neither is backing down, either
- Days of violence in Jerusalem and an exchange of fire in Gaza overnight have raised the possibility that Israel and Gaza's Hamas rulers will once again go to war, as they did less than a year ago under similar circumstances, per the AP . This time around, both Israel and...
Artifact' Found at
Apr 14, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
'Really Amazing Artifact' Found at Jesus' Supposed Crucifixion Site
Medieval altar would've stood at apex of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- A medieval altar, apparently long forgotten, has been rediscovered at the supposed site of Jesus Christ's crucifixion. Recent excavations on Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the site where many Christians believe Jesus was crucified , buried, and resurrected, revealed a large stone slab, "pressed against a wall...
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
4 Israelis Die
Mar 22, 2022 5:19 PM CDT
4 Israelis Die in 'Abominable Killing Spree'
Police say Israeli Arab man stabbed people in Beersheba city center
- A knife-wielding Israeli Arab man killed four people and seriously wounded two others in the southern Israeli city of Beersheba before he was shot dead by armed residents, police said Tuesday. Police said the attacker careened his car into a cyclist and stabbed five people across a swath of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.