Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Have Ticket for
Flight. His Parents
Left Him Behind
Feb 1, 2023 9:45 AM CST
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Tel Aviv police alerted to possible child abandonment Tuesday
- Airport staff see a lot of weird stuff . But staff at Israel's main airport in Tel Aviv say "we didn't believe what we were seeing" Tuesday as a couple—who'd purchased two tickets for a flight out of the country—ran off to catch their flight,...
Palestinian, 13, Opens Fire
Jan 28, 2023 3:10 PM CST
Palestinian, 13, Opens Fire
Attack that wounded two follows slayings of seven outside east Jerusalem synagogue
- A 13-year-old Palestinian opened fire in east Jerusalem on Saturday, wounding two Israelis, officials said, a day after another attacker killed seven outside a synagogue in the deadliest attack in the city since 2008. The shooting in the Palestinian neighborhood of Silwan in east Jerusalem, near the historic Old City,...
Escalation Fears Rise
After Israel Strikes Gaza
Jan 27, 2023 4:18 AM CST
Escalation Fears Rise After Israel Strikes Gaza
Rockets were fired from Gaza after 9 Palestinians died in West Bank raid
- Israel’s defense minister signaled Friday that the military would stop its airstrikes if Palestinian militant groups halted rocket attacks, a day after the deadliest Israeli raid in decades raised the prospect of a major flare-up in fighting. After a limited exchange of Palestinian rockets and Israeli airstrikes on Gaza...
Despite Opposition, Netanyahu
Sticks by Judicial Changes
Jan 15, 2023 2:50 PM CST
Despite Opposition, Netanyahu Sticks by Judicial Changes
Plan has been denounced by thousands, including a Supreme Court justice
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday his government plans to charge ahead with an overhaul of the country's judicial system, despite fierce criticism from top legal officials and protests against the changes that have drawn thousands of people. Netanyahu, who is on trial for corruption, has made the...
Israeli Lawmakers Protest
New Government's Plans
Jan 7, 2023 2:45 PM CST
Israeli Lawmakers Protest New Government's Plans
Left-wing Knesset members' concerns include judicial overhaul
- Thousands of Israelis took to the streets Saturday evening to protest plans by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's new government that opponents say threaten democracy and freedoms. The protesters gathered in the central city of Tel Aviv days after the most right-wing and religiously conservative government in the country's...
Outgoing PM to Incoming PM:
'Try Not to Destroy' Israel
Dec 29, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Outgoing PM to Incoming PM: 'Try Not to Destroy' Israel
Benjamin Netanyahu is back for 6th term, leading nation's most far-right government yet
- Benjamin Netanyahu was sworn into office Thursday, taking the helm of the most right-wing and religiously conservative government in Israel's history and vowing to implement policies that could cause domestic and regional turmoil and alienate the country's closest allies. Netanyahu took the oath of office moments after parliament...
Deal to Return
as Prime Minister
Dec 21, 2022 7:05 PM CST
Netanyahu Strikes Deal to Return as Prime Minister
Governing coalition will be the furthest right in Israeli history
- Benjamin Netanyahu announced Wednesday that he's assembled a coalition that will return him to the prime minister's office, where he'll reign over the most far-right government in Israel's history. The ultra-Orthodox and far-right allies he ceded power to have promised broad changes in the country, the...
They Used to Come
to 'Salome Cave' to
Pray. Now, a Big Dig
Dec 20, 2022 10:05 AM CST
They Used to Come to 'Salome Cave' to Pray. Now, a Big Dig
Inside the 2,000-year-old burial cave said to be for Jesus' midwife: lots of beautiful oil lamps
- An ancient tomb traditionally associated with Jesus' midwife is being excavated anew by archaeologists in the hills southwest of Jerusalem, Israel's antiquities authority said Tuesday. The intricately decorated Jewish burial cave complex dates to around the first century AD, but it was later associated by local Christians with Salome,...
Amid Rush Hour in
Jerusalem, 2 Giant Blasts
Nov 23, 2022 8:49 AM CST
Amid Rush Hour in Jerusalem, 2 Giant Blasts
Teen killed, 18 hurt after bomb attacks at 2 Israeli bus stations
- Two blasts went off near bus stops in Jerusalem at the height of morning rush hour on Wednesday, killing a Canadian-Israeli teenager and injuring at least 18, in what police said were suspected attacks by Palestinians. The first explosion occurred near a typically crowded bus stop on the edge of...
in Oldest Alphabet
Names a Modern Scourge
Nov 9, 2022 11:49 AM CST
Oldest Sentence in Oldest Alphabet Names a Modern Scourge
The wealthiest ancients had a problem with head lice, too
- The purpose of the ancient double-edged ivory comb unearthed in Israel is made clear by its inscription: "May this tusk root out the lice of the hair and the beard." In the eyes of researchers, that seemingly ordinary sentence hinting at the scourge of head lice is anything...
Nov 4, 2022 11:19 AM CDT
She Was Anne Frank's Best Friend
Hannah Pick-Goslar, who was cared for by Otto Frank after the Holocaust, dies at 93
- Hannah Pick-Goslar had a lot in common with her childhood best friend Anne Frank. Both were German-born Jewish children whose families fled to the Netherlands after Adolf Hitler came to power. "From the first day of kindergarten they were inseparable," the
reports, though of course they...
Netanyahu Says He'd
Consider Arming Ukraine
Oct 21, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Netanyahu Says He'd Consider Arming Ukraine
Former Israeli prime minister could be returned to office next month
- Concerned about its relationship with Russia, Israel has been reluctant to become deeply involved in helping Ukraine fight off the invasion. That could change if Benjamin Netanyahu is restored to power in upcoming elections, the former prime minister told
. He noted that the current government has received criticism...
Israel: 'High Possibility'
Soldier Killed Journalist
Sep 5, 2022 10:16 AM CDT
Israel: 'High Possibility' Soldier Killed Journalist
But nobody will be punished in death of Al Jazeera's Shireen Abu Akleh
- The Israeli army said Monday there was a "high possibility" that a soldier killed a well-known Al Jazeera journalist in May, as it announced the results of its investigation into the killing. But it said the shooting was accidental and no one would be punished. Shireen Abu Akleh was...
Germany Finally Reaches
Deal With Families of
Olympic Massacre Victims
Aug 31, 2022 6:10 PM CDT
Germany Finally Reaches Deal With Families of Olympic Massacre Victims
11 Israelis were killed in 1972 Munich attack
- Some 50 years after 11 Olympic athletes from Israel were killed in what became known as the Munich massacre, the German government has reached a deal with their families. Israeli President Isaac Herzog and German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier announced the agreement Wednesday, days ahead of a commemoration of the Sept....
Biologist's Curiosity About
Elephants Leads to Big Find
Aug 31, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
Biologist's Curiosity About Elephants Leads to Big Find
Israeli archaeologists dig up 'largest complete fossil tusk found at prehistoric site in Israel'
- Israeli archaeologists recently unearthed the titanic tusk of a prehistoric elephant near a kibbutz in southern Israel, a remnant of a behemoth once hunted by early people around half a million years ago. The Israel Antiquities Authority announced Wednesday that the 8-foot-long fossil belonging to the long-extinct straight-tusked elephant was...
Judge Rules Against
Ben & Jerry's West Bank Pullout
Aug 23, 2022 2:42 PM CDT
Judge Rules Against Ben & Jerry's West Bank Pullout
Federal judge says company's products can still be sold in occupied territories
- A federal judge on Monday rejected a request by Ben & Jerry’s to block a plan by its corporate parent to allow its products to be sold in east Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank against the wishes of the Vermont ice cream maker's independent board of directors....
Aug 23, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
In Israel, Dig Reveals an Ancient Estate
Site in town of Rahat dates back to 8th or 9th century
- Archaeologists unearthed a lavish 1,200-year-old estate in Israel's southern desert that offers a unique glimpse of life for wealthy residents of the Negev region, the country's antiquities authority said Tuesday. The discovery in the Bedouin town of Rahat dates to the early Islamic period in the eighth...
in Jerusalem Shooting
Aug 14, 2022 6:35 AM CDT
Americans Wounded in Jerusalem Shooting
Palestinian gunman injured 8 people in all
- A Palestinian gunman opened fire at a bus near Jerusalem’s Old City early Sunday, wounding eight in an attack that came a week after violence flared up between Israel and militants in Gaza, police and medics said. The US Ambassador to Israel, Tom Nides, tweeted that American citizens were...
Palestinian Hunger Striker
Has Refused Food for 160 Days
Aug 9, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Palestinian Hunger Striker Has Refused Food for 160 Days
Egypt is seeking release of Khalil Awawdeh as part of Gaza ceasefire deal
- A Palestinian hunger striker who his family says has refused food for the past 160 days and is wasting away in an Israeli jailhouse infirmary has suddenly been thrust into the center of efforts to firm up a Gaza ceasefire. Khalil Awawdeh is in the spotlight because the Islamic Jihad...
After Days of
Violence in Gaza
Aug 8, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Ceasefire Between Israel, Palestinians After Days of Violence in Gaza
After 3 days of the worst fighting since last year
- A ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants took effect late Sunday in a bid to end nearly three days of violence that killed dozens of Palestinians and disrupted the lives of hundreds of thousands of Israelis, the AP reports. The flare-up was the worst fighting between Israel and Gaza militant...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
US Just Made a Move to Counter China
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.