Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Feds Battle a Planned
Aug 30, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
The Feds Battle a Planned Titanic Expedition—Again
RMS Titanic Inc. and US government engaged in a nearly identical battle in 2020
- The US government is trying to stop a planned expedition to recover items of historical interest from the sunken Titanic. The expedition, tentatively planned for May 2024, is being organized by RMS Titanic Inc., the Georgia-based firm that owns the salvage rights to the world's most famous shipwreck. The...
Operations After Tragedy
Jul 6, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
OceanGate Suspends Operations After Tragedy
Company says all submersible trips are off, at least for the near term
- Has OceanGate sent its last submersible to the deep? The company behind last month's tragic Titanic excursion has suspended operations, reports NBC News . Details of exactly what that means were not immediately clear: The entirety of the company's announcement on its website reads, "OceanGate has suspended all...
Subway's Riff on Titanic Sub
Does Not Go Over Well
Jul 4, 2023 7:44 AM CDT
Subway's Riff on Titanic Sub Does Not Go Over Well
'Our subs don't implode' sign at Georgia franchise is quickly taken down
- A Georgia Subway's attempted riff on the Titan submersible disaster resulted in a very easily foreseeable brouhaha of the public relations variety. As WTOC reports, it seems that someone at the restaurant in Rincon thought it was a good idea to update its roadside sign with this little missive:...
Critics Slam Netflix for
Jun 29, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Critics Slam Netflix for Bringing Back
Insiders say it's a coincidence, not an attempt to profit from Titan tragedy
- When Netflix arranged for
to return to the streaming service on July 1, the company probably wasn't expecting people to complain that it was too soon. The company is facing backlash accusing it of trying to profit from the Titan submersible tragedy, with Twitter users calling the move...
Coast Guard Believes
It's Found Human Remains
Jun 28, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Coast Guard Believes It's Found Human Remains
Wreckage from submersible Titan was found on seabed
This file has been updated with the Coast Guard's latest announcement.
Wreckage from the Titan submersible was pulled from the depths of the North Atlantic on Wednesday, and the Coast Guard later said the recovered parts apparently contained human remains. The Titan was carrying five people when it imploded...
Mom of Teen on Sub Says He'd
Planned on Breaking a Record
Jun 26, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Mom of Teen on Sub Says He'd Planned on Breaking a Record
Christine Dawood says Suleman Dawood, 19, was going to solve Rubik's Cube deep under the surface
- Christine and Alina Dawood, the wife and daughter of Pakistani billionaire Shahzada Dawood, who died on the Titan submersible along with his 19-year-old son, Suleman, weren't far from their loved ones when they perished last week in the vessel's "catastrophic implosion." The grieving mom tells the...
Coast Guard Lays Out
Next Phase at Titanic Site
Jun 25, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Coast Guard Lays Out Next Phase at Titanic Site
Navy calls off planned use of salvage system
- The Coast Guard said Sunday it is leading an investigation into the loss of the Titan submersible that was carrying five people to the Titanic, to determine what caused it to implode. Capt. Jason Neubauer, chief investigator, said that the salvage operations are ongoing and that the accident site has...
on Sub: 'I Wish
I'd Spoken Up'
Jun 24, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
James Cameron on Sub: 'I Wish I'd Spoken Up'
Director details flaws he saw in Titan's construction, slams OceanGate's lack of third-party certification
- James Cameron says he knew "in my bones" that the Titan submersible was gone as soon as he heard it was missing. Now, the
director and deep-sea explorer is expressing regret at not speaking up more on his concerns about the OceanGate vessel, which he says "shouldn'...
As Families Mourn, Sub
Investigations Are Underway
Jun 23, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
As Families Mourn, Sub Investigations Are Underway
Aunt says teen was 'terrified' before trip
- As friends and relatives mourn the five people who died in the Titan submersible, more questions are being raised about safety, with one expert calling the tragedy "clearly preventable." William Kohnen, chairman of the Manned Underwater Vehicles Committee, tells the BBC that the industry hasn't seen any...
As Soon as I Heard
About Missing Sub,
I Knew 'in My Bones'
Jun 23, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
James Cameron: As Soon as I Heard About Missing Sub, I Knew 'in My Bones'
He got info from fellow deep-sea enthusiasts, figured what must have happened
- One person who was not surprised by Thursday's devastating news about the fate of the doomed Titanic submersible:
director and deep-submergence enthusiast James Cameron. In interviews with the BBC and CNN , Cameron, who himself has been on 33 dives to the wreckage of the Titanic, says as soon...
Navy Suspects It Heard
Jun 22, 2023 7:25 PM CDT
Navy Suspects It Heard Submersible's Implosion
Sound was detected Sunday hours into the Titan's voyage
- Shortly after communication with the Titan was lost on Sunday, the US Navy began listening for the submersible. Hours into the sub's trip to the Titanic wreckage, the military's acoustic detection system heard what officials suspect was the craft's fatal implosion,
the Wall Street Journal
Doomed Titanic Sub
Jun 22, 2023 2:34 PM CDT
'Catastrophic Implosion' Doomed Titanic Sub
Debris is recovered on the ocean floor near the Titanic
- Those hoping for the safe return of the five people lost in a submersible in the North Atlantic rooted for a miracle on Thursday. It did not come. First, the US Coast Guard announced the discovery of a debris field on the ocean floor near the Titanic. Then OceanGate, the...
Missing Sub Pilot's Wife
Has Eerie Tie to Titanic
Jun 22, 2023 11:57 AM CDT
Missing Sub Pilot's Wife Has Eerie Tie to Titanic
Wendy Rush descended from Isidor and Ida Straus, of famed 'tragic love story' on doomed ship
- If the worst-case scenario about the missing submersible in the Atlantic unfolds, Wendy Rush would have the unfortunate fate of losing three family members in the vicinity of what's now the wreck of the Titanic. According to the
New York Times
, the wife of OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush is...
With Titan's Time Running Out,
More Equipment Arrives
Jun 22, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
With Titan's Time Running Out, More Equipment Arrives
Experts say there could still be hope as critical deadline arrives
- More ships have joined the search for the missing Titan submersible but the outlook for the five people on board is bleak: The vessel had an estimated 96-hour supply of air when it began its dive to the wreckage of the Titanic on Sunday morning, meaning the supply could run...
Coast Guard 'Optimistic'
in Hunt for Missing Sub
Jun 21, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Coast Guard 'Optimistic' in Hunt for Missing Sub
Search is focusing on area where Canadian aircraft detected sounds
- The Coast Guard says a unified command team is working "tirelessly" to find the missing submersible Titan in a search of a vast area of the North Atlantic. At a briefing Wednesday afternoon, Coast Guard Capt. Jamie Frederick said Canadian planes detected underwater noises on Tuesday and again on...
Resurfaced Report Highlights
Jun 21, 2023 7:56 AM CDT
Resurfaced Report Highlights Sub's 'Jerry-Rigged-Ness'
It's steered with a video game controller, for one thing
CBS Sunday Morning
segment on OceanGate's Titanic-touring submersible, originally aired in November, has now gone viral as it highlights the "MacGyvery jerry-rigged-ness" of the vanished vessel. Reporter David Pogue went inside the sub, where OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush—among five people now locked inside the missing capsule—...
Why the Search for the
Titanic Sub Is So Complex
Jun 21, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Why the Search for the Titanic Sub Is So Complex
In a nutshell, there are 'very few assets in the world that can go down that deep'
- A big issue in the search for the submersible that went missing during an expedition to the Titanic wreck is just how deep that wreckage sits. It's around 13,000 feet below sea level, and a retired Navy captain with three decades of experience including salvage operations tells CNN...
'Tapping Sounds' Detected
in Search for Titanic Sub
Jun 21, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
'Tapping Sounds' Detected in Search for Titanic Sub
It's not at all clear, however, what that might mean
- "Banging sounds" were detected "every 30 minutes" in the area that a Canadian aircraft was searching for the missing Titanic submersible, according to internal email updates sent to the Department of Homeland Security and obtained by
. The aircraft involved "has underwater detection capabilities from the...
Warned of Potentially
Jun 20, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
OceanGate Was Warned of Potentially 'Catastrophic' Problems
Former OceanGate employee said he was fired in 2018 after voicing concerns
- As search and rescue teams raced against time Tuesday to find the missing Titan submersible, news emerged on the long history of concerns about OceanGate Expeditions' experimental vessel. In 2018, leaders of a submersible craft trade group wrote to OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush—who is one of the five people...
Titanic Sub Searchers:
Breathable Air Dwindling Fast
Jun 20, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Titanic Sub Searchers: Breathable Air Dwindling Fast
Experts say search and rescue mission is uniquely challenging
- If the five people on board the missing Titan submersible are still alive, they have around 40 hours of breathable air left, Coast Guard officials said Tuesday afternoon. US Coast Guard Capt. Jamie Frederick made the estimate at a news conference at 1pm Eastern, saying searches of an area larger...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.