Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Warned of Potentially
Jun 20, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
OceanGate Was Warned of Potentially 'Catastrophic' Problems
Former OceanGate employee said he was fired in 2018 after voicing concerns
- As search and rescue teams raced against time Tuesday to find the missing Titan submersible, news emerged on the long history of concerns about OceanGate Expeditions' experimental vessel. In 2018, leaders of a submersible craft trade group wrote to OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush—who is one of the five people...
Titanic Sub Searchers:
Breathable Air Dwindling Fast
Jun 20, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Titanic Sub Searchers: Breathable Air Dwindling Fast
Experts say search and rescue mission is uniquely challenging
- If the five people on board the missing Titan submersible are still alive, they have around 40 hours of breathable air left, Coast Guard officials said Tuesday afternoon. US Coast Guard Capt. Jamie Frederick made the estimate at a news conference at 1pm Eastern, saying searches of an area larger...
'It's Get to the Surface or Die'
Jun 20, 2023 6:45 AM CDT
'It's Get to the Surface or Die'
Rescue efforts continue to find missing Titanic submersible, as details emerge on passengers
- As the search continues off the coast of Newfoundland for the Titanic-bound submersible that went missing over the weekend, more details have emerged about the five passengers on board. Action Aviation CEO Hamish Harding, a billionaire and British adventurer, is one of the five , as are French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet...
Billionaire Adventurer Is Among
Those on Missing Titanic Sub
Jun 20, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Billionaire Adventurer Is Among Those on Missing Titanic Sub
Hamish Harding had posted about weather difficulties
- Billionaire British adventurer Hamish Harding is among the five people aboard the submersible that went missing during a dive to the wreckage of the Titanic on Sunday. The 58-year-old chairman of private jet dealer Action Aviation is also a "renowned explorer," the BBC reports. Last year, he flew...
Titanic Sub Operator
Is 'Mobilizing All Options'
Jun 19, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Titanic Sub Operator Is 'Mobilizing All Options'
OceanGate says it is rushing a remotely operated vehicle to the site
- The operator of the submersible that went missing on a dive to the wreckage of the Titanic says it is "exploring and mobilizing all options to bring the crew back safely." In a statement, OceanGate Expeditions said its "entire focus is on the crew members in the...
Sub Used to Take Tourists
to Titanic Goes Missing
Jun 19, 2023 11:32 AM CDT
Sub Used to Take Tourists to Titanic Goes Missing
No word on how many passengers, if any, were aboard
- A search and rescue mission is underway in the Atlantic Ocean after a submersible used to explore the wreck of the Titanic was reported missing. CBS News confirmed by way of the US Coast Guard in Boston that the operation is currently happening off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. It'...
First-Ever Full 3D Scan of
Titanic Reveals New Details
May 19, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
First-Ever Full 3D Scan of Titanic Reveals New Details
Researchers mapped the shipwreck with remote-controlled submersibles
- Deep-sea researchers have completed the first full-size digital scan of the Titanic, showing the entire wreck in unprecedented detail and clarity, the companies behind a new documentary on the wreck said Thursday. The AP reports that using two remotely operated submersibles, a team of researchers spent six weeks last summer...
Unseen 1986 Footage From
Titanic Mission Is Released
Feb 16, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Unseen 1986 Footage From Titanic Mission Is Released
The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution posted the 80-minute video
- The sheer size of the vessel and the shoes were what struck Robert Ballard when he descended to the wreckage of the RMS Titanic in 1986, the year after he and his crew from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution helped find the ocean liner that struck an iceberg and sank...
OK, 'Jack Might Have Lived'
Feb 3, 2023 9:26 AM CST
James Cameron: OK, 'Jack Might Have Lived'
New experiment about 'Titanic' scene suggests so, but director cites a 'lot of variables'
- Director James Cameron has conceded for the first time something that
fans have argued for 25 years: "Jack might have lived." But probably not the way most people think. As
explains, Cameron worked with
on a new special to explore the question. Lots of...
James Cameron to
'Once and for All'
Dec 20, 2022 8:39 AM CST
James Cameron to Settle
Debate 'Once and for All'
Director teases analysis showing both Jack and Rose could not have survived on floating door
- James Cameron may be promoting his new
sequel but he's still fielding questions about the ending of his 25-year-old blockbuster
—questions he hopes to answer "once and for all" with an upcoming special. Asked recently whether he ever regretted letting Leonardo DiCaprio's Jack die, the...
Possible 'Stepping Stone'
Near Titanic Could
Clear Up a Mystery
Nov 8, 2022 2:02 PM CST
Possible 'Stepping Stone' Near Titanic Could Clear Up a Mystery
Rocky reef teeming with life may hold answers on how sponges, corals move across ocean floor
- When submersible pilot and diver PH Nargeolet detected a sonar blip near the famous Titanic shipwreck in the North Atlantic more than a quarter century ago, he suspected it pointed to another shipwreck lying in wait. The thing just looked so big. But he was wrong. "It turned out,...
Wreck of Ship That Tried
to Warn the Titanic Is Found
Sep 29, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
Wreck of Ship That Tried to Warn the Titanic Is Found
SS Mesaba was hit by a German torpedo in the Irish Sea years later
- The Titanic has long slumbered on the seabed—as has the ship that sent the Titanic an iceberg warning hours before the Titanic fatefully hit that very thing in 1912. Now, researchers have identified the resting spot of the SS Mesaba, which was hit by a German torpedo in the...
Look at Titanic
Sep 6, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Footage Offers 'Unprecedented' Look at Titanic
First 8K video of shipwreck emerges; meanwhile, tourists are heading down to see it for $250K a pop
- An underwater tourism company has emerged with new footage of the wreckage of the RMS Titanic, and it's jaw-dropping in its clarity—the highest-quality recording of the ship since it sank during its 1912 maiden voyage. The haunting one-minute clip released to the public by OceanGate Expeditions, which has...
The Iceberg That Sank the
Titanic Was Oddly Persistent
Aug 27, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
The Iceberg That Sank the Titanic Was Oddly Persistent
It lasted far longer than most icebergs survive
- It could be argued that the Titanic was the most incredible ship to ever sink. The same adjective could be applied to the iceberg that sank it. Writing for
, Daniel Stone dives into what was unusual about this particular iceberg, which cleaved itself from Greenland in 1909. "This...
He Lived Out
What Came Next Wasn't Easier
Apr 18, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
He Lived Out
Scene. What Came Next Wasn't Easier
Documentary tells of discrimination against Chinese survivors including Fang Lang
- You'll recall that famous scene in
when Leonardo DiCaprio's Jack, clinging to a wooden door in the frigid ocean, lets go. His companion, Kate Winslet's Rose, eventually gets the attention of rescuers in the lone lifeboat that had returned to the scene to search for survivors....
Feds Sued Over Titanic Plan.
It's COVID That Could Stop It
Jan 13, 2021 8:53 AM CST
Feds Sued Over Titanic Plan. It's COVID That Could Stop It
RMS Titanic Inc. planned to retrieve the ship's radio, says it has money issues
- Fallout from the coronavirus pandemic is threatening a company’s controversial plans to retrieve and exhibit the radio that had broadcast distress calls from the sinking Titanic, according to a court filing made by the firm. RMS Titanic Inc. said Monday that its revenues plummeted after coronavirus restrictions closed its...
$125K Will Now
Get You to the Titanic
Nov 6, 2020 9:45 AM CST
$125K Will Now Get You to the Titanic
Expeditions open to tourists to launch in May
- A few dozen wealthy and adventurous tourists will be among the first in 15 years to set eyes on the world's most famous shipwreck. OceanGate Expeditions will be ferrying tourists to the wreck of the Titanic annually between May and September beginning next year—at a cost. For $125,...
Light May Have
Sep 26, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
A 'Greenish' Light May Have Sunk the
Weather researcher Mila Zinkova points to 'dancing lights' in the sky
- The RMS
sank after hitting an iceberg in 1912, claiming over 1,500 lives—that we know. But what if the ill-fated collision was caused by dancing lights in the sky? So argues
researcher Mila Zinkova in a new paper , the Smithsonian reports. "Most people who write...
US Sues Over Titanic's Radio
Jun 10, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
US Sues Over Titanic's Radio
Feds file lawsuit to block salvage operation
- The US government will try to stop a company's planned salvage mission to retrieve the Titanic's Marconi wireless telegraph machine, arguing the expedition would break federal law and a pact with Britain to leave the iconic shipwreck undisturbed. US attorneys filed a legal challenge before a federal judge...
Contentious Ruling: Item
Can Be Taken From Titanic
May 19, 2020 12:34 PM CDT
Contentious Ruling: Item Can Be Taken From Titanic
RMS Titanic Inc. get approval to remove the ship's telegraph
- A federal judge in Virginia has ruled that a salvage firm can retrieve the Marconi wireless telegraph machine that broadcast distress calls from the sinking Titanic ocean liner. In an order released Monday, US District Judge Rebecca Beach Smith agreed that the telegraph is historically and culturally important and could...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.