Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
PJ O'Rourke Dies
Feb 15, 2022 5:23 PM CST
Irreverent Author PJ O'Rourke Dies
Conservative satirist was 74
- PJ O'Rourke, the prolific author and satirist who re-fashioned the irreverence and “Gonzo” journalism of the 1960s counterculture into a distinctive brand of conservative and libertarian commentary, has died at age 74. O'Rourke died Tuesday morning, according to Grove Atlantic Inc. Books publisher and president Morgan Entrekin....
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made
Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2022 6:30 AM CST
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
Now there's a waiting list for Dillon Helbig's graphic novel in Boise, Idaho
- Who needs a literary agent? Not this 8-year-old author from Boise, Idaho, who just self-published and promoted his comic book in a most unique way. Turns out Dillon Helbig snuck a copy of his DIY comic,
The Adventures of Dillon Helbig's Crismis
—by "Dillon His Self"—onto...
'The World Is a Lesser Place
Today Because She Is Gone'
Dec 15, 2021 1:59 PM CST
'The World Is a Lesser Place Today Because She Is Gone'
Author bell hooks has died at the age of 69
- bell hooks, the groundbreaking author, educator, and activist whose explorations of how race, gender, economics, and politics were intertwined made her among the most influential thinkers of her time, has died. She was 69. In a statement issued through William Morrow Publishers, hooks' family announced that she died Wednesday in...
He Taught a
Life in the Wild
Oct 14, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
He Taught a Generation About Life in the Wild
'Hatchet' author Gary Paulsen dies at 82
- Gary Paulsen, the beloved author of more than 200 books about adventure and survival in the wilderness, died Wednesday, according to
. He was 82. It's sad news not only for those who knew the three-time Newbery Honor author—including his wife, the artist and author Ruth Wright...
Only Known Recording of
JD Salinger Will Be Burned
Jul 29, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Only Known Recording of JD Salinger Will Be Burned
Woman who secretly made it plans to be cremated with tape
- Only one recording of JD Salinger is known to exist, but its days are numbered. In an interview with Bloomberg , the woman who made the secret tape more than four decades ago says she plans to have it cremated with her when she dies. Bette Eppes, then a 40-year-old reporter...
Just Got Weird
Jul 9, 2021 10:31 AM CDT
Remember 'Cat Person'? The Backstory Just Got Weird
Alexis Nowicki says Kristen Roupenian based short story on her
- More than three years ago, at the peak of the #MeToo movement, a short story in the
went viral, earning Kristen Roupenian a book contract and movie deal . This week, however, a swerve: In an essay for Slate , Alexis Nowicki says the main female character in Roupenian's...
Drunk Driver Killed
Her Father, Sister
Jul 9, 2021 3:20 AM CDT
Author Says Drunk Driver Killed Her Father, Sister
'I have lost my father, and I don't have my sister with whom to grieve,' Julia Quinn says
- "I have lost my father, and I don't have my sister with whom to grieve,"
author Julia Quinn said in a Facebook post Wednesday night. She said father Steve Cotler, 77, and sister Ariana Cotler, 37, were killed in a crash involving a drunk driver in...
Restored Novel by Late Author
a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
May 13, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Restored Novel by Late Author a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
Richard Wright's 'The Man Who Lived Underground' is already a bestseller
- More than 60 years after his death, Richard Wright is again a bestselling author, and very much in line with the present.
The Man Who Lived Underground
, a short novel written in the 1940s and never published in full until this spring, is the surreal but credible story of Fred...
See New Light of Day
May 5, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Stacey Abrams Romance Novels See New Light of Day
Woman of varied talents has new thriller coming out, to be followed by romance reissues
- Plenty of people know Stacey Abrams, the political organizer, voting rights activist, and former Georgia gubernatorial candidate. Soon, many more will get to know Abrams, the romance novelist . Penguin Random House imprint Berkley has obtained the rights to the first three romance novels Abrams wrote more than 20 years ago...
Meghan Markle Is Soon
to Be a Published Author
May 4, 2021 1:06 PM CDT
Meghan Markle Is Soon to Be a Published Author
Duchess' first children's book, inspired by her family, is due out June 8
- Meghan Markle can add a new job title to her resume: that of children's author. The Duchess of Sussex will release her first children's book,
, on June 8, reports the
. The illustrated story about a "special bond between father and son” told from the...
Author Michael Lewis Finds
Heroes, Villains in Pandemic
May 4, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Author Michael Lewis Finds Heroes, Villains in Pandemic
His book 'The Premonition,' amounts to an indictment of the CDC's response
- Those familiar with the books of Michael Lewis (
Moneyball, The Big Short, The Blind Side
, etc.) know that he loves finding a hero "who gives a defiant middle finger to the conventional wisdom," writes Jennifer Szalai in the
New York Times
. His latest book,
True-Crime Case Has Nearly
Destroyed Best-Selling Author
Mar 27, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
True-Crime Case Has Nearly Destroyed Best-Selling Author
'Water for Elephants' writer Sara Gruen became obsessed with proving a man's innocence
- Sara Gruen became a best-selling author in 2006 with her novel
Water for Elephants
, which was later turned into a movie. Gruen has received tons of fan mail over the years, including a 2015 letter from convicted murderer Charles Murdoch, who is imprisoned in California. The letter struck a chord...
She Began as a Librarian. Then
She Gave the World 'Ramona'
Mar 27, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
She Began as a Librarian. Then She Gave the World 'Ramona'
Children's author Beverly Cleary dies at 104
- Beverly Cleary, the celebrated children's author whose memories of her Oregon childhood were shared with millions through the likes of Ramona and Beezus Quimby and Henry Huggins, has died. She was 104. Cleary's publisher HarperCollins announced Friday that the author died Thursday in Carmel Valley, Calif., where she'...
Dead at 84
Mar 26, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Writer Who Captured the 'American Experience' Dead at 84
Larry McMurtry won Pulitzer for 'Lonesome Dove,' Oscar for 'Brokeback Mountain' screenplay
- He was a novelist, screenwriter, and nonfiction author, known for several books that ended up adapted for the big screen. Larry McMurtry, described by the
Los Angeles Times
as "one of the most acclaimed writers of the American experience," died at the age of 84 on Thursday at...
Vow of Celibacy
Mar 12, 2021 1:09 PM CST
Author Explains Her Vow of Celibacy
Paula McClain discusses sex abuse as a child
- When Paula McClain came out of a two-year relationship in 2019, she heard familiar voices "telling me that all I needed to do was try again with the next one, the right one." Instead,
The Paris Wife
author opted for celibacy. After "two failed marriages" and "...
Author of Children's Classic
Mar 9, 2021 1:31 PM CST
Author of Children's Classic
Norton Juster was 91
- Norton Juster, the celebrated children's author who fashioned a world of his own in the classic
The Phantom Tollbooth
and went on to write such favorites as
The Dot and the Line
, has died at 91. Juster's death at his Massachusetts home was confirmed Tuesday...
For Hillary Clinton,
Next Gig Is a
'Dream Come True'
Feb 23, 2021 9:40 AM CST
For Hillary Clinton, Next Gig Is a 'Dream Come True'
Former secretary of state is co-authoring 'State of Terror,' a political thriller, with Louise Penny
- First lady, senator, secretary of state, presidential nominee, and now, author of an "international political thriller." That's the latest addition to Hillary Clinton's CV, per Axios , which reports that Clinton is partnering with writer Louise Penny, a longtime pal, to pen
State of Terror
, due out...
Eric Jerome Dickey Dead at 59
Jan 6, 2021 9:05 AM CST
Bestselling Novelist Eric Jerome Dickey Dead at 59
He died from cancer on Sunday
- Eric Jerome Dickey, the bestselling novelist who blended crime, romance, and eroticism in
Waking With Enemies
; and dozens of other stories about contemporary Black life, has died at age 59. Dickey's publicist at Penguin Random House told the AP that the author died of cancer Sunday in...
Author Whose Novel Became
1994 Blockbuster Film Has Died
Sep 18, 2020 3:42 AM CDT
Author Whose Novel Became 1994 Blockbuster Film Has Died
'Forrest Gump' author Winston Groom was 77
- Winston Groom, the writer whose novel
was made into a six-Oscar winning 1994 movie that became a soaring pop cultural phenomenon, has died at age 77. Fairhope Mayor Karin Wilson said in a message on social media that Groom had died in the south Alabama town, the AP...
Nabs 7-Figure Deal
Sep 3, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
21-Year-Old Author Nabs 7-Figure Deal
Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé to release 2 young adult books, one with Black protagonists
- A 21-year-old author has agreed to a seven-figure deal for a pair of young adult novels, per the AP . Feiwel and Friends, an imprint of Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, announced Thursday that it would publish Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé's highly anticipated debut, the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.