Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Author AS Byatt Dies
Nov 17, 2023 12:09 PM CST
Booker Prize-Winning Author AS Byatt Dies
UK writer, 87, wrote 'Possession,' which was made into a movie starring Gwyneth Paltrow
- Author AS Byatt, whose books include the Booker Prize-winning novel
, has died at the age of 87. Byatt's publisher, Chatto & Windus, said Friday that the author died "peacefully at home surrounded by close family." Byatt wrote two dozen books, starting with her first novel,
Rushdie Makes Surprise
Appearance to Collect Award
Nov 15, 2023 10:10 AM CST
Rushdie Makes Surprise Appearance to Collect Award
Honor was kept under wraps until minutes before the author accepted it
- The latest honor for Salman Rushdie was a prize kept secret until minutes before he rose from his seat to accept it. On Tuesday night, the author received the first-ever Lifetime Disturbing the Peace Award, presented by the Vaclav Havel Center on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Only a handful...
Winner of Nobel Lit Prize: I've
'Cautiously' Prepped for This
Oct 5, 2023 7:04 AM CDT
Winner of Nobel Lit Prize: I've 'Cautiously' Prepped for This
Norwegian author Jon Fosse's works 'give voice to the unsayable'
- Jon Fosse, a master of spare Nordic writing in a sprawling body of work ranging from plays to novels and children's books, won the Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday for works that "give voice to the unsayable." Anders Olsson, chair of the Nobel Committee for Literature,...
Letter: 'I Am More
Valuable to Them
Alive Than Dead'
Sep 5, 2023 6:29 AM CDT
Hemingway Letter: 'I Am More Valuable to Them Alive Than Dead'
Author's note to his lawyer after 2 plane crashes talks about injuries, beef with Abercrombie & Fitch
- A letter that author Ernest Hemingway wrote to his attorney soon after he'd endured back-to-back plane crashes just sold for big bucks on the auction block. NPR reports the that four-page note, scrawled on stationery from a hotel in Venice, Italy, went for $237,055 via Nate D. Sanders...
Before He Wrote
, He Fled Homeland
Jul 12, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Before He Wrote
, He Fled Homeland
Czech dissident and author Milan Kundera, who became a thorn in Communists' side, dies at 94
- Milan Kundera, the Czech author who was cast out of the Communist Party and became best known for penning
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
, has died. The 94-year-old passed away Tuesday in Paris "after a long illness," a spokeswoman for the Czech library that kept Kundera's personal...
From Garcia Marquez, a 'Final
Effort to Continue Creating'
May 8, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
From Garcia Marquez, a 'Final Effort to Continue Creating'
New novel from late author, based on unfinished manuscript, is coming our way in 2024
- Nobel Prize-winning author Gabriel Jose de la Concordia Garcia Marquez, better known as Gabriel Garcia Marquez, died in 2014. A 150-page, unfinished novel he left behind will be published next year, a decade after his death following a bout with pneumonia at 87, reports NPR . Per the
, the novel...
Here's What Just Made
Judy Blume Curse on Twitter
Apr 17, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Here's What Just Made Judy Blume Curse on Twitter
After remarks on JK Rowling, author says it's 'total bull----' she doesn't stand with the trans community
- Judy Blume may be 85 years old, but she's not shy about throwing down on Twitter if she needs to. The Independent reports that the popular children's author—who has penned such classics as
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
—is responding to...
Crichton's Books Written as
'John Lange' See New Life
Feb 22, 2023 11:40 AM CST
Crichton's Books Written as 'John Lange' See New Life
Blackstone acquires rights to 8 early novels in 7-figure deal, will publish new editions
- The early writings of Michael Crichton look destined for the big screen following a seven-figure deal announced Tuesday. The late
author's estate sold the worldwide print, e-book, and audiobook rights to Crichton's first eight novels—unconnected pieces of fiction across various genres, written under the pseudonym...
Book Becomes Bestseller
After Author's Daughter
Posts TikTok Video
Feb 13, 2023 1:38 PM CST
Book Becomes Bestseller After Author's Daughter Posts TikTok Video
She said her dad worked on 'Stone Maidens' for 14 years and she'd 'love to see some sales'
- Vermont man Lloyd Devereux Richards has become a bestselling author 25 years after he started working on
a thriller about an FBI forensic anthropologist trying to track down a mysterious killer. The book hit No. 1 on Amazon's Serial Killer Thrillers list and cracked the overall top...
She Was Set to
Read to Kids,
Jan 19, 2023 8:11 AM CST
She Was Set to Read to Kids, Got Derailed by Pottymouth
Texas school district cancels appearance by author Emma Straub over f-bomb-filled tweet
- On Emma Straub's website , a write-up about her newly released children's book,
Very Good Hats
, notes that the "joyous and inventive read-aloud will inspire kids to see ordinary objects in a whole new way." Straub, the daughter of horror writer Peter Straub and author of such...
Author's Husband: We Faked
Her Death to Save Her Life
Jan 16, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Author's Husband: We Faked Her Death to Save Her Life
'New York Times' uncovers the strange tale of romance writer Susan Meachen
- Earlier this month, a strange story made headlines from the world of self-publishing romance novelists. Author Susan Meachen reemerged online two years after an online post written by her daughter suggested Meachen had committed suicide. Meachen's reentry into the public caused shock and outrage among fellow writers, some of...
In His Books'
Jan 9, 2023 6:10 AM CST
In His Books' Pages, the Working Class Came Alive
'Cloudsplitter,' 'Affliction' author Russell Banks is dead at 82
- Russell Banks, an award-winning fiction writer who rooted such novels as
The Sweet Hereafter
in the wintry, rural communities of his native Northeast and imagined the dreams and downfalls of everyone from modern blue-collar workers to the radical abolitionist John Brown in
, has died. He was 82....
Author Emerges Years
After Apparent Suicide.
It Doesn't Go Well
in case you missed it
Jan 8, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Author Emerges Years After Apparent Suicide. It Doesn't Go Well
'Let the fun begin,' Susan Meachen apparently wrote on Facebook, to fans' horror
- For more than two years, the Facebook page of self-published author Susan Meachen has served as something of a shrine, used to promote her romance novels and share posts about suicide prevention. In October 2020, a person claiming to be Meachen's daughter posted from Meachen's account, announcing the...
Emily St. John Mandel Ran
Into Odd Snag After Divorce
Dec 26, 2022 7:43 AM CST
Emily St. John Mandel Ran Into Odd Snag After Divorce
Wikipedia still said she was married, and she couldn't change it herself
- On the Wikipedia page for Emily St. John Mandel—the bestselling Canadian author of
Sea of Tranquility
The Glass Hotel
, the last of which was adapted into an HBO Max miniseries—it's noted under the "personal life" section that she separated from executive recruiter Kevin...
Literary Mansion Sells for
$3.8M, but Tenants Won't Go
Dec 25, 2022 2:35 PM CST
Literary Mansion Sells for $3.8M, but Tenants Won't Go
Evelyn Waugh lived at Piers Court for 19 years
- The author Evelyn Waugh wrote
in an eight-bedroom mansion he lived in for 19 years in the UK's Cotswolds region, and what's happening at the home now is entirely plot-worthy. Former BBC Worldwide/Sony Entertainment exec Jason Blain bought Piers Court in 2019 for £2.9m...
She Was Disappointed by
Turnout at Her Book Signing.
'Join the Club,' Authors Said
Dec 8, 2022 8:12 AM CST
She Was Disappointed by Turnout at Her Book Signing. 'Join the Club,' Authors Said
Margaret Atwood, Stephen King were among many who shared their experiences
- After the first official book signing for her debut novel was a bust, fantasy author Chelsea Banning shared her disappointment on Twitter—and was surprised when numerous best-selling writers, including Steven King and Margaret Atwood said, "Welcome to the club." The Saturday event at a bookstore in Ashtabula,...
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Sep 27, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Actor's first one comes out next year
- Tom Hanks' next big venture has no hope of winning him an Oscar—unless it's adapted into a film. The 66-year-old actor is writing his first novel, one that's due out in May 2023, reports
. The book is called
The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece,
Loss to Literature'
Sep 23, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Death of Hilary Mantel 'an Enormous Loss to Literature'
British writer who wrote historical fiction about Thomas Cromwell suffered a stroke
- Hilary Mantel, the Booker Prize-winning author of the acclaimed
saga, has died. She was 70. Mantel died "suddenly yet peacefully," surrounded by close family and friends, publisher HarperCollins said Friday, per the AP . Her longtime literary agent, Bill Hamilton, confirmed to the
New York Times
'The News Is
Aug 13, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
Author will likely lose an eye, suffered severed nerves in arm, damaged liver, says Andrew Wylie
- One day after he was stabbed while onstage at New York state's Chautauqua Institution to give a lecture, Salman Rushdie is hooked up to a ventilator and not able to talk, his agent says, per the BBC . "The news is not good," Andrew Wylie told the
Dies at 61
Aug 4, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
Author Melissa Bank Dies at 61
Creator of bestseller from 1999 had lung cancer
- Melissa Bank, whose 1999 bestseller
The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing
was a series of interconnected stories praised for its wit and precise language and embraced by young readers, has died at age 61. Viking Books announced that Bank died Tuesday in East Hampton, New York, per the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.