Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
5 Guilty in Notorious
Dresden Jewel Heist
May 16, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
5 Guilty in Notorious Dresden Jewel Heist
All 5, from Germany's Remmo organized crime clan, acted with 'considerable criminal energy'
- On Nov. 25, 2019, several men broke into Germany's Green Vault, inside Dresden's Royal Palace, and absconded with roughly $129 million in 18th-century jewels in what the BBC calls "a meticulously planned heist." On Tuesday, a German court convicted five men of said heist on charges...
Gunman Opens Fire
Factory, Killing 2
May 12, 2023 12:45 AM CDT
Gunman Opens Fire at Mercedes-Benz Factory, Killing 2
Victims, shooter were reportedly employed by external service provider
- A man opened fire at a Mercedes-Benz factory in southwestern Germany on Thursday, leaving two people dead, authorities and the company said. The shooting occurred in Sindelfingen, a city near Stuttgart, the AP reports. The suspect, a 53-year-old Turkish citizen, was taken into custody, the Stuttgart prosecutor's office said....
German Court Sides
With Naked Landlord
Apr 27, 2023 3:43 PM CDT
German Court Sides With Naked Landlord
Tenant wanted a reduction because of the view
- A German court has ruled that a landlord sunbathing naked in the courtyard of his building wasn't a reason for his tenants to reduce their rental payments. The case involved a building in an upmarket residential district of Frankfurt, which included an office floor, rented by a human resources...
Use an Odd Tactic
Apr 24, 2023 12:01 PM CDT
Climate Protesters Use an Odd Tactic
In Berlin, Last Generation members glue their hands to the roads to shut down traffic
- German climate activists temporarily brought traffic to a standstill in some parts of Berlin on Monday by gluing themselves to streets all over the capital. The group Last Generation has repeatedly blocked roads across Germany in the past year in an effort to pressure the government to take more drastic...
For These Firefighters,
It's Squirrel Deja Vu
Apr 11, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
For These Firefighters, It's Squirrel Deja Vu
Critter is freed from manhole cover in Dortmund, Germany, which has experience in this matter
- Firefighters say they have freed an “uncooperative” squirrel that was stuck in a manhole cover in western Germany—echoing a similar incident that happened in the same city four years ago. The Dortmund fire department said it was alerted to a distressed red squirrel by a pedestrian Monday afternoon,...
Mar 11, 2023 1:35 PM CST
Berlin: All Poolgoers Can Drop Their Swimsuit Tops
German capital says that women can go topless, just like the guys
- Hate those pesky swimsuit tan lines you get while sunbathing? If you're planning an upcoming vacation in Berlin, you won't have to worry about that, if you're not too modest. That's because authorities in the German capital announced Thursday that they support the concept of "...
Police Were Tipped Off
About Hamburg Shooter
Mar 10, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Police Were Tipped Off About Hamburg Shooter
Officers visited man's home in January, but didn't take his legally-owned weapon
- The man who attacked a Jehovah's Witnesses hall in Hamburg Thursday night killed four men, two women, and the unborn baby of a woman who was seven months pregnant and survived the shooting, police said Friday, per the AP . Police said they received an anonymous tip about the gunman...
Denounce Aid to Ukraine
Feb 25, 2023 2:15 PM CST
German Protesters Denounce Aid to Ukraine
Demonstrators call for peace talks, with a few waving Russian flags
- Thousands of people protested in Berlin on Saturday to condemn Germany's supply of arms to Ukraine and call for peace talks to end the war. The organizers were criticized before the protest for dismissing Ukraine's right to defend its territory from Russian aggression and failing to distance themselves...
He Smeared Dog Poop on
a Critic's Face, Is Out a Job
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 25, 2023 6:00 AM CST
He Smeared Dog Poop on a Critic's Face, Is Out a Job
Ballet director had extreme reaction after review says audience will be 'killed by boredom'
- A German ballet director has lost his job after doing what he terms "truly an awful thing": smearing his dog's feces on the face of a dance critic. Marco Goecke, 50, on Thursday lost his job with the Hanover State Opera, though the opera house will continue to...
Killed Lookalike She
Found on Instagram
Jan 31, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
Police say she was trying to fake her own death
- A woman trying to fake her own death found a lookalike on Instagram and murdered her, police say. Last August, a body found covered in blood in a Mercedes parked in southern Germany was identified by family as Sharaban K., a 23-year-old German-Iraqi beautician living in Munich. But questions about...
Ukraine Begged for Tanks.
It's Finally Getting Them
Jan 25, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Ukraine Begged for Tanks. It's Finally Getting Them
Germany says it will send its Leopard 2 heavy tanks; US expected to send its M1 Abrams tanks
- Earlier this month, NATO allies, including the US, agreed to send combat vehicles to Ukraine to assist it in its fight against Russia. Now, Western nations are taking things up a level, at Ukraine's request, promising to ship heavier weaponry, including tanks, to the war-torn country. On Wednesday, Germany...
US Extends Deployment
at the Edge of War
Jan 21, 2023 4:00 PM CST
US Extends Deployment at the Edge of War
Pressure increases on Germany to provide tanks to Ukraine
- About 4,000 US soldiers with the 101st Airborne Division will remain in southeast Romania for at least nine months longer, Pentagon officials said Saturday. The troops are stationed at Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base, across the Black Sea from Russian forces in Crimea, the
New York Times
Greta Thunberg Detained
at Mine Protest
Jan 17, 2023 12:58 PM CST
Greta Thunberg Detained at Mine Protest
Officers carry her away from German site
- Protests over a coal mine in western Germany only seem to be escalating. On Tuesday, police carried Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and other protesters away from the edge of the open coal pit mine, where they were demonstrating against the ongoing destruction of a village to make way for...
Jan 16, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Cops Confront Thunberg Over Coal Mine Controversy
Climate activist carried away by police after they say she wouldn't leave protest in Germany
- For at least two years, climate activists have converged upon the German village of Luetzerath to protest a planned razing of the town to make way for the expansion of a nearby coal mine. This weekend, perhaps the most famous climate activist of our time showed up in solidarity at...
Poland's Fight With Germany
Over Reparations Turns Nasty
Jan 5, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Poland's Fight With Germany Over Reparations Turns Nasty
'Disrespectful' Germany aims to 'treat Poland as a vassal state,' Polish minister claims
- Poland is appealing to the United Nations for help in securing $1.4 trillion in war reparations from Germany, which describes the issue of reparations over its World War II invasion and occupation of the country as closed. Germany's latest response to Poland's request— issued last year following...
Doctor Who Claimed
Face Masks Were
Harmful Gets Jail Time
Jan 3, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Doctor Who Claimed Face Masks Were Harmful Gets Jail Time
Physician in Germany hit with nearly 3-year prison sentence after issuing 4K-plus mask exemptions
- A German doctor has been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison for illegally issuing exemptions from wearing masks during the coronavirus pandemic for more than 4,000 people. Public broadcaster SWR reported that a regional court in the southwestern town of Weinheim convicted the doctor late Monday...
'It Was Wrong to
Take the Bronzes' and
'Keep Them for 120 Years'
Dec 21, 2022 11:50 AM CST
'It Was Wrong to Take the Bronzes' and 'Keep Them for 120 Years'
Germany returns 20 Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- The kingdom of Benin—whose earthen walls were said to be on par with those of the Great Wall of China—stood from the 11th century until 1897. That was the year the British invaded what's now southern Nigeria, burned it down, and made off with the Benin Bronzes:...
80 Years After
in Nazi Camp,
Dec 20, 2022 6:42 AM CST
80 Years After Teen Worked in Nazi Camp, a Conviction
Irmgard Furchner, 97, aka 'Secretary of Evil,' found guilty of being accessory to murder at Stutthof
- A German court on Tuesday convicted a 97-year-old woman of being an accessory to murder in over 10,000 cases for her role as a secretary to the SS commander of the Nazis' Stutthof concentration camp during World War II, the AP reports. Irmgard Furchner was accused of being part...
3 Years After Stunning Heist,
Big News From Authorities
Dec 17, 2022 9:00 AM CST
3 Years After Stunning Heist, Big News From Authorities
German officials say 'significant part' of treasures stolen from Green Vault museum have been found
- German authorities said Saturday that they've recovered a significant part of the 18th-century treasures stolen from Dresden's Green Vault museum in a spectacular break-in more than three years ago. Prosecutors and police said in a statement that they secured 31 items in Berlin overnight, including "several pieces...
'Chaos' as 82-Foot-Tall
1.5K Fish Explodes
Dec 16, 2022 6:38 AM CST
'Chaos' as 82-Foot-Tall Aquarium With 1.5K Fish Explodes
2 people injured by glass shards in Berlin; all fish presumed dead
- The world's largest freestanding cylindrical aquarium, which held 1,500 tropical fish and more than 264,000 gallons of water, burst Friday. Berlin's 82-foot-tall AquaDom, in the lobby of the Radisson Blu hotel, sent a huge rush of sea water and fish through the hotel and out into...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.