Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Break Out the Beer
Sep 16, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Break Out the Beer Steins, Lederhosen
Oktoberfest has kicked off in Munich
- The beer is flowing and millions of people are descending on the Bavarian capital to celebrate the official opening of Oktoberfest. With the traditional cry of "O'zapft is!" — "It's tapped!"— Mayor Dieter Reiter inserted the tap in the first keg at noon...
DNA Links Africa's
Sep 8, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
DNA Links Africa's Stolen Skulls With Living Descendants
Germany to return skulls tied to Chagga people of Tanzania, stolen under colonial rule
- Scientists have for the first time identified living descendants of people whose skulls were pillaged from Africa under German colonial rule. Since 2017, Berlin's Museum of Prehistory and Early History has been working to trace at least 1,100 of 7,700 skulls it acquired from a local hospital...
Man, 98, Charged as Accessory
to Murder at Nazi Camp
Sep 1, 2023 10:57 AM CDT
Man, 98, Charged as Accessory to Murder at Nazi Camp
German was said to have worked at Sachsenhausen concentration camp as a juvenile
- A 98-year-old man has been charged in Germany with being an accessory to murder as a guard at the Nazis' Sachsenhausen concentration camp between 1943 and 1945, prosecutors said Friday. The German citizen, a resident of Main-Kinzig County near Frankfurt, is accused of having "supported the cruel and malicious...
for COVID Surge
Aug 20, 2023 5:51 AM CDT
Germans Blame Barbenheimer for COVID Surge
Mass gatherings may have played a role in rise in case numbers
- Germany is experiencing a summer surge in COVID cases, and experts say something
calls the "Barbenheimer effect" is partly to blame. Epidemiologists say mass gatherings, including trips to the cinema to see blockbusters
often as a double bill, have played a role in what appears...
That's Probably Not a Lion
After All, Say German Police
Jul 21, 2023 10:12 AM CDT
That's Probably Not a Lion After All, Say German Police
Animal roaming near Berlin is probably a boar, say authorities
- It appears that a roaming "lion" in neighborhoods near Berlin isn't a lion after all. Authorities now think the animal spotted by witnesses is actually a much less sensational wild boar, reports the BBC . Boars are common in the area, and authorities have found zero physical evidence of...
Thieves Melted Down Some
of Their Looted Ancient Coins
Jul 20, 2023 12:23 PM CDT
Thieves Melted Down Some of Their Looted Ancient Coins
But authorities in Germany hold out hope of retrieving most of the 483 Celtic coins stolen
- Investigators looking into the theft of hundreds of ancient gold coins from a German museum have found lumps of gold that appear to have resulted from part of the treasure being melted down, officials said. Four suspects were arrested Tuesday over the Nov. 22 break-in at the Celtic and Roman...
Germany: Eritreans Crashing
Festival Injure 22 Officers
Jul 8, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Germany: Eritreans Crashing Festival Injure 22 Officers
Groups opposed to ruler battled police in Giessen
- German police said at least 22 officers were injured and dozens of people were detained Saturday during unrest at an Eritrean cultural event in the western city of Giessen. Police said bottles were thrown and smoke bombs were ignited as groups of Eritreans opposed to the African nation's autocratic...
Cross That Benedict Donated
to German Parish Is Stolen
Jun 20, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Cross That Benedict Donated to German Parish Is Stolen
Unknown thieves broke into Bavarian church on Monday, lifted pectoral cross from display case
- A cross bequeathed by the late Pope Benedict XVI to a parish in his German home region of Bavaria has been stolen from the church where it was exhibited, police said Tuesday. A display case on the wall of the town church in Traunstein was broken open by unknown perpetrators...
Tourists Attacked in Germany
Were Recent Illinois Grads
Jun 16, 2023 12:43 PM CDT
Tourists Attacked in Germany Were Recent Illinois Grads
Fellow American is accused of pushing two young women off a cliff; one died
- The 30-year-old American tourist facing murder and attempted murder charges in Germany told two fellow US tourists to follow him to a secret viewpoint from which they could view a famous castle—it inspired the one in Disney's
—before allegedly pushing both over a steep cliff, reports CBS...
Cops: Female US Tourist
Killed in Germany
Jun 15, 2023 1:47 PM CDT
Cops: Female US Tourist Killed in Germany
An American man is in custody; another US woman was seriously hurt near famed castle
- An American man has been arrested in the death of a US tourist and an assault on another near Neuschwanstein castle in southern Germany after he allegedly pushed the two women down a steep slope, authorities said Thursday. The incident near the popular tourist attraction happened on Wednesday afternoon near...
Pot Dealer, 82, Gets
'Very Last Warning'
Jun 5, 2023 6:25 PM CDT
Pot Dealer, 82, Gets 'Very Last Warning'
Retired seaman in Germany has 24 previous convictions
- A retired sailor in Germany has been warned that he needs to retire from marijuana dealing as well. The 82-year-old man, who has 24 previous convictions and an ongoing suspended sentence, was convicted of selling several dozen grams of pot, but judges at a district court in eastern Germany decided...
Cops: Man Who Tried to Kill
Rescue Workers Was Living
With Mother's Corpse
May 23, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Cops: Man Who Tried to Kill Rescue Workers Was Living With Mother's Corpse
Authorities say German man set police, firefighters on fire
- A German man accused of trying to kill emergency workers by setting them on fire had been living with his mother's corpse in a high-rise apartment packed full of canned food, bottled water, toilet paper, and other supplies, investigators say. The 57-year-old man has been charged with nine counts...
2 Russian Exiles May Have
Been Poisoned Abroad
May 22, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
2 Russian Exiles May Have Been Poisoned Abroad
Germany is investigating pair of cases at forum organized by a Kremlin critic
- It's become a familiar tale among critics of the Kremlin: Two more may have been poisoned in Germany. Police there have opened an investigation after two women became ill while attending a forum in Berlin last month organized by Russia critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky, reports Reuters . One is Natalia Arno,...
5 Guilty in Notorious
Dresden Jewel Heist
May 16, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
5 Guilty in Notorious Dresden Jewel Heist
All 5, from Germany's Remmo organized crime clan, acted with 'considerable criminal energy'
- On Nov. 25, 2019, several men broke into Germany's Green Vault, inside Dresden's Royal Palace, and absconded with roughly $129 million in 18th-century jewels in what the BBC calls "a meticulously planned heist." On Tuesday, a German court convicted five men of said heist on charges...
Gunman Opens Fire
Factory, Killing 2
May 12, 2023 12:45 AM CDT
Gunman Opens Fire at Mercedes-Benz Factory, Killing 2
Victims, shooter were reportedly employed by external service provider
- A man opened fire at a Mercedes-Benz factory in southwestern Germany on Thursday, leaving two people dead, authorities and the company said. The shooting occurred in Sindelfingen, a city near Stuttgart, the AP reports. The suspect, a 53-year-old Turkish citizen, was taken into custody, the Stuttgart prosecutor's office said....
German Court Sides
With Naked Landlord
Apr 27, 2023 3:43 PM CDT
German Court Sides With Naked Landlord
Tenant wanted a reduction because of the view
- A German court has ruled that a landlord sunbathing naked in the courtyard of his building wasn't a reason for his tenants to reduce their rental payments. The case involved a building in an upmarket residential district of Frankfurt, which included an office floor, rented by a human resources...
Use an Odd Tactic
Apr 24, 2023 12:01 PM CDT
Climate Protesters Use an Odd Tactic
In Berlin, Last Generation members glue their hands to the roads to shut down traffic
- German climate activists temporarily brought traffic to a standstill in some parts of Berlin on Monday by gluing themselves to streets all over the capital. The group Last Generation has repeatedly blocked roads across Germany in the past year in an effort to pressure the government to take more drastic...
For These Firefighters,
It's Squirrel Deja Vu
Apr 11, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
For These Firefighters, It's Squirrel Deja Vu
Critter is freed from manhole cover in Dortmund, Germany, which has experience in this matter
- Firefighters say they have freed an “uncooperative” squirrel that was stuck in a manhole cover in western Germany—echoing a similar incident that happened in the same city four years ago. The Dortmund fire department said it was alerted to a distressed red squirrel by a pedestrian Monday afternoon,...
Mar 11, 2023 1:35 PM CST
Berlin: All Poolgoers Can Drop Their Swimsuit Tops
German capital says that women can go topless, just like the guys
- Hate those pesky swimsuit tan lines you get while sunbathing? If you're planning an upcoming vacation in Berlin, you won't have to worry about that, if you're not too modest. That's because authorities in the German capital announced Thursday that they support the concept of "...
Police Were Tipped Off
About Hamburg Shooter
Mar 10, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Police Were Tipped Off About Hamburg Shooter
Officers visited man's home in January, but didn't take his legally-owned weapon
- The man who attacked a Jehovah's Witnesses hall in Hamburg Thursday night killed four men, two women, and the unborn baby of a woman who was seven months pregnant and survived the shooting, police said Friday, per the AP . Police said they received an anonymous tip about the gunman...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's Son Over Tree Trimming
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.