Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Causes Outrage With
'50 Holocausts' Remark
Aug 17, 2022 12:01 PM CDT
Palestinian Leader Causes Outrage With '50 Holocausts' Remark
He made comparison during news conference in Berlin
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas outraged Germans—and Israelis—Tuesday night by referring to the massacres of Palestinian civilians by Israeli forces as "Holocausts." Abbas, speaking at a joint press conference in Berlin with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, made the remark when a German journalist asked if he planned...
Germany Wants Cool Offices
Aug 13, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Germany Wants Cool Offices
Nation wants to cut dependency on natural gas from Russia
- German businesses and public institutions should heat their offices no higher than 19 degrees Celsius—66.2 degrees Fahrenheit—this winter to help reduce the country's consumption of natural gas, Germany’s economy minister said Saturday. Germany, the European Union's biggest economy, is quickly trying to wean itself...
34 Hurt in Legoland
Aug 12, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
34 Hurt in Legoland Rollercoaster Crash
2 train cars collided at Germany theme park
- A thrill ride turned truly frightening in Germany recently, when two rollercoaster trains collided with each other on the Fire Dragon ride at Legoland in Bavaria. Thirty-eight people were involved, and 34 of those were injured, two of them severely, the
reports. Legoland, which closed the ride and opened...
Fire Breaks Out at
in Berlin Forest
Aug 4, 2022 4:17 AM CDT
Fire Breaks Out at Ammunition Dump in Berlin Forest
Grunewald blaze was sparked by several explosions
- A large fire broke out in one of Berlin's city forests on Thursday morning, triggered by several explosions that took place at an ammunition dump inside the forest on what is forecast to be one of the hottest days of the year. Around 100 firefighters were battling the blaze...
Scientists Uncover Remains
of Hessian Troops From 1777
Aug 2, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Scientists Uncover Remains of Hessian Troops From 1777
Forensic teams will try to identify German soldiers who fought in Revolutionary War
- Researchers believe they have uncovered in a mass grave in New Jersey the remains of as many as 12 Hessian soldiers who fought during the Revolutionary War, officials announced Tuesday. The remains, found at the site of Fort Mercer and the 1777 Battle of Red Bank, rested for 245 years...
Europeans Urged to Prepare
for Russian Gas Cutoff
Jul 21, 2022 5:26 AM CDT
Europeans Urged to Prepare for Russian Gas Cutoff
Key pipeline has resumed operations with reduced flow
- The European Union is urging its members to start cutting back on natural gas to prepare for winter—and a possible end to supplies from Russia. Gas resumed flowing from Russia to Germany through the key Nord Stream 1 pipeline Thursday after 10 days offline for regular maintenance, the
In Former Nazi Camp,
a Devastating Find
Jul 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
In Former Nazi Camp, a Devastating Find
Burned remains of 8K bodies found as Poland continues to press Germany for WWII reparations
- A mass grave containing human ashes representing an estimated 8,000 people has been discovered near the former Nazi concentration camp of Soldau in northern Poland. The country's Institute of National Remembrance, which investigates crimes committed during the Nazi occupation of World War II and the subsequent period of...
Sound Coming From Sewer
Was Cause for Celebration
Jun 28, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
Sound Coming From Sewer Was Cause for Celebration
Boy in Germany found after being trapped for 8 days
- Hearing a noise come from a manhole cover sounds like an ominous happening, but in the German town of Oldenburg, it was a joyous occurrence. The sound—which euronews describes as "whimpering"—turned out to be made by an 8-year-old boy who had vanished on June 17. A...
Nazi Camp Guard
Convicted at 101
Jun 28, 2022 7:28 AM CDT
Nazi Camp Guard Convicted at 101
Josef Schuetz gets 5 years for accessory to murder
- A 101-year-old former guard at a Nazi concentration camp, who was the oldest Nazi criminal ever to stand trial in a German court, has been sentenced to five years in prison. The man identified by AFP as Josef Schuetz, who worked at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin from 1942...
As Russia Cuts
Gas Flow, One
It's in 'Crisis'
Jun 23, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
As Russia Cuts Gas Flow, One Nation Says It's in 'Crisis'
Germany says storage targets for winter are at risk as Russia reduces energy deliveries to EU nations
- Germany activated the second phase of its three-stage emergency plan for natural gas supplies Thursday, warning that Europe's biggest economy faces a "crisis" and that storage targets for the winter are at risk. The government said the decision follows cuts Russia made to natural gas flows starting last...
'Carnage' in Berlin After
Driver Hits School Group
Jun 8, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
'Carnage' in Berlin After Driver Hits School Group
Police are trying to determine whether deadly incident was intentional
- A man drove a car into a German school group standing in a popular Berlin shopping district Wednesday, killing a teacher and seriously injuring nine people, authorities said. The man drove into people on a street corner around 10:30am before getting the car back on the road and then...
Woman Who Posed as Doctor
Gets Life for Patient Deaths
May 25, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Woman Who Posed as Doctor Gets Life for Patient Deaths
German woman was sentenced on 3 counts of murder, 10 of attempted murder
- A German court on Wednesday sentenced a woman who posed as a doctor to life in prison for causing the deaths of several people she treated. Judges at the regional court in Kassel said the evidence showed the 51-year-old woman, whose name was not given in line with German privacy...
Germany: We're Moving
to End Russian 'Blackmail'
May 2, 2022 2:07 PM CDT
Germany: We're Moving to End Russian 'Blackmail'
Big importer of Russia's oil aims to be free of it by late summer
- Germany says it’s making progress on weaning itself off Russian fossil fuels and expects to be fully independent of Russian crude oil imports by late summer, per the AP . Economy and Climate Minister Robert Habeck said Sunday that Europe’s largest economy has reduced the share of Russian energy...
Protest Opposes Destroying
Village to Expand Coal Mine
Apr 23, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Protest Opposes Destroying Village to Expand Coal Mine
Last farmer has lost case in German courts against eviction
- Thousands of people on Saturday protested plans to bulldoze a village in western Germany to expand a coal mine that environmental activists say should be shut down, not enlarged. The German news agency dpa quoted police as saying that the demonstration in Luetzerath, 25 miles west of Cologne, was peaceful....
Millionaire Who Hit 257mph
on Autobahn Won't Be Charged
Apr 22, 2022 4:09 PM CDT
Millionaire Who Hit 257mph on Autobahn Won't Be Charged
Road was straight, visibility good, driver says
- Prosecutors have decided not to press charges against a Czech millionaire who drove a high-powered sportscar along a German highway at speeds of at least 257mph. Germany's dpa news agency reported Friday that prosecutors in the town of Stendal reviewed footage of the stunt and concluded that Radim Passer...
Germany: We Unmasked Plot to
Plunge Country Into Darkness
Apr 14, 2022 2:41 PM CDT
Germany: We Unmasked Plot to Plunge Country Into Darkness
Group linked to far-right movements hoped to trigger civil war conditions: police
- A group linked to far-right movements in Germany plotted to "overthrow the democratic system" by trigging a nationwide blackout and civil war conditions, authorities say. The plot also involved kidnapping Health Minister Karl Lauterbach and other high-profile figures, according to the BBC . Authorities searched 20 properties in several states...
Germany Picks Up Russian Talk
About Killing Ukrainian Civilians
Apr 7, 2022 5:11 PM CDT
Germany Picks Up Russian Talk About Killing Ukrainian Civilians
Intelligence service briefs lawmakers on satellite images, intercepted radio traffic
- More evidence has surfaced that despite Russia's denials, its forces have committed atrocities in Ukraine. Germany's foreign intelligence service has briefed members of its parliament,
reports, about satellite images it has showing Russian involvement, as well as radio chatter it intercepted about civilian deaths. Ukrainian officials...
Police: Suspect Had as Many as
90 Vaccine Shots in Card Scam
Apr 3, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Police: Suspect Had as Many as 90 Vaccine Shots in Card Scam
Forged passes have a market in Germany among COVID deniers and others who don't want to be vaccinated
- A 60-year-old man allegedly had himself vaccinated against COVID-19 dozens of times in Germany in order to sell forged vaccination cards with real vaccine batch numbers to people not wanting to get vaccinated themselves. The man from the eastern Germany city of Magdeburg, whose name was not released in line...
Germany: Letter 'Z'
Could Mean Jail
Mar 29, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Germany: Letter 'Z' Could Mean Jail
Authorities to investigate use of the pro-war symbol, which symbolizes victory for Russia
- People who display the letter "Z" as a show of support for Russia's war in Ukraine could now face prosecution in Germany. The interior minister for the state of Berlin said Monday that authorities will handle cases where the "Z" symbol—which stands for the Russian phrase...
Anchor From Kyiv
to Deliver News
Mar 19, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Anchor From Kyiv to Deliver News to Refugees
German broadcaster already plans to expand 'Ukraine Update'
- German broadcaster RTL has hired a Ukrainian presenter to host a daily news show for others who have fled their homeland after the Russian invasion. The commercial broadcaster said Karolina Ashion will present a 10-minute Ukrainian-language news program Mondays to Fridays addressed to the almost 200,000 people who have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
Lowe's Makes Big Move to Help Workers With Inflation
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
Trump Donors Respond to Push After FBI Search
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.