Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
This May Be a Surprisingly Easy
Way to Rid Body of Alcohol
in case you missed it
Nov 15, 2020 6:53 AM CST
This May Be a Surprisingly Easy Way to Rid Body of Alcohol
Breathing hard speeds up process, and device helps people do so without passing out
- When a patient turns up in the ER with alcohol poisoning, doctors don't have many options when it comes to getting the booze out of their system. Dialysis works but isn't always practical, meaning it's up to the painstakingly slow liver to get the job done, explains...
Van Gogh's Deliriums
Tied to Alcohol Withdrawal
Nov 8, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Van Gogh's Deliriums Tied to Alcohol Withdrawal
Forced withdrawal in hospital may have triggered 'unbearable hallucinations'
- More than a century after his death, people remain fascinated with Vincent Van Gogh's life, particularly the last few years , which were marked by mental illness. Indeed, a new study focusing on that most-productive period suggests he didn't have schizophrenia but may have been suffering from delirium linked...
No More Pints
or Pimm's Here
Oct 16, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
No More Pints or Pimm's Here for Now
Alcohol sales banned in British Parliament's bars, restaurants as COVID restrictions are tightened
- Don't expect to grab a pint at your favorite Parliament watering hole anytime soon. Starting Saturday, alcohol is banned at all House of Commons venues, in what Speaker of the House Sir Lindsay Hoyle says is an attempt to bring the governmental institution "into line with the national...
Opening More Bottles Than
Usual? You're Not Alone
Oct 6, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Opening More Bottles Than Usual? You're Not Alone
Study finds Americans 30 and older are drinking booze 14% more during pandemic than last year
- If you've been throwing back more vino than you used to, join the stuck-at-home crowd. A new study conducted by the Rand Corporation has found that Americans are drinking alcohol 14% more often during the pandemic than they used to, with NPR citing everything from Zoom happy hours to...
Item Is Simply
Sep 15, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Taco Bell's Newest Menu Item Is Simply Intoxicating
Chain's Canadian outpost to offer 'Jalapeno Noir' red wine for $20 a bottle
- Starting five years ago, Taco Bell crossed over into boozy beverages, offering liquor-spiked Mountain Dews and punches , margaritas, and even its first branded lager , which seem to make sense with such fare. Now the fast-food chain has an alcohol addition that's slightly more upscale (and "democratizing," per...
Experts Halve Recommended
Alcohol Limit for Men
Jul 16, 2020 4:12 AM CDT
Experts Halve Recommended Alcohol Limit for Men
It's now 1 drink a day, same as for women
- If you decide to have an alcoholic drink, limiting yourself to one a day is best—whether you’re a man or woman. That’s the new advice experts are recommending for the US Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are scheduled to be updated later this year for the first...
Spirits Industry First:
a Paper Bottle
Jul 13, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Spirits Industry First: a Paper Bottle
Diageo announces Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky will have plastic-free packaging starting next spring
- Tired: drinking out of a paper bag. Wired: drinking out of a paper bottle. Starting next year, you'll be able to do the latter, thanks to a spirits industry first. Reuters reports that Diageo—maker of such brands as Tanqueray, Captain Morgan, and Smirnoff, among others—has teamed up...
In This Country, a COVID
Curfew, Reimposed Booze Ban
Jul 13, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
In This Country, a COVID Curfew, Reimposed Booze Ban
South Africa's president says steps are needed to fight the 'coronavirus storm'
- South Africa has seen more than 12,000 new COVID-19 cases daily over the past few days, trailing only the US, Brazil, and India on that figure, and health officials are now issuing warnings that shortages of hospital beds and oxygen are looming. That was the dire message delivered Sunday...
As One Country Reopens,
People Buy Booze for
First Time in 2 Months
Jun 1, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
As One Country Reopens, People Buy Booze for First Time in 2 Months
As South Africa eases lockdown, many head to the liquor store instead of to work
- Many South Africans spent their Monday morning lining up outside liquor stores, reports the AP , as alcohol sales were allowed again after a two-month ban because of the coronavirus outbreak. But while South Africa—with the continent's most developed economy and the highest number of confirmed cases of COVID-19—...
Walmart Sells Shirts, Not
Pants Amid Coronavirus
Mar 28, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Walmart Sells Shirts, Not Pants Amid Coronavirus
The pandemic is also affecting real estate and book sales
- When you teleconference, no one can see your pants—and that's driving a spike in shirt sales as more Americans work at home during the coronavirus pandemic,
reports. "We're seeing increased sales in tops, but not bottoms. So, people who are concerned, obviously, from the...
Hand Sanitizer, All Gone?
These People Give It Away
Mar 15, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
Hand Sanitizer, All Gone? These People Give It Away
Distilleries are pitching in during the coronavirus pandemic
- Trying to buy hand sanitizer? Then you know it's increasingly unavailable or overpriced. That's why distilleries across America are stepping up and cranking out their own product during the coronavirus pandemic, CBS News reports. Whether it's the Old Fourth Distillery in Atlanta, the Durham Distillery in North...
Tito's Warns It Doesn't
Protect Against Coronavirus
Mar 6, 2020 11:09 AM CST
Tito's Warns It Doesn't Protect Against Coronavirus
When turned into a homemade hand sanitizer, that is
- With hand sanitizer flying off shelves as a result of the coronavirus, recipes for homemade versions have been popping up online. The problem is, "if made incorrectly, it can be downright harmful," reports CNN . The solution must be made with at least 60% alcohol, which rules out use...
Cross in Jagermeister
Logo Comes Under Fire
Feb 20, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Cross in Jagermeister Logo Comes Under Fire
Swiss court dismisses claim that it's an affront to Christians
- Jägermeister has emerged the victor in a Swiss court case in which its logo was painted as an insult to Christians. The logo, featuring a cross hovering over the head of a stag, is based on the legend of the 8th-century Christian saint Hubertus, an avid hunter, who is...
'Smelly, Brown Liquid' Coming
From Taps Is a Shocker
Feb 7, 2020 9:24 AM CST
'Smelly, Brown Liquid' Coming From Taps Is a Shocker
- A "smelly, brown liquid" poured out of the faucets of an apartment building in southern India on Monday. So why is it international news, and why were the residents "bemused," as the BBC puts it? Because the liquid wasn't just water but a combination of water,...
Americans Are Drinking
More, and Here's Why
Jan 14, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Americans Are Drinking More, and Here's Why
Seems there's a cultural change, and no 'policy response to match it'
- Americans are drinking more now than when Prohibition was enacted. What's more, it's been rising for two decades, and it's not clear when it will fall again. That’s the picture painted by federal health statistics, which show a rise in per-person consumption and increases in emergency...
2 Drinks a Day Is OK?
Dec 16, 2019 10:55 AM CST
2 Drinks a Day Is OK? Not Anymore, Says Council
Australian health council changes alcohol guidelines for first time since 2009
- If you've been feeling pretty good about your alcohol consumption, making sure to never go over the recommended maximum of two drinks per day, we have bad news: You have to start keeping it to 1.4 drinks a day, at least according to one group of experts. Australia'...
'Perfect' Whiskey Collection
Is Going Up for Sale
Dec 9, 2019 10:49 AM CST
'Perfect' Whiskey Collection Is Going Up for Sale
Private collection of 3,900 bottles, many of them rare, could fetch up to $10.5M in total at auction
- What to get as a gift for the person who has everything? Consider the largest private collection of whiskey ever to go up for public sale. Of course, you'll have to have anywhere from $9.2 million to $10.5 million to afford said collection, which is referred to...
Nov 1, 2019 12:33 PM CDT
Test Reveals Saoirse Kennedy Hill's Cause of Death
It was an accidental OD from alcohol, methadone, prescription drugs
- The autopsy for Saoirse Kennedy Hill in August didn't offer much insight into how she died, but now the toxicology tests are in: The death certificate for the 22-year-old notes she suffered an accidental overdose from a lethal mix of alcohol, methadone, and prescription drugs, per WCVB . Besides the...
Looks Like Movie Star
Fell Off the Wagon
Oct 27, 2019 3:12 PM CDT
Looks Like Movie Star Fell Off the Wagon
Ben Affleck loses his balance after leaving LA event
- Seems Ben Affleck knocked back a few at a Halloween party in Los Angeles after staying sober for more than a year,
star—or what looks like him, behind a skull mask—was caught by TMZ leaving a Unicef ball in West Hollywood on...
He Got Drunk
He Drank, but
Because He Ate
Oct 24, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
He Got Drunk Not Because He Drank, but Because He Ate
Man suffered from auto-brewery syndrome, which converted carbs to ethanol
- For years after taking antibiotics in 2011 for a thumb injury, a previously active and healthy man says he suffered from depression, "brain fog," memory loss, and aggressiveness. Then, after a DWI arrest, those around him, including medical staff and cops, became convinced he was a secret drinker—...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
In Rare Move, Thomas Recuses Himself From Case
Predator Vigilante Fatally Shot in Restaurant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.