Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
21 Teens Who Died in Bar
Ingested Toxic Form of Alcohol
Jul 19, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
21 Teens Who Died in Bar Ingested Toxic Form of Alcohol
Methanol investigated as possible cause of death in South African tragedy
- The toxic chemical methanol has been identified as a possible cause of the deaths of 21 teenagers at a bar in the South African city of East London last month, per the AP . Methanol was found in all of their bodies, and investigations are continuing to determine whether the levels...
Cheers if You're Over 40.
Not So Fast if You're Younger
Jul 15, 2022 1:54 PM CDT
Cheers if You're Over 40. Not So Fast if You're Younger
New analysis finds there's no benefit and only increased health risks for young adults who drink
- First scientists told us that young adults shouldn't drink alone ; now they're saying they shouldn't drink at all. At least, that's the conclusion of new research out of Seattle's University of Washington, which is part of the ongoing "Global Burden of Diseases" study carried...
Who Drink Solo,
Take Heed of This Study
Jul 13, 2022 2:49 PM CDT
Young People Who Drink Solo, Take Heed of This Study
Study finds young solitary drinkers at increased risk for alcoholism in mid-30s
- The manner in which you drink alcohol as a young person might be more important than how much you drink in determining future alcoholism risk, according to new research that warns against drinking alone in early life, especially if you're a young female. Researchers analyzed data from 4,500...
It's Time Someone Said It:
Hard Seltzer Just Isn't Good
Jul 13, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
It's Time Someone Said It: Hard Seltzer Just Isn't Good
Amanda Mull charts America's slowly waning obsession with the beverage
- America fell in love with hard seltzer in the summer of 2019. It appears our feelings might have slightly cooled. In a piece for the
, Amanda Mull charts hard seltzer's heyday (more than 150 brands on the market by mid-2021!) and where sales are now (certainly not...
American Airlines Is
Bringing Back Alcohol
Mar 18, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
American Airlines Is Bringing Back Alcohol
Airline says service will be restored April 18
- The federal mask mandate for airline passengers expires on April 18, and while it's not clear whether it will be extended, American Airlines has decided that's the right day to bring back alcohol service. The move will make American, while is also bringing back food, the last major...
'Years of Hard Drinking'
Feb 9, 2022 9:02 AM CST
'Years of Hard Drinking' Led to
'Chronic ethanol use' is official wording used by coroner's office regarding Anthony Johnson
The autopsy report is in on
star Anthony "AJ" Johnson, who was found lifeless in a Los Angeles store in September. Although the coroner's office deemed the manner of death natural, the cause was attributed to "chronic ethanol use"—meaning Johnson died "from...
Flight Attendants' Union
Peeved by Southwest Move
Feb 4, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Flight Attendants' Union Peeved by Southwest Move
It doesn't want to see the resumption of alcohol sales on flights
- Southwest Airlines will resume alcohol sales on most of its flights this month following a nearly two-year hiatus. COO Mike Van de Ven said last week that the resumption would likely come late in the first quarter or early in the next quarter, per CNBC . The date is now confirmed...
First Brand Apology of 2022
Did Not Take Long
in case you missed it
Jan 8, 2022 7:15 AM CST
First Brand Apology of 2022 Did Not Take Long
Pabst's crude posts made fun of 'Dry January,' an alcohol-free movement to kick off the new year
- A brand is usually going to do whatever it can to sell itself—which is why one of Pabst Blue Ribbon's latest tweets simply reads "Beer"—but other recent tweets in the new year from PBR have generated backlash, and now an apology. The Daily Beast reports...
Ruined a Winery's
Grapes. It Had a Plan
Dec 9, 2021 1:36 PM CST
California Wildfires Ruined a Winery's Grapes. It Had a Plan
Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards is now producing vodka made from the smoke-tainted fruit
- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. When it hands you ruined grapes, make ... vodka? That's what Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards opted to do when its grape crops were sullied by smoke from last year's California wildfires, thanks in part to a partnership with an Almeda...
Demi Lovato Announces
New Approach to Sobriety
Dec 4, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Demi Lovato Announces New Approach to Sobriety
Singer says they're now 'sober sober,' not 'California sober'—meaning no more occasional weed, booze
- Demi Lovato has long struggled with substance abuse issues, leading to a 2018 overdose , and this week, they revealed to fans that they're shifting how they deal with their addictions. "I no longer support my 'California sober' ways," Lovato posted Thursday in an Instagram story, reports...
Survey: US Is World's
Dec 3, 2021 8:42 AM CST
Survey: US Is World's 4th-Drunkest Country
Australia came top in global survey
- Australians are either the drunkest people in the world or the people most likely to be honest about how often they get drunk, according to the latest Global Drug Survey . The survey of 32,000 people in 22 countries found that while Australians drank alcohol around twice a week on...
Stream in Hawaii
Was 1.2% Alcohol
Nov 18, 2021 12:18 PM CST
Stream in Hawaii Was 1.2% Alcohol
Nearby liquor distributor was ordered to 'stop the discharge'
- Streams of alcohol have been trickling down the rocks not in the Big Rock Candy Mountains , but in Waipio, around 15 miles north of Honolulu, Hawaii. The stream was contaminated by runoff believed to be from Paradise Beverages, the state’s largest distributor of liquor and alcoholic beverages, which owns...
Alcohol to Cancer
Aug 5, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Researchers: Strong Evidence Links Alcohol to Cancer
But there's also good evidence that coffee reduces the risk of liver cancer
- The effect of diet on cancer is tough to determine for many reasons, including the fact that most studies rely on data self-reported by participants, researchers say in a new study. The Imperial College London scientists looked at 860 meta-analyses of published studies involving 11 anatomical sites and found that...
FAA Makes Big
Ask of Airports to
Control Unruly Travelers
Aug 5, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
FAA Makes Big Ask of Airports to Control Unruly Travelers
Agency wants bars, restaurants to nix booze 'to go,' as passengers try to bring those drinks on board
- Multiple airlines have already cut back on serving alcohol in the air, due to a spike in incidents involving out-of-control passengers, and now the Federal Aviation Administration is appealing to airports to do their part. Per NBC News , FAA chief Steve Dickson's letter to airport managers on Tuesday noted...
Have Heart Issues?
A Bit of Booze Daily
'Not That Bad'
Jul 27, 2021 8:31 AM CDT
Have Heart Issues? A Bit of Booze Daily 'Not That Bad'
New research shows light to moderate alcohol consumption may protect previous heart patients
- Alcohol was the bad guy again in a recent study tying it to hundreds of thousands of cancer cases, but if you're already suffering from a cardiovascular condition? A small amount daily is "not that bad." That's how scientist Emmanuela Gakidou of the University of Washington'...
740K Cancers Around the World
Blamed on Drinking Alcohol
Jul 14, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
740K Cancers Around the World Blamed on Drinking Alcohol
Study looked at how much people drank and then how many got sick a decade later
- Have you been coping with pandemic stress with a glass of wine at night? A team of researchers has some unhappy news for you. In a study published Tuesday in the
, scientists have linked even moderate drinking to cancer. The authors of the study wrote that they saw...
Her '3 Years
Jul 12, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Patricia Heaton Talks About Her '3 Years of Freedom'
'Everybody Loves Raymond' actor celebrates anniversary of kicking alcohol to the curb
- A post over the weekend from Patricia Heaton gave a shoutout to both America and to an achievement by Heaton herself. "It's July, [when] we celebrate our nation's freedom," the 63-year-old
Everybody Loves Raymond
actor noted in a Saturday video on social media...
Double Standard on Pot,
Alcohol Needs to Change
Jul 2, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Double Standard on Pot, Alcohol Needs to Change
Olympic officials will have to accept reality eventually, Nancy Armour writes
- Marijuana use is legal in 18 states, and it's been decriminalized in another 12. One of the states where it's legal is Oregon, where a test found traces of pot in Sha'Carri Richardson's system, tossing out the sprinter's 100-meter victory at the US Olympic Track...
The Value of Underage
Drinking? It's Staggering
Jun 11, 2021 9:29 AM CDT
The Value of Underage Drinking? It's Staggering
Study finds 8.6% of alcohol sold in 2016 was consumed by minors
- That alcohol companies make money off booze consumed by minors isn't surprising. Just how much money might be. CNN reports a study published Thursday in the
Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs
found minors drank some $17.5 billion of the beer and liquor sold in 2016. That...
Jun 6, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
You Probably Should Stop Drinking Alone
Kate Julian does a deep dive into the pros and cons of American drinking in the 'Atlantic'
- To get a big-picture perspective on the pros and cons of drinking, settle in with Kate Julian's piece in the
, headlined, "America Has a Drinking Problem." And we mean
picture: The story goes back to the earliest days of civilization, diving into humans' unique ability...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.