Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
740K Cancers Around the World
Blamed on Drinking Alcohol
Jul 14, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
740K Cancers Around the World Blamed on Drinking Alcohol
Study looked at how much people drank and then how many got sick a decade later
- Have you been coping with pandemic stress with a glass of wine at night? A team of researchers has some unhappy news for you. In a study published Tuesday in the
, scientists have linked even moderate drinking to cancer. The authors of the study wrote that they saw...
Her '3 Years
Jul 12, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Patricia Heaton Talks About Her '3 Years of Freedom'
'Everybody Loves Raymond' actor celebrates anniversary of kicking alcohol to the curb
- A post over the weekend from Patricia Heaton gave a shoutout to both America and to an achievement by Heaton herself. "It's July, [when] we celebrate our nation's freedom," the 63-year-old
Everybody Loves Raymond
actor noted in a Saturday video on social media...
Double Standard on Pot,
Alcohol Needs to Change
Jul 2, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Double Standard on Pot, Alcohol Needs to Change
Olympic officials will have to accept reality eventually, Nancy Armour writes
- Marijuana use is legal in 18 states, and it's been decriminalized in another 12. One of the states where it's legal is Oregon, where a test found traces of pot in Sha'Carri Richardson's system, tossing out the sprinter's 100-meter victory at the US Olympic Track...
The Value of Underage
Drinking? It's Staggering
Jun 11, 2021 9:29 AM CDT
The Value of Underage Drinking? It's Staggering
Study finds 8.6% of alcohol sold in 2016 was consumed by minors
- That alcohol companies make money off booze consumed by minors isn't surprising. Just how much money might be. CNN reports a study published Thursday in the
Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs
found minors drank some $17.5 billion of the beer and liquor sold in 2016. That...
Jun 6, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
You Probably Should Stop Drinking Alone
Kate Julian does a deep dive into the pros and cons of American drinking in the 'Atlantic'
- To get a big-picture perspective on the pros and cons of drinking, settle in with Kate Julian's piece in the
, headlined, "America Has a Drinking Problem." And we mean
picture: The story goes back to the earliest days of civilization, diving into humans' unique ability...
Yet Another Airline
Pulls Back on the Booze
Jun 3, 2021 7:51 AM CDT
Yet Another Airline Pulls Back on the Booze
United joins Southwest, American in limiting or suspending alcohol service over unruly passengers
- A third airline has hopped on the "curtail alcohol" bandwagon after a slew of increasingly aggressive in-flight incidents, many related to unruly passengers balking at having to wear face masks. Airlines in general had suspended serving alcohol during the pandemic to limit passenger-flight attendant interaction and prevent spreading the...
Safe Alcohol Consumption?
There's No Such Thing
May 21, 2021 9:12 AM CDT
Safe Alcohol Consumption? There's No Such Thing
Study finds drinking impacts brain's white and gray matter
- "So many people drink 'moderately,' and think this is either harmless or even protective," says Oxford University researcher Anya Topiwala. The opposite is true, according to Topiwala's new study , which finds any amount of alcohol consumption reduces the volume of gray matter in the brain,...
Why a Number of
New Bars Don't
Actually Serve Booze
Mar 16, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
Why a Number of New Bars Don't Actually Serve Booze
They're opening up as more people experiment with sobriety
- There’s something missing from a new wave of bars opening around the world: Alcohol. Aimed at the growing number of people exploring sobriety, the bars pour adult drinks like craft cocktails without the booze, the AP reports. At 0% Non-Alcohol Experience, a futuristic bar in Tokyo, patrons can sip...
Try to Hack
Feb 15, 2021 11:06 AM CST
Whiskey Makers Try to Hack Tradition
New processes might eliminate the need for the usual aging process
- Most people want to turn back time. Among whiskey makers, a quest has evolved to speed it up. Last fall, Silicon Valley startup Bespoken Spirits made headlines by raising $2.6 million in seed funding to introduce a rapid-aging process that would nix having to mature whiskey in barrels, which...
in case you missed
Jan 2, 2021 11:12 AM CST
New Dietary Guidelines Skip 2 Controversial Suggestions
USDA rejects idea to further cut alcohol and sugar intake, weighs in on breastfeeding
- The official new dietary guidelines for Americans have been updated for the first time in five years, and they might be more notable for what they
include. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, the federal guidelines don't call for cuts in alcohol and sugar intake. Over the...
This May Be a Surprisingly Easy
Way to Rid Body of Alcohol
in case you missed it
Nov 15, 2020 6:53 AM CST
This May Be a Surprisingly Easy Way to Rid Body of Alcohol
Breathing hard speeds up process, and device helps people do so without passing out
- When a patient turns up in the ER with alcohol poisoning, doctors don't have many options when it comes to getting the booze out of their system. Dialysis works but isn't always practical, meaning it's up to the painstakingly slow liver to get the job done, explains...
Van Gogh's Deliriums
Tied to Alcohol Withdrawal
Nov 8, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Van Gogh's Deliriums Tied to Alcohol Withdrawal
Forced withdrawal in hospital may have triggered 'unbearable hallucinations'
- More than a century after his death, people remain fascinated with Vincent Van Gogh's life, particularly the last few years , which were marked by mental illness. Indeed, a new study focusing on that most-productive period suggests he didn't have schizophrenia but may have been suffering from delirium linked...
No More Pints
or Pimm's Here
Oct 16, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
No More Pints or Pimm's Here for Now
Alcohol sales banned in British Parliament's bars, restaurants as COVID restrictions are tightened
- Don't expect to grab a pint at your favorite Parliament watering hole anytime soon. Starting Saturday, alcohol is banned at all House of Commons venues, in what Speaker of the House Sir Lindsay Hoyle says is an attempt to bring the governmental institution "into line with the national...
Opening More Bottles Than
Usual? You're Not Alone
Oct 6, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Opening More Bottles Than Usual? You're Not Alone
Study finds Americans 30 and older are drinking booze 14% more during pandemic than last year
- If you've been throwing back more vino than you used to, join the stuck-at-home crowd. A new study conducted by the Rand Corporation has found that Americans are drinking alcohol 14% more often during the pandemic than they used to, with NPR citing everything from Zoom happy hours to...
Item Is Simply
Sep 15, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Taco Bell's Newest Menu Item Is Simply Intoxicating
Chain's Canadian outpost to offer 'Jalapeno Noir' red wine for $20 a bottle
- Starting five years ago, Taco Bell crossed over into boozy beverages, offering liquor-spiked Mountain Dews and punches , margaritas, and even its first branded lager , which seem to make sense with such fare. Now the fast-food chain has an alcohol addition that's slightly more upscale (and "democratizing," per...
Experts Halve Recommended
Alcohol Limit for Men
Jul 16, 2020 4:12 AM CDT
Experts Halve Recommended Alcohol Limit for Men
It's now 1 drink a day, same as for women
- If you decide to have an alcoholic drink, limiting yourself to one a day is best—whether you’re a man or woman. That’s the new advice experts are recommending for the US Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are scheduled to be updated later this year for the first...
Spirits Industry First:
a Paper Bottle
Jul 13, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Spirits Industry First: a Paper Bottle
Diageo announces Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky will have plastic-free packaging starting next spring
- Tired: drinking out of a paper bag. Wired: drinking out of a paper bottle. Starting next year, you'll be able to do the latter, thanks to a spirits industry first. Reuters reports that Diageo—maker of such brands as Tanqueray, Captain Morgan, and Smirnoff, among others—has teamed up...
In This Country, a COVID
Curfew, Reimposed Booze Ban
Jul 13, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
In This Country, a COVID Curfew, Reimposed Booze Ban
South Africa's president says steps are needed to fight the 'coronavirus storm'
- South Africa has seen more than 12,000 new COVID-19 cases daily over the past few days, trailing only the US, Brazil, and India on that figure, and health officials are now issuing warnings that shortages of hospital beds and oxygen are looming. That was the dire message delivered Sunday...
As One Country Reopens,
People Buy Booze for
First Time in 2 Months
Jun 1, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
As One Country Reopens, People Buy Booze for First Time in 2 Months
As South Africa eases lockdown, many head to the liquor store instead of to work
- Many South Africans spent their Monday morning lining up outside liquor stores, reports the AP , as alcohol sales were allowed again after a two-month ban because of the coronavirus outbreak. But while South Africa—with the continent's most developed economy and the highest number of confirmed cases of COVID-19—...
Walmart Sells Shirts, Not
Pants Amid Coronavirus
Mar 28, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Walmart Sells Shirts, Not Pants Amid Coronavirus
The pandemic is also affecting real estate and book sales
- When you teleconference, no one can see your pants—and that's driving a spike in shirt sales as more Americans work at home during the coronavirus pandemic,
reports. "We're seeing increased sales in tops, but not bottoms. So, people who are concerned, obviously, from the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.