Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Tax Rates Unveiled
Oct 9, 2019 8:18 AM CDT
2018's 'Maddening' Tax Rates Unveiled
400 richest US households paid lower rate than bottom 50%: economists
- America's richest billionaires paid a lower average tax rate than the working class for the first time in US history in 2018, according to a new study. The book-length research,
The Triumph of Injustice
, comes from Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, the same economists who inspired Elizabeth Warren's...
Sanders Just One-Upped
Warren on a Signature Issue
Sep 24, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Sanders Just One-Upped Warren on a Signature Issue
Sanders' wealth tax proposal would affect more households, raise more revenue: economists
- Elizabeth Warren is suddenly facing competition on the signature issue of her presidential campaign. Enter Bernie Sanders, who on Tuesday unveiled his plan to "substantially reduce wealth inequality in America and stop our democracy from turning into a corrupt oligarchy." Whereas Warren backs a 2% wealth tax on...
Warren's Social Security
Plan Calls for a Raise
Sep 12, 2019 10:24 AM CDT
Warren's Social Security Plan Calls for a Raise
She wants people to get $200 more a month, and she wants the rich to pay for it
- Elizabeth Warren is out with her latest policy proposal, and she's calling for those on Social Security to receive an extra $200 a month. In a post at Medium detailing the proposal, Warren says the increased benefits would be paid for by raising taxes on the wealthy. The plan...
Trump: I'm Mulling Tax Cuts,
But R-Word Is 'Inappropriate'
Aug 20, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
Trump: I'm Mulling Tax Cuts, But R-Word Is 'Inappropriate'
The president says he's looking at capital gains and payroll tax cuts
- President Donald Trump says his administration is a looking at tax cut proposals but not as a response to a potential recession, the AP reports. "I'm looking at that all the time anyway," he explained. Trump talked about the economy and trade with China during a meeting...
His Response to
$1B Loss Story
May 8, 2019 8:49 AM CDT
Trump Tweets His Response to $1B Loss Story
He cites 'massive write offs and depreciation' following 'hit job'
- With #BillionDollarLoser and #BiggestLoser trending on Twitter, President Trump went on the defense Wednesday, suggesting a reported $1.1 billion in losses over 10 years was no big deal. Real estate developers in the 1980s and '90s "were entitled to massive write offs and depreciation which would, if...
Congress May Kill Chance
of Free IRS Tax Filing
Apr 9, 2019 1:54 PM CDT
Congress May Kill Chance of Free IRS Tax Filing
ProPublica reports that a bipartisan bill would bar the creation of such a system
- It's beginning to look like the IRS will never provide a free online tax-filing system for Americans, reports ProPublica . The news outlet blames heavy lobbying from the likes of TurboTax and H&R Block. A bill with bipartisan support has cleared the House Ways and Means Committee, and one...
NJ and Hawaii: Thousands
Apart, in Miles, Property Taxes
Feb 26, 2019 8:43 AM CST
NJ and Hawaii: Thousands Apart, in Miles, Property Taxes
Garden State has highest US property taxes, Aloha State the lowest, based on median home value
- What do Hawaii and New Jersey have in common? Probably not much, but especially when it comes to property taxes, per WalletHub , which says what you pay on your real estate can range from a "small inconvenience" to a "major burden." The Aloha State falls under the...
Feb 17, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Guess What Amazon Paid in Taxes Last Year
If you guessed $0, you're close. It's less than $0.
- Amazon, pay federal taxes? Hope Uncle Sam isn't holding his breath. The retailing giant paid zero dollars to the feds in 2017 and 2018 despite profits totaling nearly $17 billion, the
reports. Seems Amazon relied on tax credits and tax breaks for executive stock options to turn its...
Tax Refunds Are Smaller,
and People Are Ticked
in case you missed it
Feb 16, 2019 2:00 PM CST
Tax Refunds Are Smaller, and People Are Ticked
Average return is $1,865 under new tax code, down 8% from last year
- The IRS is out with early numbers on tax refunds in 2019, and people hoping for a bump under the new tax changes are being unpleasantly surprised. In the first week of the filing season, the average refund was $1,865, down about 8% from last year's average of...
a 'Wrench' in
Jan 4, 2019 9:12 AM CST
In Shutdown, a 'Wrench' in Getting Your Tax Refund?
IRS employees who process tax refunds are among first to be furloughed
- The Internal Revenue Service may not be anyone's favorite government agency, but many taxpayers may be pulling for it to regain full staffing over the next few weeks. That's because tax refunds may be delayed this year, thanks to the partial government shutdown,
reports. Per a...
Protests: 135 Hurt, 1K Detained
Dec 8, 2018 1:11 PM CST
Protests: 135 Hurt, 1K Detained
French official says the violence is 'under control'
- France's interior minister says the protest violence in Paris is "under control" despite scattered tensions but is calling it "totally unacceptable." Interior Minister Christophe Castaner says 135 people were injured in the protests Saturday, including 17 police officers, the AP reports. He says "exceptional" security...
Emmanuel Macron Blew It
Dec 7, 2018 1:11 PM CST
Where France's Emmanuel Macron Blew It
He miscalculated how the burden of his fuel tax would fall on people who could least afford it
- Paris and other large cities in France are bracing for violence this weekend. "Yellow vest" protesters promise to be out in force, and police promise to be there to meet them. One potential sign of good news: Representatives of the protesters will meet with Prime Minister Edouard Philippe Friday...
France Said It Wouldn't
Budge on Fuel Tax.
It Just Did
Dec 4, 2018 6:01 AM CST
France Said It Wouldn't Budge on Fuel Tax. It Just Did
Tax hikes have been suspended for several months after violent protests, per PM
- French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe announced a suspension of fuel tax hikes Tuesday, a major U-turn in an effort to appease a protest movement that radicalized and plunged Paris into chaos last weekend, French media report. Both
newspaper and France Info radio said the planned increase, which has...
They Were Protesting a Fuel
Tax. Then a Driver Panicked
Nov 17, 2018 7:30 AM CST
They Were Protesting a Fuel Tax. Then a Driver Panicked
One dead, dozens hurt in France after demonstration
- One protester was killed and 47 others were injured during roadblocks set up around France to demonstrate against rising fuel taxes, a new challenge to embattled President Emmanuel Macron, the AP reports. The protester was killed when a driver caught in traffic accelerated in a panic at Pont-de-Beauvoisin, near Chambery,...
5 Strange Things That
Were Once Taxed
Oct 17, 2018 6:02 PM CDT
5 Strange Things That Were Once Taxed
Including ... beards?
- If you currently sport a beard, just be glad you're not living in England a few centuries ago. King Henry VIII introduced the first beard tax in 1535, in an attempt to turn the facial hair into a status symbol. Though he later did away with the tax, Queen...
Oct 14, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Kushner Didn't Pay Federal Taxes for Years:
Documents show how real-estate developers avoid paying
- Seems President Trump isn't the only one who avoids paying taxes . Jared Kushner paid little to no taxes from 2009 to 2016 by exploiting a quirk of the tax code that benefits real-estate developers, the
New York Times
reports. A review of his private financial documents shows that Kushner—...
Top Tech CEOs Bicker
Over Chronic Homelessness
Oct 13, 2018 1:40 PM CDT
Top Tech CEOs Bicker Over Chronic Homelessness
Jack Dorsey, Marc Benioff trade barbs on Twitter
- Two of the world's top tech CEOs disagree about how to ease homelessness in San Francisco—a city where extreme wealth glitters alongside roughly 7,500 living on the streets, the
reports. At issue is a proposed tax on wealthy city businesses that Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff supports...
Trump Could Face
'Staggering' Tax Penalty
Oct 4, 2018 2:51 AM CDT
Trump Could Face 'Staggering' Tax Penalty
NY officials 'vigorously pursuing' investigation
- Though President Trump insists he did nothing wrong on his taxes , experts say he could be on the hook for tens of millions of dollars in civil fines if state and federal authorities substantiate a
New York Times
report that found he and his family cheated the IRS for decades....
Oct 3, 2018 9:50 AM CDT
Trump Responds to
Report on His Inheritance
'Very old, boring'
- Those waiting for President Trump's response to the
New York Times
investigation into what it says was the $413 million inheritance (in today's dollars) he received and the alleged "dubious tax schemes" around it got it mid-morning. The president tweeted , "The Failing New York Times did...
Jul 31, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
White House Plans Bold Move on Taxes
Treasury might change how capital gains are figured, benefiting wealthiest Americans
- The wealthiest Americans may be getting some good news on taxes from a big shift under consideration by the Treasury Department. The change would affect how capital gains taxes are figured in regard to inflation, with the upshot being that the amount owed to the government would be less, reports...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.