Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
IRS Delays the Start
of Tax-Filing Season
Jan 15, 2021 5:00 PM CST
IRS Delays the Start of Tax-Filing Season
Agency won't accept returns until Feb. 12
- The tax-filing season will be a bit more condensed than usual this year. The IRS said Friday that it is pushing back the start of the season until Feb. 12, reports CNBC . Typically, taxpayers can start filing in late January. Despite the later start, the usual deadline of April 15...
Report Won't Help Relations
Between Trump, Barr
Dec 11, 2020 12:34 PM CST
Report Won't Help Relations Between Trump, Barr
AG resisted pressure to reveal Hunter Biden investigations before election: WSJ
- This isn't likely to make President Trump any friendlier toward his attorney general: The
Wall Street Journal
reports William Barr knew about multiple investigations into Hunter Biden's finances since at least spring "and worked to avoid their public disclosure during the heated election campaign." Trump again...
Hunter Biden Says He Is
Facing Federal Investigation
Dec 9, 2020 4:40 PM CST
Hunter Biden Says He Is Facing Federal Investigation
US Attorney's office in Delaware is looking into his tax affairs
- Hunter Biden, son of President-elect Joe Biden, confirmed Wednesday that his tax affairs are under federal investigation. "I learned yesterday for the first time that the US Attorney's Office in Delaware advised my legal counsel, also yesterday, that they are investigating my tax affairs," he said in...
Nov 25, 2020 4:45 PM CST
After Years of Denials, the NRA Fesses Up
Current and former executives have been abusing funds, the nonprofit says
- Looks like NRA execs really have been taking from the cookie jar. After years of denials, the National Rifle Association now admits that current and former executives—including current CEO Wayne LaPierre—recklessly used NRA funds for their personal enrichment, the
reports. According to a 2019 tax filing,...
Techno-Blasting Nightclubs in
Germany Just Got Good News
Nov 13, 2020 10:53 AM CST
Techno-Blasting Nightclubs in Germany Just Got Good News
Federal court determines techno is indeed music, giving clubs tax break
- Parents often shake their heads at what their kids listen to, proclaiming, "That's not music!" If you're a young person in Germany who loves techno, you can now confidently shoot back: "Oh, yes it is!" That's because the country's financial high court...
CEO Just Bought
a Passport to EU
Nov 10, 2020 8:54 AM CST
Report: Ex-Google CEO Just Bought a Passport to EU
Recode: Eric Schmidt has applied, been approved for citizenship in Cyprus in 'passport for sale' scheme
- Buried within the pages of a publication in Cyprus last month, a tiny notice appeared written in the Greek alphabet, except for one name written in English: "Eric Emerson Schmidt," of Atherton, Calif. That notice in
was an announcement of an application and approval for Cypriot citizenship,...
Have 'a Dirty
Nov 1, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Republicans Have 'a Dirty Little Secret'
Economist Joseph Stiglitz isn't impressed with their tax plan
- President Trump has "a dirty little secret," an economist says: Republicans are about to start raising taxes. That's because the 2017 tax cuts signed by Trump will begin to fade in 2020, at least for people earning $75,000 and under. "For most, in fact, it'...
: Trump Has Previously
Undisclosed Chinese Account
Oct 21, 2020 7:37 AM CDT
: Trump Has Previously Undisclosed Chinese Account
Trump Org lawyer: overseas office that bank account paid taxes for has been inactive since '15
- As President Trump and the GOP try to damage Joe Biden's 2020 campaign by going after his son Hunter , a new revelation could show "a potentially major conflict of interest" for Trump himself, per the
. That disclosure comes via the
New York Times
, which has been doing...
Likely Coming Soon to
NJ: a Millionaires Tax
Sep 18, 2020 9:26 AM CDT
Likely Coming Soon to NJ: a Millionaires Tax
Gov. Phil Murphy's proposal to hike taxes for the rich will likely pass state Legislature
- In what's being called a "historic win for the middle-class," a proposal has been OKed by top New Jersey state Democrats to hike taxes on the rich. The plan, announced Thursday by Democrats Gov. Phil Murphy, Senate President Steve Sweeney, and Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin, would raise...
Filed Your Tax Return on Time?
You Could Get an Extra Check
Aug 19, 2020 12:52 PM CDT
Filed Your Tax Return on Time? You Could Get an Extra Check
If you're owed or received a refund, you'll get a refund interest payment
- Almost 14 million Americans can expect payments from the Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department this week, but those taxpayers won't be using them for major purchases: The IRS says the average interest payment will be around $18. They'll be made to around 13.9 million taxpayers...
Ireland Wins Case, Won't
Have to Take $15B From Apple
Jul 15, 2020 5:21 PM CDT
Ireland Wins Case, Won't Have to Take $15B From Apple
But this legal battle might not be over
- The Irish government has won a European Union court victory, meaning Apple
have to pay it almost $15 billion in back taxes. Europe's second-highest court, the Grand Court in Luxembourg, overturned an earlier ruling that Ireland had given the company illegal tax breaks, the
Trump Blasts Supreme Court
After Rulings on His Records
Jul 9, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Trump Blasts Supreme Court After Rulings on His Records
Court says Manhattan prosecutor can pursue his tax returns, but Congress is rebuffed for now
- The Supreme Court on Thursday gave President Trump some good news (at least temporarily) and some bad news in his fight to keep his financial records private. But the upshot of both rulings is that it's unlikely any of Trump's financial information will be made public before the...
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus
Funds for One Set of Americans
Apr 2, 2020 6:32 AM CDT
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus Funds for One Set of Americans
Social Security recipients won't have to file tax return to get money
- One of the biggest challenges the Treasury Department has in getting Americans their checks from the $2.2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package is tracking down people who don't file tax returns. Now, at least one key group of nonfilers will see that process expedited. The official word, delivered from...
Just Got Pushed Back
Mar 20, 2020 9:43 AM CDT
Tax-Filing Deadline Just Got Pushed Back
Americans now have until July 15
- Taxpayers now have more time to file their taxes amid the coronavirus outbreak: The deadline has been pushed back to July 15 from April 15, said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Friday. "All taxpayers and businesses will have this additional time to file and make payments without interest or...
This Year's Tax-Payment
Deadline Isn't April 15
Mar 17, 2020 1:56 PM CDT
This Year's Tax-Payment Deadline Isn't April 15
Most Americans get 90-day extension
- If you owe Uncle Sam less than $1 million, April 15 is no longer your tax-payment deadline this year. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Tuesday announced a COVID-19 delay that the
Wall Street Journal
calls "unprecedented." Those individuals, as well as businesses that owe no more than $10...
Supreme Court: We'll
Take Up Major Trump Case
Dec 14, 2019 1:30 PM CST
Supreme Court: We'll Take Up Major Trump Case
A ruling could result in the quick release of Trump's personal financial information
- The Supreme Court said Friday it will hear President Donald Trump's pleas to keep his tax, bank, and financial records private, a major confrontation between the president and Congress that also could affect the 2020 presidential campaign, the AP reports. Arguments will take place in late March, and the...
'Horrific' Error Values
Property at Nearly $1B
Dec 7, 2019 1:30 PM CST
'Horrific' Error Values Property at Nearly $1B
And taxpayers might have to pay for it
- Utah officials say a possible dropped phone resulted in a typo that overvalued a home for almost $1 billion, the AP reports. And taxpayers may have to pay for the mistake. The
reports a house built in 1978 in an unincorporated area of the county was recorded in...
Nov 7, 2019 9:50 AM CST
Billionaires Fighting Back Over Warren's Proposals
Bill Gates is the latest to cry foul
- Elizabeth Warren has been taking heat over her progressive policy ideas, not just from President Trump but from Democratic rivals who favor a more moderate approach. Now you can add Bill Gates to her list of critics. At a forum Wednesday, Gates didn't sound thrilled about Warren's idea...
Tax Rates Unveiled
Oct 9, 2019 8:18 AM CDT
2018's 'Maddening' Tax Rates Unveiled
400 richest US households paid lower rate than bottom 50%: economists
- America's richest billionaires paid a lower average tax rate than the working class for the first time in US history in 2018, according to a new study. The book-length research,
The Triumph of Injustice
, comes from Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, the same economists who inspired Elizabeth Warren's...
Sanders Just One-Upped
Warren on a Signature Issue
Sep 24, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Sanders Just One-Upped Warren on a Signature Issue
Sanders' wealth tax proposal would affect more households, raise more revenue: economists
- Elizabeth Warren is suddenly facing competition on the signature issue of her presidential campaign. Enter Bernie Sanders, who on Tuesday unveiled his plan to "substantially reduce wealth inequality in America and stop our democracy from turning into a corrupt oligarchy." Whereas Warren backs a 2% wealth tax on...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Jackass Star Bam Margera Reportedly on Ventilator
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.