Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in the Arctic
Aug 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Camper in the Arctic Injured by Polar Bear
French tourist survives, but bear in Norway is killed
- A polar bear attacked a campsite Monday in Norway's remote Arctic Svalbard Islands, injuring a French tourist, per the AP . Her wounds weren't life-threatening, and the bear was later killed. The woman, who wasn't identified, was part of a tour group of 25 people camping at Sveasletta,...
A Polar Bear
Has Never Been
Seen Here Before
May 4, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
A Polar Bear Has Never Been Seen Here Before
Canadian police kill first polar bear observed on south shore of St. Lawrence River
- A sizable polar bear wandered into a Canadian community some distance from its traditional territory over the weekend before it was shot and killed by police. As the
reports, such incidents are likely to become more common as climate change decimates Arctic sea ice. The 650-pound bear—the first...
He Felt the Polar Bear's
Tooth on His Eye
Aug 18, 2021 7:25 AM CDT
He Felt the Polar Bear's Tooth on His Eye
Elijah Kaernerk recalls terrifying attack in Nunavut, Canada
- Few people know the feeling of a polar bear tooth pressing onto one's eye. Elijah Kaernerk is unfortunately one of them. He'd been warned that a polar bear was nearby while traveling with his partner and sister-in-law to his cabin near Sanirajak on Foxe Basin in Nunavut, Canada,...
A New Type of Bear Is
Gaining Traction: the 'Pizzly'
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
A New Type of Bear Is Gaining Traction: the 'Pizzly'
Hybrid of polar and grizzly bears are becoming more common as habitats overlap
- Polar bears and grizzly bears diverged about 500,000 years ago. Now, a changing planet appears to be bringing them back together. Live Science reports that the two species have been running into each other—and mating—with greater frequency in recent years, resulting in a hybrid bear known as...
Polar Bear Mating
Turns Tragic at Detroit Zoo
Feb 9, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Polar Bear Mating Turns Tragic at Detroit Zoo
'This was completely unexpected'
- Workers at the Detroit Zoo say they're in shock after the death of Anana, a female polar bear killed by a male during an attempt to breed on Monday. The zoo says Anana, a 20-year-old bear who came to the zoo last year, lived with 16-year-old male Nuka for...
They Were Camping in the
Arctic. Then, a 4am Visitor
Aug 28, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
They Were Camping in the Arctic. Then, a 4am Visitor
Polar bear kills one in Norway's Svalbard Islands
- A polar bear attacked a camping site and killed a foreign national in the remote Svalbard Islands on Friday, authorities said, adding that the animal itself was killed as well. The man was rushed to the hospital in Longyearbyen, where he was declared dead by doctors, Deputy Governor Soelvi Elvedah...
Has Grim News
on Polar Bears
Jul 21, 2020 5:17 PM CDT
New Study Has Grim News on Polar Bears
They could be almost completely extinct by 2100
- Polar bears are likely to be almost completely extinct by the end of this century if climate change continues at its current pace, a new study warns. Scientists already knew polar bears were in deep trouble—they depend on sea ice to survive, and sea ice is disappearing—but researchers...
Caught on Video,
a Polar Bear
With a Message
Dec 4, 2019 11:40 AM CST
Caught on Video, a Polar Bear With a Message
'T-34' graffiti on bear in Russia could blow its camouflage, make it hard for it to hunt
- A video showing a graffitied polar bear is making the rounds, and the outrage is about more than aesthetics. The clip of the bear, recorded somewhere in Russia, was first uploaded to Facebook Monday by Sergey Kavry, a World Wildlife Fund worker. The bear is seen trudging over the tundra...
at This Zoo
Nov 30, 2019 9:00 AM CST
Thanksgiving Was Extra-Special at This Zoo
Polar bear born Thursday morning at Ohio's Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
- An Ohio zoo is celebrating the birth of a polar bear cub. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium says the cub, shown in a
video , was born early Thursday morning to 13-year-old Aurora, per the AP . "The #ColumbusZoo is #thankful to welcome a new polar bear cub born...
In This City, a Visitor Not Seen
for More Than 40 Years
Jun 19, 2019 12:29 PM CDT
In This City, a Visitor Not Seen for More Than 40 Years
Tired, hungry-looking polar bear turned up in Norilsk, Russia
- For more than 40 years, there's been no sign of polar bears in Siberia's Norilsk. That changed this week, with Russia's northernmost city putting out a warning notice Tuesday to residents that one had been spotted wandering around in the suburbs, way south of its natural habitat,...
Polar Bear Killed in Attack
on Cruise Ship Guard
Jul 29, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
Polar Bear Killed in Attack on Cruise Ship Guard
It's high season in Arctic tourism
- Norwegian authorities said a polar bear on Saturday attacked and injured a polar bear guard who was leading tourists off a cruise ship on an Arctic archipelago. The polar bear was shot dead by another employee. The Joint Rescue Coordination for Northern Norway tweeted that the attack occurred when the...
Dad Dies Protecting
Kids From Polar Bear
Jul 5, 2018 6:01 AM CDT
Dad Dies Protecting Kids From Polar Bear
Nunavut man encountered animal while gathering eggs
- The first person killed by a polar bear in Canada's Nunavut territory for 18 years is being hailed as a hero. Aaron Gibbons, 31, put himself between the bear and his three young children when he encountered the animal on Sentry Island, around six miles from the Hudson Bay...
Apr 25, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
World's First 'Tropical Polar Bear' Euthanized
Singapore Zoo said 27-year-old Inuka had too many age-related ailments to live comfortably
- Inuka, the world's first polar bear born in the tropics, was euthanized Wednesday by the Singapore Zoo, officials say. The 27-year-old bear suffered from age-related ailments including arthritis, and his limbs became too weak to support his 1,100-pound-plus frame, per the AP . The zoo said this resulted in...
Study Reveals More
Bad News for Polar Bears
Feb 2, 2018 6:34 PM CST
Study Reveals More Bad News for Polar Bears
They appear to require more food than previously believed
- An already bleak future for polar bears may have just gotten worse. A study published this week in
found the endangered species may need much more energy to survive than previously believed.
reports researchers used radio collars and blood samples to track the energy needs and movements...
As Sea Ice Dwindles,
Polar Bear Attacks Rise
Jul 12, 2017 5:29 PM CDT
As Sea Ice Dwindles, Polar Bear Attacks Rise
20% of polar bear attacks happened in last 5 years of 144-year study
- There were only 73 reported polar bear attacks on humans between 1870 and 2014, according to a study published this month in
Wildlife Society Bulletin
. But 20% of those attacks happened in just the last five years of the study, and
Alaska Dispatch News
reports researchers have found a correlation...
PETA on SeaWorld
Polar Bear: 'She Gave Up'
Apr 19, 2017 3:33 AM CDT
PETA on SeaWorld Polar Bear: 'She Gave Up'
Szenja, 21, died suddenly in San Diego, and PETA says it was from 'broken heart'
- The only polar bear resident at SeaWorld San Diego died unexpectedly on Tuesday, and while the marine park says the death of 21-year-old Szenja will be investigated, PETA says it knows what killed her: a "broken heart." The animal rights activists objected strongly in February when SeaWorld separated...
Video of Polar Bear
Petting Dog Goes Viral.
Now the Bad News
Nov 18, 2016 11:51 AM CST
Video of Polar Bear Petting Dog Goes Viral. Now the Bad News
A bear on Canadian landowner's property ate one of his chained-up sled dogs
- A video of a polar bear petting a sled dog that went viral seemed heartwarming, but a new development casts the interaction in a different light. The Dodo has updated its initial post on the incident, which took place near Churchill in Manitoba. The video was shot on property belonging...
World's 'Saddest Polar
Bear' Moved, for Now
Nov 14, 2016 7:02 AM CST
World's 'Saddest Polar Bear' Moved, for Now
Pizza to be temporarily moved from Chinese mall—but advocates want him out of there permanently
- Pizza the polar bear will soon "feel the sun on his fur, sniff fresh air, and see the sky above him." That per a statement from Humane Society International, announcing the transfer of the "world's saddest polar bear" from its controversial quarters in a Chinese mall,...
Polar Bear' Lives
in Chinese Mall
Jul 18, 2016 4:50 PM CDT
'World's Saddest Polar Bear' Lives in Chinese Mall
Activists want it closed
- His name is Pizza and he lives in a Chinese mall where visitors pose for selfies next to his glass enclosure and knock loudly to get his attention. Such is life when you're the "world's saddest polar bear," per the
. Pizza , a polar bear...
Mar 16, 2016 2:33 PM CDT
Zoo Locked Down After Polar Bear Escapes
'This kind of stuff happens'
- It was a bear-y close call Wednesday at the Cincinnati Zoo when a female polar bear named Berit escaped her exhibit, the
reports. According to WLWT , the bear got out of its exhibit into an interior hallway but never left the staff-only building. Regardless, visitors were herded into...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.