Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Guy Running for
Santos' Old Seat
Guilty of Jan. 6 Charges
Dec 8, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Guy Running for Santos' Old Seat Guilty of Jan. 6 Charges
Philip Sean Grillo was filmed smoking weed inside the US Capitol on Jan. 6
- One of the people running to replace George Santos , who just became only the sixth lawmaker to ever be booted from the House of Representatives , has his own controversial past: Philip Sean Grillo was found guilty this week of charges related to his participation in the Jan. 6, 2021, assault...
House Censures Democrat
Bowman Over Fire Alarm
Dec 7, 2023 12:13 PM CST
House Censures Democrat Bowman Over Fire Alarm
New York congressman says he triggered it accidentally during shutdown scramble
- House members voted again Thursday to punish one of their own, targeting Democratic Rep. Jamaal Bowman for triggering a fire alarm in one of the Capitol office buildings when the chamber was in session. The Republican censure resolution passed with some Democratic votes, but most Democrats stood by Bowman in...
Special Election for
Santos' Seat Could Get Feisty
Dec 6, 2023 1:30 PM CST
Special Election for Santos' Seat Could Get Feisty
Dems are looking to flip the district in hopes of flipping the House
- A special election to pick a successor to George Santos, the New York Republican who was expelled from the US House last week, will be held on Feb. 13, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced Tuesday. The race for a seat representing some Long Island suburbs and a small part of the...
Santos' Cameo Earnings
Exceed His House Salary
Dec 6, 2023 8:59 AM CST
Santos' Cameo Earnings Exceed His House Salary
Disgraced ex-congressman brought in 6 figures making video messages in just the first 48 hours
- Sen. John Fetterman and others are having fun with George Santos' new Cameo career, but the former GOP congressman may be the one having the last laugh. Santos' House salary stood at $174,000, and Semafor reports he has "lined up more than that sum" in just his first...
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20
for a Santos Troll Video
Dec 5, 2023 6:20 AM CST
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Dem senator paid ex-GOP congressman to send a message to fellow Dem Bob Menendez
- George Santos already has some high-profile names shelling out for his personalized video messages on Cameo, including on Capitol Hill. CNN reports that Democratic Sen. John Fetterman purchased one of the former GOP congressman's videos, using the opportunity to troll fellow Dem Bob Menendez—the senator from New Jersey...
Next: George Santos, the Movie
Dec 3, 2023 11:15 AM CST
Next: George Santos, the Movie
HBO project is based on book published last week
- The "Gatsby-esque journey of a man from nowhere who exploited the system, waged war on truth and swindled one of the wealthiest districts in the country to achieve his American Dream" sounds worthy of a movie. Or so figures HBO, which is developing a film based on the political...
Santos: 'I No Longer Have
to Answer a Single Question'
Dec 1, 2023 12:04 PM CST
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
The freshly expelled congressman leaves the Capitol after House vote
- "The new whole number of the House is 434," declared somber House Speaker Mike Johnson on Friday morning. As in, no longer 435 because the chamber voted in historic fashion to expel GOP Rep. George Santos . So now what? Coverage:
Santos was stripped of his
Is Expelled From Congress
Dec 1, 2023 10:03 AM CST
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Enough Republicans join Democrats in historic vote to boot him from the chamber
- George Santos is out. The House on Friday voted 311-114 to expel him from the chamber, making him only the sixth member of Congress in history to earn that particular distinction. The New York Republican had survived two previous expulsion votes, but his fate was sealed when the House Ethics...
Thursday Could Be
Santos' Day of Reckoning
Nov 29, 2023 11:52 AM CST
Thursday Could Be Santos' Day of Reckoning
House will vote on expelling him, though Mike Johnson has 'real reservations about doing this'
- Rep. George Santos has survived two votes to expel him from the House, but Thursday could be his day of reckoning. House Speaker Mike Johnson says the House will vote Thursday on ejecting Santos after a damning report from the House Ethics Committee; Johnson says he will allow fellow Republicans...
Santos: 'I Know I'm Going
to Get Expelled'
Nov 26, 2023 7:32 AM CST
Santos: 'I Know I'm Going to Get Expelled'
Unapologetic congressman lashes out against his colleagues on Capitol Hill
- George Santos said he expects to be expelled from Congress following a scathing report by the House Ethics Committee that found substantial evidence of lawbreaking by the New York Republican. In a defiant speech sprinkled with taunts and obscenities aimed at his congressional colleagues, Santos insisted he was "not...
Santos Rung Up on
3rd Expulsion Resolution
Nov 17, 2023 11:23 AM CST
Santos Rung Up on 3rd Expulsion Resolution
It's the 'most appropriate punishment,' says House Ethics Committee Chair Michael Guest
- George Santos has survived two attempts to expel him from Congress, but can he escape a third? Less than 24 hours after the House Ethics Committee issued a damning report accusing the New York Republican of stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign funds— purportedly used on personal trips,...
Campaign Funds On
Nov 17, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Here's What George Santos Allegedly Used Campaign Funds On
Amid growing controversy, congressman will not seek reelection (but is still not stepping down)
- More details are coming out from the scathing House Ethics Committee report on George Santos. According to the report, it wasn't just Botox and a trip to Atlantic City that Santos spent campaign funds on: Per NBC News and the
New York Times
, other alleged expenditures included small purchases...
After Scathing Ethics Report,
Santos Won't Seek Reelection
Nov 16, 2023 10:56 AM CST
After Scathing Ethics Report, Santos Won't Seek Reelection
House ethics panel finds 'substantial evidence' he broke federal laws
- George Santos says he won't be running for reelection to Congress in the wake of a devastating House Ethics panel report. Not that he's contrite: In a long post on X , Santos called the report a "disgusting politicized smear," per the
. Near the end...
Nov 14, 2023 6:15 PM CST
Ex-Santos Fundraiser Admits Impersonating Congressional Aide
Sam Miele pleads guilty to fraud
- A former fundraiser for Rep. George Santos pleaded guilty Tuesday to a federal wire fraud charge, admitting he impersonated a high-ranking congressional aide while raising campaign cash for the embattled New York Republican. Sam Miele was caught soliciting donations in late 2021 under the alias Dan Meyer, then chief of...
Expulsion Wouldn't Stop Him
From Running, Santos Says
Nov 4, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Expulsion Wouldn't Stop Him From Running, Santos Says
Republican, who faces federal charges, argues nobody cares about his falsified resume
- His colleagues may think they can kick Rep. George Santos out of the Congress, but his exile could be brief. A vote to expel the indicted New York freshman fell short on Wednesday night, but opponents could try again. Santos said Friday that if he does lose his seat before...
Nov 1, 2023 7:40 PM CDT
House Votes to Keep Santos
Republicans help block censure of Tlaib
- Rep. George Santos easily survived a vote to expel him from the House on Wednesday night as most Republicans opted to withhold punishment while both his criminal trial and a House Ethics Committee investigation proceed. A resolution to censure Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib over her criticism of Israel also was...
Santos Pleads Not Guilty
to New Fraud Charges
Oct 27, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Santos Pleads Not Guilty to New Fraud Charges
As his GOP colleagues from New York try to expel him from Congress
- Rep. George Santos pleaded not guilty Friday to revised charges accusing him of several frauds, including making tens of thousands of dollars in unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his campaign donors. The New York Republican appeared at a Long Island courthouse, where a lawyer entered the...
Dems Tried, Now GOP Takes
a Swing at Booting Santos
Oct 27, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Dems Tried, Now GOP Takes a Swing at Booting Santos
New York Republicans make good on threat to make a motion to expel freshman congressman
- Earlier this month, a group of House Republicans announced they'd seek to purge a fellow New York congressman from their ranks, with one calling Rep. George Santos "a stain on the institution." Now, they're making good on their plans. The Hill reports that on Thursday, Rep....
Group of GOP Colleagues
to Push for Expelling Santos
Oct 11, 2023 7:50 PM CDT
Group of GOP Colleagues to Push for Expelling Santos
'He's a stain,' one of the New York Republicans says
- A half-dozen Republican House members from New York said Wednesday they'll seek to have Rep. George Santos expelled from Congress. "He's a stain on the institution," said Rep. Anthony D'Esposito, who represents the district next to Santos.' House Democrats were unsuccessful in their attempt...
Oct 5, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Nancy Marks, Treasurer for George Santos, Pleads Guilty
Lawyer says she'll cooperate on the case if asked
- Nancy Marks, who served as treasurer for Republican Rep. George Santos' congressional campaign, pleaded guilty to a federal conspiracy charge on Thursday. Federal prosecutors said Marks filed the names of false donors to a congressional campaign in an effort to inflate the amount of money donated so Santos could qualify...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
New Army Sniper Is a First
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.