Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Preps for a
Sep 28, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Kari Lake Preps for a New Fight
Republican to announce run for Arizona Senate seat next month, per 'WSJ'
- While still appealing her loss in last year's Arizona gubernatorial race, Kari Lake will mount a new fight—to snag Kyrsten Sinema's Senate seat. The former TV news anchor tells the
Wall Street Journal
that she'll launch her campaign with a rally on Oct. 10, setting up...
Arizona GOPer on Lake Suit:
She Must Be 'Held Accountable'
Jun 23, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
Arizona GOPer on Lake Suit: She Must Be 'Held Accountable'
Maricopa County recorder Stephen Richer says ex-governor candidate's lies hurt him, many others
- Like an Energizer Bunny custom-built for election denialism, Kari Lake continues to press on with her repeatedly debunked claim that Arizona's governor seat was stolen from her last November. Now she's being sued for her false remarks, by a fellow Arizona Republican who says he's had enough...
Big Question in Miami:
Will Tuesday Be Violent?
Jun 12, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Big Question in Miami: Will Tuesday Be Violent?
Supporters of Donald Trump are ramping up the rhetoric ahead of his court appearance
- Donald Trump is due to appear in federal court in Miami at 3pm ET Tuesday over his unprecedented federal indictment . The former president himself called for protests over the weekend in an interview with longtime ally Roger Stone—"our country has to protest," he declared, per
Jun 2, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
Kari Lake's New Song Just Dropped
GOPer releases '81 Million Votes, My A--,' announces appeal of Arizona gubernatorial loss
- Kari Lake's protracted challenge to last year's gubernatorial race in Arizona, which the GOP candidate lost to Democrat Katie Hobbs, seemed to finally be over last month, after Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Peter Thompson dismissed her only remaining legal challenge on the matter. But the former news...
Kari Lake's Final
May 23, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Judge Dismisses Kari Lake's Final Election Claim
Long-running election challenge to Arizona's gubernatorial race is over
- A judge on Monday dismissed the only remaining legal claim in Republican Kari Lake's challenge of her loss in last year's race for Arizona governor, reports the AP , affirming the election of Democrat Katie Hobbs. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Peter A. Thompson said Lake failed to prove...
Kari Lake's Last
Legal Hail Mary
May 17, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Kari Lake's Last Legal Hail Mary Gets Underway
Arizona Supreme Court takes up signature verification on early ballots in Maricopa County
- Kari Lake lost the race for the Arizona governor's mansion to Democrat Katie Hobbs by more than 17,000 votes in November. Six months later, her final legal challenge to the results gets underway Wednesday in the form of a three-day trial. As the AP reports, courts have dismissed...
Kari Lake Gets
Mostly Bad News From
Arizona Supreme Court
Mar 23, 2023 12:28 AM CDT
Kari Lake Gets Mostly Bad News From Arizona Supreme Court
High court dismisses 6 of her 7 election claims, sends one back to a lower court
- The Arizona Supreme Court has declined to hear most of Republican Kari Lake’s appeal in a challenge of her defeat in the governor’s race, but revived a claim that was dismissed by a trial court, the AP reports. In an order Wednesday, the state’s highest court said...
After Losing Appeal, Kari Lake
Has a Message: 'Buckle Up!'
Feb 17, 2023 1:00 AM CST
After Losing Appeal, Kari Lake Has a Message: 'Buckle Up!'
Says she'll take challenge of her defeat in governor’s race to Arizona Supreme Court
- An Arizona appeals court has rejected Republican Kari Lake’s challenge of her defeat in the Arizona governor’s race to Democrat Katie Hobbs, denying her request to throw out election results in the state’s most populous county and hold the election again. In a ruling on Thursday, the...
Jan 23, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Democrats Now Face Tough Choice in Arizona
Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego will challenge newly independent Sen. Kyrsten Sinema
- About a month after Kyrsten Sinema surprised Washington by leaving the Democratic party to become an independent, a big consequence: Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego said Monday that he planned to run for her Senate seat in Arizona in 2024, reports the Hill . His move sets up a likely three-way race...
Judge Makes a Decision
on Kari Lake Sanctions
Dec 28, 2022 6:37 AM CST
Judge Makes a Decision on Kari Lake Sanctions
He doesn't sanction her, but does order her to pay Katie Hobbs $33K
- An Arizona judge declined to sanction Kari Lake, but he did order her to pay Katie Hobbs $33,040.50 in compensation for expert witness fees. The judge also reaffirmed Hobbs' election as the next governor of the state; Hobbs had asked for Lake to be sanctioned over her filing...
After Kari Lake's Court Loss,
Opponent Wants Her to Pay Up
Dec 27, 2022 1:44 AM CST
After Kari Lake's Court Loss, Opponent Wants Her to Pay Up
Katie Hobbs is asking a court to sanction Lake $550K
- Katie Hobbs wants Kari Lake and her lawyers to pay for what Hobbs, the governor-elect of Arizona, calls a "frivolous" (and ultimately unsuccessful ) lawsuit challenging the results of November's gubernatorial election. Hobbs, along with Maricopa County, on Monday asked a judge to sanction Lake and her legal...
Judge Rejects Challenge
to Kari Lake's Election Loss
Dec 24, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Judge Rejects Challenge to Kari Lake's Election Loss
Ruling says Arizona court heard no clear evidence, only speculation
- An Arizona judge on Saturday threw out Republican Kari Lake's lawsuit challenging her loss in the state's election for governor. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Peter Thompson said in his ruling that the witnesses Lake presented had no firsthand knowledge of intentional misconduct by election officials, which Lake...
Kari Lake Sues
to Overturn Election Loss
Dec 10, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Kari Lake Sues to Overturn Election Loss
Trump ally makes good on promise to challenge Katie Hobbs' win as Arizona's next governor
- Kari Lake promised last month that her fight for the Arizona governorship wasn't over, and on Friday she made good on that promise. The Trump ally filed a civil complaint Friday in Maricopa County that, per ABC News , seeks "unprecedented and likely unlawful relief of fully overturning the...
Arizona Certifies 2022 Election
Dec 5, 2022 2:47 PM CST
Arizona Certifies 2022 Election
Lawsuits, recounts expected
- Arizona's top officials certified the midterm election results Monday, formalizing victories for Democrats over Republicans who falsely claimed the 2020 election was rigged. The certification opens a five-day window for formal election challenges. Republican Kari Lake, who lost the race for governor, is expected to file a lawsuit after...
Ducey Launches Transition,
Though Lake Hasn't Conceded
Nov 23, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Ducey Launches Transition, Though Lake Hasn't Conceded
'The people of Arizona have spoken,' GOP governor says
- Outgoing Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey said Wednesday his Republican administration will ensure an orderly transition to Democrat Katie Hobbs, his first public statement on her victory. Ducey met with Hobbs in his office more than a week after her victory became clear and days after the last ballots were counted,...
Liz Cheney Gets
the Last Word
in Kari Lake Loss
Nov 15, 2022 6:44 AM CST
Liz Cheney Gets the Last Word in Kari Lake Loss
Or at least the latest word, with a 'you're welcome' tweet
- When Liz Cheney crossed parties and campaigned against Republican Kari Lake in the Arizona governor's race, Lake reveled in it. At the time, the Trump-backed candidate issued a public letter thanking Cheney for coming out against her. “In fact, my team telIs me your commercial should add another...
Kari Lake's Team Wrestles With
How to React If She Loses
Nov 14, 2022 7:35 PM CST
Kari Lake's Team Wrestles With How to React If She Loses
Advisers urge Trump ally not to claim the election was stolen
- With a Republican victory looking more unlikely in the Arizona governor's race, advisers are urging Kari Lake not to claim the election was stolen if she loses to Democrat Katie Hobbs. The GOP nominee's aides spent the weekend in a "war room" at a resort in Scottsdale,...
Cops Have News
Envelopes at Lake
Nov 12, 2022 6:00 AM CST
Cops Have News on 'Suspicious' Envelopes at Lake Campaign HQ
'No substance inside,' Phoenix police say, though Lake campaign says original envelope was tossed
- "No substance inside." That's the final word from the Phoenix Police Department over "suspicious" envelopes confiscated last week from the campaign headquarters of Kari Lake, the GOP candidate for Arizona governor, reports KTAR . A police spokeswoman says items taken by authorities from Lake's HQ, after...
Arizona Polls Close After
Judge Refuses to Extend Hours
Nov 8, 2022 8:19 PM CST
Arizona Polls Close After Judge Refuses to Extend Hours
Kari Lake hasn't said whether she'll accept a loss
- Polls have closed in Arizona, where a judge denied an emergency motion from the Republican National Commitee to extend voting hours in Maricopa County because of problems with ballot tabulators , reports ABC15 . Kari Lake, the Republican candidate for governor, cast her ballot at a site she called "the heart...
Kari Lake May Accept Only
One Result on Election Night
Oct 17, 2022 1:42 PM CDT
Kari Lake May Accept Only One Result on Election Night
Arizona governor candidate won't commit to accepting a loss in her race
- Kari Lake, the Republican candidate for governor in Arizona, refused to tell CNN’s Dana Bash whether she will accept the results of November’s election if she loses. Per the
Arizona Republic ,
Lake twice told Bash during a Sunday interview , “I’m going to win the election and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Philadelphia Journalist Shot Dead at Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.