Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Obama, Biden Have Same
Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
Feb 27, 2020 7:03 AM CST
Obama, Biden Have Same Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
- Barack Obama has remained relatively quiet on the political scene in the years since he left the Oval Office—but he's voicing his displeasure with an ad attacking his former VP. CNN reports that the law office representing Obama sent a cease-and-desist letter Wednesday to a GOP super PAC...
Most Talked About
Super Bowl Ads
Feb 3, 2020 6:23 AM CST
This Year's Most Talked About Super Bowl Ads
Mr. Peanut is apparently alive
- This year's Super Bowl featured dueling ads from President Trump and Michael Bloomberg—but there was a lot more buzz around Mr. Peanut. In a commercial that features in numerous lists of both the best and worst ads from the big game, mourners, including fellow mascots Mr. Clean and...
Makes Big Move
on Social Media
Feb 3, 2020 6:12 AM CST
Stephen King Makes Big Move on Social Media
Author has quit Facebook over concerns on 'false information,' privacy
- Last month, Facebook decided it wasn't going to bar or fact-check political ads during this election season, nor keep those ads from being targeted to certain groups of people. Now, partly based on that, Stephen King has made his own decision: He has left the social media site for...
KFC Sorry for
Ad in Which Boys
Gawk at Cleavage
in case you missed it
Jan 25, 2020 3:14 PM CST
KFC Sorry for Ad in Which Boys Gawk at Cleavage
No word on whether 15-second ad will be pulled in Australia
- KFC has apologized over a "sexist" ad released in Australia, showing two young boys gaping at a woman in a low-cut top. The woman is seen adjusting her top while looking at her reflection in the tinted window of a parked car, which suddenly slides down to show the...
Pepsi Hopes a New
Jan 2, 2020 1:57 PM CST
Pepsi Hopes a New Tagline Sticks
Company says 'That's What I Like' is the first new one in US in 20 years
- Pepsi is rolling out what it says is its first US tagline in 20 years: "That's What I Like." The company is introducing it in a round of new commercials, notes Ad Age , and it promises to stick with it in the hope it might have the...
Hallmark Reinstates Ads
With Same-Sex Couples
Dec 16, 2019 4:16 AM CST
Hallmark Reinstates Ads With Same-Sex Couples
Company is 'truly sorry' for 'wrong decision'
- The Hallmark Channel, reversing what it called a "wrong decision," said Sunday it will reinstate commercials featuring same-sex couples that it had pulled following a complaint from a conservative group . The earlier decision by Crown Media, the Hallmark Channel's parent company, to pull several ads for the...
for Hubbub on
Dec 12, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Peloton Actress Places Blame for Hubbub on Her Face
Monica Ruiz says she may have spurred outrage because character's eyebrows looked 'worried'
- She starred in an ad for a stationary bike that ended up going viral—and now Monica Ruiz says she thinks she knows why. Ruiz, a mom of two, is the actress in the infamous Peloton commercial , in which she plays a thin, apparently affluent woman receiving one of the...
A Peloton Ad Goes Viral,
Not Exactly in a Good Way
Dec 7, 2019 1:00 PM CST
A Peloton Ad Goes Viral, Not Exactly in a Good Way
It's being ridiculed on social media as sexist, elitist, and generally cringe-inducing
- If the old adage of "all publicity is good publicity" is true, then Peloton has a terrific ad on its hands. If the opinions of lots of people on social media count for anything, the ad is closer to a sexist, elitist, cringe-inducing dud. Either way, the spot for...
Widely Criticized Ad
Dec 5, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Peloton Defends Widely Criticized Ad
'We're disappointed in how some have misinterpreted this commercial'
- It's been criticized as sexist , compared to an episode of
, and linked to a steep drop in the company's share price—but Peloton is standing by its controversial holiday ad . The ad, which can be seen here , features a woman, who is already slim when she...
$100M on Anti-Trump Ads
Nov 16, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Bloomberg Drops $100M on Anti-Trump Ads
Yet he hasn't committed to a presidential run
- Got $100 million? Neither do we—but Michael Bloomberg does. The billionaire and former New York City mayor is planning to spend that much on anti-Trump ads as he mulls a run for president, the Hill reports. The ads will target Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Arizona, and Michigan, four states the Dems...
Juul Honcho Is
Out as Ads Halt
Sep 25, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Juul Honcho Is Out as Ads Halt
Company says it won't lobby against proposed ban on some e-cigarettes
- E-cigarette maker Juul has a new face at the helm with the vaping industry falling under greater scrutiny. The company announced Wednesday that CEO Kevin Burns will be replaced by KC Crosthwaite, who currently serves as senior vice president for chief strategy and growth at tobacco giant Altria, reports the...
NRA Sues Ad Agency Behind
'Cold, Dead Hands' Campaign
Apr 16, 2019 10:42 AM CDT
NRA Sues Ad Agency Behind 'Cold, Dead Hands' Campaign
Gun group accuses longtime ad firm Ackerman McQueen over billing transparency
- The National Rifle Association has sued its longtime advertising agency, accusing the company that has helped shape its Second Amendment advocacy of withholding crucial financial details in billing documents. The lawsuit filed Friday in Alexandria, Virginia, says Oklahoma City-based Ackerman McQueen is contractually bound to show backing paperwork on its...
'Trivago Guy' Charged With
Driving While Intoxicated
Apr 12, 2019 1:13 AM CDT
'Trivago Guy' Charged With Driving While Intoxicated
Cops say he was passed out behind wheel
- Travel website Trivago might be looking for a new pitchman: Actor Tim Williams, who appeared as the rumpled "Trivago Guy" in numerous ads for the company, was arrested in Houston this week and charged with driving while intoxicated. Police say the 52-year-old failed a field sobriety test after officers...
Warren Ads Calling for
Yanked by Facebook
Mar 12, 2019 7:32 AM CDT
Warren Ads Calling for Facebook Breakup Yanked by Facebook
Citing modified logo, company will restore ads to allow 'robust debate'
- Facebook may have inadvertently illustrated Elizabeth Warren's point about the consolidation of power by tech giants like itself. The social media company removed numerous ads calling for the breakup of Facebook, Amazon, and Google, published Friday by Warren's presidential campaign. "They've bulldozed competition, used our private...
Bud Light Super Bowl Ad
Delivers Epic Surprise
Feb 4, 2019 6:50 AM CST
Bud Light Super Bowl Ad Delivers Epic Surprise
Here are this year's most talked-about ads
- The ads provided some much-needed entertainment during the lowest-scoring Super Bowl in history —especially a Bud Light ad that took a very dark turn. The ad, set at a medieval jousting match, was "hijacked" by HBO's
Game of Thrones
to promote its final season, with the skull-crushing...
As Men Ditch Their Gillettes,
the Company Responds
Jan 17, 2019 11:15 AM CST
As Men Ditch Their Gillettes, the Company Responds
'We weren’t trying to court controversy,' says company exec of new ad
- A new Gillette ad has provoked a huge reaction on social media, but perhaps not precisely in the way parent company Procter & Gamble anticipated. As NPR notes, the ad accusing men of boorish behavior and urging them to end it has roughly twice as many dislikes as likes on...
Men Vow to
Over #MeToo Ad
Jan 15, 2019 6:36 AM CST
Men Vow to Boycott Gillette Over #MeToo Ad
'We Believe' demands 'the best men can be'
- A company known for its razor blades is getting shredded over a new ad encouraging men to be on their best behavior. Gillette's "We Believe," viewed nearly 3 million times on YouTube since Sunday, begins with scenes of bullying, sexual harassment, and aggressive male behavior, asking, "...
New David's Bridal Ad
Is 'Rewriting the Rules'
Jan 10, 2019 5:40 PM CST
New David's Bridal Ad Is 'Rewriting the Rules'
30-second spot is company's first featuring same-sex couple
- David's Bridal is debuting a new TV ad that the company hopes will show "we value every type of bride." That's per Liz Crystal, David's Bridal's chief marketing officer, who details for
how the company is "rewriting the rules" with its...
Want a Burger King Whopper
for a Penny? Go to McDonald's
Dec 4, 2018 10:25 AM CST
Want a Burger King Whopper for a Penny? Go to McDonald's
New ad campaign adds a twist with 'geofencing'
is calling Burger King's new ad campaign "clever" and "irreverent" because of its unusual premise. It requires customers to go to McDonald's—if not inside one, at least within 600 feet of one. At that point, they open the Burger King app, which reroutes...
Unhappy Dad Sues
McDonald's Over Happy Meals
Nov 20, 2018 9:05 AM CST
Unhappy Dad Sues McDonald's Over Happy Meals
Father's complaint on toys cites Quebec law against marketing to kids under 13
- Antonio Bramante doesn't see the "happy" in one of McDonald's most famous offerings. The Canadian dad of three says he's cajoled every couple of weeks to take his little ones to McDonald's, and he figures he's forked over hundreds of dollars on Happy Meals....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Jackass Star Bam Margera Reportedly on Ventilator
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.