Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Jan. 6 hearings
Stories 21 - 40 |
Trump Pushed Back
on Tweeting 'Any Sort
of Mention of Peace'
Jul 21, 2022 10:25 PM CDT
Trump Pushed Back on Tweeting 'Any Sort of Mention of Peace'
Then-POTUS finally agreed to a line from Ivanka about staying 'peaceful'
- Former President Trump was resistant to one word in particular, according to testimony at Thursday night's House Jan. 6 hearing: peace. Former White House deputy press secretary Sarah Matthews testified that as aides tried to convince Trump to condemn the violence at the Capitol on the afternoon of Jan....
Witness: Pence Security Team
Called Family to Say Goodbye
Jul 21, 2022 9:01 PM CDT
Witness: Pence Security Team Called Family to Say Goodbye
Agents feared for their lives on Jan. 6, witness tells panel
- Just how dicey did things get in regard to Mike Pence on Jan. 6, 2021? Members of the vice president's Secret Service security team "were starting to fear for their own lives," a witness whose identity was not revealed told the panel, per CNN . "There were...
Jan. 6 Panel
Jul 21, 2022 8:36 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel Draws Laughter With Footage of Hawley
Senator is shown running to safety after earlier making a famous fist toward protesters
- On the afternoon of Jan. 6, 2021, GOP Sen. Josh Hawley famously made a fist—an apparent show of solidarity—toward protesters outside the Capitol. The gesture "riled up" the crowd, a Capitol Police officer told the Jan. 6 House panel, per NBC News . In fact, barriers outside the...
Trump's White House Counsel:
My Pleas Went Unheeded
Jul 21, 2022 8:16 PM CDT
Trump's White House Counsel: My Pleas Went Unheeded
Pat Cipollone says he pushed on Jan. 6 for the president to address rioters early
- In making the case that then-President Trump ignored the pleas of top aides to intervene in the riot, the Jan. 6 panel played testimony from former White House counsel Pat Cipollone, notes the Hill .
“I think I was pretty clear there needed to be an immediate and forceful response,
Kinzinger: Trump Didn't 'Fail'
to Act, He 'Chose' Not to Do So
Jul 21, 2022 7:48 PM CDT
Kinzinger: Trump Didn't 'Fail' to Act, He 'Chose' Not to Do So
Jan. 6 House panel begins prime-time hearing
- In her introduction to Thursday's prime-time hearing of the Jan. 6 House panel, Democratic Rep. Elaine Luria of Virginia laid out the main theme: Former President Trump, she said, sat in the White House and watched the riot unfold on television while ignoring the pleas of aides and family...
In Bannon Trial, It's Already
Time for Closing Arguments
Jul 21, 2022 4:04 PM CDT
In Bannon Trial, It's Already Time for Closing Arguments
Lawyers call for acquittal, arguing prosecution didn't prove contempt charge
- Lawyers for Trump ally Steve Bannon did not call any witnesses and declined to have him testify in his contempt of Congress trial on Thursday. Instead, they argued the judge should just acquit him, saying prosecutors didn't prove their case. The decision to forego calling any witnesses in Bannon'...
Cheney: Hearings May Be
'Most Important Thing I Ever Do'
Jul 21, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Cheney: Hearings May Be 'Most Important Thing I Ever Do'
Jan. 6 panel has a prime-time public hearing Thursday
- The Jan. 6 panel will be back in session Thursday with a prime-time hearing focusing on what former President Trump did—and didn't—do on the day of the riot . As NBC News reports, Thursday's 8pm Eastern session will focus on 187 minutes in particular, a stretch lasting...
Focus of Primetime Jan. 6
Hearing: Trump's Inaction
Jul 21, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Focus of Primetime Jan. 6 Hearing: Trump's Inaction
Committee to argue Trump wanted the violence, struggled to condemn it
- The House select committee investigating the events of Jan. 6, 2021, returns to primetime Thursday. In its 8pm ET hearing, the panel will argue then-President Trump failed to act to defend the Capitol over 187 excruciating minutes: from the time he wrapped up his speech at the Ellipse at 1:...
Secret Service Finds 1 Text.
'I Smell a Rat,' Raskin Says
Jul 20, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Secret Service Finds 1 Text. 'I Smell a Rat,' Raskin Says
Jan. 6 committee member finds agency's loss of messages an odd coincidence
- A subpoena for Secret Service text messages issued by the House committee investigating the Capitol attack has yielded precisely one transmission. The communication turned over was a request for help sent Jan. 6 by Steven Sund, a Capitol police officer at the time. "That's all that we have,...
Texts Secret Service Agents
Didn't Back Up Are Gone
Jul 20, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Texts Secret Service Agents Didn't Back Up Are Gone
Agents were apparently tasked with determining what to back up during phone migration
The House Jan. 6 committee said late Tuesday that it received a letter from the Secret Service confirming the text messages the panel was seeking are gone for good. The letter also confirmed the deletion occurred during a planned phone migration that occurred shortly after the Capitol attack, reports...
Chair of Jan. 6 Panel
Tests Positive for COVID
Jul 19, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Chair of Jan. 6 Panel Tests Positive for COVID
But Thursday night's prime-time hearing is still going forward, despite Bennie Thompson's illness
- Rep. Bennie Thompson, chairman of the House Jan. 6 committee, has tested positive for COVID-19, but the panel will still hold its prime-time hearing on Thursday, according to a spokesman for the panel. Thompson announced Tuesday that he tested positive for the virus on Monday and is experiencing mild symptoms,...
2 Trump Aides
After Jan. 6
Jul 19, 2022 7:46 AM CDT
2 Trump Aides Who Resigned After Jan. 6 Expected at Next Hearing
Sources: Ex-NSC official Matthew Pottinger, ex-deputy press secretary Sarah Matthews to testify
- An ex-National Security Council official and former White House comms official who served under former President Trump—both of whom resigned shortly after the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol—are said to be on the docket for Thursday's hearing on the matter. Sources tell CNN that Matthew...
It's a Big Day
for Steve Bannon
Jul 18, 2022 7:52 AM CDT
It's a Big Day for Steve Bannon
Jury selection is scheduled to begin in his rare contempt of Congress case
- Steve Bannon's big day in court is still on track to begin Monday, though the possibility of a last-minute plea remains very much on the table. Coverage:
Bannon faces rare contempt of Congress charges for failing to appear before the Jan. 6 House panel last fall despite being
Secret Service Over
Jul 16, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
Committee Subpoenas Secret Service Over Text Messages
Agency says it will answer Jan. 6 panel quickly
: The House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol has issued a subpoena for Secret Service text messages sent on Jan. 5 and 6, 2021. The committee had been told Thursday that the agency deleted the records. Democratic Chairman Bennie Thompson wrote the Secret Service that the committee wants...
Is Made Up
Jul 14, 2022 1:02 PM CDT
Trump: My Mind Is Made Up About 2024
Former president says his 'big decision' is whether to announce before or after midterms
- So will Donald Trump run for president in 2024? Two stories out Thursday suggest it's a
safe bet that he will. The one getting the most attention is in
, in which Trump talks to Olivia Nuzzi about the contest.
Initially, Trump couches his words, saying,
Jul 14, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
New Details on Witness Allegedly Called by Trump
Reports say former president tried to contact White House support staffer
- At the end of the last Jan. 6 hearing, panel Vice Chair Liz Cheney alleged that former President Trump tried to contact one of the committee's witnesses. While Cheney didn't reveal the person's identity—saying only that it was someone who hadn't appeared publicly—multiple reports...
After Hearing, Capitol Rioter
Apologizes to Officers
Jul 12, 2022 8:57 PM CDT
After Hearing, Capitol Rioter Apologizes to Officers
The reaction from officers who defended building from mob was mixed
- A Capitol rioter testified at the House select committee hearing Tuesday—and later personally apologized to four law enforcement officers who tried to defend the building on Jan. 6 last year. After the hearing, Stephen Ayres apologized to Capitol Police officers Aquilino Gonell and Harry Dunn, DC Metropolitan Police officer...
Cheney: Trump Tried
to Contact Witness
Jul 12, 2022 4:58 PM CDT
Cheney: Trump Tried to Contact Witness
She says Justice Department was informed
- As Tuesday's Jan. 6 committee hearing drew to a close, vice chair Rep. Liz Cheney revealed that Donald Trump recently tried to contact one of the witnesses—and the Justice Department had been informed. "Let me say one more time: We will take any effort to influence witness...
House Panel Zeroes In on
Trump's Tweet to Supporters
Jul 12, 2022 1:21 PM CDT
House Panel Zeroes In on Trump's Tweet to Supporters
He urged allies to come to the Capitol on Jan. 6 for 'wild' day
- The House panel investigating the Capitol riot on Tuesday zeroed in on a now-famous tweet issued by then-President Trump on Dec. 18, 2021, encouraging his supporters to come to the Capitol. "Be there, will be wild," Trump wrote, according to panel member Rep. Stephanie Murphy, per CNN . "...
Liz Cheney: Trump Isn't
an 'Impressionable Child'
Jul 12, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Liz Cheney: Trump Isn't an 'Impressionable Child'
She notes he is a '76-year-old man' and should therefore be held accountable for his actions
- As the seventh hearing of the Jan. 6 panel got underway on Tuesday, vice chair Liz Cheney set the tone: "President Trump is a 76-year-old man," she said. "He is not an impressionable child." Cheney was making the case that the former president should be held...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
The World Has a New Island
Radio Station's Move Is Bad News for Favre
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.