Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
'Stealth Omicron' Has
Arrived in the US
Jan 26, 2022 10:05 AM CST
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
BA.2, now in 40 nations, may be more contagious than original omicron, though data is limited
- Cases of an omicron subvariant have popped up in at least 40 countries, including the US. Health officials in California's Santa Clara County confirmed two cases of "stealth omicron," or BA.2, on Tuesday, adding to 11 existing cases in the state as of Monday, reports the...
Ardern Steps Up Restrictions,
Postpones Her Wedding
Jan 23, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Ardern Steps Up Restrictions, Postpones Her Wedding
9 omicron cases are reported in New Zealand family
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced new COVID-19 restrictions for New Zealand on Sunday following the discovery of nine cases of the omicron variant in a single family that flew to Auckland to attend a wedding. One of the events affected is Ardern's own wedding, which she postponed. The so-called...
Jan 21, 2022 2:21 PM CST
New Data: Boosters Work Against Omicron
CDC releases real-world studies filling in the gaps on vaccine effectiveness
- Full vaccination provides the best—and safest—protection from the delta and omicron coronavirus variants, new studies released Friday by the CDC confirm. It's the first comprehensive examination of the vaccines' effectiveness in preventing hospitalization for omicron infections, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Booster shots were shown to make...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
Beijing Blames Omicron Case
on Mail From Canada
Jan 17, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Beijing Blames Omicron Case on Mail From Canada
Claim is 'bewildering,' Canadian scientists say
- Beijing reported its first case of the omicron variant over the weekend and snap lockdowns soon followed. An office building was locked down with employees still inside after the 26-year-old woman tested positive, CNN reports. The residential complex where the woman lives has also been sealed off and a list...
Schools to Parents:
Please Sub as Teachers
Jan 13, 2022 4:35 PM CST
Schools to Parents: Please Sub as Teachers
Districts are strapped amid omicron surge
- School districts are urging parents to help out in classrooms as the omicron variant forces some educators to stay home. "We can't keep up, there is no labor pool," Don Austin, superintendent of California's Palo Alto Unified School District, says in a video shared Sunday, urging...
a 'Glimmer of Hope'
Jan 13, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Amid Omicron, a 'Glimmer of Hope'
Variant slowing down in NYC, other East Coast cities, but health experts warn against premature celebration
- Is omicron at its peak? That's the latest question posed by the
New York Times
, and it's one bolstered by the fact that in New York City—and other places along the East Coast where the coronavirus variant made an early appearance—the number of new COVID cases...
China Locks Down 3rd City
Jan 11, 2022 6:28 PM CST
China Locks Down 3rd City
Dozens of COVID cases detected in Anyang
: China has locked down a third major city, ordering the 5.5 million residents of Anyang in Henan province to stay home and barring most vehicles from the streets. The lockdown, brought in after two cases of the omicron variant were detected, brings the total number of people under...
In Europe, a Jarring
Jan 11, 2022 12:32 PM CST
In Europe, a Jarring Omicron Forecast
WHO expects 50% of the population will be infected with COVID over next 2 months
- With omicron surging, the CDC may soon revamp its mask guidelines to encourage people to use N95 or KN95 masks instead of cloth ones, reports the
. However, the guidance is also expected to say that the best mask is any kind that can be worn correctly for as...
WHO: Don't Call Omicron 'Mild'
Jan 7, 2022 7:35 AM CST
WHO: Don't Call Omicron 'Mild'
World passes 300M COVID cases
- When describing a viral strain spreading around the world with astonishing speed, words matter, and "mild" is not the correct word for omicron, the chief of the World Health Organization warned Thursday. "While omicron does appear to be less severe compared to delta, especially in those vaccinated, it...
US Hits a Staggering
New COVID Milestone
Jan 4, 2022 6:54 AM CST
US Hits a Staggering New COVID Milestone
On Monday, nation reported more than 1M new cases, a new daily record worldwide, by a lot
- Congress is right now grappling with a surge in COVID cases, driven in part by what Bloomberg calls a "tsunami" of the fast-spreading omicron variant. Yet it's becoming increasingly clear the struggle that US lawmakers are facing is simply a microcosm of the larger picture within the US—...
Congress Hit by
Surge in Cases
Jan 4, 2022 2:00 AM CST
Congress Hit by 'Unprecedented' Surge in Cases
Lawmakers urged to meet virtually amid wave of COVID-19 cases
- The Capitol physician is warning lawmakers of an "unprecedented" number of cases hitting members of Congress and their staffers. At the on-site testing center, the 7-day positivity rate is higher than 13%, compared to less than 1% before the rise of the omicron variant, Politico reports. Omicron accounts for...
Fauci: COVID Surge
Is 'Almost Vertical'
Jan 3, 2022 12:39 PM CST
Fauci: COVID Surge Is 'Almost Vertical'
But focusing on hospitalizations is now 'much more relevant'
- A new year has brought a new record in COVID infections: The seven-day average of daily cases rose above 400,000 for the first time Sunday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Since the New Year's weekend caused reporting delays, even the record 403,385 average reached Sunday is likely...
NYC Gears Up for 'Responsible
Event for the World to See'
Dec 31, 2021 12:00 PM CST
NYC Gears Up for 'Responsible Event for the World to See'
Only 15K in-person spectators, masked and vaccinated, will be allowed at NYE in Times Square
- New York City readied on Friday to embrace the new year—and bid good riddance to another pandemic-marred 12 months—as it prepared to revive its annual New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square. It did so as an uneasy nation tried to muster optimism that the worst days...
South Africa: Omicron
'Flash Flood' Has Passed
Dec 31, 2021 6:31 AM CST
South Africa: Omicron 'Flash Flood' Has Passed
Johns Hopkins University says US reported 647K cases Thursday
- The omicron variant is pushing COVID case numbers to record levels in numerous countries—including the US, which reported a staggering 647,076 cases Thursday, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker. But in South Africa, one of the countries to first detect the variant, scientists believe the worst is...
British DJ 'Devastated' for
Bringing Omicron to NZ
Dec 30, 2021 7:46 AM CST
British DJ 'Devastated' for Bringing Omicron to NZ
Nation's health officials say Robert Etheridge left required self-isolation before getting test result
- New Zealand health officials are reeling after a British DJ set to play a New Year's Eve music fest left his required self-isolation before getting the results of a final COVID test back. He subsequently tested positive for omicron, the country's first community case of the variant. The...
Indicators Agree: Omicron
Is Milder, Fauci Says
Dec 29, 2021 6:29 PM CST
Indicators Agree: Omicron Is Milder, Fauci Says
Infections are rising much faster than hospitalizations in the US
- Early data from the US and abroad make two things clear about the omicron variant of the coronavirus. "We know now, incontrovertibly, that this is a highly, highly transmissible virus," Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday. And "all indications point to a lesser severity of omicron versus delta....
With New Variant Comes
Potential New Testing Issue
Dec 29, 2021 8:44 AM CST
With New Variant Comes Potential New Testing Issue
FDA warns that rapid antigen tests may not pick up on omicron that well
- Not all news regarding the latest COVID-19 variant is gloomy, with very early signs pointing to less severe illness overall—meaning fewer hospitalizations and deaths—with omicron. When it comes to testing, however, the latest development doesn't bode well, per a warning issued by the Food and Drug Administration...
In the Long Term, Rise of
Omicron Could Be a Good Thing
Dec 29, 2021 7:00 AM CST
In the Long Term, Rise of Omicron Could Be a Good Thing
And more on the surging COVID-19 variant
- Omicron woes seem to have taken over the country, with flights being canceled left and right , the sports and showbiz worlds continuing to be impacted, and the US on Tuesday hitting a record high seven-day average of 254,496 new cases per day. A CNN medical analyst speculates that number...
CDC Cuts Recommended
COVID Isolation Time
Dec 27, 2021 5:12 PM CST
CDC Cuts Recommended COVID Isolation Time
Agency now recommends 5 days
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention made a big change to COVID isolation and quarantine recommendations Monday. With omicron cases surging and staff shortages causing major disruptions to travel, the CDC has halved the recommended isolation time for people who have tested positive from 10 days to five days...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Woman Swept Into Ocean From Popular Washington Beach
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.