Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
a 'Glimmer of Hope'
Jan 13, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Amid Omicron, a 'Glimmer of Hope'
Variant slowing down in NYC, other East Coast cities, but health experts warn against premature celebration
- Is omicron at its peak? That's the latest question posed by the
New York Times
, and it's one bolstered by the fact that in New York City—and other places along the East Coast where the coronavirus variant made an early appearance—the number of new COVID cases...
China Locks Down 3rd City
Jan 11, 2022 6:28 PM CST
China Locks Down 3rd City
Dozens of COVID cases detected in Anyang
: China has locked down a third major city, ordering the 5.5 million residents of Anyang in Henan province to stay home and barring most vehicles from the streets. The lockdown, brought in after two cases of the omicron variant were detected, brings the total number of people under...
In Europe, a Jarring
Jan 11, 2022 12:32 PM CST
In Europe, a Jarring Omicron Forecast
WHO expects 50% of the population will be infected with COVID over next 2 months
- With omicron surging, the CDC may soon revamp its mask guidelines to encourage people to use N95 or KN95 masks instead of cloth ones, reports the
. However, the guidance is also expected to say that the best mask is any kind that can be worn correctly for as...
WHO: Don't Call Omicron 'Mild'
Jan 7, 2022 7:35 AM CST
WHO: Don't Call Omicron 'Mild'
World passes 300M COVID cases
- When describing a viral strain spreading around the world with astonishing speed, words matter, and "mild" is not the correct word for omicron, the chief of the World Health Organization warned Thursday. "While omicron does appear to be less severe compared to delta, especially in those vaccinated, it...
US Hits a Staggering
New COVID Milestone
Jan 4, 2022 6:54 AM CST
US Hits a Staggering New COVID Milestone
On Monday, nation reported more than 1M new cases, a new daily record worldwide, by a lot
- Congress is right now grappling with a surge in COVID cases, driven in part by what Bloomberg calls a "tsunami" of the fast-spreading omicron variant. Yet it's becoming increasingly clear the struggle that US lawmakers are facing is simply a microcosm of the larger picture within the US—...
Congress Hit by
Surge in Cases
Jan 4, 2022 2:00 AM CST
Congress Hit by 'Unprecedented' Surge in Cases
Lawmakers urged to meet virtually amid wave of COVID-19 cases
- The Capitol physician is warning lawmakers of an "unprecedented" number of cases hitting members of Congress and their staffers. At the on-site testing center, the 7-day positivity rate is higher than 13%, compared to less than 1% before the rise of the omicron variant, Politico reports. Omicron accounts for...
Fauci: COVID Surge
Is 'Almost Vertical'
Jan 3, 2022 12:39 PM CST
Fauci: COVID Surge Is 'Almost Vertical'
But focusing on hospitalizations is now 'much more relevant'
- A new year has brought a new record in COVID infections: The seven-day average of daily cases rose above 400,000 for the first time Sunday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Since the New Year's weekend caused reporting delays, even the record 403,385 average reached Sunday is likely...
NYC Gears Up for 'Responsible
Event for the World to See'
Dec 31, 2021 12:00 PM CST
NYC Gears Up for 'Responsible Event for the World to See'
Only 15K in-person spectators, masked and vaccinated, will be allowed at NYE in Times Square
- New York City readied on Friday to embrace the new year—and bid good riddance to another pandemic-marred 12 months—as it prepared to revive its annual New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square. It did so as an uneasy nation tried to muster optimism that the worst days...
South Africa: Omicron
'Flash Flood' Has Passed
Dec 31, 2021 6:31 AM CST
South Africa: Omicron 'Flash Flood' Has Passed
Johns Hopkins University says US reported 647K cases Thursday
- The omicron variant is pushing COVID case numbers to record levels in numerous countries—including the US, which reported a staggering 647,076 cases Thursday, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker. But in South Africa, one of the countries to first detect the variant, scientists believe the worst is...
British DJ 'Devastated' for
Bringing Omicron to NZ
Dec 30, 2021 7:46 AM CST
British DJ 'Devastated' for Bringing Omicron to NZ
Nation's health officials say Robert Etheridge left required self-isolation before getting test result
- New Zealand health officials are reeling after a British DJ set to play a New Year's Eve music fest left his required self-isolation before getting the results of a final COVID test back. He subsequently tested positive for omicron, the country's first community case of the variant. The...
Indicators Agree: Omicron
Is Milder, Fauci Says
Dec 29, 2021 6:29 PM CST
Indicators Agree: Omicron Is Milder, Fauci Says
Infections are rising much faster than hospitalizations in the US
- Early data from the US and abroad make two things clear about the omicron variant of the coronavirus. "We know now, incontrovertibly, that this is a highly, highly transmissible virus," Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday. And "all indications point to a lesser severity of omicron versus delta....
With New Variant Comes
Potential New Testing Issue
Dec 29, 2021 8:44 AM CST
With New Variant Comes Potential New Testing Issue
FDA warns that rapid antigen tests may not pick up on omicron that well
- Not all news regarding the latest COVID-19 variant is gloomy, with very early signs pointing to less severe illness overall—meaning fewer hospitalizations and deaths—with omicron. When it comes to testing, however, the latest development doesn't bode well, per a warning issued by the Food and Drug Administration...
In the Long Term, Rise of
Omicron Could Be a Good Thing
Dec 29, 2021 7:00 AM CST
In the Long Term, Rise of Omicron Could Be a Good Thing
And more on the surging COVID-19 variant
- Omicron woes seem to have taken over the country, with flights being canceled left and right , the sports and showbiz worlds continuing to be impacted, and the US on Tuesday hitting a record high seven-day average of 254,496 new cases per day. A CNN medical analyst speculates that number...
CDC Cuts Recommended
COVID Isolation Time
Dec 27, 2021 5:12 PM CST
CDC Cuts Recommended COVID Isolation Time
Agency now recommends 5 days
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention made a big change to COVID isolation and quarantine recommendations Monday. With omicron cases surging and staff shortages causing major disruptions to travel, the CDC has halved the recommended isolation time for people who have tested positive from 10 days to five days...
Lab Gives Incorrect COVID
Results to Hundreds
Dec 27, 2021 2:07 PM CST
Lab Gives Incorrect COVID Results to Hundreds
Massive mix-up in Australia included 400 people who actually tested positive
- A pathology service in Sydney, Australia, had to scramble to correct a major error over the holiday weekend after telling 400 people who had tested positive for COVID that their tests were negative. Almost a thousand more people were told their tests were negative when in fact the results weren’...
Dec 26, 2021 1:40 PM CST
Omicron Adds Flight Cancellations
Airlines say they're short-staffed because of the variant's surge
- Airlines canceled hundreds more flights Sunday, citing staffing problems tied to COVID-19, as the nation's travel woes extended beyond Christmas, with no clear indication when normal schedules would resume. More than 700 flights entering, leaving, or flying within the US were called off, according to the flight-tracking website FlightAware....
Dec 26, 2021 11:40 AM CST
Belgians Protest Cultural Shutdown
New pandemic restrictions began Sunday
- Thousands of Belgian performers, cinema operators, event organizers, and others joined together Sunday to protest the government's decision to close down the country's cultural life to stem the spread of the surging omicron variant. Waving posters reading "The show must go on" or "No culture, no...
Third Florida-Based Cruise
Sees COVID Outbreak
Dec 26, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Third Florida-Based Cruise Sees COVID Outbreak
Carnival Freedom denied entry to Aruba and Bonaire
- For the third time in recent days, a COVID outbreak has been reported on a cruise ship that set sail from Florida, where health officials have reported the highest cases in a single day since the start of the pandemic in 2020. Per CNN , the Carnival Freedom was denied entry...
Dec 24, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Children's Hospitals Fill Up
Number of pediatric COVID patients has risen 13% in 10 days
- Children largely escaped illness during last winter's COVID-19 surge. Not this time. In many parts of the nation, pediatric hospitals already are dealing with a surge in admissions, now that the omicron variant has arrived before their delta patients have recovered and gone home, the
White House Is
Lifting Travel Curbs
on 8 African Countries
Dec 24, 2021 10:43 AM CST
White House Is Lifting Travel Curbs on 8 African Countries
Feds say restrictions bought time to better understand omicron variant
- With omicron now by far the dominant COVID variant in the US, authorities apparently don't see much point in continuing to ban travelers from southern Africa, where the variant was first detected last month. The White House confirmed Friday that the ban on non-US citizens who had been in...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Cops: Vince Carter's Wife, Kids Hid During Burglary
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.