Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
COVID Vaccines Likely
Getting a Big Update
Jun 16, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
COVID Vaccines Likely Getting a Big Update
FDA advisers endorse updating the shots
- The COVID-19 vaccines are on track for a big recipe change this fall, the AP reports. Today’s vaccines still contain the original coronavirus strain, the one that started the pandemic—even though that was long ago supplanted by mutated versions as the virus rapidly evolves. Thursday, the Food and...
University's COVID Study
Causes a Ruckus
Oct 18, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
University's COVID Study Causes a Ruckus
Boston University makes hybrid version in lab, and federal agency is surprised to learn of it
- Researchers at Boston University have a COVID controversy on their hands. As Mass Live reports, scientists there created a hybrid version of the virus in the lab in order to better understand the omicron variant. The experiment resulted in what the university calls inaccurate and sensationalized media coverage—particularly at...
Coming Soon to Americans'
Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
Aug 31, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Americans' Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
This one also targets omicron versions BA.4 and BA.5
- The US on Wednesday authorized its first update to COVID-19 vaccines, booster doses that target today's most common omicron strain. Shots could begin within days. The move by the FDA tweaks the recipe of shots made by Pfizer and rival Moderna. Until now, COVID-19 vaccines have targeted the original...
COVID Finally Reaches
This Isolated Nation
Jul 22, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
COVID Finally Reaches This Isolated Nation
Micronesia has reported dozens of cases
- Micronesia has likely become the final nation in the world with a population of more than 100,000 to experience an outbreak of COVID-19. For more than two-and-a-half years, the Pacific archipelago managed to avoid any outbreaks thanks to its geographic isolation and border controls. Those people who flew into...
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant
Is Raising Concerns
Jul 13, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant Is Raising Concerns
India experiencing 'exponential increase' with BA.2.75
- Another super contagious omicron variant has been detected in the US. Dubbed "Centaurus," the BA.2.75 variant was first detected in India in early May and is now spreading rapidly there. "It's still really early on for us to draw too many conclusions" but "...
These 2 New Variants
Jul 5, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
These 2 New Variants Are Extra-Contagious
BA.4 and BA.5 are great at evading protections, including from past omicron infections
- Two new extra-contagious variants of omicron with transmissibility similar to measles are together dominating COVID-19 cases in the US, leading to talk of new indoor mask mandates. Here's what you need to know:
BA.4 was first detected in South Africa in January, while BA.5 was first
You Can Get 8 More
Free COVID Tests
May 17, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
You Can Get 8 More Free COVID Tests
Government announces kits are again available
- The Biden administration on Tuesday announced a third round of free at-home COVID tests. This time, US households can get eight test kits, as opposed to four in prior rounds, per CNN . Tests can be ordered at covid.gov/tests . The White House says the government has delivered about 350 million...
CDC: Majority of American
Adults Have Had COVID
Apr 27, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
CDC: Majority of American Adults Have Had COVID
Number is even higher for kids: 75% of children 11 and younger have antibodies for virus
- Nearly 60% of Americans show infection-related antibodies—meaning not antibodies produced by a vaccine—in their blood, per a survey by the CDC released Tuesday. That reflects the time period from December to February, reports the
New York Times
. But for children ages 11 and younger, that figure is even...
31-Year-Old Woman Sets
Record for COVID Reinfection
Apr 21, 2022 12:51 PM CDT
31-Year-Old Woman Sets Record for COVID Reinfection
Health-care worker in Spain picked up 2 strains in 20 days
- A Spanish health-care worker can now lay claim to a rather unwelcome record as the person fastest to be reinfected with COVID-19. The 31-year-old woman contracted the virus twice within 20 days, according to researchers, who will present their findings this weekend at the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology &...
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK
Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
3rd dose among this set appears to offer significant antibody boost, even against omicron
- Pfizer said Thursday it wants to expand its COVID-19 booster shots to healthy elementary-age kids. US health authorities already urge everyone 12 and older to get one booster dose for the best protection against the newest variants—and recently gave the option of a second booster to those 50 and...
Is Taking Over
Apr 9, 2022 5:00 AM CDT
Extra-Contagious COVID Strain Is Taking Over
BA2 is now dominant in 68 countries, including the US
- In the latest battle of the coronavirus mutants, an extra-contagious version of omicron has taken over the world. The coronavirus version known as BA2 is now dominant in at least 68 countries, including the United States.The World Health Organization says it makes up about 94% of sequenced omicron cases...
Expected to Cause
'Uptick' in Cases
Mar 22, 2022 3:17 PM CDT
Omicron Subvariant Expected to Cause 'Uptick' in Cases
Genomics company says BA2 now accounts for 70% of new cases in some areas
- With restrictions being lifted across the country, America is doing its best to move on from the pandemic—but researchers warn that COVID hasn't moved on from America yet. BA2—a subvariant of omicron considered as different from the original omicron as the delta variant was from alpha—is...
Hong Kong Faces
Grim COVID Dilemma
Feb 19, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Hong Kong Faces Grim COVID Dilemma
Cases have surged out of control, but living with COVID is not an option
- Before the pandemic and a harsh crackdown on dissent upended life in Hong Kong, the territory was often considered China's "window on the world." But now, with omicron infections raging out of control, Hong Kong finds itself trapped between two worlds: The West, where countries are loosening...
in Wild NYC Deer
Feb 8, 2022 6:11 PM CST
Omicron Found in Wild NYC Deer
This is the first time variant has been found in wildlife, researchers say
- An unwelcome first in Staten Island: Deer in the New York City borough are the first wild animals known to be infected with the omicron variant, researchers say. Scientists tested blood samples from deer captured during a sterilization program and found that 14.5% out of 131 deer had antibodies...
In Return to Jobs,
a Huge Gender Gap
Feb 8, 2022 8:47 AM CST
In Return to Jobs, a Huge Gender Gap
BLS stats show 1M-plus men went back to job market in Jan. amid pandemic; only 39K women did
- The pandemic struck a huge blow to the American workforce, but January's jobs report brought some hopeful news, with employers adding 467,000 jobs last month. But the news appears to be better for men than for women, per Axios , which cites a "jaw-dropping" gender disparity in labor...
US COVID Death Toll
Feb 5, 2022 2:20 PM CST
US COVID Death Toll Approaches 1M
900,000 people have died, officials say
- The US death toll from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is inching closer to 1 million as the Omicron variant rages throughout the world, the AP reports. More than 10% of the 900,000 Americans lost to the virus died after Dec. 12, per Reuters . “If you had told most...
Jan 29, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Romney Latest Senator to Test Positive
Utah senator, 74, says he's asymptomatic
- Republican Sen. Mitt Romney, 74, has tested positive for COVID-19, per CBS News . The former presidential candidate, who is fully vaccinated and boosted, says he doesn’t have any symptoms and will work from home and isolate himself until doctors say he’s unlikely to infect others, the
This Nation Kept
Now, a 'State
Jan 29, 2022 6:00 AM CST
This Nation Kept COVID Out. Now, a 'State of Disaster'
Pacific archipelago of Kiribati sees an outbreak after allowing citizen missionaries to come home
- When the coronavirus began spreading around the world, the remote Pacific archipelago of Kiribati closed its borders, ensuring the disease didn't reach its shores for nearly two full years. Kiribati finally began reopening this month, allowing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to charter a plane to...
Bounce Back for US Economy
in 2021 Was a Major One
Jan 27, 2022 8:31 AM CST
Bounce Back for US Economy in 2021 Was a Major One
Nation's GDP saw strongest calendar-year growth since the Reagan years
- The US economy grew last year at the fastest pace since Ronald Reagan's presidency, bouncing back with resilience from 2020's brief but devastating coronavirus recession. The nation's gross domestic product—its total output of goods and services—expanded 5.7% in 2021. It was the strongest calendar-year...
Trials Are Now Underway
Jan 27, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Omicron-Specific Booster Trials Are Now Underway
Moderna cites 'long-term threat demonstrated by omicron's immune escape'
- The first participant has received a shot in Moderna's Phase 2 clinical trial of an omicron-specific vaccine booster. Moderna, which made the announcement Wednesday, expects to enroll 600 adults in the US study, including some who have already received a booster shot, per Reuters . "We are reassured by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.