Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Some Customers Object to
Carhartt's Vaccine Mandate
Jan 19, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Some Customers Object to Carhartt's Vaccine Mandate
CEO says SCOTUS ruling doesn't affect company's stance on workplace safety
- The Supreme Court has blocked the administration's COVID vaccine requirement for large companies—but it's staying in place at Carhartt, despite objections from some of the workwear firm's customers. Conservative commentators called for a boycott of the Michigan-based company after a memo explaining the policy was shared...
After Health Official's
Fla. DOH Takes Action
Jan 19, 2022 7:51 AM CST
After Health Official's Vaccination Email, Fla. DOH Takes Action
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County's health chief, put on leave after encouraging staffers to get vaccinated
- Throughout the pandemic, Florida's Dr. Raul Pino has been the public face for Orange County's Department of Health, appearing during news briefings to offer updates on case numbers and vaccinations. The county health director may not be on camera for a while, though: The state DOH announced Pino...
Companies Take Ruling on
Mandate Under Advisement
Jan 13, 2022 7:25 PM CST
Companies Take Ruling on Mandate Under Advisement
Employers could impose their own rule after Supreme Court decision
- Everyone seemed to welcome or lament the Supreme Court's decision Thursday on the Biden administration's vaccine-or-testing mandate for large companies—except the companies. Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican leader in the effort to block it, said the ruling is "a big win for workers across...
Supreme Court Gives Biden
a Win and a Loss on COVID
Jan 13, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Supreme Court Gives Biden a Win and a Loss on COVID
Blocks vaccine mandate at large businesses, allows mandate for health-care workers
- The Supreme Court has stopped the Biden administration from enforcing a requirement that employees at large businesses be vaccinated against COVID-19 or undergo weekly testing. At the same time, the court is allowing the administration to proceed with a vaccine mandate for most health-care workers in the US, per the...
'Vindicated' United CEO: COVID
Not Killing Workers Anymore
Jan 11, 2022 4:27 PM CST
'Vindicated' United CEO: COVID Not Killing Workers Anymore
Scott Kirby says no vaccinated workers have died in last 8 weeks
- If you thought the rash of canceled flights over the holidays was the end of it, United Airlines CEO offered a cold dose of reality on Tuesday. In a memo to employees, Scott Kirby explained the company is "reducing our near-term schedules to make sure we have the staffing...
2 Lawyers Arguing Against
COVID Mandate Test Positive
Jan 7, 2022 3:45 PM CST
2 Lawyers Arguing Against COVID Mandate Test Positive
They had to present by phone before the Supreme Court on Friday
- Fully vaccinated and mostly masked, the Supreme Court's conservative majority appeared skeptical Friday of the Biden administration's authority to impose a vaccine-or-testing requirement on large employers. The court seemed more open to a separate vaccine mandate for most health care workers, the AP reports. The arguments in the...
Biden's Vaccine Mandates
in Hands of Supreme Court
Jan 7, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Biden's Vaccine Mandates in Hands of Supreme Court
Ruling could come within days, or perhaps weeks
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration states the federal vaccination or testing requirements for businesses with 100 or more employees, affecting more than 84 million workers, will push 22 million people to get vaccinated, save more than 6,500 lives, and prevent 250,000 hospitalizations owing to COVID-19 over the...
Fauci: Time to Consider
Flight Vaccine Mandate
Dec 27, 2021 1:18 PM CST
Fauci: Time to Consider Flight Vaccine Mandate
He says feds should 'seriously consider' vaccine rule for domestic flights
- With COVID cases surging, Dr. Anthony Fauci says the federal government should seriously consider a vaccine mandate for domestic flights. The top White House medical adviser said Monday that it would be "reasonable" to consider the mandate, Bloomberg reports. "When you make vaccination a requirement, that’s another...
SCOTUS Is Moving
on Mandate Challenges
Dec 23, 2021 7:06 AM CST
SCOTUS Is Moving 'Extraordinarily Fast' on Mandate Challenges
Special session will be held Jan. 7
- Last week, a federal appeals court cleared the way for the Biden administration's vaccine mandate for private employers to take effect Jan. 4—but the issue will be before the Supreme Court just three days later. The court said Wednesday night that it will hold a special session Jan....
Religious Exemption Requests
on Vaccine Go Nowhere
Dec 19, 2021 11:55 AM CST
Religious Exemption Requests on Vaccine Go Nowhere
Pentagon didn't expect 12K applications
- When the Pentagon announced in August that all service members would have to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, it said they can seek religious exemptions. More than 12,000 military service members have done that, the AP reports, but so far, not one exemption on religious grounds has been granted....
Back in Play
Dec 18, 2021 7:45 AM CST
Federal Appeals Court Puts Biden Mandate Back in Play
6th US Circuit Court of Appeals frees up vaccine, testing rule for businesses with 100-plus workers
- As some states continue to push back on the Biden administration's vaccine mandate for private employers, the president saw a victory on that front Friday after a federal appeals court reinstated the vaccine and testing requirement for businesses, reports CNBC . The ruling by the 6th US Circuit Court of...
High-Ranking NY Cops
Accused of Using
Fake Vaccination Cards
Dec 16, 2021 9:06 AM CST
High-Ranking NY Cops Accused of Using Fake Vaccination Cards
They're now on desk duty, NYPD says
- Two high-ranking NYPD officers have been relieved of their guns and shields and placed on modified duty for allegedly using fake vaccination cards to get around New York City's vaccine mandate for city workers. The NYPD confirmed Wednesday that Lieutenant Joseph Marsella and Captain Desmond Morales had been placed...
Dec 13, 2021 7:40 PM CST
Air Force Discharges 27 Who Refused Vaccinations
Personnel faced a Nov. 2 deadline
- The Defense Department has removed some of its first service members for refusing to be vaccinated for COVID-19. The Air Force announced Monday that it has discharged 27 unvaccinated people, Politico reports. Air Force personnel had a Nov. 2 deadline. The branch's most recent figures show that more than...
Senate Votes to Nullify Biden's
Workplace Vaccine Mandate
Dec 9, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Senate Votes to Nullify Biden's Workplace Vaccine Mandate
But the House is unlikely to take up the resolution regarding businesses
- The Senate narrowly approved a resolution Wednesday to nullify the Biden administration's requirement that businesses with 100 or more workers have their employees be vaccinated against the coronavirus or submit to weekly testing, the AP reports. The vote was 52-48. The Democratic-led House is unlikely to take the measure...
New Mayor Could Keep or Scrap
NYC's Strict Vaccine Mandate
Dec 7, 2021 12:00 AM CST
New Mayor Could Keep or Scrap NYC's Strict Vaccine Mandate
Mayor-elect hasn't said which way he'll go
- New York City is getting one of the nation's toughest vaccine mandates —but will it survive into 2022? Eric Adams will be sworn in as mayor Jan. 1, and he's not saying whether he'll keep the mandate or not, the
New York Times
reports. All private...
NYC Getting One of Nation's
Toughest Vaccine Mandates
Dec 6, 2021 10:50 AM CST
NYC Getting One of Nation's Toughest Vaccine Mandates
De Blasio imposes rule on private sector employers
- All private employers in New York City will have to require their workers to get vaccinated against COVID-19, the mayor said Monday, imposing one of the most aggressive vaccine rules in the nation. The move by Mayor Bill de Blasio comes as cases are climbing again in the US and...
Fake Vaccine Cards Could
Land SC Nurse in Prison
Dec 5, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Fake Vaccine Cards Could Land SC Nurse in Prison
Tammy McDonald was indicted by federal grand jury
- A nurse who stands accused of creating fake COVID vaccination cards for her family could face a lot of prison time. Per WISTV , Tammy McDonald was charged by a federal grand jury in South Carolina Friday on two counts of producing fraudulent cards and an additional count of lying to...
California City Declares
Itself a 'Constitutional Republic'
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2021 5:20 PM CST
California City Declares Itself a 'Constitutional Republic'
Officials say Oroville residents, businesses are fed up with COVID mandates
- A small city in northern California where many residents have grown weary of COVID mandates has declared itself a "constitutional republic." The declaration passed in a 6-1 vote this month by Oroville City Council states that the city will not enforce orders issued by the state and federal...
After 30 Years
Due to Vaccine
Nov 24, 2021 2:42 AM CST
After 30 Years on
, He's Out Due to Vaccine Mandate
Steve Burton refused to get COVID-19 vaccine
- Steve Burton has been playing Jason Morgan on
since 1991. But no longer: The actor has been fired from the ABC soap opera for refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19,
reports. Burton made the announcement himself on Instagram in a video including anti-vaccine rhetoric, and the show...
Thousands in LA Schools
May Have to Enroll Elsewhere
Nov 23, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Thousands in LA Schools May Have to Enroll Elsewhere
44K students haven't proven they've had COVID vaccine, and mandate deadline looms
- In the Los Angeles Unified School District, the second-biggest school district in the US, nearly 80% of students look set to comply with its mandate requiring students ages 12 and older to be vaccinated against COVID by Jan. 10, per district officials. On the flip side, that still leaves about...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.