Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Wants Answers After
Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Feb 3, 2023 5:10 PM CST
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Thomas Adams Jr. admits actions in court, then says he has no regrets
- After being convicted Tuesday of participating in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, Thomas Adams Jr. rethought the remorse he'd expressed in court. "I wouldn't change anything I did," he told the
on Wednesday. Under oath in court, Adams had acknowledged walking into...
Jan 28, 2023 2:25 PM CST
Charges Against Ashli Babbitt's Mother Are Dropped
Police said Micki Witthoeft wouldn't heed orders during protest on riot's 2-year anniversary
- Prosecutors have decided not to pursue a conviction of Micki Witthoeft, whose daughter was killed in the attack on the US Capitol. Ashli Babbitt's mother was arrested this month near the building on the two-year anniversary of the Jan. 6 insurrection and charged with traffic violations in connection with...
Rioter Who Put His Feet on
Pelosi's Desk Found Guilty
Jan 23, 2023 12:38 PM CST
Rioter Who Put His Feet on Pelosi's Desk Found Guilty
Richard 'Bigo' Barnett will be sentenced in May
- An Arkansas man who propped his feet up on a desk in Nancy Pelosi’s office during the Capitol riot was convicted on Monday of joining a mob's attack on the building two years ago. After deliberating for around two hours, a jury unanimously convicted Richard "Bigo" Barnett...
Capitol Rioters May Be Barred
From Holding Office
Jan 22, 2023 10:10 AM CST
Capitol Rioters May Be Barred From Holding Office
Lawmakers in some states have proposed legislation
- Democratic lawmakers in a handful of states are trying to send a message two years after the violent attack on the US Capitol: Those who engage in an attempted overthrow of the government shouldn’t be allowed to run it. New York, Connecticut, and Virginia are among states where proposed...
3 Active-Duty Marines Working
in Intelligence Face Riot Counts
Jan 20, 2023 5:10 PM CST
3 Active-Duty Marines Working in Intelligence Face Riot Counts
One of the defendants posted photos from inside the Capitol on Instagram
- Three active-duty Marines who work in intelligence have been charged in the attack on the Capitol, after investigators saw a photo one of them took inside the building on Jan. 6, 2021, and posted on Instagram. Micah Coomer, Joshua Abate, and Dodge Dale Hellonen were arrested Wednesday, Military.com reports....
As Proud Boys Trial Begins,
Defense Points to Trump
Jan 12, 2023 5:10 PM CST
As Proud Boys Trial Begins, Defense Points to Trump
He was 'the prime mover that whipped up the crowd,' says attorney
- Opening statements in one of the biggest trials related to the Capitol riot got underway Thursday in DC, as onetime Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio and four associates attempt to fend off charges of seditious conspiracy . In Thursday's opening arguments:
Tarrio and his men led a coordinated attack
'Baked Alaska' Sentenced
for Role in Capitol Riot
Jan 10, 2023 4:06 PM CST
'Baked Alaska' Sentenced for Role in Capitol Riot
Judge says Anthime Gionet 'made a mockery of democracy'
- Anthime Gionet, the far-right internet personality better known as "Baked Alaska," was sentenced to 60 days in prison Tuesday by a federal judge who said his actions during the Capitol riot made a "mockery of democracy." Gionet, who livestreamed himself storming the Capitol, encouraged others not...
Trump, 2 Rioters Sued Over
Capitol Police Officer's Death
Jan 6, 2023 12:01 PM CST
Trump, 2 Rioters Sued Over Capitol Police Officer's Death
Brian Sicknick will be among those honored in White House ceremony
- On the eve of the second anniversary of the Capitol attack, former President Donald Trump and two rioters were sued by the longtime partner of Brian Sicknick, who was doused with chemical spray during the attack and died the next day. Julie Garza's lawsuit, which is seeking at least...
I Regret Those
Dec 31, 2022 6:00 AM CST
Ginni Thomas: I Regret Those Post-Election Texts
Wife of Clarence Thomas told Jan. 6 panel the election aftermath was an 'emotional time'
- Ginni Thomas still thinks the 2020 election was stolen, but the wife of Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas says she regrets the many texts she sent in its aftermath seeking to have the results overturned. The details of Thomas' testimony before the House panel tasked with investigating the Capitol riot...
Publishers' Hottest Manuscript
Right Now Is a House Report
Dec 23, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Publishers' Hottest Manuscript Right Now Is a House Report
Big players scrambling to turn the report into physical and e-books, quickly
- Now that the House Jan. 6 panel has completed its work and issued its report , the resulting document has become what the
New York Times
calls "the most sought after manuscript in publishing." The information in the report is in the public domain, but major publishers are scrambling...
6 Takeaways From
Jan. 6 Panel's Final Report
Dec 23, 2022 8:38 AM CST
6 Takeaways From Jan. 6 Panel's Final Report
Trump 'is loving this,' aide said during attack
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack released its final report Thursday, saying the main cause of the attack was "one man." They wrote that former President Donald Trump "put the lives of American lawmakers at risk" and threatened American democracy by trying to...
House Jan. 6 Panel
Releases Final Report
Dec 23, 2022 12:07 AM CST
House Jan. 6 Panel Releases Final Report
It's 'a final act for House Democrats'
- The House Jan. 6 committee’s final report asserts that Donald Trump criminally engaged in a “multi-part conspiracy” to overturn the lawful results of the 2020 presidential election and failed to act to stop his supporters from attacking the Capitol, concluding an extraordinary 18-month investigation into the former president...
May Have 'Zero'
Effect on DOJ
Dec 20, 2022 6:20 AM CST
Trump Referrals May Have 'Zero' Effect on DOJ
Justice Department is far more interested in the panel's evidence than its opinions
- The Jan. 6 panel took the unprecedented act of making criminal referrals against former President Trump to the Justice Department on Monday. So now what? Some assessments:
The DOJ is under no obligation to charge Trump just because the congressional panel suggested it should. “I think a
New Jan. 6 Details
Dec 19, 2022 7:30 PM CST
Panel Reveals New Jan. 6 Details
'Nobody will care about my legacy if I lose,' Trump told Hope Hicks
- The House committee investigating the Capitol attack held its final hearing Monday—and beyond recommending criminal charges for former President Donald Trump, it released an executive summary of its final report and shared new details of the assault. The meeting began with what the
calls a "highlight...
on Trump Counts
Dec 16, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Committee Moves Toward Voting Monday on Trump Counts
Charges up for recommendation to Justice Department include insurrection
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol plans to consider at least three criminal charges against former President Donald Trump when it meets Monday. The panel can't bring charges itself or compel anybody else to; the vote would be on whether to recommend the Justice...
Oath Keepers Founder
Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
Nov 29, 2022 4:37 PM CST
Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
It's a big win for Jan. 6 prosecutors
- Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes was convicted Tuesday of seditious conspiracy for a violent plot to overturn Joe Biden’s presidential win, handing the Justice Department a major victory in its massive prosecution of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. A Washington, DC, jury found Rhodes guilty of...
Woman Accused of
Stealing Pelosi's Laptop
Convicted on 6 Counts
Nov 22, 2022 1:55 AM CST
Woman Accused of Stealing Pelosi's Laptop Convicted on 6 Counts
Though not, however, the one involving the laptop
- A Pennsylvania woman linked to the far-right “Groyper” movement was convicted Monday of several federal charges after prosecutors said she was part of a group that stormed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, the AP reports. Riley June Williams...
Nov 17, 2022 12:50 PM CST
Another Capitol Rioter Is Convicted
Larry Brock carried zip ties, faces time in prison for felony obstruction
- The Air Force veteran seen carrying zip-tie handcuffs on the Senate floor during the Capitol riot faces prison time after being found guilty of numerous charges. Texas' Larry Rendall Brock Jr., convicted Wednesday of the felony charge of obstructing an official proceeding as well as five misdemeanor charges including entering...
Jan. 6 Tweet
Nov 14, 2022 8:27 AM CST
Pence: Trump's Jan. 6 Tweet About Me 'Angered' Me
Former VP tells ABC that former president's actions during Capitol riot were 'reckless'
- Mike Pence hasn't said much about what happened on Jan. 6, 2021, specifically on how he felt about former President Trump's remarks before and during the riot at the US Capitol. That changed over the weekend with the release of part of an interview the ex-vice president gave...
Jan. 6 Subpoena
Nov 12, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Trump Fights Jan. 6 Subpoena With 41-Page Complaint
Lawsuit likely means former president won't testify before House committee before it disbands
- There were hints last month that, under certain conditions, Donald Trump might agree to testify before the House panel investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, but it appears now that's not his plan. Axios reports the former president filed a lawsuit Friday to block the subpoena issued by the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.