Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
George Santos Steps Down From House Committees
Stories 21 - 40 |
Lashes Outer Banks
Sep 6, 2019 5:11 AM CDT
Hurricane Dorian Lashes Outer Banks
Storm has weakened to a Category 1
- Dorian howled over North Carolina's Outer Banks on Friday, lashing the low-lying barrier islands as a weakened Category 1 hurricane. A National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association weather station at Cape Lookout, located inside the western eyewall of Dorian, reported sustained hurricane-force winds of 74mph, the National Hurricane Center reported...
Storm Heads for Outer Banks
Sep 5, 2019 6:40 PM CDT
Storm Heads for Outer Banks
Tornadoes leave behind destruction in Carolinas
- Hurricane Dorian sideswiped the Carolinas with shrieking winds, tornadoes and sideways rain Thursday as it closed in for a possible direct hit on the dangerously exposed Outer Banks. At least four deaths in the Southeast were blamed on the storm. Twisters spun off by Dorian peeled away roofs and flipped...
Trump Doubles Down
on Alabama Controversy
Sep 5, 2019 11:52 AM CDT
Trump Doubles Down on Alabama Controversy
He says state was in the crosshairs and the media is unfairly going after him
- The controversy over Alabama and Hurricane Dorian is going to live at least another day. President Trump tweeted about the subject three times Thursday morning, reiterating his claims that the state was in the crosshairs of Dorian in early forecasts and that the media is showing its bias by criticizing...
As Dorian Came,
a Man's Quest to
Prove Wife Wrong
Led to This
Sep 5, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
As Dorian Came, a Man's Quest to Prove Wife Wrong Led to This
To protect his smart car from hurricane's winds, a Fla. man parked it in his kitchen
- It started as a lighthearted challenge between a Florida couple: Can a smart car fit into their kitchen? The answer: It sure can. Patrick Eldridge parked his smart car in his Jacksonville kitchen to protect it from Hurricane Dorian because he didn't want it to "blow away,"...
Dorian Regains Strength,
Lashes Carolina Coasts
Sep 5, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
Dorian Regains Strength, Lashes Carolina Coasts
Storm is now a Category 3
- Hurricane Dorian has regained strength and is now lashing the coast of Georgia and the Carolinas as a Category 3 storm. The National Hurricane Center said Wednesday night that the storm, which is slowly moving north, had been upgraded, with wind speeds of around 115mph, the
Trump Displays Hurricane Map
Altered to Include Alabama
Sep 5, 2019 6:42 AM CDT
Trump Displays Hurricane Map Altered to Include Alabama
It's not clear who was behind 'Sharpie-gate'
- In what President Trump's critics are calling "Sharpie-gate," the president delivered a Hurricane Dorian update Wednesday in front of a map that had been doctored to back up his claim that the storm had been expected to hit Alabama . The NOAA forecast map from Aug. 29 had...
in the Bahamas
Sep 5, 2019 3:47 AM CDT
'Generational Devastation' in the Bahamas
Dorian death toll of 20 is expected to rise
- Hurricane Dorian has now moved away from the Bahamas, leaving chaos, devastation, and at least 20 dead behind it. Bahamas Health Minister Duane Sands tells NBC that the death toll is expected to rise significantly when searches of hard-hit remote areas are completed. "We've had an absolute horrendous...
Hurricane Dorian Has Gotten
Bigger. That's Bad News
Sep 4, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Hurricane Dorian Has Gotten Bigger. That's Bad News
The Carolinas could get hit hard, even if it never makes landfall
- "Today will tell the magnitude of the problem." So said Bahamian Health Minister Duane Sands as rescue crews on Wednesday set out to Abaco and Grand Bahama islands in an effort to reach what the AP calls the "drenched and stunned victims of Hurricane Dorian." One...
Aerial Footage Shows
Sep 4, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Aerial Footage Shows 'Apocalyptic' Destruction in Bahamas
'The area around the airport now looks like a lake'
- The terrifying scale of destruction caused by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas was revealed in aerial footage from some of the hardest-hit areas. The footage from the Abaco Islands and Grand Bahama shows seawater where streets used to be and the shattered remains of hundreds of homes, reports the
Trump's Hurricane Updates
Cause a Ruckus
Sep 3, 2019 9:13 AM CDT
Trump's Hurricane Updates Cause a Ruckus
President accused of inaccuracies, but he lashes back at critics
- President Trump was up early tweeting (or retweeting) about the path of Hurricane Dorian on Tuesday, and those following his feed over the holiday weekend will be surprised. The
New York Times
counts 122 Trump tweets starting Saturday morning, with many revolving around the hurricane bearing down on the East...
in the Bahamas
Sep 3, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
'Historic Tragedy' in the Bahamas
Slow-moving storm downgraded to Category 3
- Authorities in the Bahamas say Hurricane Dorian has killed at least five people —but the country is still being battered by the slow-moving storm and many other people are in danger. The storm was just north of Grand Bahama Island early Tuesday, having only moved around 12 miles in...
Dorian Kills at Least 5
as It Floods Bahamas
Sep 2, 2019 5:06 PM CDT
Dorian Kills at Least 5 as It Floods Bahamas
More than 13,000 houses are damaged or destroyed
- At least five people were killed as Hurricane Dorian unleashed massive flooding across the Bahamas on Monday, pummeling the islands with so much wind and water that authorities urged people to find flotation devices and grab hammers to break out of their attics if necessary, the AP reports. "We...
Dorian Revives Old
Sep 2, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
Dorian Revives Old Falsehoods About Hurricanes
The Associated Press runs down misinformation about the killer storms
- The names of hurricanes may change, but one thing seems to stay the same: Misinformation spreads quickly during these dangerous storms, the AP reports. Hurricane Dorian, an extremely powerful Category 4 storm that has brought misery to the Bahamas since making landfall Sunday, is expected to be no different. Here'...
1M Ordered to Leave Homes
as Dorian Approaches
Sep 2, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
1M Ordered to Leave Homes as Dorian Approaches
Evacuation orders issued in SC, Georgia, Florida
- More than a million people in three states have been ordered to leave their homes as Hurricane Dorian slowly moves toward the East Coast. South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster and Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp have ordered the evacuation of their state's entire Atlantic coastlines, the AP reports. The storm,...
Unleashes Its Fury
Sep 1, 2019 4:10 PM CDT
Hurricane Dorian Unleashes Its Fury
The Category 5 hurricane is called 'life-threatening'
- Hurricane Dorian is plowing through the Bahamas. The Category 5 storm ripped out power lines, flung cars, and tore off roofs Sunday in the Abaco Islands after making landfall at 12:40pm, the AP reports. "It's devastating," says Joy Jibrilu, director general of the Bahamas' Ministry of...
Hurricane Hunters Snap Pics
of Dorian's 'Stadium Effect'
Sep 1, 2019 3:10 PM CDT
Hurricane Hunters Snap Pics of Dorian's 'Stadium Effect'
While Bahamas residents tweet videos from the eye of the storm
- As Hurricane Dorian slams the Bahamas, one thing getting media attention is the eye of the storm. So-called "hurricane hunters"—daring pilots from the Air Force and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration—have been flying through Dorian's eye and finding the so-called "stadium effect," Fox...
Hits Category 5
Sep 1, 2019 7:16 AM CDT
'Catastrophic' Dorian Hits Category 5
US East Coast braces for massive slow-moving storm
- Hurricane Dorian has intensified to a Category 5 storm, capable of inflicting catastrophic levels of destruction, as it closes in on the northern Bahamas. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Sunday that Dorian's maximum sustained winds have increased to 160mph, up from 150mph. It is moving west...
Canada's Former PM
Deletes Her Dorian Tweet
Aug 31, 2019 7:31 AM CDT
Canada's Former PM Deletes Her Dorian Tweet
Kim Campbell said she hoped the hurricane would slam into Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort
- Former Canadian Prime Minister Kim Campbell might get her wish, but she's now sorry she even voiced it. On Wednesday, Campbell joked on Twitter that she was "rooting for a direct hit" by Hurricane Dorian on President Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. As it turns out, Dorian...
Dorian's Winds Already 140mph,
With Mar-a-Lago in Its Path
Aug 31, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
Dorian's Winds Already 140mph, With Mar-a-Lago in Its Path
But there's still a chance the hurricane could simply deliver Florida a glancing blow
- President Trump's prized Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida could be directly in the path of Hurricane Dorian , which officially reached the "extremely dangerous" Category 4 status Friday night and is expected to be extremely destructive. The National Hurricane Center's most recent track for Dorian places Mar-a-Lago in the...
Dorian Just Got an Upgrade
Aug 30, 2019 1:44 PM CDT
Dorian Just Got an Upgrade
Now a Category 3 hurricane, it's expected to worsen before it hits Florida Monday or Tuesday
- Dorian is now a Category 3 hurricane, but the forecast still calls for it to intensify into a potentially catastrophic Category 4 by the time it hits Florida late Monday or early Tuesday. The National Hurricane Center says the storm is on track to make landfall in South Florida, around...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Cops: Torture Suspect Is Using Chilling Way to Avoid Capture
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Dallas Zoo Adds Another Mystery to the List
Last of Us Zombie Fungus Is Real, Just Not for Humans
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.