Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Georgia Recount Confirms
'the Verdict of the People'
Nov 20, 2020 4:55 PM CST
Georgia Recount Confirms 'the Verdict of the People'
Trump can still request the votes be counted a third time
- Georgia certified its presidential election results Friday, after a recount confirmed President-elect Joe Biden's victory Nov. 3 over President Trump. "I believe that the numbers that we have presented today are correct," said Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger. "The numbers reflect the verdict of the people....
Governor Drops Suit Over
Atlanta Mask Mandate, But...
Aug 14, 2020 7:19 AM CDT
Governor Drops Suit Over Atlanta Mask Mandate, But...
...Gov. Brian Kemp is expected to sign an executive order on the subject on Saturday
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp on Thursday announced that he was withdrawing the suit he filed against Atlanta's mayor and city council in a bid to block it from enforcing a mask mandate—but not because he's admitting defeat. Far from it. In a statement, the Republican said he...
Georgia Governor Sues
Atlanta Mayor Over Masks
Jul 17, 2020 12:26 AM CDT
Georgia Governor Sues Atlanta Mayor Over Masks
Brian Kemp says Keisha Lance Bottoms has no authority to enforce mask mandate
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp is suing Atlanta's mayor and city council to block the city from enforcing its mandate to wear a mask in public and other rules related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Kemp and Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr, in a suit filed in state court late Thursday...
Georgia Governor Voids
Local Mask Orders, Bans Them
Jul 16, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
Georgia Governor Voids Local Mask Orders, Bans Them
Brian Kemp says cities, counties have no power to order masks be worn
- Georgia's Gov. Brian Kemp is explicitly banning Georgia's cities and counties from ordering people to wear masks in public places, the AP reports. He voided orders on Wednesday that at least 15 local governments across the state had adopted even though Kemp had earlier said cities and counties...
State's New Driving
Rule: This Can
in case you missed it
May 10, 2020 10:18 AM CDT
Petition Slams State's New Driving Rule: This Can Turn 'Catastrophic'
Georgia sees nearly 20K teens who just got their licenses without having to take a road test
- Lots of excited young people have taken one state up on its offer to get behind the wheel during the coronavirus pandemic— almost 20,000 , to be exact. That's how many new under-20 drivers there have been in Georgia over the past two weeks after Gov. Brian Kemp issued...
During 'Unprecedented Times,'
an Unusual Change on Driving
Apr 30, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
During 'Unprecedented Times,' an Unusual Change on Driving
New Georgia drivers don't need road test to get license during pandemic state of emergency
- Georgia teens nervous about taking their road test can breathe a little easier, though everyone else on the road may not. CNN reports that, due to the logistical challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Brian Kemp has temporarily eased driver's license requirements so that new drivers with a...
Trump Didn't Like It—But
This State Gets to Reopen
Apr 25, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Trump Didn't Like It—But This State Gets to Reopen
Georgia businesses are grappling with the governor's new order
- Georgia business owners faced a dilemma Friday: to open or not to open? After Gov. Brian Kemp issued the nation's most aggressive order allowing non-essential businesses to reopen, some took advantage. "It's essential. It's like food," a customer tells the
Wall Street Journal
Trump's Criticism of Georgia
Governor Gets Even Harsher
Apr 24, 2020 1:32 AM CDT
Trump's Criticism of Georgia Governor Gets Even Harsher
President says he's 'not happy' about Gov. Brian Kemp 'violating' federal guidelines
- President Trump said Wednesday that he "strongly disagreed" with Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp's plan to start aggressively reopening his state amid the COVID-19 pandemic. On the eve of that reopening Friday, the president kicked things up a notch. Discussing a phone call he had with Kemp, Trump said...
An 'Abrupt Shift in Tone'
for Trump on Reopening
Apr 23, 2020 6:35 AM CDT
An 'Abrupt Shift in Tone' for Trump on Reopening
President says he 'disagrees strongly' with Georgia's plan
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp is allowing certain nonessential businesses to reopen Friday, albeit with restrictions, and some people aren't happy with the plan—including, apparently, the president. "I want him to do what he thinks is right," President Trump said at Wednesday's press briefing. "But...
Georgia Mayors Not Thrilled
With Governor's COVID Move
Apr 21, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Georgia Mayors Not Thrilled With Governor's COVID Move
Gov. Kemp is loosening restrictions starting Friday
- Much has been written about the friction between the states and the federal government on the coronavirus. Now comes friction on a different level—between governors and the mayors of cities on how fast to reopen. It's now showing up in Georgia, where Gov. Brian Kemp declared that businesses...
Apr 20, 2020 7:25 PM CDT
On Friday, Georgia Starts to Reopen
Other states make similar plans, though even some business owners have doubts
- Georgia's economy will start reopening this week, Gov. Brian Kemp has announced, despite the fears of health officials and some business owners that it's not safe yet. Gyms, bowling alleys, salons, and tattoo parlors can open their doors Friday, as long as they observe hygiene and social distancing...
In 2 States, a 'Giant Leap
Forward' in Virus Testing
Apr 6, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
In 2 States, a 'Giant Leap Forward' in Virus Testing
CVS Health launches 2 new rapid-testing drive-thrus in Georgia, Rhode Island
- People who think they might have COVID-19 now have two new locations to go to for confirmation: CVS Health drive-thrus in Georgia and Rhode Island. Per CNBC , the company hopes to handle up to 1,000 tests daily, using Abbott Laboratories' new rapid-testing kits, at the sites in Atlanta and...
Causes Some Double Takes
Apr 2, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Governor's Statement Causes Some Double Takes
Georgia's Brian Kemp says he just learned asymptomatic people can spread coronavirus
- Holdout Georgia has joined the list of states under stay-at-home orders, but a statement from Gov. Brian Kemp while announcing the restrictions is causing a stir as well. Kemp explained Wednesday that he just learned asymptomatic people with the coronavirus can spread the disease, reports the Hill . "We didn'...
State Over New
Mar 30, 2019 9:48 AM CDT
Celebs Threaten State Over New Abortion Bill
Alyssa Milano spearheads petition against Georgia's 'heartbeat' bill
- Hollywood has Georgia on its mind—and not in a good way. Fifty actors have signed a petition threatening to urge film and TV production away from the state if it passes a new abortion bill, the Huffington Post reports. Alyssa Milano spearheaded the petition, which says "billions of...
Abrams Ends Georgia Bid
With Fiery Parting Shot
Nov 16, 2018 6:54 PM CST
Abrams Ends Georgia Bid With Fiery Parting Shot
She acknowledges Brian Kemp will be the next governor, accuses him of voter suppression
- It's over in Georgia: Stacey Abrams called a press conference Friday to acknowledge that Republican Brian Kemp will be the state's next governor, reports Politico . But Abrams made clear that she thinks Kemp, who oversaw the election as secretary of state, is guilty of foul play. "To...
In Contentious Ga.
Kemp Resigns as
Secretary of State
Nov 8, 2018 10:10 AM CST
In Contentious Ga. Governor's Race, Kemp Resigns as Secretary of State
Stacey Abrams is still hoping for a runoff
- Republican Brian Kemp resigned Thursday as Georgia's secretary of state, a day after his campaign said he has enough votes to become Georgia governor, even though his election rival is conceding nothing in one of the nation's marquee midterm races. As the state's top election official, Kemp...
Stacey Abrams Not About
to Concede in Georgia
Nov 7, 2018 12:47 PM CST
Stacey Abrams Not About to Concede in Georgia
She's hoping for a December runoff against Brian Kemp
- The next governor of Georgia has yet to be decided, with Democratic candidate Stacey Abrams declining to concede the race to Republican Brian Kemp. As of 11am ET, CNN reports Kemp led Abrams by almost 68,000 votes with 99% of precincts reporting. That gives him 50.4% of the...
Gillum Concedes in Florida
Nov 7, 2018 1:31 AM CST
Governors' Races: Gillum Concedes in Florida
Scott Walker loses bid for 3rd term in Wisconsin
- Thirty-six governors' races were on the ballot Tuesday, but two of those contests—in Florida and Georgia—dominated the political landscape. In Florida, Democrat Andrew Gillum, who was vying to become the state's first black governor, conceded to Republican Ron DeSantis, a strong ally of President Trump, reports the...
Already-Hot Georgia Governor's
Race Just Got Hotter
Nov 4, 2018 9:53 AM CST
Already-Hot Georgia Governor's Race Just Got Hotter
GOP candidate Kemp says his office investigating state Democrats over alleged voter hack
- If you thought the race for Georgia governor had gotten testy enough , welcome to an even testier Sunday: The office of Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the Republican candidate, announced overnight that it is investigating a "failed attempt to hack the state's voter registration system," specifically, "...
Obama Stays on
Why 'So Angry
All the Time'?
Nov 3, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
Obama Stays on Trump, GOP: Why 'So Angry All the Time'?
Former president appeared Friday at rallies in Georgia, Florida
- Barack Obama has been hitting the campaign trail, stumping for Democratic candidates and making "fiery speeches." He continued making the rounds Friday, and while rallying in Georgia for gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, who's running against Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the former president said he was...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
The World Has a New Island
Radio Station's Move Is Bad News for Favre
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.