Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Brian Kemp Makes Change,
Campaigns for Walker
Nov 19, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Brian Kemp Makes Change, Campaigns for Walker
Governor's showing in general election far surpassed the Senate nominee's
- After an election in which he received 200,000 more votes than Herschel Walker, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp made his first public appearance with his party's Senate candidate. "We cannot rest on our laurels here," Kemp said in a seven-minute speech Saturday at a rally in Cobb...
In Georgia, Stacey Abrams
Concedes Governor's Race
Nov 8, 2022 10:36 PM CST
In Georgia, Stacey Abrams Concedes Governor's Race
Rematch with Brian Kemp results in another Republican victory
- Stacey Abrams' second attempt to win the governor's seat in Georgia has ended the same way the first one did—with a celebration for Republican Brian Kemp. The polls had been trending incumbent Kemp's way for a quite a while, and Abrams could not turn the tide. Abrams...
A Look at Why
Stacey Abrams Is Trailing
Nov 1, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
A Look at Why Stacey Abrams Is Trailing
Georgia gubernatorial candidate is behind in the polls, and Black men in particular are a factor
- Stacey Abrams became a political phenom four years ago when she lost the Georgia governor's race by only a whisker. If the polls are correct, however, she is poised to lose the same race again next week to the same opponent, Brian Kemp, by a bigger margin. FiveThirtyEight....
Abrams' Support Among
Black Voters Slips
Sep 22, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Abrams' Support Among Black Voters Slips
Poll shows 30% give Republican Kemp a positive job rating
- Stacey Abrams had reason to think she could count on Black voters in her race for governor of Georgia this fall. They nearly pushed the Democrat over the top in 2018, when she lost the governor's race to Brian Kemp. But polls suggest Abrams has a problem, the
Georgia's High-Profile Races
Taking Shape in the Polls
Sep 20, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Georgia's High-Profile Races Taking Shape in the Polls
Stacey Abrams trails in governor's contest; Herschel Walker tied with Sen. Raphael Warnock
- After swinging into decidedly purple territory in the 2020 presidential election and the 2021 Senate runoffs, Georgia appears to be trending red ahead of the midterms, for the most part. According to a recent poll of likely voters, conducted by the UGA School of Public Affairs and sponsored by the...
Brian Kemp Trounced
Challenger. Here's How
May 25, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
Brian Kemp Trounced His Trump-Backed Challenger. Here's How
Politico does a deep dive on Georgia governor's primary campaign
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp did more than just fend off a challenger backed by former President Trump in the state's Republican gubernatorial primary on Tuesday—he got more than triple the votes former Sen. David Perdue did, and an extensive piece at Politico looks at how Kemp "crushed...
Trump's Clout Faces Big
Test in Georgia Races
May 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Trump's Clout Faces Big Test in Georgia Races
It's another primary day
- It's another busy primary Tuesday. Georgia takes center stage as Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger try to fight back challengers endorsed by former President Trump, who's seeking revenge for his 2020 election defeat in the state. An assessment at FiveThirtyEight sees that and other...
Mike Pence Talks
2024 Plans, Trump
May 24, 2022 12:27 AM CDT
Mike Pence Talks 2024 Plans, Trump
Former VP says he could run for president—even against Trump
- Asked by the
New York Times
in a recent interview whether he'd run for president in 2024 even if former President Trump decides to run, Mike Pence wouldn't rule it out. "We’ll go where we’re called," he said of himself and his wife, with...
Pence Enters Campaign
on Wrong Side of Trump
May 13, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Pence Enters Campaign on Wrong Side of Trump
Former vice president to appear in Georgia for Gov. Brian Kemp, while Trump backs David Perdue
- Mike Pence is joining other national Republican figures supporting Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp in his reelection campaign. But the name that stands out is a national Republican who opposes Kemp: former President Trump. In another indicator of the break between Trump and his former vice president, Kemp's campaign announced...
Trump Makes First
Big Investment in GOP Race
Apr 13, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Trump Makes First Big Investment in GOP Race
Former president's PAC sends $500K to help David Perdue in Georgia
- For the first time, former President Donald Trump’s political operation has invested in a candidate's midterm election campaign. Trump’s Save America PAC sent $500,000 to a super PAC working to defeat Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, whom the former president has wanted out of office since he...
'Man Who Lost Republicans
the US Senate' Wants New Job
Dec 6, 2021 12:00 AM CST
'Man Who Lost Republicans the US Senate' Wants New Job
Looks like former Sen. David Perdue is running for Georgia governor against Brian Kemp
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who drew former President Trump's wrath for refusing to act on his false allegations of a stolen election, is likely to face a prominent challenger for the 2022 Republican primary for governor: former Sen. David Perdue. Late Sunday, a website and text updates launched for...
Rematch in Georgia
Dec 1, 2021 7:05 PM CST
Abrams Seeks Rematch in Georgia
Democrat lost close race to Brian Kemp last time
- Stacey Abrams, the Georgia Democrat and leading voting rights activist, said Wednesday that she will launch another campaign to become the nation's first Black woman governor. Without serious competition in a Democratic primary, the announcement could set up a rematch between Abrams and Republican Gov. Brian Kemp. Their 2018...
GOP Governors on Mandates:
We'll Fight 'to the Gates of Hell'
Sep 10, 2021 6:25 AM CDT
GOP Governors on Mandates: We'll Fight 'to the Gates of Hell'
Republican National Committee also vows to sue over vaccine mandates
- Republican leaders had a strong reaction to President Biden's announcement of coronavirus vaccine mandates to affect two-thirds of the US workforce: "See you in court," tweeted South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem, one of several Republican governors threatening to fight back. South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster tweeted "...
Door-Knocking Ga. Lawmaker
Gets Some Good News
Apr 8, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Door-Knocking Ga. Lawmaker Gets Some Good News
DA considers case against Park Cannon closed, she won't be prosecuted
- Park Cannon, the Black state representative who was arrested as she knocked on Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp's door in an attempt to witness him signing controversial new voting restrictions into law, will not be prosecuted. Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis announced Wednesday she would "close this matter"...
Georgia Faces Growing
Backlash Over Voter Law
Apr 1, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Georgia Faces Growing Backlash Over Voter Law
Coke, Delta, Microsoft all speak out against it
- The leaders of Coca Cola and Delta Air Lines, two of Georgia's largest corporations, are speaking out about the state's new voting law , along with the president of Microsoft, which has plans to create a hub in Atlanta. In a Wednesday memo to employees, Delta CEO Ed Bastian...
Cop Who Arrested
Lawmaker as She
Knocked on Door Explains
Mar 30, 2021 3:22 AM CDT
Cop Who Arrested Lawmaker as She Knocked on Door Explains
Georgia state trooper says he feared an attack similar to the one at the US Capitol
- The Georgia State Patrol lieutenant who arrested a Black state lawmaker as she knocked on Gov. Brian Kemp's door in an attempt to witness him signing controversial new voting restrictions into law says he was concerned about an attack at the state capitol similar to what happened January 6...
As Kemp Signed Bill She
Knocked on His Door,
Mar 26, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
As Kemp Signed Bill She Knocked on His Door, Got Arrested
Rep. Park Cannon was protesting election legislation
- A Black Democratic state lawmaker was arrested in Atlanta as she tried to witness Georgia's governor sign into law new voting restrictions in the state. Per the
, Rep. Park Cannon was at the state Capitol on Thursday, right outside the office where Gov. Brian Kemp was putting...
Mar 25, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
Governor Quickly Signs New Voting Restrictions
Georgia is first state since election to limit access
- With opposition gathering outside his office, Gov. Brian Kemp signed new voting restrictions into law Thursday less than an hour after they passed the General Assembly. Calling the legislation "Jim Crow 2.0," protesters outside the Capitol said voters were being disenfranchised. A Democratic state representative was arrested...
COVID Variant Is Found
Mar 24, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
'Double Mutant' COVID Variant Is Found
India analyzes samples, while Brazil sets another death record
- There's now a "double mutant" variant of the novel coronavirus spreading in India. The nation's Health Ministry said Wednesday that a double variant—two mutations in the same virus—was detected in the country, along with other variants first discovered in the UK (B.1.1.7),...
Jan 9, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Trump May Have Leaned on Georgia Investigator
Legal experts say the call might have violated the law
- President Trump told Georgia's lead elections investigator last month that he'd be "a national hero" if he would "find the fraud" in Cobb County's voting results. Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said that the call was placed Dec. 23 but that he didn't know...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.