Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Agree to Debate on Fox
Sep 25, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
DeSantis, Newsom Agree to Debate on Fox
Sean Hannity will moderate debate between Republican, Democratic governors
- While Donald Trump is shunning Republican debates, one of his rivals for the GOP nomination has agreed to debate somebody he isn't even running against. Fox News says Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has agreed to debate California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Nov. 30, NBC News reports. Fox says the...
Don't Get New
Sep 14, 2023 2:39 AM CDT
DeSantis to Floridians: Don't Get New COVID Vaccine
Florida governor and surgeon general warn against the new shot
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and the state's top health department official are directly contradicting federal health recommendations and warning residents against getting a new COVID-19 booster , saying there's not enough evidence it provides benefits that outweigh risks, the AP reports. DeSantis, who is running for president, and Florida...
At DeSantis' Behest, Colleges
Add Untested Admissions Exam
Sep 10, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
At DeSantis' Behest, Colleges Add Untested Admissions Exam
Classic Learning Test has mostly been accepted by private schools
- Florida's state university system has endorsed accepting the results of the little-known Classic Learning Test in its undergraduate admissions process, a step in Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis' efforts to change public education at all levels. The test becomes an alternative to the long-accepted SAT and ACT, the
Biden: I'll Meet With
DeSantis in Florida.
Sep 2, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
Biden: I'll Meet With DeSantis in Florida. DeSantis: Well...
President heads south to survey Hurricane Idalia damage, but governor won't meet up with him
- Not even a year ago, President Biden and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis presented a united front when the former went to visit the latter's home state following the destruction caused by Hurricane Ian. Don't expect such a joint appearance on Saturday, when the president is set to tour...
100-Year-Old Tree Falls During
Storm at Governor's Mansion
Aug 30, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
100-Year-Old Tree Falls During Storm at Governor's Mansion
Casey DeSantis and children were home but not hurt
- Gov. Ron DeSantis was delivering an update on the damage caused by Hurricane Idalia on Wednesday when he paused to include the toll on his residence. His wife, Casey, made the announcement on X, posting a photo and the news: "100 year old oak tree falls on the Governor'...
Idalia May Be Category 3
Hurricane When It Hits
Aug 29, 2023 6:45 AM CDT
Idalia May Be Category 3 Hurricane When It Hits
Tampa closes its airport in advance
- Idalia became a hurricane on Tuesday as it intensified on a path toward Florida's Gulf coast, with the National Hurricane Center warning of an increasing risk of life-threatening storm surges and winds over the next two days. Idalia is projected to have sustained winds of up to 120mph as...
Aug 29, 2023 12:42 AM CDT
After Trump Comment, DeSantis Team Clarifies
Florida governor is not dropping out of 2024 race, his campaign says
- Ron DeSantis is not dropping out of the 2024 presidential race, the Florida governor's campaign made clear Monday. As for why that had to be made clear, former President Trump had earlier in the day posted on Truth Social about a "roomer [sic]" that DeSantis might exit the...
Poll Suggests Trump Could Pay
for Sitting Out GOP Debate
Aug 28, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Poll Suggests Trump Could Pay for Sitting Out GOP Debate
Frontrunner slips 6 points as several rivals are on the rise
- A poll taken after the Republican presidential debate has found changes in the race, with several candidates inching up and the absent frontrunner losing a bit of support. The Emerson College poll showed Donald Trump falling from 56% support among people who plan to vote in a GOP primary to...
The GOP Debate
Was Feisty. Who Won?
Aug 24, 2023 8:41 AM CDT
The GOP Debate Was Feisty. Who Won?
Former President Trump is the 'clear winner,' per Vox
- Without former President Trump on stage, the eight "underdogs" taking part in the first Republican presidential primary debate Wednesday in Milwaukee had the opportunity to "differentiate themselves in the field," reports the
New York Times
. Many seized on the chance and "at certain points, you could...
Fox News Bars Trump Team
From Post-Debate Coverage
Aug 22, 2023 12:41 PM CDT
Fox News Bars Trump Team From Post-Debate Coverage
Eight GOP candidates will be on the stage Wednesday night in Milwaukee
- Nine candidates may have the numbers to officially qualify for the first Republican debate Wednesday night, but only eight will be on the stage. Coverage:
Candidates on stage will Ron DeSantis, Tim Scott, Nikki Haley, Mike Pence, Chris Christie, Vivek Ramaswamy, Doug Burgum, and Asa Hutchinson, reports the
Christie Calls Trump
'Certified Loser, Verified Coward'
Aug 18, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Christie Calls Trump 'Certified Loser, Verified Coward'
Lagging candidate also mocks DeSantis over advice to praise former president in debate
- Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie responded with mock shock Friday to the Republican frontrunner's decision to skip the party's presidential debate next week. Donald Trump, freshly indicted in Georgia, is required to turn himself in by the end of the week in Fulton County. "Surprise, surprise...
Aug 17, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
Memo Offers Unusual Peek at DeSantis Debate Strategy
He's advised to defend Trump and instead attack Ramaswamy, reports 'New York Times'
New York Times
got its hands on a rare insiders' memo about Ron DeSantis' debate strategy next week. To be clear, the memo isn't from the Florida governor's campaign, but from a company linked to Never Back Down, the main super PAC supporting him. The
Floridians Vent About
Black History Policy
Aug 11, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Floridians Vent About Black History Policy
Education commissioner behind new standards skips public forum
- Leaders of a forum on Florida's new standards for teaching Black history encouraged parents to let their discontent be heard by showing up at local school board meetings, sending feedback to the state's Department of Education, and voting. Hundreds of lawmakers, teachers, and parents crowded into Antioch Baptist...
Does James Like to Be Called
Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Aug 11, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Does James Like to Be Called Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Some districts now want parental OK before using nicknames, alternate names for trans students
- A new school year has kicked off in many spots in the South, and two counties in Florida are already making waves for a correspondence that's been delivered to educators and parents. WESH reports that Seminole County sent an email to families this week noting that if their kids...
Orlando's Top Prosecutor
Aug 9, 2023 9:39 AM CDT
DeSantis Suspends Orlando's Top Prosecutor
Accuses state attorney of 'allowing violent criminals to roam the streets'
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday suspended the top prosecutor in Orlando, saying she had neglected her duty to prosecute criminals. "It is my duty as governor to ensure that the laws enacted by our duly elected Legislature are followed," DeSantis said during a news conference announcing the...
DeSantis Just Replaced
His Campaign Manager
Aug 8, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
DeSantis Just Replaced His Campaign Manager
Florida governor continues to reshuffle operation as he struggles to gain ground on Donald Trump
- Another sign of Ron DeSantis' struggle to gain traction in the polls: He now has a new campaign manager. The Messenger reports that the Florida governor has demoted Generra Peck to chief strategist and put adviser James Uthmeier in charge. Uthmeier is DeSantis' gubernatorial chief of staff and is described...
Has 4 Blunt
Aug 7, 2023 11:47 AM CDT
DeSantis Has 4 Blunt Words for Trump
'Of course he lost'
- Ron DeSantis made some headlines Monday for bluntly rejecting the idea that Donald Trump was the rightful winner of the last election. "Of course he lost," the Florida governor told NBC News . DeSantis has typically sidestepped direct answers to the question, notes the AP , but he appears to...
Course Is Illegal
Aug 4, 2023 10:28 AM CDT
Florida Says AP Psychology Course Is Illegal
Education Department demands removal of gender and sexuality topics, taught for 3 decades
- After blocking the Advanced Placement course on African American Studies, Florida has now "effectively banned" AP Psychology, too, according to the College Board, which oversees the AP program. It says the Florida Department of Education instructed superintendents on Thursday "that teaching foundational content on sexual orientation and gender...
Harris on Debate
Aug 2, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
Harris on Debate With DeSantis: Not Happening
VP tells Orlando crowd she won't accept Florida governor's invite to chat about curriculum, slavery
- Last month, Kamala Harris visited Florida to speak up against the state's new educational standards. Those controversial guidelines mandate that public school students be taught how enslaved people developed skills that "in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit." Now, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has...
DeSantis Campaign Fires Aide
Behind Video With Nazi Imagery
Jul 26, 2023 4:06 PM CDT
DeSantis Campaign Fires Aide Behind Video With Nazi Imagery
It featured soldiers marching into spinning Sonnenrad
- The Ron DeSantis campaign has fired an aide who created a pro-DeSantis ad that used imagery associated with Nazis. Axios reports that speechwriter Nate Hochman secretly created the 68-second video on his own and shared it on a pro-DeSantis Twitter account. The video shows the "Wojak" meme—described by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.