Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Democrats Finally Get
Chance to Question McGahn
Jun 4, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Democrats Finally Get Chance to Question McGahn
Former White House counsel will appear before House Judiciary Committee Friday
- The House Judiciary Committee is poised to question former White House counsel Don McGahn behind closed doors on Friday, two years after House Democrats originally sought his testimony as part of investigations into former President Trump. The long-awaited interview is the result of an agreement reached last month in federal...
Aug 7, 2020 10:39 AM CDT
Court Rules Against Trump on Ex-Counsel McGahn
House panel can move ahead with effort to make him testify
- A federal appeals court in Washington on Friday revived House Democrats' lawsuit to force former White House counsel Don McGahn to appear before a congressional committee, per the AP . The full US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit voted 7-2 in ruling that the House Judiciary Committee...
Feb 28, 2020 5:10 PM CST
Court: McGahn Doesn't Have to Testify
Trump Wins a Ruling Reversing House Democrats' November Victory
- A federal appeals court decided Friday that House Democrats can't force former White House counsel Don McGahn to testify before them. The panel's 2-1 vote provides President Trump a victory in his effort to keep top advisers from testifying before Congress, as he did during the impeachment hearings,...
House Democrats Say Trump
Could Be Impeached Again
Dec 24, 2019 5:28 AM CST
House Democrats Say Trump Could Be Impeached Again
Lawyers are still seeking Don McGahn testimony
- President Trump, the third president in American history to be impeached, could be the first to be impeached twice. House Democrats said in a court filing Monday that new articles of impeachment could be introduced if new evidence shows that Trump tried to obstruct the Russia investigation, Politico reports. The...
Nov 26, 2019 11:47 AM CST
In McGahn Ruling, the Stakes Are High
Could affect separation of powers, along with the impeachment inquiry
- Will former White House counsel Don McGahn have to testify before Congress about his old boss? A federal judge ruled Monday that he must, but the Justice Department said Tuesday that it will appeal, reports the Hill . No word yet on when a final resolution to the case might come,...
McGahn Can't Dodge
Testifying, Judge Rules
Nov 25, 2019 6:10 PM CST
McGahn Can't Dodge Testifying, Judge Rules
'No one is above the law,' federal court decision says
- House Democrats won a court victory Monday in their battle with the Trump administration over subpoenas, when a federal judge ruled that Don McGahn must testify before Congress. The administration had argued that the former White House counsel had "absolute immunity" from legislative summons, the
Makes Big Move
on Don McGahn
Aug 7, 2019 4:14 PM CDT
House Panel Makes Big Move on Don McGahn
Sues to force former White House counsel to testify
- The House Judiciary Committee took another step toward possible impeachment proceedings, filing a lawsuit in federal court on Wednesday aimed at forcing former White House counsel Donald McGahn to testify about his interactions with President Trump, the AP reports. McGahn was a star witness in special counsel Robert Mueller's...
Nadler's Next Move
Is a Trip to Court
Jul 26, 2019 2:36 PM CDT
Nadler's Next Move Is a Trip to Court
Judiciary Committee wants grand jury evidence, McGahn's testimony
- Now that he's heard from Robert Mueller , Jerry Nadler plans to go to court to demand that evidence the special prosecutor accumulated using a grand jury be turned over. Nadler has tried to get the Russia investigation information before; now a judge will be asked to enforce the House...
This Week Could Be
Huge in DC
Jul 22, 2019 1:46 PM CDT
This Week Could Be Huge in DC
The big agenda item: Robert Mueller testifies on Wednesday
- Just how important are next few days in DC? Well, this "could be one of the most momentous weeks" in the remainder of President Trump's term, one "that could set the tone for the rest of his first term," according to Politico's Playbook blog. The...
House Panel Can Now Sue
Barr, Other Officials If Needed
Jun 11, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
House Panel Can Now Sue Barr, Other Officials If Needed
To force compliance with congressional subpoenas
- Brushing back calls for impeachment, Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Tuesday "it's not even close" to having enough support in the House, while Democrats pushed forward on other fronts to investigate President Trump, the AP reports. The House voted 229-191 Tuesday to approve a resolution that will allow Democrats...
House Panel Ramps Up
Fight With 2 More Subpoenas
May 21, 2019 4:05 PM CDT
House Panel Ramps Up Fight With 2 More Subpoenas
This time for Hope Hicks and a former McGahn aide
- The House Judiciary Committee has subpoenaed former White House communications director Hope Hicks and a former aide in the White House counsel's office as Democrats continue their investigations of President Trump. The committee subpoenaed Hicks for documents and for testimony at a public hearing, the AP reports. It subpoenaed...
McGahn Is a
Now Come the
May 21, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
McGahn Is a No-Show, and Now Come the Consequences
'We will hold this President accountable—one way or the other,' says House Judiciary chair
- The lines were drawn Tuesday as former White House counsel Don McGahn defied a subpoena to testify in front of the House Judiciary committee, as expected . Also as expected, House Democrats indicated they would move to hold him in contempt. "Let me be clear. This committee will hear Mr....
Dems Talk Impeachment After
McGahn Defies Subpoena
May 21, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
Dems Talk Impeachment After McGahn Defies Subpoena
Nadler slams Trump's 'lawless conduct'
- House Democrats are facing yet another attempt by President Trump to stonewall their investigations, this time with former White House counsel Donald McGahn defying a subpoena for his testimony on orders from the White House, the AP reports. A lawyer for McGahn said he would follow the president's directive...
Don McGahn Could Be a
Glaring No-Show Tomorrow
May 20, 2019 2:26 PM CDT
Don McGahn Could Be a Glaring No-Show Tomorrow
'NYT' reports Trump may tell him to defy a House subpoena
- Former White House counsel Don McGahn is slated to appear before the House Judiciary Committee Tuesday, but that may not come to pass. The
New York Times
is reporting by way of a source that the president intends to tell McGahn to defy the subpoena—and arm him with a...
Trump Asked, Twice.
McGahn Said No Way
May 11, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
Trump Asked, Twice. McGahn Said No Way
The former White House counsel angered the president
- Don McGahn just can't seem to shake his old boss. President Trump has twice asked the former White House counsel to deny that he thought Trump obstructed justice with the Mueller probe—and McGahn refused both times, insiders say. The White House first asked him after reading a pre-release...
May 7, 2019 2:36 PM CDT
McGahn Defies House Subpoena
Former White House counsel won't comply with Tuesday deadline
- Don McGahn won't be complying with the House Judiciary Committee's subpoena. The AP reports that the Trump administration ordered the former White House counsel to defy the subpoena, and Politico confirms that McGahn's lawyer said McGahn would not provide the documents the committee wants to review. The...
Apr 22, 2019 5:46 PM CDT
House Panel Subpoenas McGahn
Former White House counsel is first witness summoned since Mueller report was released
- The House Judiciary Committee had already approved issuing subpoenas for former White House counsel Don McGahn and a few others. Now that Robert Mueller's report has been released, the committee has taken the next step, summoning McGahn to testify May 21. The panel, run by Democrats, also wants certain...
This Man May Have Saved
Apr 19, 2019 1:09 PM CDT
This Man May Have Saved Trump's Presidency
Chris Cillizza: White House counsel Don McGahn's refusal to fire Mueller is critical
- Former White House counsel Don McGahn sat for more than 30 hours of interviews with Robert Mueller's team and shows up on a whopping 66 pages of the 448-page Mueller report, notes Axios . President Trump is apparently none too pleased, based on a series of critical tweets that appear...
Trump Keeping Options Open
on Mueller Reaction
Apr 18, 2019 7:27 AM CDT
Trump Keeping Options Open on Mueller Reaction
It might depend on how much current or former aides said about him, family
- President Trump's team of lawyers and aides plan to come out swinging Thursday as the Mueller report is released to lawmakers after 11am. Conversations between the White House and Justice Department have helped craft Trump's initial defense strategy, expected to include TV appearances by personal lawyers Jay Sekulow...
: Trump Wanted DoJ
to Prosecute Comey, Clinton
Nov 21, 2018 2:12 AM CST
: Trump Wanted DoJ to Prosecute Comey, Clinton
Sources say McGahn persuaded him not to
- President Trump wanted to order the Justice Department to prosecute Hillary Clinton and James Comey but was persuaded not to, according to a bombshell report in the
New York Times,
which cites "two people familiar with the conversation." The sources say then-White House counsel Donald McGahn told Trump...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.