Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 37 |
Coroner: We May Never
Know What Happened
to Otto Warmbier
Sep 28, 2017 4:24 AM CDT
Coroner: We May Never Know What Happened to Otto Warmbier
She says cause of brain damage can't be determined
- The death of Otto Warmbier is a mystery and it will probably stay that way unless somebody from North Korea comes forward with information, Hamilton County Coroner Lakshmi Sammarco says. At a press conference in Cincinnati Wednesday, the coroner said the American student's death was caused by complications from...
Coroner's Report Deepens
Otto Warmbier Mystery
Sep 27, 2017 6:21 AM CDT
Coroner's Report Deepens Otto Warmbier Mystery
Body did not show signs of extensive torture
- Something terrible clearly happened to Otto Warmbier while the American student was in North Korean custody—but an Ohio coroner found nothing to back up accounts that he was severely tortured. In a coroner's report seen by the
, Hamilton County medical officials say the 22-year-old's teeth...
Otto Warmbier Made 'Inhuman
Sounds' While in Coma
Sep 26, 2017 11:19 AM CDT
Otto Warmbier Made 'Inhuman Sounds' While in Coma
'North Korea is not a victim,' says dad Fred Warmbier
- If anyone is feeling sympathetic toward North Korea as its war of words with the US ramps up, Otto Warmbier's family has a message: "North Korea is not a victim. They're terrorists." In their first lengthy comments since Warmbier's death days after the 22-year-old University...
It Will Soon Be Illegal
to Use US Passports
to Enter One Country
Jul 21, 2017 9:30 AM CDT
It Will Soon Be Illegal to Use US Passports to Enter One Country
New rule regarding North Korea expected to be unveiled soon
- The Trump administration will ban American citizens from traveling to North Korea following the death of university student Otto Warmbier , reports the AP . Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has decided to impose a "geographic travel restriction" for North Korea, which would make it illegal to use US passports to...
School Dumps Professor
Over Otto Warmbier Rant
Jun 26, 2017 7:29 AM CDT
School Dumps Professor Over Otto Warmbier Rant
Kathy Dettwyler will not be rehired at University of Delaware
- A University of Delaware professor is out of a job after claiming Otto Warmbier "got exactly what he deserved." Adjunct anthropology professor Kathy Dettwyler, 62, who recently finished up a spring contract at the school, "will not be rehired to teach at the university in the future,...
Trump White House Tried
to Free US Hostage in Syria
Jun 24, 2017 8:51 AM CDT
Trump White House Tried to Free US Hostage in Syria
CIA chief had secret talks for journalist Austin Tice, but to no avail
- The Trump administration has been trying to get another US hostage home: Austin Tice . The
New York Times
reports that clandestine talks between CIA director Mike Pompeo and Syrian intelligence chief Ali Mamlouk began in February to initiate the release of the American journalist and former Marine, who went missing...
Professor Goes on Warmbier
Rant: 'Got What He Deserved'
Jun 24, 2017 6:10 AM CDT
Professor Goes on Warmbier Rant: 'Got What He Deserved'
The internet is not happy with a University of Delaware professor's comments
- A University of Delaware professor is causing a riot online after posting to her personal Facebook page that student Otto Warmbier "got exactly what he deserved" following his death Monday upon returning from North Korea. According to
, adjunct anthropology professor Kathy Dettwyler went off on students like...
Are 'So Happy'
Jun 23, 2017 12:40 PM CDT
Dennis Rodman: North Koreans Are 'So Happy'
Claims he helped facilitate Otto Warmbier's return
- Visiting North Korea is like visiting any other Asian country, says Dennis Rodman. You're "going to see some poverty," but the country is "civilized" and the people are "so happy" under the control of a dictator who, with Rodman at least, sings karaoke and rides...
A Defensive North Korea
Issues Comment on Warmbier
Jun 23, 2017 6:42 AM CDT
A Defensive North Korea Issues Comment on Warmbier
As thousands gather for Ohio funeral service
- North Korea—which handed back Otto Warmbier in a coma after imprisoning him for 17 months—is denying that it tortured the young American. In Pyongyang's first comment since Warmbier's death on Monday , North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency said Friday that the 22-year-old was treated...
Doctor: Cause of Warmbier's
Coma 'Almost a Moot Point'
Jun 21, 2017 5:17 AM CDT
Doctor: Cause of Warmbier's Coma 'Almost a Moot Point'
Family has decided against an autopsy
- Otto Warmbier's funeral is on Thursday and the 22-year-old's family has decided against having an autopsy first, the Hamilton County, Ohio coroner says. The coroner's office says, contrary to earlier reports , that the family has requested there be no autopsy, though an "external examination" was carried...
Blood Clot, Pneumonia May
Have Killed Otto Warmbier
Jun 20, 2017 1:36 PM CDT
Blood Clot, Pneumonia May Have Killed Otto Warmbier
Autopsy results are expected Tuesday or Wednesday
- When Otto Warmbier was returned from North Korea last week after being held for more than a year, he was in a state of "unresponsive wakefulness" but otherwise stable—until he died suddenly Monday. Now NBC News reports doctors are trying to figure out what happened. One expert says...
McCain: Kim Regime
Murdered Otto Warmbier
Jun 20, 2017 6:37 AM CDT
McCain: Kim Regime Murdered Otto Warmbier
US might ban travel to North Korea
- Otto Warmbier is dead less than a week after returning to the US from North Korea, and lawmakers including Sen. John McCain say Pyongyang must be held accountable. The 22-year-old American, who spent 17 months in detention in North Korea, "was murdered by the Kim Jong Un regime,"...
Otto Warmbier Is Dead,
Jun 19, 2017 3:56 PM CDT
Otto Warmbier Is Dead, Family Says
Statement says he died Monday afternoon
- Otto Warmbier, the US student detained in North Korea and recently freed after almost a year and a half, died Monday afternoon, his family says in a statement obtained by the
. Warmbier returned to the US in a coma and never awoke; in the statement, his family says...
North Korea Brutalized a
Young American. Now What?
Jun 19, 2017 10:59 AM CDT
North Korea Brutalized a Young American. Now What?
Op-ed: 'I can't stop thinking about Otto Warmbier'
- As if the world needed more proof, the tragic case of Otto Warmbier surfaces to reinforce just how brutal the North Korean regime is, writes Fred Hiatt in the
. As UN human rights investigators have found, the nation runs a prison system that has echoes of the Soviet...
Doctors: Otto Warmbier in State
of 'Unresponsive Wakefulness'
Jun 15, 2017 3:24 PM CDT
Doctors: Otto Warmbier in State of 'Unresponsive Wakefulness'
He hasn't spoken or shown signs of understanding language since his return
- In a Thursday morning news conference, a rep for the University of Cincinnati Medical Center revealed little about its highest-profile patient, saying only that Otto Warmbier was stable and had experienced a "severe neurological injury." Some of the pieces got filled in this afternoon during a press conference...
As North Korea Issues Single
Comment, Otto's Dad Opens Up
Jun 15, 2017 6:41 AM CDT
As North Korea Issues Single Comment, Otto's Dad Opens Up
In a Tucker Carlson interview, with a Thursday news conference to follow
- North Korea has issued its first official comment since releasing Otto Warmbier, but it's not one that clears up the biggest questions. "Warmbier, who had been in hard labor, was sent back home on June 13, 2017, on humanitarian grounds according to the adjudication made on the same...
Doctor Disputes North Korea's
Story About American's Coma
Jun 14, 2017 6:32 AM CDT
Doctor Disputes North Korea's Story About American's Coma
Otto Warmbier landed in US, was rushed to University of Cincinnati Medical Center
- Blue and white ribbons lined the street near Otto Warmbier's family home Tuesday night as the American student freed by North Korea arrived back in Cincinnati. The 22-year-old, who is believed to have been in a coma for more than a year, was rushed to the University of Cincinnati...
Stories 21 - 37 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.