Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Should Get $240K
Jan 19, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Judge: Warmbiers Should Get $240K
Parents of late college student were awarded $500M from North Korea in 2018
- The parents of Otto Warmbier, a US student who died after being taken hostage by North Korea and released in a coma in 2017, should receive $240,300 seized from a North Korean bank account, a federal judge ruled last week. The amount would be a partial payment toward the...
Oct 22, 2019 3:16 AM CDT
Feds Awarded North Korean Cargo Ship
Wise Honest likely to end up as scrap
- A North Korean cargo ship seized earlier this year for allegedly violating sanctions is now the property of the United States government. A federal court in New York ordered for the Wise Honest to be forfeited to the US government and for the Treasury Department to "dispose" of it,...
Warmbier's Parents: That
North Korean Ship Is Ours
Jul 6, 2019 4:40 PM CDT
Warmbier's Parents: That North Korean Ship Is Ours
They want compensation after wrongful death claim
- The parents of Otto Warmbier have filed a claim for a seized North Korean cargo ship in a bid to collect a multimillion-dollar judgment in the American college student's death, the AP reports. Attorneys for the Warmbiers said in a court filing Wednesday they have a right to the...
He Signed $2M Warmbier
Pledge, Thinks We Should Pay
Apr 29, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
He Signed $2M Warmbier Pledge, Thinks We Should Pay
Joseph Yun speaks to CNN
- "No money was paid to North Korea for Otto Warmbier, not two Million Dollars, not anything else," President Trump insisted on Friday. That may be the case, but the former North Korea envoy tells CNN he did indeed sign an agreement to pay Pyongyang $2 million for Warmbier'...
Trump on $2M 'Bill' for 'Our
Great Otto': I Paid Nothing
Apr 26, 2019 11:41 AM CDT
Trump on $2M 'Bill' for 'Our Great Otto': I Paid Nothing
President insists no money was paid to North Korea for Otto Warmbier
- On Thursday, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders noted that the administration doesn't comment on hostage negotiations, a remark necessitated by reports that North Korea billed the US $2 million for Otto Warmbier's hospice care before the 21-year-old student was sent back to the US in 2017. On...
North Korea Billed US
$2M for Warmbier's Care
Apr 26, 2019 2:00 AM CDT
North Korea Billed US $2M for Warmbier's Care
Trump ordered the deal signed, but the bill hasn't been paid
- North Korea insisted the US agree to pay $2 million in medical costs in 2017 before it released detained American college student Otto Warmbier while he was in a coma, a former US official said Thursday. An envoy sent to North Korea to retrieve the 21-year-old student signed an agreement...
8 Big Lines From
Trump's CPAC Speech
Mar 3, 2019 7:00 AM CST
8 Big Lines From Trump's CPAC Speech
President has a strong word in regard to the Mueller investigation
- President Trump addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference for more than two hours Saturday, going off-script frequently in what ended up being the longest speech of his presidency, reports NBC News . "This is how I got elected, by being off script," said Trump. "And if we don’...
Trump on Warmbier
Remarks: 'I Never
Mar 2, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Trump on Warmbier Remarks: 'I Never Like Being Misinterpreted'
'Of course I hold North Korea responsible,' president tweeted, not naming Kim Jong Un directly
- President Trump said Thursday that "some really, really bad things" happened to college student Otto Warmbier in North Korea, leading to his eventual death after he was returned to the US, but Trump added that he believed Kim Jong Un when he said he had no clue about what...
Warmbier's Parents Respond
to Trump's Defense of Kim
Mar 1, 2019 10:48 AM CST
Warmbier's Parents Respond to Trump's Defense of Kim
'Kim and his evil regime are responsible for the death of our son'
- President Trump may be letting Kim Jong Un personally off the hook for the death of Otto Warmbier, but Warmbier's parents are not. “We have been respectful during this summit process. Now we must speak out,” said Fred and Cindy Warmbier in a short statement, per ABC...
Split With Trump
on Kim, Warmbier
Mar 1, 2019 8:47 AM CST
Republicans Split With Trump on Kim, Warmbier
'The blood of Otto Warmbier is on the hands of Kim Jong Un'
- If President Trump truly believes Kim Jong Un was unaware of the "really really bad things" that happened to Otto Warmbier in North Korea, then he's been sold a massive lie, according to Bill Richardson. "It is inconceivable that [with] such a high-profile American prisoner like Otto...
Trump: I Trust Kim
on Otto Warmbier
Feb 28, 2019 7:30 AM CST
Trump: I Trust Kim on Otto Warmbier
President says North Korean leader not responsible for US student's death
- The summit between President Trump and Kim Jong Un may have ended abruptly , but there's at least one sensitive subject that seems to have been smoothed over: the treatment of Otto Warmbier . Trump says he doesn't hold the North Korean leader personally responsible for the University of Virginia...
Court Orders North Korea to Pay
Family of Otto Warmbier $500M
Dec 24, 2018 2:15 PM CST
Court Orders North Korea to Pay Family of Otto Warmbier $500M
The family of the late student detained in the Hermit Kingdom for a year wanted $1 billion
- A court has ordered North Korea to pay the family of the late Otto Warmbier the massive sum of $501 million for what a judge called the country's role in the ‘torture, hostage taking and extrajudicial killing’ of the 22-year-old University of Virginia student, Newsweek reports. Per Bloomberg...
Trump: I'm 'All Alone (Poor Me)'
Waiting for Democrats' Offer
Dec 24, 2018 1:47 PM CST
Trump: I'm 'All Alone (Poor Me)' Waiting for Democrats' Offer
But no deal to end the government shutdown was in sight
- President Trump hit on no shortage of topics on Twitter Monday, but one of his more memorable tweets concerned the government shutdown. "I am all alone (poor me) in the White House waiting for the Democrats to come back and make a deal on desperately needed Border Security,"...
Otto Warmbier's Parents
Go After North Korea
Dec 21, 2018 11:31 AM CST
Otto Warmbier's Parents Go After North Korea
They demand $1B in lawsuit, accuse Pyongyang of torturing and murdering their son
- A decision by the White House last year to put North Korea on a list of state sponsors of terrorism opened up the regime to US lawsuits. Now the parents of Otto Warmbier are taking full advantage. They accuse the regime in Pyongyang of torturing and killing their son and...
The Story You've Heard About
Otto Warmbier May Be Wrong
in case you missed it
Jul 28, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
The Story You've Heard About Otto Warmbier May Be Wrong
Doug Bock Clark writes that his timeline suggests there was no torture
- Doug Bock Clark begins a lengthy piece for
on the fate of Otto Warmbier with a bold assertion: That what happened to the 21-year-old American college student "is even more shocking than anyone knew" and that he had the "untold story." So does he? The piece,...
In North Korea's Capital,
a Hotel With a 'Missing' Floor
Jun 18, 2018 2:45 PM CDT
In North Korea's Capital, a Hotel With a 'Missing' Floor
Calvin Sun recounts his 2011 trip to Pyongyang's Yanggakdo Hotel
- That Otto Warmbier's trouble began with an incident at the Yanggakdo Hotel in Pyongyang is well known, the details of it, less so. In front of North Korean reporters, the American confessed to "committ[ing] the crime of taking down a political slogan"— said to be a propaganda...
for Kim Meeting
Goes to One Person
Jun 12, 2018 9:55 AM CDT
Trump: Credit for Kim Meeting Goes to One Person
'Without Otto Warmbier, this summit wouldn't have happened'
- Before the event took place, President Trump said his historic summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un showed Otto Warmbier "has not died in vain." He upped that rhetoric Tuesday. "Without Otto Warmbier, this summit wouldn't have happened," Trump said, per
Trump: 'I Don't Think I Have to
Prepare Much' for Kim Summit
Jun 7, 2018 4:23 PM CDT
Trump: 'I Don't Think I Have to Prepare Much' for Kim Summit
And more big lines from president's appearance with Japan PM Shinzo Abe
- Heading into his North Korea summit with characteristic bravado, President Donald Trump said Thursday that "attitude" is more important than preparation as he looks to negotiate an accord with Kim Jong Un to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula, the AP reports. Preparing to depart Washington for the next week's...
Otto Warmbier's Parents
Sue North Korea Over His Death
Apr 26, 2018 5:34 PM CDT
Otto Warmbier's Parents Sue North Korea Over His Death
Wrongful death lawsuit may prove largely symbolic
- The parents of US college student Otto Warmbier filed a wrongful death lawsuit against North Korea on Thursday, saying its government "brutally tortured and murdered" their son, the
and the AP report. Fred and Cindy Warmbier filed the lawsuit in the US District Court in Washington, DC,...
Trump to Declare North Korea
a State Sponsor of Terrorism
Nov 20, 2017 11:20 AM CST
Trump to Declare North Korea a State Sponsor of Terrorism
White House cites killing of Kim Jong Un's half brother as one example
- President Trump said Monday that he intends to declare North Korea a state sponsor of terror. Trump called the move a long overdue step and part of the US "maximum pressure campaign" against Pyongyang, per the AP . North Korea was last on the US list of state sponsors of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.