Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump tax return
Stories 21 - 40 |
Apr 11, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Mnuchin Balked on Trump's Tax Returns. Watchdog: OK
Treasury sec's decision was based on DOJ advice, which acting Treasury IG didn't comment on
- A watchdog has found that the Treasury Department appropriately handled Congress' request for President Trump's tax returns, which Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has refused to provide. Rep. Richard Neal, the Massachusetts Democrat who chairs the House Ways and Means Committee, asked acting inspector general for the Treasury, Rich Delmar,...
Dec 5, 2019 3:30 PM CST
Trump to SCOTUS: Void Financial Records Subpoena
President asks Supreme Court to void House subpoena
- President Trump asked the Supreme Court on Thursday to void a subpoena from the House of Representatives that seeks the president's financial records from his accounting firm, the AP reports. The justices already have shielded the documents from being turned over while they consider whether to hear Trump's...
Trump Loses Another Court
Battle on Financial Records
Dec 3, 2019 12:57 PM CST
Trump Loses Another Court Battle on Financial Records
Supreme Court is next
- At some point soon, the Supreme Court will have to step in and decide once and for all: Can Congress look at President Trump's financial records? On Tuesday, Trump lost another legal battle to keep them private, this one in federal appeals court, reports Politico . The 2nd US Circuit...
High Court Puts
Hold on Trump
Nov 25, 2019 7:20 PM CST
High Court Puts Hold on Trump Tax Returns
Stay will be effect until justices decide whether to take case
- The Supreme Court kept a lower court ruling from taking effect Monday that would have allowed Congress to see President Trump's financial records, including tax returns. The justices were the last chance remaining for the president's lawyers, who had lost their arguments for not turning over the records...
In California, a
Victory for Trump
in Tax Return Fight
Nov 21, 2019 2:10 PM CST
In California, a Victory for Trump in Tax Return Fight
State's high court strikes down law requiring candidates to submit tax returns
- President Trump does not have to disclose his tax returns to appear as a candidate on California’s primary ballot next spring, a unanimous state Supreme Court ruled Thursday. The court said the law, the first of its kind in the nation and aimed squarely at Trump, was unconstitutional because...
Needs Some Time
on Trump Tax Returns
Nov 18, 2019 2:01 PM CST
Supreme Court Needs Some Time on Trump Tax Returns
High court's chief justice issues delay so court can figure out how to handle dispute
- Chief Justice John Roberts is ordering an indefinite delay in the House of Representatives’ demand for President Trump’s financial records to give the Supreme Court time to figure out how to handle the high-stakes dispute, the AP reports. Roberts’ order Monday contains no hint about what the court ultimately...
Trump Takes Tax Return Fight
With New York to the Top
Nov 14, 2019 6:15 PM CST
Trump Takes Tax Return Fight With New York to the Top
President argues immunity, asks justices to take up case this term
- Arguing that he's protected from criminal proceedings while in office, President Trump has asked the Supreme Court to reverse a lower court's order that he turn over financial records and tax returns to New York prosecutors. "We assert that the subpoena violates the US Constitution and therefore...
Court Rejects Trump's Appeal
in Fight Over Financial Records
Nov 14, 2019 2:38 AM CST
Court Rejects Trump's Appeal in Fight Over Financial Records
President expected to appeal to Supreme Court
- A federal appeals court will not take up President Trump’s appeal of a ruling that his accounting firm must turn over financial records to Congress . The order was handed down Wednesday by the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. It is almost certain that Trump...
Trump Loses a Round
on New York Tax Returns
Nov 11, 2019 3:31 PM CST
Trump Loses a Round on New York Tax Returns
President has other options to thwart House Democrats
- A federal judge on Monday tossed President Trump's attempt to keep House Democrats from getting to his state tax returns. Judge Carl Nichols ruled that the case mostly involves New York state law, so his Washington, DC, court isn't the place to consider it. The issue involves a...
Can Be Done if
Oct 23, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Lawyer: Nothing Can Be Done if Trump Shoots Someone
Lawyer argues he has immunity from state criminal law, but only while in office
- "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and wouldn’t lose any voters, okay?" then-candidate Donald Trump said . As president, he could do that without being arrested, at least while he remained in office, his lawyers argued in front of the US Second Circuit...
ProPublica Sees Conflicting
Figures in Trump Tax Records
Oct 16, 2019 12:19 PM CDT
ProPublica Sees Conflicting Figures in Trump Tax Records
Relating to two Trump Organization properties in NYC
- Tax records relating to President Trump's businesses are notoriously tough to access—but ProPublica managed to get its hands on some and sees "major inconsistencies." As Heather Vogell writes, ProPublica obtained property tax documents for four of the Trump Organization's NYC properties (they were public because...
There's Another Whistleblower
Oct 2, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
There's Another Whistleblower
And this one has made an accusation about Trump's tax returns
- Tired of reading about the President Trump whistleblower complaint? Well there's another complaint involving Trump that kind of flew under the media radar, Business Insider reports. Turns out a federal worker presented "an unsolicited communication" on July 29 summarizing allegations of "inappropriate efforts to influence" the compulsory...
A Victory for Trump
in Tax Return Fight
Sep 19, 2019 4:42 PM CDT
A Victory for Trump in Tax Return Fight
Victory in California as president sues Manhattan DA
- A federal judge on Thursday handed President Trump a victory in his effort to keep his financial information secret, siding with his campaign's effort to block a California law aimed at forcing him to release his tax returns, the AP reports. The ruling by US District Judge Morrison England...
Sep 16, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
NYC Prosecutors Subpoena Trump Tax Returns
President's accounting firm says it will comply
- New York City prosecutors have subpoenaed President Trump's tax returns, a person familiar with the matter told the AP on Monday. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr.'s office recently sent a subpoena to Trump's accounting firm seeking the past eight years of state and federal tax...
GOP, Trump Sue California Over
'Unprecedented' Election Law
Aug 6, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
GOP, Trump Sue California Over 'Unprecedented' Election Law
Newsom signed rule requiring tax return release to appear on primary ballot
- The Trump campaign and Republican Party sued California on Tuesday over a new ( and "unprecedented" ) law requiring presidential candidates to release their tax returns to run in the state's primary, legislation that was aimed at prying loose President Trump's returns. California's law is "...
Aug 1, 2019 5:59 PM CDT
Judge Puts Hold on Trump's State Tax Returns
President sued to block House access
- Despite passing a law to permit it, New York can't hand over President Trump's state tax returns to a congressional committee quite yet. U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols, who was appointed by Trump, issued the order Thursday. The president sued last week over the new law, and...
Trump Hits Back in
Fight Over Tax Returns
Jul 23, 2019 6:23 PM CDT
Trump Hits Back in Fight Over Tax Returns
Files lawsuit against House panel, New York officials
- Opening up another legal front against the Democrats investigating him, President Trump on Tuesday sued the House Ways and Means Committee and New York state officials to prevent his state tax returns from being turned over to the congressional committee, the AP reports. The lawsuit seeks an injunction to block...
IRS Memo Contradicts
Trump Tax Returns
May 22, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
IRS Memo Contradicts Administration on Trump Tax Returns
It rejects Mnuchin's reason for withholding them
- A draft Internal Revenue Service memo obtained by the
directly undercuts Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin's rationale for refusing to give President Trump's tax returns to House lawmakers—and may expose a rift in the IRS over the issue. The legal memo prepared last fall states that...
May 17, 2019 5:05 PM CDT
Administration Turns Back Subpoena for Trump's Tax Returns
House chairman says he's considering his next legal step after Mnuchin's refusal
- Again saying there's no "legitimate legislative" reason for seeking President Trump's tax returns, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin rejected a House committee's subpoena for the documents on Friday. His letter kicks the issue back to the House, Politico reports, where Democrats will have to decide how to...
His Response to
$1B Loss Story
May 8, 2019 8:49 AM CDT
Trump Tweets His Response to $1B Loss Story
He cites 'massive write offs and depreciation' following 'hit job'
- With #BillionDollarLoser and #BiggestLoser trending on Twitter, President Trump went on the defense Wednesday, suggesting a reported $1.1 billion in losses over 10 years was no big deal. Real estate developers in the 1980s and '90s "were entitled to massive write offs and depreciation which would, if...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.