Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
DA: Decision on
Charges 'Imminent' in
2020 Election Case
Jan 24, 2023 5:11 PM CST
DA: Decision on Charges 'Imminent' in 2020 Election Case
Georgia grand jury's report on Trump case is staying private for now
- The Georgia grand jury investigating whether Donald Trump and his allies committed crimes in the state after the 2020 election completed its work earlier this month—but Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, the lead prosecutor, wants its final report to stay private for now. At a hearing Tuesday, she...
Trump's Legal Fate in Georgia
Now Lies With Local DA
Jan 9, 2023 2:28 PM CST
Trump's Legal Fate in Georgia Now Lies With Local DA
Fulton County DA Fani Willis to decide on indictment based on grand jury report
- The special grand jury in Atlanta that has been investigating whether then-President Donald Trump and his allies committed any crimes while trying to overturn his 2020 election loss in Georgia has finished its work, bringing the case closer to possible criminal charges against Trump and others. Per the AP , Fulton...
DeSantis Has Musk's Vote
Nov 26, 2022 11:35 AM CST
DeSantis Has Musk's Vote
Twitter owner has found Biden disappointing
- Whether he wants it or not, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis would seem to have the backing of Elon Musk in the 2024 presidential race. Musk proclaimed his endorsement in a "yes" tweet when asked if he would support DeSantis, NBC News reports. "My preference for the 2024 presidency...
Lindsey Graham Testifies
Before Special Grand Jury
Nov 22, 2022 7:46 PM CST
Lindsey Graham Testifies Before Special Grand Jury
Republican senator took fight against testifying in Georgia all the way to the Supreme Court
- Sen. Lindsey Graham testified Tuesday before a special grand jury that's investigating whether then-President Donald Trump and others illegally meddled in the 2020 election in Georgia. The South Carolina Republican's appearance before the panel came after a drawn-out legal fight that went all the way to the Supreme...
It's No Longer
a Close Call
Nov 9, 2022 2:41 PM CST
It's No Longer a Close Call in Florida
Analysts look behind the embrace of Republicans and ahead to a lengthy GOP reign
- Both parties have gotten used to Florida being just as likely to go with either party, in any election—a state whose presidential race winner and loser have been separated by 0.009% of the vote and whose 2000 race was so close it took more than a month to...
Nov 2, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Emails Show Trump Team Was Counting on Thomas
Eastman agreed in newly released emails discussing overturning election results
- Emails to and from lawyers for then-President Donald Trump show they thought the effort to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election depended on the help of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. A federal judge in California ordered that the eight emails be released, the
Judge Rips Giuliani
in Preserving Lawsuit
Oct 31, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Judge Rips Giuliani in Preserving Lawsuit
Opinion supports defamation filing on harm done to Georgia election workers
- A federal judge on Monday declined to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed against former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani by two women who served as election workers in Georgia in November 2020. In the lawsuit filed last December, Ruby Freeman and Wandrea "Shaye" Moss accused Giuliani of defaming...
Judge Orders Meadows to
Testify in Georgia Election Case
Oct 26, 2022 1:06 PM CDT
Judge Orders Meadows to Testify in Georgia Election Case
Former WH chief of staff is a 'necessary and material witness,' court filing states
- A judge on Wednesday ordered former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows to testify before a special grand jury that's investigating whether then-President Trump and his allies illegally tried to influence the state's 2020 election. Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis opened the investigation early last year...
Thomas Blocks Order
for Graham's Testimony
Oct 24, 2022 1:37 PM CDT
Thomas Blocks Order for Graham's Testimony
Senator argues that he doesn't have to answer questions in Georgia election case
- Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Monday temporarily blocked Sen. Lindsey Graham's testimony to a special grand jury investigating whether then-President Trump and others illegally tried to influence the 2020 election in the state. Thomas' order is intended to prevent Fani Willis, Fulton County district attorney, from compelling Graham...
Graham Turns to Supreme Court
to Block Grand Jury Subpoena
Oct 21, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Graham Turns to Supreme Court to Block Grand Jury Subpoena
Appeals panel unanimously rejected Republican's request a day earlier
: Stymied by a federal appeals court on Thursday, Sen. Lindsey Graham turned to the Supreme Court on Friday to try to avoid appearing before a grand jury investigating possible efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election. The South Carolina Republican filed the emergency request with Justice Clarence Thomas, who...
Judge: Trump Knew Election
Fraud Numbers Were Wrong
Oct 20, 2022 5:52 AM CDT
Judge: Trump Knew Election Fraud Numbers Were Wrong
But he 'continued to tout those numbers, both in court and to the public'
- Former President Trump knew that the numbers in legal documents alleging voter fraud were false but he signed them anyway, a federal judge said Wednesday. US District Court Judge David O. Carter said Trump attorney John Eastman needs to turn four emails over the House panel investigating the Jan. 6...
Senate Candidate's Relatives
Come Out Hard—for His Rival
Oct 14, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Senate Candidate's Relatives Come Out Hard—for His Rival
14 family members of Nevada's Adam Laxalt, a Republican, want voters to cast ballot for Dem
- The GOP has claimed the mantle of being the party of "traditional family values," but Republican Adam Laxalt can't even get a good chunk of his own family on board his campaign as he runs for a US Senate seat in Nevada, a key toss-up state in...
Ginni Thomas Reaches Deal
With House Jan. 6 Committee
Sep 22, 2022 12:19 AM CDT
Ginni Thomas Reaches Deal With House Jan. 6 Committee
Wife of Clarence Thomas agrees to be interviewed
- The House panel investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol is getting what it wants : Sources told outlets including CNN and NBC News that Virginia "Ginni" Thomas, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, had reached an agreement with the select committee and would sit down...
Footage Offers Clues to
Breach at Ga. Elections Office
Sep 6, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Footage Offers Clues to Breach at Ga. Elections Office
Head of local GOP escorted data forensics experts said to be hired by pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell
- Computer experts who allegedly copied sensitive software and data from voting equipment following the 2020 election spent hours at an elections office in rural Georgia on Jan. 7, 2021—the day after the Capitol insurrection—where they were greeted by the then-head of the local Republican party. Footage reviewed by...
State on Election
Sep 1, 2022 3:56 PM CDT
Ginni Thomas Pressured Second State on Election
Emails show justice's wife called for rejecting Biden's victory and replacing electors in 2 states
- Emails show that the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas pressured legislators in Wisconsin to throw out President Biden's 2020 election victory there—just as she had Arizona lawmakers. Ginni Thomas' emails to Arizona on Nov. 9 were reported in June, but the Wisconsin lobbying wasn't known...
Eastman Invokes the Fifth
Before Georgia Grand Jury
Aug 31, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Eastman Invokes the Fifth Before Georgia Grand Jury
Trump lawyer's attorneys slam 'criminalization of unpopular legal theories'
- Lawyer John Eastman, a key player in former President Donald Trump's efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss, appeared for a deposition before a grand jury in Georgia on Wednesday, and his attorneys say he asserted attorney-client privilege and his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination "when appropriate."...
A State Lawmaker
Defects From GOP
Aug 23, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
A State Lawmaker Defects From GOP
Colorado's Kevin Priola cites GOP positions on climate change, claims of a stolen election
- On Sunday, Democrats held a 20-15 edge in the Colorado state Senate. On Monday, their advantage rose to 21-14, but not because of a special election. Instead, longtime Republican Kevin Priola switched parties to become a Democrat, reports the
. In a public letter , he cited two main reasons:...
Court Puts Hold
Aug 21, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Court Puts Hold on Graham's Testimony
Appeals panel allows time to consider establishing boundaries for grand jury questions
- Sen. Lindsey Graham apparently will not have to testify before a Georgia grand jury on Tuesday. A federal appeals court put a temporary stop on the subpoena on Sunday that would have required Graham's presence before the grand jury investigating attempts to pressure state officials into altering 2020 presidential...
In Georgia, Giuliani
Faces 6 Hours of Questions
Aug 17, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
In Georgia, Giuliani Faces 6 Hours of Questions
It's not clear whether he answered any of them in grand jury appearance
: Rudy Giuliani complied with a subpoena and appeared before a special grand jury in Georgia for around six hours Wednesday—but it's not clear whether the Trump attorney answered any questions. Giuliani attorney Bob Costello, who said Monday that he had been told Giuliani was a target of...
Gets Bad News
Aug 15, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
SC senator is ordered to testify about calls he made after Trump's loss in 2020 election
- Lindsey Graham just lost a key battle in his fight to avoid testifying about his actions after the 2020 election. A federal judge in Atlanta on Monday ruled that the GOP senator from South Carolina must appear before a special grand jury in Fulton County that's investigating election meddling...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.